Start by marking “What We Say Matters: Practicing Nonviolent Communication” as Want to Read:
What We Say Matters: Practicing Nonviolent Communication

What We Say Matters: Practicing Nonviolent Communication

For yoga teacher Judith Hanson Lasater and her husband, mediator Ike K. Lasater, language is a spiritual practice based on giving and receiving with compassion. In What We Say Matters, they offer new and nurturing ways of communicating. Long-term students of yoga and Buddhism, the authors here blend the yoga principle of satya (truth) and the Buddhist precept of right spe
Published (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What We Say Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What We Say Matters

Holly
Jun 02, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-non-fiction
Non violent communication sounded like something I could do with reading since in the past much of my communication has been laced with angst or upset, and on the whole I found this book a rewarding and engaging read. However I did have a few nitpicks, such as, like a previous reviewer mentioned, some of the phrasing that is used; "seduce me with your needs" just sounds like something I wouldn't be able to say to anyone whilst keeping a straight face.

I did like the exercises at the end of each
Rebekah
This book was difficult for me—I struggled with feeling that if everyone implemented the practices the authors describe, the world would be SO MUCH BETTER and feeling embarrassed by how awkward some of the phrasing they suggest is ("duck index"? "seduce me with your needs"?). I can see this approach working far better in my personal relationships than in my professional ones, where the level of explanation I feel I would need to give not to feel ridiculous would far exceed the bounds of what's a ...more
Vern Stevens
I found some interesting material and useful ideas in this book, but there were so many references to Marshall Rosenberg that I felt I should just have read his book instead.
LouLou
Aug 10, 2016 LouLou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read review in its entirety at http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...

Husband and wife, Ike and Judith Lancaster, incite deeper meaning into the familiar saying: “Think before you speak”, with their composition, What We Say Matters: Practicing Nonviolent Communication.

Arranged into nine chapters, Judith and Ike introduce the concept of Nonviolent Communication (sometimes referred to as NVC), and then expound upon the principles and how to use them within our different interactions with family,
Mary-lou
My yoga classes this term were based around Patanjali's sutra 1:33
(Undisturbed calmness of mind is attained by cultivating friendliness toward the happy,compassion for the unhappy, delight in the virtuous, and indifference toward the wicked.--Prabhavananda and Isherwood )
I wanted to look at this sutra broadly as being about relationships and that the relationships we have depend on a mix between compassion and assertiveness. I decided that this book would be a good guide for that.
I had previousl
Daniel
Mar 18, 2014 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cnv
Minhas expectativas para a leitura foram plenamente atendidas. Primeiro o livro me proporcionou uma abordagem diferente do Marshall ao organizar os conceitos da CNV. Por exemplo qdo eles falaram sobre as duas coisas que precisam acontecer ao fazer um pedido (um pedido ter q ser no presente e ?). Outra organização do meu pensamento foi os quatro componentes da CNV e suas confusões. Observação e avaliação, sentimento e julgamento, necessidade e estratégia, pedido e demanda.
Segundo os autores mostr
Tara
Feb 18, 2014 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a human resources professional, struggling with workplace communications and interpersonal differences, I chose to read this for some insights and tangible guidance. Found this to be a quick, digestible, and practical read. Sort of glossed over (glazed over at?) the bits referring to yoga and "spirituality", but was able to draw meaningful connections between the authors' messages and applicability to life, both personal and professional. Suggested exercises at the end of each chapter render ...more
Rick
Jul 14, 2013 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This is one good way to look at non-violent communication. I remember it being a smidge too spiritual for my needs, but the practical advice is very solid. Though it's hard to put into practice when the world just won't cooperate with you. Still, though, even a quick read of it will improve your communication and open up your eyes to some things we all do that put our conversational partner on the defensive. Though I've not tried all the practice tips, I've still found it very useful.
Sara
Jul 20, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a life long journey for some people. As with everything in your life this starts with the intention you set within yourself. Genuine heartfelt nonviolent communication is difficult but with practice and patience with yourself it will evolve. Like anything else it's a journey. Love and peace to anyone who reads this and practices this in their daily life. If everyone did the world would be a different place.
Chrissy
Apr 01, 2012 Chrissy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is much more readable than Nonviolent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg. It gives just enough info about the process of NVC without getting too technical or artificial sounding. And it's extremely practical, both authors give situations such as work or writing emails where practicing NVC probably is the most difficult.
Ashley Roque
Jan 02, 2016 Ashley Roque rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transformed the way I speak to myself and other people. Taught me to give myself more tenderness, to treasure the spoken voices in my head and in my heart. Taught me to prioritize what I "need." So grateful for this book.
Elizabeth
This book discusses and outlines a process for nonviolent communicaton. At it's worst it feels like a stiff formula for communication, but at its best it combines principles from Eastern thought (truthfulness and nonharming) in useful ways toward a more empathetic approach to oneself and others.
Audra
Mar 25, 2014 Audra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Great tidbits, but completely unrealistic conversations I believe. I love the most important message, which is to think in terms of feelings and needs. Some of the examples seemed that they would not be taken well by the other person, but I guess that's just me.
Maren Showkeir
Oct 03, 2012 Maren Showkeir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

The frame of recognizing emotion, needs and requests vs demands was extremely useful. The emphasis on self-awareness and empathy is invaluable if you are trying to communicate for understanding and connection.
Abby
Apr 11, 2010 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may not be as informative, meditative, and soothing as Living Your Yoga, but it's definitely worth reading. Insightful. Made me realize I know very little about psychology, but there are still many methods to remain aware of our words and thoughts.
Bill
Jul 06, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for trying to understand how to be a better communicator. Highly recommended.
Trevor
Jul 22, 2012 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really powerful concepts. Adapt for your own communication style or people will think you're weird.
Peter Green
Dec 19, 2014 Peter Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made a huge difference in how I think about others and hence how I communicate with them. My kids now use the patterns in the book to resolve conflicts. Highly recommended.
Adam
May 27, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as thorough as Marshall Rosenberg's "Nonviolent Communication" nevertheless this book gives another perspective and some good exercises for practicing NVC and NVC thinking.
Mariana
Mar 23, 2014 Mariana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From this good book I learned valuable info about relationships which I hope to put in practice in my life.
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2010
Elisa
Elisa rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2013
Jennifer Yost
Jennifer Yost rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2014
Josh
Josh rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Holly Beavers
It's a good short book, and a little text book-y
Anna Guest-jelley
Anna Guest-jelley rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2014
Roz rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • Yoga: the Path to Holistic Health
  • Health, Healing, and Beyond: Yoga and the Living Tradition of Krishnamacharya
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • The Yoga-Sutra of Patanjali: A New Translation with Commentary
  • The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind
  • Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Nonviolent Communication Companion Workbook: A Practical Guide for Individual, Group, or Classroom Study
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness