Start by marking “Pompeii: Lost and Found” as Want to Read:
Pompeii: Lost and Found

Pompeii: Lost and Found

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The famous eruption of Mount Vesuvius that snuffed out life in Pompeii and buried the town has long been a fascinating moment in history for children. This book presents that dramatic story with Mary Pope Osborne’s brief text and with stunning frescoes created by Bonnie Christensen, using the same colors, style, and technique as the ancient frescoes unearthed at Pompeii. I ...more
Published January 10th 2006 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Pompeii, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pompeii

Bonnie Ferrante
Pompeii Lost and Found is a nonfiction picture book for children in grade 4 and up. It begins with an explanation of the devastation of Pompeii by the volcanic explosion of Mount Vesuvius. The book leads us through the archaeological discoveries of an entombed city. It explains the artifacts and what they mean with regard to the life of the historic city. There is just enough information at each page to pull the reader through the book. It is written in a style sure to intrigue all readers and i ...more
Cynthia
Oct 12, 2008 Cynthia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: juvenile nonfiction buffs
This is a beautiful picture book that is also an informational text.The illustrator used a fresco technique that was reminiscent of Pompeiian art. There are descriptions of the humans that were killed in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius,but this book is not gory. It focuses on the way artifacts were used to piece together a picture of daily life in Pompeii.
Kellee
I have been fascinated by Pompeii since my Latin classes in middle school when I learned about it. Mary Pope Osborne does a nice job summarizing the tragedy, the discovery and the important artifacts that are found.

I found the illustrations of the book to be interesting. Although the book is informational, the choice of illustrations are to use frescoes to represent the art that was discovered at Pompeii. There were times I wish there were photographs instead; however, I love that the book is u
Sharon
I liked the way the author, Mary Pope Osborne, moved from the productive, daily life of Pompeii to the destruction caused by Vesuvius and then to the found artifacts. Beautifully illustrated by Bonnie Christensen. An informative book for children and adults.
Jessica Hancock
Great resource to have in a class library. This would be good for students doing a research project or even just for readers who prefer non fiction text.
Katie Sicking
I loved this book about Pompeii. It's an informative and colorful nonfiction book that I think children would find very interesting.
Apee
We read this in one night it's pretty accurate about the story
we read it because it's for 4 and up.It has only about 17 pages
Margie
This is very informative. I nearly gave it a four.
Theresa
a good children resource
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Aisha
Aisha added it
Jan 14, 2015
Brenda
Brenda added it
Dec 31, 2014
Ariella Raff
Ariella Raff marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Noah
Noah added it
May 19, 2014
Denise Gruzensky
Denise Gruzensky marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
May 02, 2014
Jaime
Jaime added it
Apr 08, 2014
Jennifer Davies
Jennifer Davies marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)