The Plight of the Darcy Brothers:

The Plight of the Darcy Brothers: (Pride and Prejudice Continues #2)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  52 reviews

In this lively second installment, the Darcys and Bingleys are plunged into married life and its many accompanying challenges presented by family and friends.

With Jane and Elizabeth away, Darcy and Bingley take on the daunting task of managing their two-year- old children. Mary Bennet returns from the Continent pregnant by an Italian student promised to the church; Darcy a

Published (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Plight of the Darcy Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plight of the Darcy Brothers

Debbie
Marsha Altman did another wonderful job in her second sequel to Pride and Prejudice. The story was once again filled with humor and I loved the direction she took the characters in. Watching the mischief that Lizzie and Darcy’s son, Geoffrey, got into was hilarious and it seems so just to see the serious Mr. Darcy have to deal with his sons antics.

The title of this book had me intrigued because at the close of The Darcys and the Bingleys Darcy and Lizzie only had one son so I was not sure if thi...more
Cinnamon
How does a tale of romance and intrigue sound? Marsha Altman has taken Jane Austen’s characters and created an emotional story that actually left me on the edge of my seat in THE PLIGHT OF THE DARCY BROTHERS: A TALE OF THE DARCYS & THE BINGLEYS. I expected romance, which we definitely received throughout the story and I expected a fair amount of drama as always follows the Bennet daughters. What I didn’t expect was to actually be flipping the pages as quickly as I did in an attempt to figure...more
This is Altman's second book in her Pride and Predjudice Continues series. It does pick up from her first book, The Darcy's and the Bingleys. You can read my review of that one here.

I really enjoyed this entertaining story. The storyline is inventive and expands upon Austen's beloved characters. The book begins with a loss in the famil whihc the Darcy's are having a difficult time dealing with. Therefore, when a situation arises with Mary Bennett it creates the ideal distraction for the Darcy's...more
Tina
I really enjoyed The Plight of the Darcy Brothers. Ms. Altman does a very nice job filling in some background for Ms. Austen’s characters. I love that the male characters continue to comment that they aren’t really supposed to take any interest in their children but do so anyway. The three things that really stuck with are huge spoilers, so if you haven’t read it, don’t read any farther.
1. Seriously! Wickham cannot be Darcy’s brother! It’s just wrong. And how is she going to resolve it just enou...more
Meghan
Natalie
This book is considerably darker than the first one, but it has you laughing soon enough at the "colorful" antics of Georgie Bingley and Geoffrey Darcy. (One should never leave the children alone with the menfolk, it can get messy.) Once again, Ms. Altman's wonderful sense of humor keeps you laughing even when the Darcy family faces its most difficult times.

The Plight of the Darcy Brothers begins on a sad note, Elizabeth has just miscarried for a second time. Both she and Darcy are heartbroken,...more
Megan
Oct 28, 2009 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans
This is Ms. Altman’s second sequel of Pride and Prejudice, this first one (The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentleman’s Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters), was also, exceptionally good. Her third one Mr. Darcy’s Great Escape is due out February 2010.

This book had a little bit of a different feel than the first one. This one was a little more serious, as it was dealing with some more serious issues. However, it still had all the humor and wit as the first one, much to my delight....more
Kristin
Maddison Bullock
Absolutely wonderful! Read, finished in two days. Romantic and utterly engaging :)
Kim
Launa
A fun read if you are wanting more of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. I would say not quite as good as the original, but the language is a bit easier for those who struggle with the older language. The author is an expert on sequels spun from P&P and does a good job. I discovered this is actually a sequel of a sequel. Her first was, "The Darcys and The Bingleys: A Tale of Two gentlemen's marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters". Maybe I will try that one next. I enjoyed hearing what was g...more
JPerceval
Last year, I was lucky enough to be introduced to Marsha Altman’s wonderful sequel to Pride and Prejudice, The Darcys and the Bingleys. This year, I got lucky again: I scored an advanced copy of the next book, The Plight of the Darcy Brothers. I am happy to report that this book was delightful as well.

Click here for full review.
Jenn
I'm glad I decided to read this sequel to the first book. The first book was just ok, but this second book was fun and differently entertaining. Even though the author is not Jane Austen, it was interesting to see the liberties she took with the characters and their storylines and expanded them. Looking forward to the next book.
Mitzi
This book took the Darcy family to a whole other level, which I thought was quite interesting, and the humor from Altman's first sequel is carried over into this one which is a plus. She really starts to flesh out the characters as her own, and puts them through their paces in an action packed storyline. Another fun read :)
Shazzer
Of all the "P&P continued..." books, I do believe I enjoy Ms. Altman's the best. Full of giggles (the ink!), drama (the Darcy brothers!) and lovely romance. And I love that she allows Bingley his own little space of story and indulges his personality. Dear Bingley! :)
Amy
In keeping with things Jane Austen would never write about, these novels seem to be filled with guns and swords. The story is still very fun and I love the characters from Jane Austen's novels 'living on' in these sequels.
Becca R.G.
This is no quality book, but darn, it's fun! It's definitely good finals week reading, and I timed it so that I was in the middle of it when I watched the BBC P&P with friends.
Paulina
Wonderful, hilarious, written with such a wit that makes the reader so close to the action...I even feel myself part of Pemberley. ha!
Andrea
A lot of melodrama, but some funny moments. Not funny like Austen, but still a sense of humor.
Patricia Gulley
Another extention of P&P with the wind being taken out of the Prideful Darcy. Good story
Alexa Adams
I mcuh preferred the first book by Ms. Altman.
Christine
LOVE IT!!!! COuld not put it down!!!!
Marylou
Just a fun book to read!
Deb
Very enjoyable.
Sam
I absolutely LOVED the first book in this series, "The Darcys and the Bingleys," so I couldn't wait to pick up this book from the library. I was excited to get started and I couldn't believe the plot lines that were promised by this installment: Darcy learns of his father's indiscretions, resulting in some unknown relatives; and Mary Bennett's illegitimate child, to name a few.
I felt that this book was a seamless continuation of the first book, with loveable, human characters (even Mrs. Bennett...more
Sensitivemuse
It helps if you read The Darcys and the Bingleys first (besides, it was a great book, after all). Leave the majority of your assumptions of each character at the door. This book takes all the Pride and Prejudice characters and spins it around so they act different than what you thought they would be. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, although it may take some time getting used to. Especially in the case of Mary Bennet. Whoever thought she’d be the one to mess things up this time?

The com...more
Samantha
Elizabeth Gaskins
I saw this book and was drawn to it. I am really glad that I read it. Jane Austen is one of my all-time favorite authors and anytime I see that someone has decided to continue one of her stories or write in that style I am immediately interested.

Marsha Altman's work thoroughly impressed me. One of my greatest fears when I read a "continuance" as I call it (I'm not sure if that's the correct term) is that if I loved the original, I'm afraid an author who is not the original author will change de...more
Jessica
It's in this second book of her continuing story of Pride and Prejudice, that I feel Ms. Altman really begins to develop the depth of her story. In the first book we began with a fluffy, romantic comedy of sorts then ended with some drama and a more difficult and strained romance that none the less worked out well in the end. In "The Plight of the Darcy Brothers" and the subsequent novels in this series ("Darcy's Great Escape" etc), the author expands the storyline outside of the usual “Darcy lo...more
Lia Marcoux
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • A Marriage Worth The Earning: ~To Have And To Hold~
  • And This Our Life: Chronicles of the Darcy Family: Book 1
  • Mrs Darcy's Dilemma
  • Pemberley Manor
  • Darcy's Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr. Darcy's Daughter (The Pemberley Chronicles, #5)
  • Mr. Darcy's Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Darcys Give a Ball: A Gentle Joke, Jane Austen Style
  • First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice
  • For You Alone (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #2)
  • Affinity and Affection
  • A Pemberley Medley
  • Searching For Pemberley
  • Pemberley Shades: A Lightly Gothic Tale of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy
  • Darcy and Anne: It Is a Truth Universally Acknowledged That Lady Catherine Will Never Find a Husband for Anne...
Marsha Altman is an author and historian specializing in Rabbinic literature in late antiquity. She is also an expert on Jane Austen sequels, having read nearly all of them. She works in publishing and is writing a series continuing the story of the Darcys and Bingleys. She lives in New York City. She does not own any cats.

The order of the "Darcys and the Bingleys" series is:
1. The Darcys and the...more
More about Marsha Altman...
The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentlemen's Marriages to Two Most Devoted Sisters (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 1) Mr. Darcy's Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 3) The Ballad of Gregoire Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 4) The Road to Pemberley: An Anthology of New Pride and Prejudice Stories The Knights of Derbyshire (Pride and Prejudice Continues, # 5)