Start by marking “Beyond Apollo” as Want to Read:
Beyond Apollo

Beyond Apollo

A two-man mission to Venus fails and is aborted; when it returns, the Captain is missing and the other astronaut, Harry M. Evans, is unable to explain what has happened. Or, conversely, he has too many explications; his journal of the expedition - compiled in the mental institution to which NASA has embarrassedly committed him - offers contradictory stories: he murdered th ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 153 pages
Published December 14th 1989 by Carroll & Graf (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Apollo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Apollo

mark monday
Feb 07, 2016 mark monday rated it really liked it
Recommended to mark by: Nate D
MYSTERY IN SPACE!

photo i want your secrets_zpsrr6wbe3z.jpg

photo S_zpsgavj7ior.png a mystery in space of How Did the Captain of the Venusian Expedition Die? is not the mystery in space  photo P_zpsx3hayfpt.png the mystery in space is the mystery of the inner space  photo O_zps2luclhrz.png the mystery of the confined madman and hopeful author and failed husband and tragic victim and master of projection and master of binary thinking and yet still somehow the master of accepting all probabilities all potentialities all things and possible murderer and time traveler and a lover both impotent and hyper-pot
Stephen
5.0 stars. Arguably Barry Malzberg's finest novel and certainly the one he is most remembered for. A one of a kind novel that is "unlike" any other novel I have ever read. Certainly not "light" reading but one that has stayed with me even though it has been years since I first read it.

Winner: John W. Campbell Memorial Award for Best Novel (1973)
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Science Fiction Novel (1973).

P.S. I just re-read the novel on January 21, 2010, and the novel has not lost any of its powe
Nate D
Jun 06, 2014 Nate D rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: plummeting into the sun
Recommended to Nate D by: the 5th Venus disturbance
Continuing project: pinpointing the more outre instances of new wave science fictional experimentation. While on the one hand there's a certain sense here that the hyper-prolific, wildly uneven Malzberg may simply be re-routing various post-modern narrative discoveries of his time, on the other, the post-modern discoveries of his time are actually very well suited to conveying his story: of psychological deterioration and narrative fragmentation under the extreme stress and confinement of space ...more
Jared Colley
May 14, 2007 Jared Colley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of intelligent Sci-fi
Shelves: fiction
This is a hilarious (and at times offensive) sci-fi novel. Malzberg is one of the great new wave sci-fi writers that has now fallen through the cracks. Probably can't find this one in print, but libraries should have it.
James Kemp
Mar 07, 2013 James Kemp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a difficult read. At first it seemed incoherent trash, and I put it down frequently. Having finished it I believe it is a work of genius.

Only the relative shortness made me keep picking it back up.

I picked it to read as it seemed like it would be a hard SF space flight story. To some extent it is, however what it really covers is the ascent from insanity of the lone survivor of the failed two man mission to Venus. The seemingly incoherent start is merely a reflection of the main charac
Dan
Mar 30, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing
At certain times I felt like giving this book a 3 star rating. It was just so darn confusing. However, I suppose that was just part of the story telling. On the topic of story-telling, this is the most bizarre piece I've ever encountered from any form of media. Names change, stories change, sexuality changes, dreams might be dreams or lies or maybe even government induced hallucinations.

Read it.
Scott Nieradka
Jul 01, 2009 Scott Nieradka rated it really liked it
Recommended to Scott by: Alex Parise
Shelves: crap-sci-fi
My friend gave me this book to make me suffer, but it really is almost a good book. some parts are typical malzberg offensive, or really too much information, but the book is saved by a playful gritty feel, and a general uncertainty about what is real or not that persists to the end. A surprisingly good book.
Erik Graff
Aug 23, 2011 Erik Graff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Malzberg fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
Frankly, I found this acclaimed innovative dytopian science fiction novel irritating. The bibliographical card written at the time says simply "poor scifi."
Hugo
Mar 07, 2014 Hugo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent SF spin on the unreliable narrator trope, with a strong narrative voice and interesting structure.
Umberto Rossi
May 05, 2013 Umberto Rossi rated it really liked it

Ve lo dico subito: se vi è piaciuto Prometheus, l’ultimo polpettone fantascientifico di Ridley Scott, questo romanzo non fa per voi. Se invece avete trovato il suddetto polpettone assolutamente deludente, potreste provare questo romanzo del 1972, riproposto in una nuova traduzione. L’idea è semplice e geniale: nel 1981 gli Stati Uniti spediscono due astronauti su Venere, con una missione low-cost che finisce in modo del tutto inatteso. Dei due ne torna uno solo, Evans; il quale però non racconta
Richard
Jan 15, 2015 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This novel promised in the earlier chapters,it seemed,to be an interesting and unusual chronicle of uncertainty and madness,that could have been an exciting excursion of surreal ambiguity and strange invention,but instead disintegrates into a cluttered mass of rambling and vague vistas of boring,repressed sexual fantasies and the vague notions of an insane survivor of a doomed expedition to Venus,whose memory of the terrible events is apparently impaired.He emerges as nothing more than mad,there ...more
Irene
Nov 23, 2013 Irene rated it it was ok
I didn’t like this book really, but it was interesting. As with some other New Wave sf I’ve read recently, this one was clearly LSD-influenced. Some redeeming humor in the form of political commentary vis-à-vis advances in metaphysics.

Sexually explicit in an almost Nabokovian way, it forced me to think a lot about sex in sf. About taking the most base of human activities and intermixing them with the most technologically exulted.

Finally, I think it’s funny to read sf set in a future that is no
Mark Hodder
Oct 30, 2016 Mark Hodder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Wow, Maltzberg is spiky! This is a very dark look at how the space program could go horribly wrong, resulting in insanity, uncertainty, alienation, and the shattering of anything that might be considered a structured narrative. The novel’s unreliable narrator spins a web of lies, or alternative truths, and leaves it to the reader to decide where, amid the layers, reality might exist. I can understand why this novel might not appeal to everyone but, to me, it represents the very best motives of t ...more
Jheurf
Feb 11, 2016 Jheurf rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
A lot has been said about this book, so I won't go into details.

All I'll say is that I found it painful and boring. Intellectually, I understood it was narrated by a crazy person, but that could not stop me from cringing at all the mechanical sex and misogyny and closet homo-sexuality. Signs of the times I guess.

Halfway through and I'm done with this. Like a previous reviewer said: "I wasn't reading it because I enjoyed it, but because I wanted it to end."
Ben Arzate
Aug 12, 2015 Ben Arzate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own, ebooks
FULL REVIEW HERE

This novel is a definite recommendation. It’s not for everyone, but it’s certainly entertaining, often very funny and very thought-provoking. Much of Malzberg’s work is out of print but hopefully more will be coming back in the near future. He deserves to be named among the other greats of New Wave science fiction like J.G. Ballard and Harlan Ellison.
Vicki Dee
Aug 04, 2014 Vicki Dee rated it it was ok
I saw a preponderance of positive 5 star reviews on this book ... Unfortunately, I didn't experience it that way. Its interesting ... different ... but ultimately unsatisfying. I felt compelled to finish it, in hopes that I would understand it more clearly if I reached the end ... but, alas, not really. And I did not look forward to reading it. I looked forward to finishing it.
Harvey
Sep 24, 2013 Harvey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Working my way through the John W Campbell Memorial Award winners. I thought Robert Silverbery's Dying Inside was much better and I haven't read the other two nominees.
Steve Davidson
Steve Davidson rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Crista
Nov 10, 2016 Crista rated it did not like it
So not my type of book. I love SciFi but after a dozen chapters I walked away.
Dale
Dale rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Martin Presberg
Sep 16, 2014 Martin Presberg rated it liked it
interesting. perhaps even excellent. but not compelling, and not a lot of fun.
Fredrik Harneby
Fredrik Harneby rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Lawrence Jose
Lawrence Jose rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2014
Michael Rosenbaum
Michael Rosenbaum rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2013
Andrew Ten broek
Andrew Ten broek rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Ken Banbury
Ken Banbury rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2016
R.A. Harris
R.A. Harris rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2015
  • The Year of the Quiet Sun
  • The Alteration
  • Genesis
  • Fairyland
  • Probability Space (Probability, #3)
  • Pacific Edge (Three Californias Triptych, #3)
  • The Embedding
  • Titan (The Grand Tour, #15)
  • The Highest Frontier
  • The Devil Is Dead
  • Omega (The Academy, #4)
He has also published as:
Mike Barry (thriller/suspense)
K.M. O'Donnell (science fiction/fantasy)
Mel Johnson (adult)
Howard Lee (martial arts/TV tie-ins)
Lee W. Mason (adult)
Claudine Dumas (adult)
Francine di Natale (adult)
Gerrold Watkins (adult)
Eliot B. Reston

Barry Malzberg lives with his wife and daughter in Manhattan and is worried about having recently reached the ominous age of seventy….

Mr. Malzbe
More about Barry N. Malzberg...