Start by marking “Darcy's Voyage: A Tale of Uncharted Love on the Open Seas” as Want to Read:
Darcy's Voyage: A Tale of Uncharted Love on the Open Seas

Darcy's Voyage: A Tale of Uncharted Love on the Open Seas

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,925 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
"A Tale of Uncharted Love on the Open Seas "

In this enchanting and highly original retelling of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice," Elizabeth Bennet sets out for the new world aboard the grand ship "Pemberley's Promise." She's prepared for an uneventful voyage until a chance encounter with the handsome, taciturn Mr. Darcy turns her world upside down.

When Elizabeth falls i
Published September 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published March 24th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Darcy's Voyage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darcy's Voyage

Stephanie
Mar 20, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that I cannot get enough of Elizabeth and Darcy. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Lucky for me, there are a plethora of books inspired by Pride and Prejudice. Of course, none of them can hold a candle to the original, but this one does better than most. I quite enjoyed it.

Darcy's Voyage is Pride and Prejudice in an alternate universe, where Elizabeth and Darcy meet and fall in love while on a ship to the Americas. The result: less pride and less prejudice (but mo
Sophie
Update: Having just re-read this wonderful story I had forgotten how much I loved it and it was even better than I remembered! I highly recommend this story!

What a delightful story! I absolutely loved it! I was wondering how realistic it would feel with Darcy and Lizzy making their way across to America on a ship... but it surprised me how it really did seem feasible. I was also worried about the length, it being quite a long story compared to the other variations I had read, but I didn’t need
J. W. Garrett
Darcy and Elizabeth sail into their HEA [happy-ever-after] on Pemberley’s Promise

Source: library-ebook: Note, this was previously published as Pemberley’s Promise.

I read this years ago when I first started reading JAFF [Jane Austen Fan Fiction] and loved it. I decided to read it again so I could write a review of this delightful book.

We open with a prologue where a young girl of about eight and ten years is traveling coach from London to her home. Also traveling coach is a well-dressed gentlema
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Darcy's Voyage, originally published as Pemberley's Promise in 2007, is a phenomenal Pride and Prejudice variation in which Mr. Darcy's and Elizabeth Bennet's first meeting is altered. Instead of meeting in the Meryton Assembly room, Darcy becomes acquainted with Elizabeth on a ship bound for America. Elizabeth is traveling to America to visit her Aunt and Uncle Gardiner who are in New York on business. Darcy's sole purpose for journeying to America is to accompany his sister Georgiana home from ...more
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
Oy. This book was decidedly no bueno. Alterna-P&P books are kind of my guilty pleasure, and this was was a) cheap on Amazon and b) had reasonable reviews, so I figure where's the harm? EVERYWHERE. That's where the harm was. EV. ERY. WHERE. The problems started for me by page 18, where Totally-Not-Meant-To-Know-He's-Darcy-Yet says "I see the carriage from my country home is already here." Um. No gentleman would ever refer to his wealth in such a public way, especially to a woman whose name he ...more
Sheila Majczan
Mar 24, 2015 Sheila Majczan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this in paperback as "Pemberley's Promise".

I looked this author up on Amazon many years ago at the recommendation of another very popular JAFF author. When I was reading this book's plot, my first thought was that this story was going to be "too far out in left field", too much of a deviation from the original P&P story. BUT I found it to be a page turner, despite the stretch. I won't go over the story line as other reviewers have covered such. Scenes which stay in my imagination: t
Chahrazad
Dec 10, 2014 Chahrazad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austen-based
Well Well... I can't believe how quickly I finished this one despite the length, but then it's all Austen's charm.

I approached this one with suspicion since I don't think anyone can compete with Jane Austen or appropriate her characters. and you know what? I was RIGHT!

I struggled at the beginning with comparisons; I couldn't get the original "Pride and Prejudice" out of my head.

The story brought different aspects of the heroes' personalities: Darcy wasn't portrayed as being arrogant but rather
Nicole D.
Oct 05, 2014 Nicole D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all P&P fans
Recommended to Nicole D. by: Sophie
Elizabeth and Darcy have a chance meeting 2 years before they meet again sailing on Darcy's ship Pemberley's Promise. Elizabeth is one her way to visit her aunt and uncle and Darcy to retrieve his sister. Darcy and Elizabeth's Voyage to love is just as delightful in this book as the original. Original lines and scenes are re-imagined in unique and realistically original ways. You can easily see these conversations taking place. New problems and old plaque are couple on there way to happiness. I ...more
Alyssa
Jul 07, 2016 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jane-austen

I loved it, I loved it, I loved it!

I loved that Kara Louise chose to respect the Regency relationship norms between men and women, and remained true to the society expectations of Austen's day.

Her story was compelling and she didn't need raunchy sex to draw her readers in.

Thank you to Kat for recommending this story. Darcy's Voyage pulled me out of my reading slump and now I need to find another P&P story to read.

Christine
Mar 18, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
This book was a 'delightful diversion' from a heavier, more intense book I am reading. I enjoyed the premise of Eluzabeth and Darcy meeting long before his arrival in Hertfordshire and the author intertwined actual P&P events nicely throughout the story.

An easy, enjoyable read that I would recommend for anyone interested in P&P what if's. The characters and dialogue were true to the original.
Ruth Hinds
Aug 23, 2013 Ruth Hinds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, when they're on the ship, I wasn't sure what I thought about the book. I wished the author had just made up her own characters rather than using Darcy and Elizabeth. However, as the story unfolded, and wove in and around the original book's events, I really enjoyed it! I think it was cleverly done.
Nicole
I gave Darcy's Voyage only three stars because I cannot help but compare it with all the other P&P inspired novels I have read. BUT, I did enjoy it enough to read it in one sitting! I would recommend Darcy's Voyage to anyone who loves this literary couple as I do.
Jules
Jul 28, 2014 Jules rated it it was amazing
A wildly imaginative Pride & Prejudice retelling! This book was so fun to read. I really didn't want it to end! It's official, I'm a Kara Louise fan for life!!!!!
Anna
Oct 14, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
Check out my review on Diary of an Eccentric
Megan
Darcy's Voyage was such a delightful story, that I just couldn't put it down. To me, this is one of the best Pride & Prejudice sequels/retellings that I have ever read. It is so different from the original and yet keeps the authenticity of the classic story that we know and love.

When Darcy and Elizabeth first meet, it is on a carriage where at first they are annoyed by one another, but soon they become quite comfortable with each other. When Darcy exits the carriage, to finish his trip in hi
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
This story is not a sequel but a retelling of Pride and Prejudice with the some of the action takes place on a boat. It really is a great way to interpret Jane Austen's beloved novel "Pride and Prejudice." What if the events of both Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet took them down different paths. Would they still end up together? Would they still fall in love? We wonder about our own lives and how if we took a different path and life would we end up at the same spot?

So you see the author
Rita Deodato
Jun 15, 2016 Rita Deodato rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Darcy’s Voyage was one of the first and best Pride and Prejudice Variations I’ve read. In fact, I think it was the very first variation I bought when I discovered JAFF literature.

The books’ plot is very different from anything I’ve ever seen in P&P variations. Elizabeth Bennet embarks on a ship that will take her across the ocean from the United Kingdom to America.

I’m about to go on an adventure myself as I will be flying from the UK to USA tomorrow. T
Kathleen Kelly
Sep 14, 2010 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Gingub Gravette
i need to get this out first - what the heck is up with the book cover design. it looks like bad low resolution clip art swiped from the web? mystery uncovered, it appears publishing is a self publish system via online. graphic designer by trade i cannot ignore this crime - kara please take the time to find out if any art schools out there would like designing your book covers as a class assignment - there are so many royality-free masterworks paintings out there that would at least stir the ...more
Jan 10, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
From my book review blog Rundpinne.[return][return]In Darcy’s Voyage, Kara Louise retells the timeless classic Pride & Prejudice in her own manner, begging the questions of what if fate and time were added to the relationship of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth. While Darcy and Elizabeth meet in England, they do not truly become acquainted until they ride the same ship bound for New York. Darcy is headed to New York to escort his sister Georgiana back to England while Elizabeth is off to stay with ...more
Rhonda
Jan 03, 2015 Rhonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Titanic buffs, Pride & Prejudice fan
Reading this book was very enjoyable. So much so, I actually have read it twice more since the initial read in 2011. I was a late-comer to the Pride and Prejudice story, having not read it in high school. Of course, once I read it and was eager for more stories about Darcy and Elizabeth. I am very particular about the spin offs or continuations I read. Kara Louise does a superb job at taking the basic elements of the storyline and characters and shifting them to something else entirely yet keepi ...more
Brianna
Oct 18, 2010 Brianna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A Pride & Prejudice fanfiction in which Darcy and Elizabeth meet on board a ship. The story continues on to England after the voyage. It has all the original characters and characterizations, and almost all of the major events of the original. The time period is the same, the financial situations are the same. So, I confess, I don't really see a point to this book.

I suppose the author wanted to have an opportunity to write the world's most beloved couple be in love over many more pages; a ch
Amy
Sep 14, 2011 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I keep getting suckered into picking up these Pride and Prejudice fan fiction books... they never live up to the original and in the end I just feel really silly for reading them.

Darcy's Voyage is no exception to this. If anything, I feel even more foolish for reading it than any other P&P knockoff. While most of the published fan fiction regarding Pride and Prejudice tends to be sequels, this book is a re-imagining of the story. Changing a few facts (such as how Elizabeth a
Kim
Darcy’s Voyage, a Pride and Prejudice variation, was originally published as Pemberley’s Promise and is Kara Louise’s debut novel. The main variation of Darcy’s Voyage is that Elizabeth and Darcy don’t meet in Meryton, they meet briefly in a carriage ride, and then again two years later on a boat headed towards America. It was during that carriage ride where the two unknown passengers left lasting impressions on each other.

Two years later Elizabeth and Darcy again meet while on board Darcy’s shi
Susan
May 06, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this Pride and Prejudice variation, Elizabeth Bennet is taking a voyage to America to meet up with her Gardiner relations. On the same ship Darcy is crossing to bring his sister back from her stay in New York.
Circumstances conspire to throw them into each other's company as events overtake them. And their return to England where they meet up again in the company of the Bingleys, Bennets and Wickham.
An enjoyable and long read.
Susanne Leist
This is a sweet love story of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennett had they met in a carriage and then again by chance on a boat. It doesn't have any of the wit of Jane Austen. I do like the encounters Elizabeth has on the boat: how she gives her bed to a sick woman.This lands her in bed with Mr. Darcy. Coincidence after coincidence runs the story.
Not a bad way to pass the time.
Christine
Cute, but Long

Found myself more than once skipping interactions and conversations I didn't care about. Also completely bypassed the entire part of America. Overall, it was cute, though. Interesting 'what if'.
Pigi
Apr 01, 2016 Pigi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mr-darcy
A really cute story to read but to be fair it could have been any man or woman instead of Mr Darcy and Elizabeth. Just the names don't make an adequate P&P fanfiction for me.
Mere
Jan 09, 2016 Mere rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read. Quite entertaining.
Talia
May 30, 2015 Talia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one to love. I can see reading this over and over. I can't wait to get her new book.
  • The Last Man in the World
  • Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman
  • Memory: Volume 1, Lasting Impressions: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice
  • Bluebells in the Mourning
  • The Journey
  • A Wife for Mr. Darcy
  • Rainy Days - An Alternative Journey from Pride and Prejudice to Passion and Love
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • Affinity and Affection
  • Mr. Darcy's Little Sister
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • A Noteworthy Courtship
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
520207
Kara Louise has been writing "Pride and Prejudice" novels since 2001. She has published 8 novels, 2 that were published by Sourcebooks Publications. She was born in the San Fernando Valley, just north of Los Angeles, but moved to Kansas in 1991. She lives just outside Wichita with her husband, sharing their 10 acres with an ever changing menagerie of animals. They have one married son who lives in ...more
More about Kara Louise...

“It is amazing, is it not, Darcy, how a violent storm can rise up out of calm, idle waters so unexpectedly? I am always surprised, but never caught off guard. We can be travelling through what we think are tranquil waters, believing everything is going exactly as planned, heading in the exact direction we want, when in the blink of an eye, everything around us is jostled, tossed around, and completely shaken up. When it has passed, we are not at all where we thought we would be when we first set out.” 3 likes
“Bourgh?” 0 likes