Start by marking “Engaging Men” as Want to Read:
Engaging Men

Engaging Men

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  362 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When three of her ex-boyfriends get married, Angie DiFranco begins to believe in the tight lid theory, which states that a man is first loosened up by one woman, who then leaves him for the next woman to pop off the lid, and wonders if Kirk, her latest boyfriend whose lid has already been loosene
Published May 1st 2003 by Red Dress Ink

To ask other readers questions about Engaging Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaging Men

Karschtl
Mar 26, 2008 Karschtl rated it really liked it
When reading the book I wondered why girls often want to get married so desperately. Especially American girls. I guess it has to do with their "dating-rules". You're considered as unattached as long as you don't have a ring on your finger, even if you've been going out with the same guy for several years now. Because you're only "dating" him.
Here in Europe this would be considered as being in a serious relationship, whether or not you are engaged. And I personally think that marriage is not tha
Sep 03, 2008 Jessica rated it it was ok
The main character is desperate to get married and then can't figure out what in the hell she wants. I was mostly annoyed and just wanted it to be over. Not a good example of chicklit.
Chi Dubinski
Sep 10, 2013 Chi Dubinski rated it it was ok
Chick lit story about an actress who tries to get her boyfriend to propose, because...well, just because.
Giuseppe Sirugo
Jul 10, 2016 Giuseppe Sirugo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gsesro
In questo libro Lynda Curnyn è agli allori della vita. La stesura non si potrebbe nemmeno considerare la tipica narrazione americana poiché nel suo contesto ha una tematica universale, almeno stando all’argomento che l’autrice scelse.
L’indugio del titolo: Uomini sotto… Pressione è sempre riflesso e oggettivo alla circostanza della protagonista. La tematica si po’ benissimo considerare universale perché rimane sinonimo di movimento di qualsiasi individuo, di qualsiasi razza o religione. Entra a
Sherri Hunter
Feb 24, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Surprised at how long this book has been sitting on my shelf...5 years is a long time. Better late than never...

Pretty good story about a woman so focused on what she thinks she wants, she very nearly misses out on what she needs the most. For the most part, I thought Angie epitomized the typical female wanting to have it all. And like most of us, what we think we want is not what we truly need. I thought Kirk was well written as the boyfriend who is focused on his career and isn't thinking beyo
Lynda
Oct 02, 2009 Lynda rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
I figured I would give chick-lit another try, but it seems like the plain truth is that I just don’t like it. All the books are the same and have absolutely no substance to them at all.

Angela DiFranco is 31 and dying to get married. Her coworker, Michelle believes that men are like a jar of pickles. Someone has to come along first and loosen the lid before you can get in there and pop it open. Michelle devises a number of different ways to make Angie’s boyfriend Kirk pop wide open. Of course he
Monica
Mar 09, 2015 Monica rated it really liked it
A cute read--I spent most of the book praying the main character would come to her senses and wasn't disappointed. Admittedly, I felt I could relate to a lot of it.
Natasha
Aug 10, 2015 Natasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: basement
I didn't expect this book to be good. I hand picked it off of a garage sale table for under one dollar, the pages had been wet therefore were crinkled. It just sounded good. So imagine my surprise when my hands were glued to the novel and I couldn't put it down! Angie DiFranco was such an animated character, and I felt like I was really her while reading. She's so relatable, and it seemed like I could be in her situation one day. I'd recommend it to anyone who is in desperate need of a good love ...more
Mackenzie
Jun 14, 2009 Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, 2009
What to say about this book? Well, from the get-go, I disliked Kirk. He seemed like a major jerk, and a workaholic to boot. It took me about 100 pages or so before I was into it, and curious as to what would happen next. From the very beginning, I felt the chemistry between Angela and Justin. They just... seemed to be meant to be. I loved Justin with all his crazy quirks. Like the weird way he fell in love with old furniture :). Definitely a good, quick read. :)
Courtney
Sep 27, 2008 Courtney rated it really liked it
For the first 302 pages, it was just like every late-90's Jennifer Aniston movie. She's with the wrong guy for most of the book, when all along, the right guy was right under her nose.
Been there, done that.
But on page 303, it got really cute and had me smiling for the last 9 pages.
I'll read more by her.
Kim
Mar 20, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
Super cute book! Sure it was cheesy, sure it was completely predictable... but that just made me love it more. This is the second of Curnyn's books that I have read and is by far my favorite. Can't wait for the next one.
Shannon
Jul 29, 2007 Shannon rated it liked it
This book was a cute easy read. Its about a woman in her 30's, worried she is never going to get married, and almost gets engaged to the wrong guy. It's not the best book I've ever ready, but enjoyable. Totally a library book :)
Jennifer Morello
Feb 09, 2011 Jennifer Morello rated it really liked it
At the time in my life I read this book, I found it SO amusing bc it was so true to everything that was going on in my life, with a good realization at the end, and humor in there if I remember correctly.
Tiffeny
I was determined to not like this book when I started it - I just wanted to get it off my bookshelf. But, it turned out to be a cute, fluffy book after all.
Janette
Jan 21, 2008 Janette rated it really liked it
An hysterical book that will keep you laughing! This was a fun and light-hearted story that was quick and easy to read and perfect for a sunny day!
Jessica
I took a writing class taught by this author! The book is a page-turner. I totally believe in the "lid loosening" theory in more ways than one.
Tiffany
Jun 30, 2012 Tiffany rated it liked it
I liked it. I didn't have much expectation from it, but I liked that she got herself out of her rut and stayed true to herself. Easy read.
Mel
Aug 29, 2010 Mel rated it liked it
Somewhat predictable storyline, but the ending was not overly cheesy. A quick and casual read for summer.
Lesley
Nov 08, 2008 Lesley rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
The only thing more desperate than the main character in this book was my attempt to finish this book.
Peanut
Aug 11, 2009 Peanut added it
Never finished. Threw it away - not even good enough to give to a friend.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it liked it
Very funny and keeps your interest, but I predicted the ending from page one.
Stasy
Nov 13, 2011 Stasy rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
Predictable, but a good weekend read. Very well-written.
Joanna
Apr 13, 2010 Joanna rated it it was ok
I am sick and allowed to read a really cheesy book!
Molly
Apr 13, 2008 Molly rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one. really.
Dont read this book. I feel lamer for having done so.
Kari
Oct 28, 2010 Kari rated it really liked it
A good beach read with your typical storyline.
T.
Sep 28, 2009 T. rated it it was ok
Was not as good as I had hoped.
Dawn
Aug 23, 2014 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Easy and enjoyable read.
Apr 18, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
Not engaging really at all.
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Flavia Lima
Flavia Lima marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
  • Tallulahland
  • Technical Hitch
  • Starting from Square Two
  • Marrying Up
  • Mean Season
  • Burning The Map (Red Dress Ink (Numbered Paperback))
  • Wonderboy
  • All Eyes on Her
  • Seven Sunny Days
  • Strapless
  • My Life Uncovered
Lynda Curnyn is a native New Yorker who hasn't migrated very far from her Brooklyn birthplace. She grew up on Long Island and has since made Manhattan her home.

After getting a liberal arts degree from New College at Hofstra University, she went on to New York University for her master's degree in English Literature, even contemplated a Ph.D until she realized she didn't want to spend her 20s in th
More about Lynda Curnyn...