Start by marking “Diary of a Blues Goddess” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Blues Goddess

Diary of a Blues Goddess

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  163 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Georgie is a glamorous blues singer in waiting, but unfortunately she's living the life of a cheesy wedding singer. Living in a converted former brothel in New Orleans' French Quarter with her grandmother and various other eccentrics, she discovers a diary from the 1940s written by her great-aunt, a talented blues singer. Struggling to get her life on the right track, Geor ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Red Dress Ink (first published July 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of a Blues Goddess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of a Blues Goddess

Tamara Mataya
Feb 10, 2016 Tamara Mataya rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I read this one. I LOVED the Red Dress Ink series, and was sad when they stopped the line.

This book in particular, I remember thinking that the book was WAY better than the blurb made it sound. It was sexy and interesting and great chick-lit (what some think of as a derogatory term, but I mean it with praise.) I'll have to re-read it again to see if it holds up to my memory of it!
Valerie
Dec 13, 2015 Valerie rated it really liked it
I first read this book when I was 8 (before someone considers calling CPS, I found it when it got misshelved at the bookstore and nobody bothered to check my reading material. I was not given this by a pervy relative). I didn't understand half of what was going on, but I was enthralled. I have read Diary at least 40 times since then, and my affection for it has only grown as I get older and experience the same things Georgia is going through. Her heartbreak, abandonment issues, and general confl ...more
Cheryl
Jan 13, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction, reread
My younger self must have really liked this book. It was one of those books that lives on your shelf and you've read more than once.

My (slightly) older self did not love this book. The characters are all stereotypes of everything you could possibly imagine. There is very little to feel while reading this book. We're told all these things from the main character, Georgia, but the author doesn't really let us see these. Rather than portray happiness or sadness through words, we're simply told some
Karyn Buchanan
Jun 22, 2016 Karyn Buchanan rated it it was amazing
A novel about believing in yourself, taking chances, and finding true love. Georgia is a wonderful character who learns what she wants, goes out to get it, and leaves the reader smiling.
*ile*
Sep 09, 2013 *ile* rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro molto tranquillo, senza colpi di scena e senza episodi degni di nota.
Molto piacevoli le descrizioni dell'atmosfera di New Orleans, accurate e sembra quasi di poterne respirare gli odori autentici.
Non è all'altezza degli altri della serie Red Dress Ink, in quanto molto meno ironico e senza la verve che contraddistingue gli altri romanzi.
L'unico punto di umorismo lo si ha grazie alla presenza di alcune drag queen che fanno da contorno alla protagonistra principale, anche se, con un ruo
Mel
$3.00
Deborah
Mar 08, 2011 Deborah rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction
Musicians, drag queens, a haunted former brothel, an old secret diary, all set in New Orleans... Georgia is a wedding singer who really wants to sing the Blues. She drifts from man to man while missing her dead mother and a father who disappeared years ago. Her grandma raised her in her haunted bothel, now called the Heartbreak Hotel. In it's many rooms lives friends who have suffered a broken heart and take care of one another.
Shaula
Sep 12, 2012 Shaula rated it liked it
Given all of its quirky elements, I felt like this book should be less conventional than it was. It was fun and the characters were interesting, but sometimes they seemed like parodies of themselves . Not a bad read by any means, but it could have been greater than the sum of its parts and it wasn't.
Oct 21, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tania
This book was a super fast read and really entertaining. I enjoyed the story a great deal, though the writer seemed to throw in bold language at times that weren't necessary and didn't always go with the flow of the story - like on the last page.
Kori
Jun 28, 2009 Kori rated it liked it
A wedding singer living in a haunted (former) brothel with a drag queen dreams of being a blues singer. After finding an old diary, with a little ghostly intervention, she discovers that singing the blues is in her blood. Chick lit for sure.
Anna
Aug 16, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. I think it's relaxing, something to read when you want to have fun without being too concentrate. I suggest it to all people who are still romantic and sometimes believe in spirits...
Kate Ferguson
Jan 25, 2008 Kate Ferguson rated it really liked it
This story hooked me from the first line. I gave to my sister as a present - only after I finished reading it myself. It was a fast and entertaining story that kept me entertained from start to finish.
Tye
Feb 15, 2013 Tye rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
At first I had a hard time getting into this novel.

But, slowly I was sucked into the story.

I enjoyed it. I was actually very good.
Melinda Elizabeth
Mar 29, 2013 Melinda Elizabeth rated it liked it
it was all bordering on the edge of ridiculousness, but with the guise of "This is New Orleans" it just manages to get away with it.
Becca
Oct 16, 2007 Becca rated it it was amazing
Picked this up in the 1/2 price bin at Food Lion. Loving it already, set in New Orleans, drag queens and musicians....looks fun so far.
Corinne
May 11, 2012 Corinne rated it really liked it
Fun book - makes you crave adventure and helps you to realize we all feel a lot of the same things on the journey through life.
Marci
Aug 30, 2009 Marci rated it liked it
Sweet little romantic tale. It's a feel-good book if there ever was one. I'm off to listen to some Etta James now.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
This is a fun light book that involves New Orleans, drag queens, blues music, broken hearts and ghosts.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it liked it
Made me appreciate blues and jazz in a whole new way. The story itself wasn't really up my alley though.
Karen
Jun 20, 2014 Karen rated it it was ok
Romance novels are just not my thing. Period. Trite, can't believe I finished it.
Athena
Apr 07, 2008 Athena rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book with a blues-y look at New Orleans!
Tiffany
Oct 10, 2008 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Loved this book ITs a fun easy read - I read it twice!
vania
vania marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Gimmel
Gimmel marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Stacy Moss-Paul
Stacy Moss-Paul marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Shelley Sikorski
Shelley Sikorski rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2016
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • The Matzo Ball Heiress
  • Scenes From A Holiday
  • Quiver
  • Bundle of Joy?
  • The Givenchy Code (Codebreaker Trilogy, #1)
  • Time After Time
  • The Girls' Global Guide to Guys
  • Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery, #4)
  • True Blood, Volume 3: The French Quarter
  • Women of Letters: Reviving The Lost Art of Correspondence
  • The Last Judgement (Jonathan Argyll, #4)
  • Confessions of a Serial Dater
  • Forget Me
  • The Boys on the Tracks: Death, Denial, and a Mother's Crusade to Bring Her Son's Killers to Justice
  • Claire Voyant
  • Drink Smoke Pass Out
  • Just Like a Man (OPUS prequel)
"Erica Orloff is a native New Yorker, novelist, blogger, mother of four, chronic insomniac, alt-rock loving, voracious reader (and prolific writer) who has written over twenty novels across a number of genres and pen names. She currently lives in Virginia where she rarely sleeps, roots for the Yankees and the NY Giants, knits in her almost-never free time, herds worms with her six-year-old Pirate ...more
More about Erica Orloff...