Start by marking “What We Say Matters: Practicing Nonviolent Communication” as Want to Read:
What We Say Matters: Practicing Nonviolent Communication

What We Say Matters: Practicing Nonviolent Communication

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For yoga teacher Judith Hanson Lasater and her husband, mediator Ike K. Lasater, language is a spiritual practice based on giving and receiving with compassion. In What We Say Matters, they offer new and nurturing ways of communicating. Long-term students of yoga and Buddhism, the authors here blend the yoga principle of satya (truth) and the Buddhist precept of right spe
Published (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What We Say Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What We Say Matters

Rebekah
This book was difficult for me—I struggled with feeling that if everyone implemented the practices the authors describe, the world would be SO MUCH BETTER and feeling embarrassed by how awkward some of the phrasing they suggest is ("duck index"? "seduce me with your needs"?). I can see this approach working far better in my personal relationships than in my professional ones, where the level of explanation I feel I would need to give not to feel ridiculous would far exceed the bounds of what's a ...more
Daniel
Minhas expectativas para a leitura foram plenamente atendidas. Primeiro o livro me proporcionou uma abordagem diferente do Marshall ao organizar os conceitos da CNV. Por exemplo qdo eles falaram sobre as duas coisas que precisam acontecer ao fazer um pedido (um pedido ter q ser no presente e ?). Outra organização do meu pensamento foi os quatro componentes da CNV e suas confusões. Observação e avaliação, sentimento e julgamento, necessidade e estratégia, pedido e demanda.
Segundo os autores mostr
Vern Stevens
I found some interesting material and useful ideas in this book, but there were so many references to Marshall Rosenberg that I felt I should just have read his book instead.
Tara
As a human resources professional, struggling with workplace communications and interpersonal differences, I chose to read this for some insights and tangible guidance. Found this to be a quick, digestible, and practical read. Sort of glossed over (glazed over at?) the bits referring to yoga and "spirituality", but was able to draw meaningful connections between the authors' messages and applicability to life, both personal and professional. Suggested exercises at the end of each chapter render ...more
Mary-lou
My yoga classes this term were based around Patanjali's sutra 1:33
(Undisturbed calmness of mind is attained by cultivating friendliness toward the happy,compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous, and indifference toward the wicked.--Prabhavananda and Isherwood )
I wanted to look at this sutra broadly as being about relationships and that the relationships we have depend on a mix between compassion and assertiveness. I decided that this book would be a good guide for that.
I had previousl
Peter Green
This book made a huge difference in how I think about others and hence how I communicate with them. My kids now use the patterns in the book to resolve conflicts. Highly recommended.
Bill
This is an excellent book for trying to understand how to be a better communicator. Highly recommended.
Mariana
From this good book I learned valuable info about relationships which I hope to put in practice in my life.
Holly Beavers
It's a good short book, and a little text book-y
Rick
This is one good way to look at non-violent communication. I remember it being a smidge too spiritual for my needs, but the practical advice is very solid. Though it's hard to put into practice when the world just won't cooperate with you. Still, though, even a quick read of it will improve your communication and open up your eyes to some things we all do that put our conversational partner on the defensive. Though I've not tried all the practice tips, I've still found it very useful.
Sara
This is a life long journey for some people. As with everything in your life this starts with the intention you set within yourself. Genuine heartfelt nonviolent communication is difficult but with practice and patience with yourself it will evolve. Like anything else it's a journey. Love and peace to anyone who reads this and practices this in their daily life. If everyone did the world would be a different place.
Chrissy
This book is much more readable than Nonviolent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg. It gives just enough info about the process of NVC without getting too technical or artificial sounding. And it's extremely practical, both authors give situations such as work or writing emails where practicing NVC probably is the most difficult.
Elizabeth
This book discusses and outlines a process for nonviolent communicaton. At it's worst it feels like a stiff formula for communication, but at its best it combines principles from Eastern thought (truthfulness and nonharming) in useful ways toward a more empathetic approach to oneself and others.
Audra
Great tidbits, but completely unrealistic conversations I believe. I love the most important message, which is to think in terms of feelings and needs. Some of the examples seemed that they would not be taken well by the other person, but I guess that's just me.
Abby
This may not be as informative, meditative, and soothing as Living Your Yoga, but it's definitely worth reading. Insightful. Made me realize I know very little about psychology, but there are still many methods to remain aware of our words and thoughts.
Maren Showkeir

The frame of recognizing emotion, needs and requests vs demands was extremely useful. The emphasis on self-awareness and empathy is invaluable if you are trying to communicate for understanding and connection.
Adam
Not as thorough as Marshall Rosenberg's "Nonviolent Communication" nevertheless this book gives another perspective and some good exercises for practicing NVC and NVC thinking.
Trevor
Some really powerful concepts. Adapt for your own communication style or people will think you're weird.
Practical tools for talking - I like the exploration of needs in addition to feelings.
Brooke Morgan
Brooke Morgan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Brittney M
Brittney M marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
duchie
duchie marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Mary Kay
Mary Kay is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2015
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
KIGGUNDU ARAPHAT
KIGGUNDU ARAPHAT marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Brian Connelly
Brian Connelly marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Holly
Holly added it
Jun 04, 2015
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift
  • The Complete Master Cleanse: A Step-by-Step Guide to Maximizing the Benefits of The Lemonade Diet
  • 21st Century Yoga: Culture, Politics, and Practice
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • The New Good Life: Living Better Than Ever in an Age of Less
  • The Yoga Tradition: Its History, Literature, Philosophy and Practice
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Yoga Nidra/2009 Re-print
  • Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health
  • Karma Yoga: the Yoga of Action
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Insight Yoga
  • At Left Brain, Turn Right
  • Ruling Your World: Ancient Strategies For Modern Life
  • The Way of the Happy Woman: Living the Best Year of Your Life
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life Relax and Renew: Restful Yoga for Stressful Times A Year of Living Your Yoga: Daily Practices to Shape Your Life 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana