Diary of a Blues Goddess

Diary of a Blues Goddess

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Georgie is a glamorous blues singer in waiting, but unfortunately she's living the life of a cheesy wedding singer. Living in a converted former brothel in New Orleans' French Quarter with her grandmother and various other eccentrics, she discovers a diary from the 1940s written by her great-aunt, a talented blues singer. Struggling to get her life on the right track, Geor...more
Published July 1st 2003 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Blues Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Blues Goddess

Cheryl
My younger self must have really liked this book. It was one of those books that lives on your shelf and you've read more than once.

My (slightly) older self did not love this book. The characters are all stereotypes of everything you could possibly imagine. There is very little to feel while reading this book. We're told all these things from the main character, Georgia, but the author doesn't really let us see these. Rather than portray happiness or sadness through words, we're simply told some...more
*ile*
Un libro molto tranquillo, senza colpi di scena e senza episodi degni di nota.
Molto piacevoli le descrizioni dell'atmosfera di New Orleans, accurate e sembra quasi di poterne respirare gli odori autentici.
Non è all'altezza degli altri della serie Red Dress Ink, in quanto molto meno ironico e senza la verve che contraddistingue gli altri romanzi.
L'unico punto di umorismo lo si ha grazie alla presenza di alcune drag queen che fanno da contorno alla protagonistra principale, anche se, con un ruo...more
Charlotte
Mar 05, 2014 Charlotte added it
Shelves: for-sale
$3.00
Deborah
Musicians, drag queens, a haunted former brothel, an old secret diary, all set in New Orleans... Georgia is a wedding singer who really wants to sing the Blues. She drifts from man to man while missing her dead mother and a father who disappeared years ago. Her grandma raised her in her haunted bothel, now called the Heartbreak Hotel. In it's many rooms lives friends who have suffered a broken heart and take care of one another.
Shaula
Given all of its quirky elements, I felt like this book should be less conventional than it was. It was fun and the characters were interesting, but sometimes they seemed like parodies of themselves . Not a bad read by any means, but it could have been greater than the sum of its parts and it wasn't.
Oct 21, 2008 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Tania
This book was a super fast read and really entertaining. I enjoyed the story a great deal, though the writer seemed to throw in bold language at times that weren't necessary and didn't always go with the flow of the story - like on the last page.
Kori
A wedding singer living in a haunted (former) brothel with a drag queen dreams of being a blues singer. After finding an old diary, with a little ghostly intervention, she discovers that singing the blues is in her blood. Chick lit for sure.
Anna
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think it's relaxing, something to read when you want to have fun without being too concentrate. I suggest it to all people who are still romantic and sometimes believe in spirits...
Kate Ferguson
This story hooked me from the first line. I gave to my sister as a present - only after I finished reading it myself. It was a fast and entertaining story that kept me entertained from start to finish.
Tye
Feb 15, 2013 Tye rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: novels
At first I had a hard time getting into this novel.

But, slowly I was sucked into the story.

I enjoyed it. I was actually very good.
Melinda Elizabeth
it was all bordering on the edge of ridiculousness, but with the guise of "This is New Orleans" it just manages to get away with it.
Becca
Picked this up in the 1/2 price bin at Food Lion. Loving it already, set in New Orleans, drag queens and musicians....looks fun so far.
Corinne
Fun book - makes you crave adventure and helps you to realize we all feel a lot of the same things on the journey through life.
Marci
Sweet little romantic tale. It's a feel-good book if there ever was one. I'm off to listen to some Etta James now.
Teena in Toronto
This is a fun light book that involves New Orleans, drag queens, blues music, broken hearts and ghosts.
Charity
Made me appreciate blues and jazz in a whole new way. The story itself wasn't really up my alley though.
Karen
Romance novels are just not my thing. Period. Trite, can't believe I finished it.
Athena
This was an excellent book with a blues-y look at New Orleans!
Tiffany
Loved this book ITs a fun easy read - I read it twice!
Marie Medina
A rich and touching story
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jocelyn Lindner
Jocelyn Lindner marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Suzie
Suzie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
"Erica Orloff is a native New Yorker, novelist, blogger, mother of four, chronic insomniac, alt-rock loving, voracious reader (and prolific writer) who has written over twenty novels across a number of genres and pen names. She currently lives in Virginia where she rarely sleeps, roots for the Yankees and the NY Giants, knits in her almost-never free time, herds worms with her six-year-old Pirate...more
More about Erica Orloff...
Illuminated Mafia Chic Do They Wear High Heels In Heaven? Freudian Slip Spanish Disco