Start by marking “The Magical Worlds of Philip Pullman” as Want to Read:
The Magical Worlds of Philip Pullman

The Magical Worlds of Philip Pullman

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Enter the realm of His Dark Materials-soon to be a major motion picture starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig.
After exploring the worlds of Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, and Narnia, David Colbert turns to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. From the philosophy of William Blake and John Milton's poem Paradise Lost to quantum physics and the Bible, this boo
Published April 4th 2006 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about The Magical Worlds of Philip Pullman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magical Worlds of Philip Pullman

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen HouckTiger's Quest by Colleen HouckInsurgent by Veronica RothThe Son of Neptune by Rick RiordanLast Sacrifice by Richelle Mead
Wishlist
93rd out of 144 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana
Dec 13, 2007 Dana rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the His Dark Materials trilogy
Interesting guide. Even Pullman likes it. Delves into the themes behind the novels but never talks down to the reader. It really helped me flesh out what I learned/was feeling after reading the novels. There is interesting information here about William Blake, John Milton, Paradise Lost, the ideas of heaven and hell, the underworld, and what happens when we die, among others. Definitely recommended to those who liked the trilogy. If you tried Pullman's guide to Harry Potter, don't let that one s ...more
Pam Baddeley
A quick read which expands on some of the ideas behind His Dark Materials. I was aware of some of it already, such as Paradise Lost, but was not aware that some characters were patterned on 16th century philosophers etc.

Layout of the book is odd, with mini articles inserted on grey paper into the main narrative, though I don't mind the sidebar notes.

For me, the book didn't go far enough as I had a number of problems with HTM such as why should Lyra and Will having a sexual relationship magicall
Heather
Jun 04, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
This is a great overview of Pullman's philosophy and influences for His Dark Materials trilogy. In many ways, it clarifies themes and ideas that are important to Pullman who was raised in a Christian family but now considers himself to be an Atheist. One of the primary ideas that Pullman wants to express in HDM, is the concept of spiritual and physical realms not being separated but, rather, being united. That the physical is not base or less important than the spiritual, and that nature is natu ...more
Melissa
Nov 27, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
A fascinating collection of tidbits explaining the sources and inspiration of Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. Much of it was already familiar to me, as I researched this topic myself several years ago, but just as much was new or contained more detail than I had previously known. I really enjoyed this book overall but didn't like how it was organized, with some interlude-like sections on gray pages breaking the flow of the main narrative.
Flint
Aug 22, 2007 Flint rated it liked it
Recommends it for: secular parents, young readers who want a gate way to some English classics
Simply written and a fast read (particularly if you are familiar with the material). Obviously a formula book similar to the other "The Magical Worlds" series. Still, it's a decent overview of the many English classical elements that Pullman draw from in "His Dark Materials". This clearly lays out the inspiration Pullman has from Milton, Blake, Byron, Shelley, Plato, Dante, as well as Christianity and Gnosticism.
Kim
Dec 09, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009, non-fiction
Interesting look into Pullman's influences in the His Dark Materials trilogy. I wish I had read directly after reading the series, however, as I know I missed a lot of the parallels. I will definitely read this book again the next time I read the His Dark Materials Trilogy (which I love).
Eden
Sep 16, 2009 Eden rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. There was so much information in it and it wasn't very long, you can read through it pretty quickly. It was very interesting to see where Philip Pullman got some of his ideas from.
Aaron Ferrucci
I think I won't finish this one. It provides some interesting insight into Pullman's books, but feels too much like the "young adult fiction" that the His Dark Materials series is labeled as.
Alex
Jan 19, 2011 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's ok. Not the most interesting book ever, and it will take a while to read.
Bookarcana
Bookarcana marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Elana
Elana rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Katie Kisner
Katie Kisner marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Herb Asher
Herb Asher marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Rem
Rem marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Deniz
Deniz added it
Feb 10, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Joy Johnson
Joy Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Devin Waddell Babcock
Devin Waddell Babcock marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Bezdomnyi
Bezdomnyi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Sienna
Sienna marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Edmond
Edmond rated it did not like it
Jul 31, 2015
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Andrei
Andrei rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Raymond Barfield
Raymond Barfield rated it liked it
May 21, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Vera
Vera marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015