Start by marking “Beyond Apollo” as Want to Read:
Beyond Apollo

Beyond Apollo

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A two-man mission to Venus fails and is aborted; when it returns, the Captain is missing and the other astronaut, Harry M. Evans, is unable to explain what has happened. Or, conversely, he has too many explications; his journal of the expedition - compiled in the mental institution to which NASA has embarrassedly committed him - offers contradictory stories: he murdered th ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 153 pages
Published December 14th 1989 by Carroll & Graf (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Apollo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Apollo

Nate D
Jun 06, 2014 Nate D rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: plummeting into the sun
Recommended to Nate D by: the 5th Venus disturbance
Continuing project: pinpointing the more outre instances of new wave science fictional experimentation. While on the one hand there's a certain sense here that the hyper-prolific, wildly uneven Malzberg may simply be re-routing various post-modern narrative discoveries of his time, on the other, the post-modern discoveries of his time are actually very well suited to conveying his story: of psychological deterioration and narrative fragmentation under the extreme stress and confinement of space ...more
Stephen
5.0 stars. Arguably Barry Malzberg's finest novel and certainly the one he is most remembered for. A one of a kind novel that is "unlike" any other novel I have ever read. Certainly not "light" reading but one that has stayed with me even though it has been years since I first read it.

Winner: John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Novel (1973)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1973).

P.S. I just re-read the novel on January 21, 2010, and the novel has not lost any of its powe
Jared Colley
May 14, 2007 Jared Colley rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of intelligent Sci-fi
Shelves: fiction
This is a hilarious (and at times offensive) sci-fi novel. Malzberg is one of the great new wave sci-fi writers that has now fallen through the cracks. Probably can't find this one in print, but libraries should have it.
James Kemp
This was a difficult read. At first it seemed incoherent trash, and I put it down frequently. Having finished it I believe it is a work of genius.

Only the relative shortness made me keep picking it back up.

I picked it to read as it seemed like it would be a hard SF space flight story. To some extent it is, however what it really covers is the ascent from insanity of the lone survivor of the failed two man mission to Venus. The seemingly incoherent start is merely a reflection of the main charac
Otis Campbell
Don't talk of dust and roses
Or should we powder our noses?
Don't live for last year's capers
Give me steel, give me steel, give me pulsars unreal
He'll build a glass asylum
With just a hint of mayhem
He'll build a better whirlpool
We'll be living from sin,
then we can really begin
Dan
At certain times I felt like giving this book a 3 star rating. It was just so darn confusing. However, I suppose that was just part of the story telling. On the topic of story-telling, this is the most bizarre piece I've ever encountered from any form of media. Names change, stories change, sexuality changes, dreams might be dreams or lies or maybe even government induced hallucinations.

Read it.
Richard
This novel promised in the earlier chapters,it seemed,to be an interesting and unusual chronicle of uncertainty and madness,that could have been an exciting excursion of surreal ambiguity and strange invention,but instead disintegrates into a cluttered mass of rambling and vague vistas of boring,repressed sexual fantasies and the vague notions of an insane survivor of a doomed expedition to Venus,whose memory of the terrible events is apparently impaired.He emerges as nothing more than mad,there ...more
Scott Nieradka
Jul 01, 2009 Scott Nieradka rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Scott by: Alex Parise
Shelves: crap-sci-fi
My friend gave me this book to make me suffer, but it really is almost a good book. some parts are typical malzberg offensive, or really too much information, but the book is saved by a playful gritty feel, and a general uncertainty about what is real or not that persists to the end. A surprisingly good book.
Erik Graff
Aug 23, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Malzberg fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Frankly, I found this acclaimed innovative dytopian science fiction novel irritating. The bibliographical card written at the time says simply "poor scifi."
Hugo
An excellent SF spin on the unreliable narrator trope, with a strong narrative voice and interesting structure.
Umberto Rossi

Ve lo dico subito: se vi è piaciuto Prometheus, l’ultimo polpettone fantascientifico di Ridley Scott, questo romanzo non fa per voi. Se invece avete trovato il suddetto polpettone assolutamente deludente, potreste provare questo romanzo del 1972, riproposto in una nuova traduzione. L’idea è semplice e geniale: nel 1981 gli Stati Uniti spediscono due astronauti su Venere, con una missione low-cost che finisce in modo del tutto inatteso. Dei due ne torna uno solo, Evans; il quale però non racconta
Vicki Dee
I saw a preponderance of positive 5 star reviews on this book ... Unfortunately, I didn't experience it that way. Its interesting ... different ... but ultimately unsatisfying. I felt compelled to finish it, in hopes that I would understand it more clearly if I reached the end ... but, alas, not really. And I did not look forward to reading it. I looked forward to finishing it.
Irene
I didn’t like this book really, but it was interesting. As with some other New Wave sf I’ve read recently, this one was clearly LSD-influenced. Some redeeming humor in the form of political commentary vis-à-vis advances in metaphysics.

Sexually explicit in an almost Nabokovian way, it forced me to think a lot about sex in sf. About taking the most base of human activities and intermixing them with the most technologically exulted.

Finally, I think it’s funny to read sf set in a future that is no
Martin Presberg
interesting. perhaps even excellent. but not compelling, and not a lot of fun.
Rjjhk
leatherbound edition
Steve Joyce
Beyond Apollo is excellent incoherence. Unique.
Harvey
Working my way through the John W Campbell Memorial Award winners. I thought Robert Silverbery's Dying Inside was much better and I haven't read the other two nominees.
Elizabeth
A bizarre, but entertaining story. Truly the poster book for the theme of "unreliable narrator".
David Agranoff
This is a great retro Sci-fi novel written in the 70's.

Full review coming soon.
Wendy Adams-carr
Was a good, quick read - would have liked more clarity.
Jason Ashlock
Gift from Jamie Rubin Christmas '05
Charles
Pretty decent SF.
Fritze
Fritze marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Otto Granath
Otto Granath marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
  • The Alteration
  • Genesis
  • Fairyland
  • The Child Garden
  • Pacific Edge (Three Californias Triptych, #3)
  • The Embedding
  • The Devil Is Dead
  • A Door Into Ocean
  • The Paradox Men
  • Gloriana
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
He has also published as:
Mike Barry (thriller/suspense)
K.M. O'Donnell (science fiction/fantasy)
Mel Johnson (adult)
Howard Lee (martial arts/TV tie-ins)
Lee W. Mason (adult)
Claudine Dumas (adult)
Francine di Natale (adult)
Gerrold Watkins (adult)
Eliot B. Reston

Barry Malzberg lives with his wife and daughter in Manhattan and is worried about having recently reached the ominous age of seventy….

Mr. Malzbe
More about Barry N. Malzberg...
The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time Herovit's World Galaxies Phase IV The Falling Astronauts