Start by marking “The Plight of the Darcy Brothers:” as Want to Read:
The Plight of the Darcy Brothers:

The Plight of the Darcy Brothers: (Pride and Prejudice Continues #2)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  462 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews

In this lively second installment, the Darcys and Bingleys are plunged into married life and its many accompanying challenges presented by family and friends.

With Jane and Elizabeth away, Darcy and Bingley take on the daunting task of managing their two-year- old children. Mary Bennet returns from the Continent pregnant by an Italian student promised to the church; Darcy a

Published August 1st 2009 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about The Plight of the Darcy Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plight of the Darcy Brothers

Sheila Majczan
Mar 04, 2016 Sheila Majczan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Plight: unfortunate condition: a difficult or dangerous situation, especially a sad or desperate predicament

A Tale of Siblings and Surprises – that subtitle hints at a lot…more than I could have imagined. First: the title, The Plight of the Darcy Brothers, had me wondering, “What Darcy Brothers? Are we jumping into the future and reading of two sons to Darcy and Elizabeth? ” No, readers, we are going to learn something we have had hints about or even suspicions spoken by a character or
Debbie
Jul 30, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marsha Altman did another wonderful job in her second sequel to Pride and Prejudice. The story was once again filled with humor and I loved the direction she took the characters in. Watching the mischief that Lizzie and Darcy’s son, Geoffrey, got into was hilarious and it seems so just to see the serious Mr. Darcy have to deal with his sons antics.

The title of this book had me intrigued because at the close of The Darcys and the Bingleys Darcy and Lizzie only had one son so I was not sure if thi
Talia
Mar 20, 2016 Talia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 2. I love the way Ms Altman continues her character development in this book. The new characters are wonderful and add to her world. Loved it! I want to also add that it is nice to have a book series where Darcy and Bingley's friendship is in the forefront. We sometimes get that with Col Fitz and Darcy but not usually Bingley. I can't think of another book that flushes out Mr Bingely's character so thoroughly. This Bingley is my favorite.
Cinnamon
Sep 01, 2009 Cinnamon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
How does a tale of romance and intrigue sound? Marsha Altman has taken Jane Austen’s characters and created an emotional story that actually left me on the edge of my seat in THE PLIGHT OF THE DARCY BROTHERS: A TALE OF THE DARCYS & THE BINGLEYS. I expected romance, which we definitely received throughout the story and I expected a fair amount of drama as always follows the Bennet daughters. What I didn’t expect was to actually be flipping the pages as quickly as I did in an attempt to figure ...more
Aug 20, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is Altman's second book in her Pride and Predjudice Continues series. It does pick up from her first book, The Darcy's and the Bingleys. You can read my review of that one here.

I really enjoyed this entertaining story. The storyline is inventive and expands upon Austen's beloved characters. The book begins with a loss in the famil whihc the Darcy's are having a difficult time dealing with. Therefore, when a situation arises with Mary Bennett it creates the ideal distraction for the Darcy's
Tina
May 17, 2010 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Plight of the Darcy Brothers. Ms. Altman does a very nice job filling in some background for Ms. Austen’s characters. I love that the male characters continue to comment that they aren’t really supposed to take any interest in their children but do so anyway. The three things that really stuck with are huge spoilers, so if you haven’t read it, don’t read any farther.
1. Seriously! Wickham cannot be Darcy’s brother! It’s just wrong. And how is she going to resolve it just enou
Meghan
Jul 13, 2010 Meghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natalie
Apr 10, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
This book is considerably darker than the first one, but it has you laughing soon enough at the "colorful" antics of Georgie Bingley and Geoffrey Darcy. (One should never leave the children alone with the menfolk, it can get messy.) Once again, Ms. Altman's wonderful sense of humor keeps you laughing even when the Darcy family faces its most difficult times.

The Plight of the Darcy Brothers begins on a sad note, Elizabeth has just miscarried for a second time. Both she and Darcy are heartbroken,
Megan
Oct 28, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
This is Ms. Altman’s second sequel of Pride and Prejudice, this first one (The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentleman’s Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters), was also, exceptionally good. Her third one Mr. Darcy’s Great Escape is due out February 2010.

This book had a little bit of a different feel than the first one. This one was a little more serious, as it was dealing with some more serious issues. However, it still had all the humor and wit as the first one, much to my delight.
Kristin
May 10, 2010 Kristin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Maddison Bullock
Mar 24, 2014 Maddison Bullock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vacation-reads
Absolutely wonderful! Read, finished in two days. Romantic and utterly engaging :)
Kim
Jul 22, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Launa
Aug 24, 2009 Launa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read if you are wanting more of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. I would say not quite as good as the original, but the language is a bit easier for those who struggle with the older language. The author is an expert on sequels spun from P&P and does a good job. I discovered this is actually a sequel of a sequel. Her first was, "The Darcys and The Bingleys: A Tale of Two gentlemen's marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters". Maybe I will try that one next. I enjoyed hearing what was g ...more
Sukriti Goyal
Dec 18, 2014 Sukriti Goyal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
STAR RATING: 4/5
DESCRIPTION IN ONE LINE: Full of surprises at every single page.

Title: The title made me go DARCY BROTHERS!!!!!!! There were no Darcy brothers till now all of a sudden.....there has to be family secrets around here and that too messy ones. It is curious enough to pick it up and go through it.

Title Rating: 4/5

Cover: The cover shows me a serious fight going on between the Darcy Brothers...I supposed that as it ought to be something shocking.

Cover Rating: 4/5

Characters: Take a loo
JPerceval
Last year, I was lucky enough to be introduced to Marsha Altman’s wonderful sequel to Pride and Prejudice, The Darcys and the Bingleys. This year, I got lucky again: I scored an advanced copy of the next book, The Plight of the Darcy Brothers. I am happy to report that this book was delightful as well.

Click here for full review.
Carol Perrin
Jan 12, 2015 Carol Perrin rated it really liked it
Plight of the Darcy Brothers: A Tale of the Darcys and the Bingleys

Enjoyed the story even though I had trouble imagining old Mr. Darcy being caught with his pants down twice. Fitzwilliam eventually accepted one bastard brother, but struggled with accepting the other. When confronts the second bastard brother, this brother doesn't believe him and challenges to a duel.
Jenn
May 23, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I'm glad I decided to read this sequel to the first book. The first book was just ok, but this second book was fun and differently entertaining. Even though the author is not Jane Austen, it was interesting to see the liberties she took with the characters and their storylines and expanded them. Looking forward to the next book.
Mitzi
Jun 28, 2010 Mitzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took the Darcy family to a whole other level, which I thought was quite interesting, and the humor from Altman's first sequel is carried over into this one which is a plus. She really starts to flesh out the characters as her own, and puts them through their paces in an action packed storyline. Another fun read :)
Shazzer
Mar 23, 2010 Shazzer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of all the "P&P continued..." books, I do believe I enjoy Ms. Altman's the best. Full of giggles (the ink!), drama (the Darcy brothers!) and lovely romance. And I love that she allows Bingley his own little space of story and indulges his personality. Dear Bingley! :)
Amie
In keeping with things Jane Austen would never write about, these novels seem to be filled with guns and swords. The story is still very fun and I love the characters from Jane Austen's novels 'living on' in these sequels.
Claudine Dimuzio
Wonderful series!!

I just finished this book and I am grinning ear to ear... Marsha Altman has continued to write a delightful series that warms the heart and soul of any P&P lover!!!
Becca
May 11, 2010 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is no quality book, but darn, it's fun! It's definitely good finals week reading, and I timed it so that I was in the middle of it when I watched the BBC P&P with friends.
Paulina
Mar 11, 2010 Paulina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, hilarious, written with such a wit that makes the reader so close to the action...I even feel myself part of Pemberley. ha!
Andrea
Apr 12, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of melodrama, but some funny moments. Not funny like Austen, but still a sense of humor.
Patricia Gulley
Mar 06, 2010 Patricia Gulley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another extention of P&P with the wind being taken out of the Prideful Darcy. Good story
Alexa Adams
I mcuh preferred the first book by Ms. Altman.
Christine
Sep 16, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE IT!!!! COuld not put it down!!!!
Marylou
Just a fun book to read!
Deb
Jul 25, 2011 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Very enjoyable.
Alice
Oct 31, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
Book 2 in the continuation of P & P

The story continues in a most unique way, yet still in keeping with Jane Austen's characters. In this volume the theme of birth out of wedlock and bastard sons is dealt with by the Darcy, Mattox, Bennett and Wickham families. Also Darcy's pride is tested.

Again, this story is probably more action oriented than perhaps Austen, but in no way detracts from the original P & P. I am thoroughly enjoying this series and looking forward to the next book.
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • By Force of Instinct: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (Darcy #2)
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • A Woman of Influence
  • And This Our Life (Chronicles of the Darcy Family #1)
  • Pemberley Manor
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • The Perfect Bride for Mr. Darcy
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • The Darcy Connection
Marsha Altman is an author and historian specializing in Rabbinic literature in late antiquity. She is also an expert on Jane Austen sequels, having read nearly all of them. She works in publishing and is writing a series continuing the story of the Darcys and Bingleys. She lives in New York City. She does not own any cats.

The order of the "Darcys and the Bingleys" series is:
1. The Darcys and the
More about Marsha Altman...

Pride and Prejudice Continues (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentlemen's Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 1)
  • Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 3)
  • The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 4)
  • Other Tales: Stories from The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy
  • The Knights of Derbyshire (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 5)
  • Georgiana and the Wolf (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 6)
  • Young Mr. Darcy in Love (Pride and Prejudice Continues, #7)
  • The Chrysanthemum and the Rose (The Darcys and the Bingleys, #8)
  • The Trials of George Wickham the Younger (The Darcys and the Bingleys, #9)
  • The Last of the Wine: Pride and Prejudice Continues (The Darcys and the Bingleys, #10)