Start by marking “Exposure” as Want to Read:
Exposure

Exposure

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  1,118 ratings  ·  39 reviews
He Will Possess Her - Port Flannery is a harbor town off the coast of Washington state - quiet, picturesque, and just big enough to hide in for a while. At least that's what Emma Sands hopes when she takes a room above the local cafe. In Port Flannery, no one knows why Emma and her young daughter fled New Orleans. No one can guess how terrified she is that the danger she a...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Zebra (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Exposure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exposure

Saly
Rating 3.5 stars
I enjoyed the book, the heroine was a pretty fiery character and I loved her adorable daughter and the mischief she could get into. The heroine is on the run ever since she found out that her father like figure in her life has been keeping tabs on her, creepily and may have killed her loved one's to keep her to himself.

The hero has the funniest name ever Elvis and is the Sheriff. He came back to town after he lost one of his arms in an explosion. I loved his self-doubts, the roma...more
SheLove2Read
I had heard so many good reviews of this book that I was excited to get it and read about Sheriff Elvis and his romance with Cajun chick Emma. By the time I was finished with it I was just glad it was over.

I never really got a good sense of what Elvis looks like, other than big and tall with a prosthesis. Emma started to grate on me with her Cajun slang and constantly switching to the French language. Don't even get me started on her daughter Gracie. I have never been so annoyed by a child in a...more
Pamela
I'm in the minority here when I say that this book is absolute crap. I hated everything about it: the characters, the story, and the way it's written. I know 18 month-old toddlers who speak more clearly than the stupid child in this book. It would have been fine had the toddler was part of the background, but no, she was up-front and center and so annoying. I don't enjoy giving books bad reviews, but in my opinion, this one is so beyond bad. I cannot believe I actually finished it. What a piece...more
Carrie
3.5*

This was an interesting romantic suspense with characters who were a little different from the average. I enjoyed the romance, and even thought the little girl, Gracie, was well done. The characters lacked development, and the suspense was somewhat weak, as well, but still this was an enjoyable read.
Norma
Cute, mostly predictable quasi-suspense. There's no real mystery as we know who the "bad guy" is from page one. It's told to us. But I guess it's not a straight contemp either. Either way, I enjoy Susan Andersen's writing and I did like the characters. I'll be looking to read more by her I think.

Reread--i started this and was 1/2 half way before realizing iI'd read it. Enjoyed it again. 3 stars.
Gamatst
My first book by Susan Andersen and still an all time favorite. Gracie winning over big gruff Elvis was priceless. I could "hear" Emma's French accent. There were a couple of real LOL moments too. I'd say this was Susan Andersen's cross over book from her darker romantic suspense to the humorous contemporaries she writes now.

Victoria

Rounding up to FOUR STARS -I liked Exposure. I love a good woman on the run/damsel in distress story so that part really worked for me. I also loved that the hero, Elvis, was disabled but still sexy and capable. The writing was good. I thought Gracie was really cute and added a lot to the story. There were a couple things I just thought were a little odd. Example: when the the hero takes Gracie to the bathroom with him and the conversation that comes after that. Maybe it's just me but it just se...more
Virginia Campbell
This fun and involving romantic suspense story from Susan Anderson features a hunky hero with a hook--that's right, one hand and one hook. Sheriff Elvis Donnelly (we need more heroes named Elvis) is six-feet-six of solid muscle with laser-blue eyes and thick, dark hair. He also has a metal hook in place of one hand, and an angry, jagged scar on his handsome face. When a car bomb ended his big city law enforcement career, Elvis returned to his Washington state hometown of Port Flannery and became...more
Mikka Gottstein
(Deutsche Kritik weiter unten.)

Let me start my review off by saying that when I bought this book, I had no specific expectations - I'd never read anything by this author before. The blurb promised a nice thriller with a healthy dose of romance, but the book left me vaguely disappointed and even a bit bored in some parts.

Susan Andersen is NOT a terrible writer, don't get me wrong! The plot has a decent structure, there are no glaring errors, nothing that would make this book a chore to read.

But...more
Anna Marie
Jae
The romance was sweet and fairly believable, the moppet was adorable, the dudely dude was foxy, and the lady was smart/nice/not-a-pushover. The villain, however, was a both cipher and a cardboard cut-out. For all that a small part of the story is told from his p.o.v., I never got a sense of why he was who he was and crazy is not a sufficient motivator for me. Lots of people are "crazy" and manage not to be murderous jerk-wagons. On the plus side, while the dudely protagonist was disabled I never...more
Anita Fleming
I don't know why Susan Andersen doesn't write more romantic-suspense books like this one. Exposure is really good. A great blend of romance and suspense.

The hero, Elvis, is a great, brooding, almost tragic figure. He lost his left hand and received a scar on his face in a car bomb explosion. He came home to Port Flannery, WA to be the sheriff after being the town bad boy.

The heroine, Emma, is on the run with her daughter. She lands in Port Flannery and is taking a breather from the run. She has...more
Hannah
So I enjoyed this book I guess but I also found it kind of irritating. I just didn't feel that drawn in by the relationship between the hero and heroine and I found the kid plain annoying! Especially having to constantly read her 3 year old lingo, which seemed a wee bit overdone and I just wish she hadn't talked so much.

I would have like to have learned more about what happened after the conflict was resolved, like an epilogue or a few sentences about what happened with life after conflict too b...more
teatotaller
I've always thought that Susan Andersen must have cried when she saw the cover they put on her book. I would have. Exposure does not have anything to do with hookers, despite the legs on the cover. Instead, it's a fairly satisfying romantic thriller. The characters are memorable - who could forget a one handed man named Elvis? And most of all the main characters work together to solve their dangerous situation. I've always appreciated that.

Wish Susan Andersen still wrote romantic suspense. I th...more
Nicky
A fairly decent romantic suspense. I actually enjoyed watching the hero fall for the heroine's baby girl more than watching him trying to get with the heroine. That was oddly the better relationship. I didn't really understand why the bad guy was going what he did. His crazy possessiveness was too random and just didn't make much sense. Other than that, this was an interesting, fairly satisfying read.
Jocelyn
Very good read:) First time I have read this authors book:)
Donna
I've been re-reading all of Susan Andersen's older books and I have been enjoying them. This one was pretty good. Again, I was annoyed by the "N'Awlins" accent/dialect. And I had a little trouble believing the speed that Elvis and Emma and Grace fell in love/became a family. The whole "Elvis is a social outcast but a good sheriff" thing was also a stretch for me. But, I did really like it and was really rooting for Emma and Elvis to work it all out!!
Donna
I liked Exposure a lot, because the characters were so appealing. So often in books, the kids are too cute or just annoying plot devises. I found this little girl (Gracie) to be a rare exception. She was adorable and her relationship with Elvis, the hero of the book, was charming. I would recommend this book to readers who like scarred heroes and/or stories about single moms.
ElaineY
I'd passed on this book several times, unable to bring myself to accept a hero named Elvis who's the sheriff of a small town. It was highly recommended to me one day and I did buy it. Didn't regret it at all. Elvis is adorable. Sweet heroes aren't my turn-on but Elvis won my heart. One of Andersen's better romances.
Ashley♥Alexis

This is going to sound sick but the best part of this book was when Emma thought Elvis was diddling Grace. I just thought that whole scene was funny.

Grace really annoyed me. I think what bothered me about her character was that she was 3. She was portrayed as much younger.
Sheri
My grade B+. I just reread this book. It is one of my favorites of Susan Andersen. I love Elvis and Emma and especially Gracie and her interactions with Elvis. Not everyone can write a three-year-old character and make her appealing, and Andersen does a stellar job.
Rebecca
Fun. I liked both Emma and Elvis, and loved the scenes between Grace (Emma's 3 year old daughter) and Elvis. I would have liked more detail/information about why the villain was the way he was...I didn't feel like that was explained at all.
Bob
I enjoyed the book, but the writing did not seem up to Andersen's abilities. Good plot, good chracters, but somehow a bit superficial. guess I expected more depth somehow. Still, I would recommend it for light enjoyment.
Maqluba
I thought the writing style needed a little clean up and the switching in POV was a little jarring but other then that I thought it was a perfect blend of romance, suspense, cutie-pie kid, and crazy creepy villain.
Purple
The romance of it and the suspense of it were completely two separate things. I hadnt expected to feel scared for the female protagonist because of the light hearted romance the novel started with!
Joy
Really good book. Enjoyed the chemistry, dynamic and drama....definitely worth a read..

The characters are flawed, people real and dialogue off the page...what's more the say :)
Tina
I liked that the hero had a disability, but sometimes his reaction to a perceived insult about it seemed out of proportion. But overall I liked both the characters and the story.
Ashley Jackson
I love Susan Andersen, and this book is no exception! I love that the male lead isn't perfect. The book is enjoyable and the love story is plausible. I give it two thumbs up!
  • Walking After Midnight
  • Snowfall
  • Diamond Bay (Kell Sabin, #2)
  • Ready
  • Woman on the Run
  • Embattled Minds (Lost and Found, #2)
  • Tell Me No Lies
  • Kiss and Tell (T-FLAC, #2)
  • Jackson Rule
  • Nightfall
  • Healing Luke
  • The Marine Next Door (The Precinct Task Force, #1)
  • Inside (Bulletproof, #1)
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Pursuit
  • Deep Blue (Sinclair Sisters Trilogy, #3)
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
I grew up in a household with two brothers, a daddy, and my grandfather. Too many men, in other words. They diluted M'ma's influence by diverting my attention to things like the danger of answering nature's call in the dead of the night. I've got a hint for those of you raised in a less spit-and-scratch world: check before you sit, because chances are that seat is gonna be up. And they don't even...more
More about Susan Andersen...
Playing Dirty (Sisterhood Diaries, #3) Baby, I'm Yours (Baby, #1) Burning Up Cutting Loose (Sisterhood Diaries, #1) Bending the Rules (Sisterhood Diaries, #2)