Start by marking “The Odd Couple” as Want to Read:
The Odd Couple

The Odd Couple

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  12,342 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Poker buddies Felix Ungar and Oscar Madison suddenly find themselves bachelors again and innocently decide to share an apartment. In this classic comedy by Americas most prolific and successful playwright, these two legendarily mismatched roommates bring down the house when they try to live together in one eight-room New York City apartment.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 24th 2001 by LA Theatre Works (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Odd Couple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Odd Couple

Kathy Worrell  ツ
I had to read a story (Diversity Challenge) published in the year that I was born.

What a great audiobook. Nathan Lane was Oscar Madison, he was hilarious.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Odd couple,
عنوان یک: «زوج عجیب، نمایشنامه»؛ نوشته: «نیل سایمون (۱۹۲۷)»؛ مترجم: «الهه مشتاق»، نشر: «تهران، نیلا، ۱۳۸۴، در 72 ص.»، شابک: 964-857323-9، کتاب حاضر تحت عنوان «زوج ناجور» با ترجمه: «شهرام زرگر»، توسط همین ناشر چاپ شده است. عنوان دیگر: «زوج ناجور نمایشنامه»، موضوع: نمایشنامه آمریکایی-- قرن ۲۰م.

عنوان دو: «زوج ناجور، نمایشنامه»، نوشته: «نیل سایمون (۱۹۲۷)»؛ ترجمه: «شهرام زرگر»، نشر: «تهران، نیلا، چاپ نخست ۱۳۸۴، در 72 صفحه»، فروست: «قلمرو هنر؛ ۹۳:، شابک: 964-8573-22-0، موضوع: نمایشنامه آم
Rachel C.
A play about how a friendship can be as intimate and infuriating as a marriage.

(Note 1: I definitely have a real estate fetish. All I kept thinking was, "Damn, how did Oscar score an eight-room apartment in New York City?!)

(Note 2: Gwendolyn and Cecily - that's a tip of the hat to Oscar Wilde, yes?)
Mandi D
I didn't realize this was a play script when I originally wanted to read the book and I am glad I didn't because I probably would not have given it a chance. I did enjoy the storyline overall but it did take a little bit to get into the story. Once the characters opened up, I found myself smiling as two best friends and divorcees males were living together. Seeing how they treated each other gave so much of their personalities and why they previously relationships may have taken a turn for the w ...more
HaydenM
Mar 08, 2017 HaydenM rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the funniest play I've ever read. I love other plays by Neil Simon but this one takes the cake. It has a super funny plot line and is very relatable. I would recommend this to anyone who is a fan of comedic plays. It is a little slow at the beginning but that's okay.
Megan Rasmussen
Sep 21, 2016 Megan Rasmussen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a hilarious play! Maybe the swearing was a bit overdone (but no truly awful words, Mom, don't worry), but the story was great. The British Pigeons? Clean freak, fix- it- Felix? Oh, yes. That happened.
Maxwell Jakobovits
I've always been a fan of playwrights as witty as Neil Simon, and this book does nothing but confirm my beliefs that he is an American literary legend. From the very beginning, through the thickening plotline, right down to the closing dialouge, this story is captivating, and absoulutly hilarious to say the least.

From a reader's point of view, the story is funny, and always has you guessing what happens next. Even without the stage notes in the margins, the emotions and personalities of the char
leon
May 25, 2010 leon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: An Excellent script produced by Neil Simon, telling a tale of two opposites forced to live with each other.
Classification: This book is one that would be preferably suitable for ages 13 and up due to some language and some inappropriate ostracizing. This book's seemingly only purpose is to create a captivating/intriguing setting while at the same time emulating on the comedic responses of these two antonyms. The genre setting for this script would be classified as realistic fiction. T
Lori
Jul 12, 2009 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrifically funny audio version. Oscar Madison, the slob, and Felix Unger, the neurotic neat freak. The two of them divorced and lonely, live together in Oscar's eight room apt. in Manhattan. The hiliariousness ensues when Felix turns Oscar's life upside down by cleaning incessantly, cooking gourmet meals, and crying over his divorce. The final straw is when he ruins their chances with the Pigeon sisters by becoming all depressed about his divorce. Will their friendship surivive?

Filled with won
Heather
So, after reading the play, I did some searching for quotes about it to promote the show (as it's on PTC's season next year). I found a New York Times review from March, 1965, after the actual premiere of the show on Broadway. The last paragraph had me drop-jawed:

"The Odd Couple has it made. Women are bound to adore the sight of a man carrying on like a little homemaker. Men are sure to snicker at a male in domestic bondage to a man. Kids will love it because it's funny. Homosexuals will enjoy i
Whitney (First Impressions Reviews)
The Odd Couple, in play form, is the perfect short humorous read, or listen in my case. The principal actors voiced the performance well and I found myself laughing aloud at times. Oscar and Felix are a stitch without intention. In a sense, it reminded me of the French film The Dinner Party, a constant critique of the other's habits and interests with the dud turning up on top, (in this case Felix). To me, Oscar was more of a distraction, and while they played off each other well, it was FU that ...more
Eric Mikols
Jan 19, 2012 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scripts
Hilarious. I like Neil Simon when he's does straight comedy like this. The characters are a riot and a love the downward spiral of the "marriage". The dialog is great and the scenes with the poker game are all over the place. All three acts are great and move, and there's little down time.
I wish the characters had more time to develop deeper traits, and deal with their issues. Part of my problem with Neil Simon, so far, is that beyond "Jake's Women", he doesn't seem to resolve the story like I w
Kristine Hansen
May 20, 2015 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I can't help it - I hear Tony Randall and Jack Klugman in my head as I read this. Found the play funny and the dialogue good enough to where I had to read bits out loud to whomever happened to be around when I was reading it. I read this once back in high school, but think I got a lot more out of it now, recognizing a lot of the nuances and wit that I think went over my head back then (what can I saw, I was somewhat young and naive in those days).

Overall, I'm glad I read it, but now want to tra
Christian
Sep 13, 2016 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this play up after falling down a Mel Brooks Wikipedia hole and discovering that Neil Simon was one of many famous writers to come out of Sid Caesar's "Your Show of Shows." I think everyone has a passing familiarity with "The Odd Couple" either because of the iconic theme music or the millions of mismatched buddy comedies it has spawned over the years. I'm fairly certain, too, that I have seen the Matthau/Lemmon film adaptation, but it was years ago and I feel like this play is something ...more
Lindsay
Aug 05, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting a comedy
Recommended to Lindsay by: Mrs. Harris
So I had my students act out scenes from this play & they were convinced that Oscar & Felix were gay (which they aren't) that isn't the point. The point is that they are an odd pairing. One is a clean freak, the other messy. One is emotional, the other is isn't. Most of us have friends that seem to possess opposite traits, but what would happen if you lived under the same roof? That is precisely the even Simon explores in the play. The dialogue is generally quick witted. The supporting c ...more
Steph
Oct 10, 2014 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oscar and the guys have heard that Felix's wife kicked him out and he didn't show up for work. They're beginning to worry that he's missing:
ROY: Maybe he had an accident.

OSCAR: They would have heard.

ROY: If he's laying in a gutter somewhere? Who would know who he is?

OSCAR: He's got ninety-two credit cards in his wallet. The minute something happens to him, America lights up.

My dad was Felix.
This fantastic play has several hilarious lines, including this gem (one of the funniest lines ever written): "I can't take it anymore, Felix, I'm cracking up. Everything you do irritates me. And when you're not here, the things I know you're gonna do when you come in irritate me. You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can't stand little notes on my pillow. 'We're all out of cornflakes. F.U.' Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Ungar! "
Cam
Apr 22, 2012 Cam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Acted in this in high school and have always enjoyed asking people which lead they think I played. Great way to see what impression I've made! Such a well-done comedy with a hint of the despair that helps it transcend the light-comedy premise. Makes a great read and made a great movie. Easy to see how it inspired the television series and how that also was entertaining without being too simplistic for years on end.
Cathi
Jun 18, 2015 Cathi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who hasn't seen the classic TV series with Jack Klugman and Tony Randall or the wonderful movie with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon? These are classics of American comedy, and the original Neil Simon play about two divorced guys (slob Oscar Madison and fussbudget Felix Unger) sharing an apartment is an absolute delight. I'm not usually a laugh-out-loud kind of person, but reading this play had me doing that. I love Neil Simon!
Albert
Jul 15, 2014 Albert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, my favorite Neil Simon play.

the dialogue is entertaining and the mix of Felix and Oscar always makes you laugh and wonder what's next.

This is a character play, and the chemistry is rich and full.

It gets a little slow at first but then Simon hits the gas pedal hard and we get all these exciting miscommunications and arguments between the two characters

Simon's best play in my opinion

Even though I only know 4
Julie scott
Jun 04, 2015 Julie scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ive always loved "The Odd Couple" so when I saw it available on Borrow box I just had to listen to it I wish it had have been longer but it was hilarious with David Paymer and Nathan Lane as Felix and Oscar and they were superb.I have also been watching the latest version of this great show with Matthew Perry and it is equally as funny.Fabulous Audio❤❤❤
Nicolas
Jan 16, 2012 Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scripts
At this point the whole "opposites attract" plotline has become cliche, but this is the story that started it all. One of the things I appreciate about this script is that whether you identify more with Felix or Oscar neither is right all of the time. Neither wins in the end. It's a great story of friendship and compromise. One of my favorite Neil Simon plays.
Diane
Apr 03, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Diane by: Jeanette Keyser
Another good read for the book/movie combo project which my sister and I are working on. This is a funny play due to seeing it on the stage. But reading it, I can't help but feel sorry for 2 divorced men, one of who is contemplating suicide. Neil Simon turns a sad situation into a comedy that many people can identify with.
Tara Carpenter
Mar 05, 2013 Tara Carpenter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I enjoyed listening to this for a couple hours while I put up Christmas decorations. It was more fun listening, I'm sure. Humorous, quaint New York style from the 1960s wrapped around a couple interesting characters. I thought the upstairs sisters stole the show a bit though. Loved the one-liners by Oscar.
Lauren Wiseman
I found The Odd Couple to be laugh out loud hilarious. I read several lines out loud to my brother as I went, because so much of it was just amusing. Simon had a knack for the comedy, and a knack for interesting characters. I liked the change in both Felix and Oscar, and the writing was such I really didn't know with whom to side. Excellent play!
Michelle Cronjè
The play was quite funny, although it ended quite abruptly and I would have liked to read more. There isn't really much to the story but the characters are vivid and unique, with the story ending on a sentimental note, which I like. I couldn't quite figure out if it was a serious play or a funny play. In the end I can simply sum it up as silly nonsense, although quite enjoyable.
Caroline Scarbrough
This play- particularly the spaghetti scene- is a HIT with high school boy actors. For some reason they love it, no matter which character they are playing. I've seen it preformed twice by two different sets of high schools, each changed and rearranged somehow. This play really does show how directing can make a world of difference.
Kathryn
May 28, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another witty play by Simon, this time playing on the domestic relationship of two men whose personal lives could not be any more different. Their relationship parodies marriage as the one deals with a nasty divorce. This dynamic alone sets the stage for a wonderfully humorous, teasing play that is fun and enjoyable.
Pinky
Apr 12, 2015 Pinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-15
I'm continuing my quest to read all of Neil Simon's plays. This is so well written - funny, smart, tense. I'm glad it was just a play because I couldn't handle 300 pages of this intensity. The relationship between Felix and Oscar and their sparring made me a nervous wreck. The double date with the neighbor girls and the dry London Broil nearly did me in. Superb.
Desiree Wallen
Jul 25, 2013 Desiree Wallen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the moose calls to the use of linguini as a high point of tension, every moment in this play is perfect. Plus it reminds me of my dearly departed friend who played Oscar in the production I was involved in, so there may be a slight bias, but it's become a good source of memories for me, I suppose.
  • Harvey
  • Sister Mary Ignatius Explains it All for You & The Actor's Nightmare
  • Crimes of the Heart
  • Picnic
  • The Lion in Winter
  • Steel Magnolias (DPS Acting Edition)
  • The Elephant Man
  • Agnes of God
  • Fiddler on the Roof
  • Deathtrap
  • The Foreigner
  • The Children's Hour
  • Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
  • Wait Until Dark
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...

“I got brown sandwiches and green sandwiches. It's either very new cheese or very old meat. - Oscar Madison, from The Odd Couple” 5 likes