Start by marking “Here We Are in Paradise: Stories” as Want to Read:
Here We Are in Paradise: Stories

Here We Are in Paradise: Stories

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  255 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
This collection of stories, set in various locales of North Carolina create entire worlds and indelible moments as only the best short fiction does.
Published April 1st 1997 by Back Bay Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Here We Are in Paradise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here We Are in Paradise

Dorie
Jul 22, 2014 Dorie rated it really liked it
The most difficult part of writing short stories is creating fully-realized characters that a reading audience can immediately form a connection with. In this manner Earley has shown himself to be a master. This book is a series of short stories that mostly feature glimses of small town life. One of my favorites is Charlotte, a story that explores the romance and excitement of professional wrestling from the town's past. The most moving story is the title story about Vernon and his wife Peggy, w ...more
Dwight Davis
Jun 09, 2014 Dwight Davis rated it it was amazing
Tony Earley does something that is very hard to do in short story form: he builds a world that the reader is able to sink into and fully inhabit and he develops characters in such a way that feel like the reader has spent years with them. Even the weakest stories in this collection ("The Prophet From Jupiter" and "Lord Randall") are better than some novels that I've read. I can't figure out why, but "Lord Randall" just failed to connect with me at all.

The last three stories, "Aliceville," "Story
Nic
Sep 01, 2014 Nic rated it it was amazing
Tony Early is one of those rare writers who makes story telling seem effortless. The structure of many of these stories feels so casually offhand, as he flits from past to present, from personal to collective narratives, then they all come together in rapturously satisfying moments. The last three stories take place in Aliceville, the beginnings of his wise, quiet, likable novel "Jim the Boy," one of my personal favorites. Early is so good at short stories that imply an entire life outside of th ...more
Marysa
Apr 20, 2011 Marysa rated it it was amazing
"I am not sure that I have lived a life that mattered, in the way that my mother wanted, but I have lived a life, and there is always something to be said about that."
Zach
Feb 20, 2009 Zach rated it really liked it
Complex stories that are written simply. The stories are both relaxing and thought-provoking.
David
Aug 14, 2007 David rated it liked it
"The Prophet From Jupiter" is one of my favorite short stories by people who aren't dead.
Katherine
Feb 07, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
"I could drop the water level down a foot and a half any summer Saturday and paralyze all I wanted" (4).
"...I think: a dam is an unnatural thing, like a diaphragm" (4).
“My beard is long and significant; the catfish looks wise” (13).
“...is greatly admired by the Florida Yankees for his courtesy and creased trousers” (14).
“...and there were cold places in the air” (15).
“The boat turned in the water, and the Mayor owned everything he could see” (19).
“The college girls are tanned the color of good b
Joy
May 10, 2014 Joy rated it it was amazing
I can’t imagine why I found this collection of stories funny the first time I read them. On second reading I found them far more poignant than funny. First, let me say that although I grew up and lived in North Carolina for most of my life, I do not know the people in these stories. Many of them are far more exotic than the people I know, who are nothing like those in “The Prophet of Jupiter” and “Charlotte,” the stories I remembered most from my first reading. But still, I sense a strange melan ...more
Jo Deurbrouck
Jul 11, 2009 Jo Deurbrouck rated it it was amazing
Tony is the real deal. Eccentric and spot on, with a voice that, once you catch it, you could listen to forever. The story i liked best in this collection was 'The Prophet from Jupiter,' an almost stream of consciousness reflection on an odd life intimately tied to an odd little place, infused with shades of Faulkner's 'As I Lay Dying.' (Hooray for giant catfish metaphors!)

Like Faulkner, Tony's got the knack of slightly bizarre and utterly perfect details like this:

"A family on Tryon Bay has a
Tim
Aug 10, 2007 Tim rated it really liked it
I first found out about this book when I heard a friend read Tony Earley's story about the death of the Southern Wrestling Association aloud. Earley captures something about North Carolina which is true (most of the time prefacing it with "if there is one thing I know", as in "if there is one thing I know to tell you, it is this: in North Carolina, even in the mountains, it takes more than a month of your life to live through August").

It's still pretty clearly an early book though; a lot of the
Mark
Aug 19, 2008 Mark rated it liked it
Recommends it for: short story people
Recommended to Mark by: Mike Magnuson
Short story collection, I don't like all the stories, some of them I find downright boring, but it contains two absolute must-reads: "Charlotte" which is a story about a relationship that has ended and also wrestling, and "The Prophet from Jupiter" which is about a relationship ending and is the single most mind-blowing story I have read at the time I first read it, at the request of an actual writer. And it is probably one of the most often-imitated stories in MFA programs across the country ov ...more
Data
I have to give even my least favorite story in this collection of short stories a good rating. Early writes so clearly about everyday people, capturing the drama and real interest that happen in the simplest and most complex lives both. The theme I picked up as a thread through these stories is consequences in relationships where love is not equally balanced - almost a certainty in any relationship at some point, but not often explored with such a fine pen.

Favorite story - 'The Prophet from Jupi
David Joy
Oct 16, 2014 David Joy rated it it was amazing
One of the finest short story collections I've ever read. Should be on every bookshelf.
Frances
Feb 06, 2016 Frances marked it as to-read
cbf booklist 12-13
Burke
Jul 11, 2016 Burke rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy
Excellent. For fans of Earley's Jim the Boy series, this collection includes several stories from Jim' perspective. This is slightly different from the actual novels and is a neat window into an author's creative process, as well as a chance to spend a little more time with Jim, his mother, and his indelible uncles Zeno, Al, and Coran.
Boyce
Jun 03, 2009 Boyce rated it really liked it
These are really terrific stories. The primary narrator is a young boy or a man looking back at childhood, basically the same character. There are reoccurring characters and places. The place, the mountains of NC, the time, the twenties and thirties.
What makes these stories stand out is the voice. Highly recommended.
Mary Ann
Aug 30, 2012 Mary Ann rated it liked it
Enjoyed for the most part. Liked the local settings. Left some residual images in my mind--ducks being chomped on by turtles and Gettysburg tourist busses. Lots of life wisdom packed into a few minutes of a few days in each story.
Damon Ford
Dec 17, 2011 Damon Ford rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
So far so good. I got this book from a Goodwill store on Santa Monica Blvd in Los Angeles on a hunch, and, has it happens it's a first edition. The first story is great. I'll keep you posted on the rest.
Mary Newcomb
A lovely collection of short stories, I especially like the Jim Glass tales. It seems to me that I read a book about him, perhaps these stories were the catalyst.
brook
Jul 14, 2007 brook rated it liked it
there is one story in here that makes the entire book worthwhile - the one about charlotte, nc. that by itself is a 5 star; the rest bring the rating down a bit.
Diane
Jun 11, 2013 Diane rated it liked it
I picked up this collection because it had the story "The Prophet from Jupiter," which is one of my husband's favorite stories.
Colleen Stinchcombe
Jul 06, 2014 Colleen Stinchcombe rated it liked it
The stand out story here is The Prophet from Jupiter, which is absolutely amazing. The rest are only OK.
Donna Zakem
Oct 20, 2011 Donna Zakem rated it really liked it
Pretty good collection of short stories.
Joseph Locicero
Apr 12, 2013 Joseph Locicero rated it liked it
There is a whole lot of truth in these stories.
Reagan
Nov 14, 2010 Reagan rated it it was amazing
One of my top 5 favoriets.
Meg
stories,1st edition,Signed
Stacia Stout
Stacia Stout is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
  • Dancing After Hours
  • Stories V!
  • Venus Drive
  • Flash Fiction Forward: 80 Very Short Stories

“I think about reading the poem to her, but some things are just too true to ever say out loud.” 1 likes