Start by marking “Absolute Power” as Want to Read:
Absolute Power

Absolute Power

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  57,910 ratings  ·  924 reviews
When a grizzled professional cat burglar gets trapped inside the bedroom closet of one of the world's richest men, only to witness, through a one-way mirror, two Secret Service agents kill the billionaire's trampy young wife as she tries to fight off the drunken sexual advances of the nation's chief executive. Running for his life, but not before he picks up a bloodstained ...more
Published June 16th 1996 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Absolute Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absolute Power

Absolute Power by David BaldacciThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussTotal Control by David BaldacciThe Target by David BaldacciThe Innocent by David Baldacci
Best David Baldacci Books
1st out of 6 books — 15 voters
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtFight Club by Chuck PalahniukInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerThe Green Mile by Stephen King
Best Books of 1996
16th out of 231 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam
David Baldacci's Absolute Power has a decent story, but it was hard for me to enjoy because I found the writing so hackneyed that it distracted me from the plot. Here's a representative descriptive passage:

At the sound of the explosion, the playing stopped as three pairs of eyes turned as one toward the house. In another minute they were inside. It only took one more minute for the screams to be heard. The quiet neighborhood was no more.

Forget, for a moment, the clumsy use of the passive voice i
Susan
I think this may not be a 'great' novel and has probably been panned by those far more astute than I, but I loved it. I was about 100 pages into in when I started on my trip of 1 one hour flight, 1 one hour layover and 1 five hour flight. It totally kept my interest until I finished the last page as we landed at my home airport. A veteran burglar chooses the wrong mansion to rob on the wrong night and witnesses the President of the United States trying to kill his sex partner and his secret ser ...more
Mike French
Somehow I missed this book when I started reading Baldacci. I am glad I saw it on Goodreads! It was a page turner from the start to the end. If you haven't read it,put it on top of your "to read" list!
Justin
This book had a great premise and overall was good. I felt like there were too many subplots and it didn't get all wrapped and tied together neatly like in some other authors' books. I also didn't care of all of the bad language in it. I know that is lame to some and that sometimes that type of language is used to define a character, but it shouldn't be every character.

Spoiler alert:
The part of this book I disliked the most is the lack of Luther being in it. He had next to no dialogue, other tha
B J
The President of the country uses all his resources to cover up a murder blamed on a witness whose identity is unknown to him, but he knows he is out there. He has the loyalty of his protectors if not their respect. Mingled into the story is the witness's daughter and her ex fiancee , their relationship, and the relationship between the father and daughter. It is an easy read but I never identified with any of the characters which almost always prevents me from getting lost in a book.
Stephan
I am not sure how I felt about ABSOLUTE POWER. I have read several books by Baldacci, but this one seemed different. I rated it 4 out 5. It definitely grabbed my attention right at the beginning and kept me engaged. However, strictly my opinion, the story dragged out longer than it had to. The story line was busy and there was a lot of different characters popping up. Also, there were scenes it the story that did not have a great deal of significance with the story line.

The book started out with
Lisa Temple
Dec 31, 2013 Lisa Temple rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 18+
"Absolute Power" illustrates what it is I like best about David Baldacci's books: the perfect balance and blend of action and storyline. Rare is the storyteller that can capture the attention of my military fiction loving - action-craving husband, and at the same time provide enough compelling plot and character development to have me turning pages long into the night.

With the exception of his "Camel Club" series (if you haven't read them - run - go - find them now), "Absolute Power" is my favor
Jordan
May 24, 2013 Jordan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jordan by: Aunt Ret
I have never read a book by David Baldacci, nor have I seen the movie based on this book. The book was interesting enough to be enjoyable, but I didn’t love it.

The concept that the President of the United States is involved in murder and cover up was very intriguing. Perhaps my hopes were too high. Baldacci does a great job introducing a larger number of characters, but does not give you the feeling that there are too many characters to keep straight.

The story lines come together very well, but
Chris Matney
I listened to this book on audio CD while driving across country to a trade show. Having read some of Mr. Baldacci's later works, I was curious to go back a couple of decades to an earlier novel.

Overall, Absolute Power is a serviceable political thriller. As usual, Mr. Baldacci does an excellent job with character building - a strength of any good novel and certainly well done here. If you don't hate Alan Richmond by the end of this book, you haven't been paying attention. The supporting cast is
Jane Stewart
I did not enjoy the hopeless, helpless, anxious, unlucky, victim feel for most of the book. I also had problems with the narrator.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
Bad things keep happening to good guys. I didn’t have anybody to root for or to be excited for. No good guy was smart enough. The bad guys kept outsmarting the good guys. And luck was on the side of the bad guys. I never smiled while reading this book. My feelings were unpleasant. One night I had trouble sleeping because I was anxious and worried ab
Michael
Luther Whitney is a thief with a conscience. He's breaking into the home of a wealthy family in Washington D.C. when the woman of the house returns unexpectedly. He hides in the closet and she enters her room with her lover.

The two way mirror lets Luther see the action as the sex turns rough and when the man can't perform due to his alcoholic state, she ridicules him. A struggle ensues and the woman picks up a letter opener and is approaching the man when two other people come into the room. Wh
Bridget
A thief, Luther, got more than he bargained for when he visited a mansion in Virginia thinking he could make it out of there with a few prize pieces. He becomes trapped in the wall when two people being having an intimate moment. The shocking part is the murder that takes place and it has to do with the US president.

Jack is an attorney and he is determined to find out what really happened that night. Who is telling the truth, a burglar or the man entrusted with the most powerful job in America?

P
Jay Deb
This book has an explosive start. A thief watched a president kill an young woman and she happens to be the wife of a super-rich Washington socialite. The killing event is detailed fine-grained and is broken into multiple scenes and introduced the lawyer characters. After reading 60-70 pages I thought I could give this book a 5-star. But then I felt there were too many characters, which by the way I noticed in other Baldacci books as well, and story focuses on lawyers and the thief kind of moves ...more
Dennis Fischman
This book starts out in Bernie Rhodenbarr territory: in order not to get caught in the middle of a burglary, the burglar hides and becomes a witness to a murder. Only, the man in question is not Bernie Rhodenbarr but Luther Whitney, whose conscience is much more well developed. And too: he has a daughter who has reacted to his life of crime by becoming a prosecutor and refusing ever to see him. Finally: the murder he has witnessed was committed by the President of the United States.

A slick thril
Mike (the Paladin)
Good read, and while the movie based on this one isn't as dismal as a lot of movie adaptions, the book is still better. The opening is accurate...a thief happens to be present when the President (of the US) is involved in an extramarital liaison that brings about the killing of his "prospective sexual partner". The thief escapes and the Secret Service protection detail are involved in laying the murder at said thief's feet.

From there on the story spins off in a more involved dirrection than the
Chad Sayban
David Baldacci is one of my favorite authors of thrillers and Absolute Power is certainly one of his very best. This story has a great concept, great storytelling and a fantastic ending. Honestly, I found the plot of the book better than the movie (even though the movie is great, too). If you don’t enjoy Absolute Power, then thrillers are probably not your cup of tea. They don’t get a lot better than this.
Linda Munro
This was a very long book, a very detailed book, a very slow read. It was a good book, it just seemed to take forever to read.

This is a novel of opposites. The good guy is the bad guy; the guy you hate the guy you want to be caught. The bad guy is the good guy, the guy you love, the guy you sympathize with, the guy you want to get away. In between, there are a slew of characters you love to hate, and in some cases, characters you hate to love.

On several occasions throughout the book, I saw adeq
Lorrie
Even though I watched the movie years ago, I decided to given this audio a try. Although Clint was in my head, I still enjoyed this novel. The ideas of good vs. evil, a bit of a love story, good on America, danger, intrigue..... I'm glad I listened to this hefty book.
Kelsey
My least favorite of Baldacci's because of the graphic violence. I ended up skipping most of the book just to see how it ended.
Sandra Heinzman
I started this 469 page book last night and finished it today. I think you know I must have liked it!!
Misha
meh -____-
Davan W.
Absolute Power is another great book by David Baldacci. I have read several of his works and even though they are all good reads, this is by far my favorite. It has a captivating suspense to it, I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I highly recommend it.
The basis of the story is that a thief is robbing a mansion when the President and his lover arrive. He begins to get rough with her and to get away from him, she attempts to stab him with a letter opener. But he yells for help and she is
Jason
Reads like Grisham.
I kinda hate the two main dudes - both the lawyer and the cop. So superior and smug and boring.
Luther’s somewhat interesting, but the whole “Oh I love my daughter more than anything” angle is sappy and he pretty much peaks during the book’s central murder.
His daughter irritates me pretty much throughout. Especially cuz she’s supposed to be So Much Better than Jennifer, who the book and Jack in his douchey monologue want to paint as a horrible human being. But Jennifer doesn’t
Nathan
My first Baldacci novel. I've been looking for some good drama type fiction that I could use on my new, longer commute to work (think audio book). Baldacci's works came recommended from a friend. What a great find. The book was good enough that I would find myself sitting in my car in the driveway just because I didn't want to stop listening, the audio equivalent to looking at the clock in the bedroom at 4 am because you just can't put the book down.
There may have been a time or two during the
Greg Bascom
The opening scenes in ABSOLUTE POWER initiate a clever, imaginative plot. Luther Whitney, an experienced burglar in his late middle years, stealthy enters the master bedroom of an opulent mansion after disarming a sophisticated alarm system. Possessing inside information, Luther uses an innocuous remote control to open a walk in vault hidden behind a large wall mirror and loads his satchel with over a million dollars worth of goodies. Before he can leave, though, unexpected visitors enter the be ...more
Elizabeth Noah Astle
I have mixed feelings about his book. Luther Whitney goes into a home with the premise for burglary, and he ends up behind a one way mirror and witnesses a murder.

Luther is a criminal for life and after witness a high society woman, Christy, being murdered by an even more high profile person his life is on the line. Luther asks Jack, his daughter ex-boyfriend/fiance to represent him if anything happens. Jack has no idea what he is talking about but agrees to it for when the time comes.

Luther has
Marcis Erdeli
Deivids Baldači astoņus gadus strādājis par juristu Vašingtonā.Darbā gūta pieredze palīdzēja radīt romānu "Neierobežota vara". ASV, Midltonā, Virdžīnijas štatā tiek noslepkavota kāda sieviete, slepkavība iejaukts Savienoto Valstu prezidents, bet izrādījās , ka ir nozieguma aculiecinieks, prezidents liek abiem miesassargiem neitralizēt viņu, kā arī atgūt lietisko pierādījumu,kas varētu viņu pazudināt.Autors uzdod jautājumu vai prezidents drīkst palikt nesodīts par slepkavību?
Romāns sarakstīts
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Sep 22, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Popular Thrillers (Which I'm Beginning to Suspect Isn't Me)
As popular thrillers go, this isn't badly written. Baldacci is a better writer judging from what I've read than a James Patterson or Dan Brown. Not high praise--just means he's not obviously eye-bleeding, but this is still reads as a generic pot-boiler. Nevertheless even Brown and Patterson have held me to the end of a couple of their books. Baldacci didn't here.

The thing is, I couldn't wrap my head around the basic premise. A cat burglar, Luther Whitney, is trapped in a vault with a one-way mi
Mj
This was another great Baldacci thriller that particularly appealed to me because it was set in a political background. The plot is full of twists and turns and I didn’t want to put the book down.

I also think Baldacci does a great job of fleshing out his characters - all living in Washtinton D.C. There are average Joes and Jills with the usual ups and downs in life, living both legal and illegal lives. There and secret service personel, politicians and staff working all involved at the White Ho
Arun Divakar
You think hard of what to put down about some books and surprisingly they do not turn up much, I file this book in that archive. This belongs to the I-should-have-read-this-earlier genre of novels wherein a read during pre-teen times would have give quite a kick. Conspiracies,bad cops, steamy hollywood-ish sex and blah di blah all combine within these covers. Knowing that this was a debut novel from Baldacci I have no doubt as to why he catapulted to the best seller lists.

Go into the room of rea
2015 Reading Chal...: Absolute Power by David Baldacci 1 9 Feb 28, 2015 05:45PM
Loved this book 4 36 Jan 02, 2015 07:47PM
  • The Tenth Justice
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Degree of Guilt (Christopher Paget, #2)
  • The List
  • The Chairman (Christian Gillette, #1)
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • Pleading Guilty (Kindle County Legal Thriller, #3)
  • The General's Daughter
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
David Baldacci published his first novel, Absolute Power, in 1996. A major motion picture adaptation followed, with Clint Eastwood as its director and star. In total, David has published 28 novels, all of which have been national and international bestsellers; several have been adapted for film and television. His novels have been translated into more than 45 languages and sold in more than 80 cou ...more
More about David Baldacci...
The Camel Club (Camel Club, #1) The Innocent (Will Robie,#1) Split Second (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #1) Last Man Standing Divine Justice (Camel Club, #4)

“Today might not be so good. But tomorrow, you got another chance to get it right.” 28 likes
“You know what kind of person it takes to run for President? Not normal. They could start out okay, but by the time they reach that level they've sold their soul to the devil so many times and stomped the guts out of enough people that they are definitely not like you and me, not even close.” 8 likes