The Ambient Century: From Mahler to Trance: The Evolution of Sound in the Electronic Age

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A comprehensive and absorbing look at the music of the twentieth century, with an introduction by Brian Eno.

The 20th Century saw two revolutionary changes in music. First music was deconstructed from its previously strict form, moving from formal constraints to more accessible melodies. Second, the way in which music was generated radically changed as new electronic equip
Published January 24th 2001 by Bloomsbury USA (first published November 20th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Ambient Century, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ambient Century

Stevedocious
A fascinating book tracing the rise of ambient and minimalist music from the classical music at the start of the twentieth century upto the ambient electronica and dance that closed the century. It is split into four 'books':

The Electronic Landscape
A review of the development of 'serious' music in the 20th century. It starts with the symphonies of Mahler, through Satie's 'Furniture Music' up until the work of Finnish composer Kaija Saariaho in the 1980s.

Minimalism, Eno and the new Simplicity
Cove...more
Paul Austin

Serious ambient music devotees will find it a bit lacking, but for folks like me who only know the 'big' names, it's an incredibly comprehensive primer, and has led me to dozen CDs I've taken out of the library and listen to regularly now...
Christopher
Mark Prendergast's THE AMBIENT CENTURY is an encyclopedia of the biggest names in "ambient music", a style that's never defined, but which might be a) music that the author digs, and b) music that the author doesn't like so much but which lends respectability to later figures.

Prendergast starts off all the way at the beginning of 1900s with innovative classical music figures such as Debussy, Mahler, and Ravel. There is little that these figures have in common with what came later, but Prendergas...more
João Pedro da Costa
There's a lot of criticism concerning this book on the web. Personally, I found it simply amazing: a real-eye opener of the connections between major figures of ambient music from Mahler to Moby.

The fact that the book is more of a practical guide than an essay about ambient music is probably the main why some reader found it disappointing. When I ordered it I was expecting exactly what I ended up reading: a well-written journey through the work and life of key figures of ambient music. I especia...more
Justin
Wooden writing and the encyclopedic format of the book make this an absolute slog. I would much rather read Allmusic reviews of these artists and their albums.

This is definitely not an even-handed history of "sound in the electronic age." Readers can easily tell which artists Prendergast favors over others, and some artists which I personally feel have had a profound impact on recording techniques and overall ambience in recorded music--My Bloody Valentine for instance--gets a few sentences.

To m...more
Grant
Finally! A must read book for lovers of ambient music!
The focus of this book is mostly on the historical aspects and the development of the concepts and early artists of the ambient world. I found it a bit light on the modern ambient music scene (from about 1990 until it's date of publication), I was hoping for it to delve a little deeper. But that's just my personal taste. This book is a great reader for anyone interested in not just ambient music, but for the exciting possibilities of where mu...more
Bennett
I had made a promise to myself only to put up books I love or have found stimulating in one way or another, but this is the only bad review i'll give because I hate the thought of anyone I know wasting their hard earned cash on this piece of shit. dreadful, simplstic, poorly researched, frequently worng (yes, folks.....WRONG!). that in the 20th century music became "ambient" is a completely lame premiss on which to waffle on at length about stuff the author seems to know almost nothing about. th...more
Brian Criner
rather dry, very repetitive, and poorly written. It's saving graces are the truckloads of information and the unique connections made between artists, that connection being their use of ambience.
Eric
Jun 08, 2008 Eric rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
Not much of a cover-to-cover read, more of an all-inclusive reference book. Main negative is that Pendergast's all-inclusive approach tends to blur the distinction between the ambient and avant-garde approaches to music, which are not the same.
Keith
This book was not exactly what I hoped for. While I certain case was made for the origins of the idea of ambient, I can't really say that the case was made in this book. Everything the author liked seemed to be termed ambient.
Andreas Rauh
Exceptional! Outstanding! Great source and reference for practically anything related, even vaguely, to electronic music in the XX century. A clear cut choice for anyone interested in the subject. Highly recommended.
Innerspaceboy
The definitive guide to the ambient genre and its history. I only hope a second revised edition will be published to reflect the recent rise of modern classical and music for films.
Robyn
Oct 24, 2007 Robyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ambient lovers
A good history of the orgins of the ambient music scene. From where is started to where it is now. Many good references, and and awesome way to find out about legendary bands.
Matthias
the one reference book you should have for music that works in the background and is still exciting
Monte
I still reference this book on a regular basis after having read it in 2004.
Matthew Langley
great book, for a certain musical interest
Nathan Smith
Nathan Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Donald Kim
Donald Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Monica Garcia
Monica Garcia marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Catherine Eberhardt
Catherine Eberhardt marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Stewart Mclendon
Stewart Mclendon marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Robert Jones
Robert Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Katherine Pontikes
Katherine Pontikes marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Kody
Kody marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
The Collector's Handbook: Tax Planning, Strategy, and Estate Advice for Collectors and their Heirs The Complete Short Stories of Emile Zola, Volume III