Start by marking “Promises to Keep” as Want to Read:
Promises to Keep

Promises to Keep (Ludzecky Sisters)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  372 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A high-school principal resents the new Crisis Counselor assigned to her school. But Joe Stonehouse is really an undercover Secret Service Agent. Will the truth temper the attraction that threatens to set them both on fire?
Published August 6th 2002 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Promises to Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises to Keep

Widowed principal is disturbed by new & attractive school psychologist's presence in her school. It heightens when she finds out that he is working undercover with a partner who's posing as a somewhat troubled high-school senior in order to stop a deadly student plot to commit violence towards the staff & students.

This was an ok romance-suspense book. There wasn't any big surprises on the suspense-action part. The main romance didn't grab me but I sure did like the 2ndary romance with th
Where have I been??? Engrossed in this Secret Service assignment with Agents Joe & Luke. Sadly, their assignment VERY real playing out in headlines across the violence. If only there were a way to NEVER have to hear of such the violence ever again!!!
Debbie Oxier
This was a thoroughly entertaining read, well-researched, well-written. Susanna is a high school principal. When the superintendent of her school informs her two Secret Service agents are going undercover, posing as a counselor and student respectively, she isn't happy. Joe's niece was killed in a school shooting so he's made it his life's goal to prevent the same thing from happening in other schools. He's part of a special group who study schools, assessing them for risks of violence and poten ...more
B J  Galaday
It had to stop

As I write this review, another school incident is on this evening's news. Fortunately the loss of more young lives was avoided by negotiations with the troubled youth holding his teacher and twenty-eight fellow students hostage and some highly trained officials. Maybe if such secret service operations as in this story are a reality in today's schools, these heartbreaking occurrences can be reduced.
I will leave the review of the actual story to others and just write about my reacti
I found this story has a very applicable plot for this day and age, and I was very interested in reading how schools handle the current situations in conjunction with the Secret Service departments. I really appreciated the research the author did in detailing this story of a school where there were a number of students who were "at risk". I think the author did a great job in keeping this story moving to an interesting end in relation to the school at risk.

However, I really found it unbelievab
Pamela Devereux

Susanna Quinn is the principal of a high school that was flagged by a secret service program. In comes Joe Stonehouse to go undercover as a counselor. He also brings Luke Ludzecky with him to go undercover as a student. She can't tell anyone they are there. This goes against everything she believes in. While Joe & Suzanna meet to implement programs to help the kids, Luke is getting in with the wrong kids. The only problem is teacher Kelsey Cunningham is good looking and Luke is ha
Well done, originally completed in 2002. This is the story of two Secret Service agents who travel to schools undercover to assess and prevent school violence from happening. These two agents, Joe and Luke, do not know what hit them when they meet the principal and a beautiful young teacher.

The story unwinds slowly but rings true, dealing with high school suicide, groups and cliques, bullying and teenage sex. Shay strikes a gong or two about liberal teachers, gun rights and First Amendment right
A very hot topic in the times we are living in now. Suzanna has been introduced by her superintendent that a new crisis counselor will be added to her school. She later finds out he is an undercover officer trying to stop a columbine type of situation. In this book its not one but two stories happening. Suzanna best friend and one of her teacher starts being attracted to a new student luke who happens to be an undercover cop. Not a bad storyline but I feel with Shay's books( this being my second ...more
Andrea Akers

Kathryn Shay's books are timely, informative and loving. I always enjoy her books. Promises to Keep, tackles the subject of school violence, what we as adults and as educators can do to watch for and hopefully percent violence in the schools. We also see two wonderful love stories in this book. We experience how it is possible for two people to fall in love while working closely together and the obstacles they meet. Highly recommended if you like to read stories set in a high school settin
Favorite Quote: "Her face shut down quicker than a door slamming in your face."
There are two romances in this story. The first romance being between an older couple, Joe and secret service agent and the highschool principle who I honestly can't remember her name because she was about that interesting. This romance was predictable and entirely too perfect. The son being understanding and having no problems at all with his mom's new boyfriend? Not beliveable. But it was good and I love the thought of a widow getting a second chance at love with a hot, mature man.

The 2nd rom
I spent several years working in a school, most rewarding time of my life. I very much enjoyed this book, felt the 'reality' of it in the telling. The romance was full of angst, frustration and the all too well known 'shit happens' parts. Always like happy endings, even if a little predictable, but I can't hold that against Ms. Shay. Learning how to get through to teenagers is very hard, equally as hard as getting through to so many adults. I admire the story line of this book and the obvious re ...more
Christine Ackerknecht
Promises to Keep

Realistic as to what is happening in schools today...definitely scary for all of us. As teachers, these characters are right on target...dedication and a love of children, keep them motivated to keep their students safe. The Secret Service in high schools? What's going on in this world? The for main characters, all linked romantically, are all heroes in my book. This was a very enjoyable read.
A plot plucked from the headlines--the Secret Services goes undercover at a school with significant risk factors for school violence. I liked the two romances, but the one in which feelings developed between the couple while the teacher still thought the "boy" she was attracted to was a high school student was more emotional.
d f conklin mcculloch
Undercover secret service agents fighting violence in schools while finding lasting happiness

Ms. Shay brings a by-the-book special agent into an environment with a open-book principal and the sparks begin to fly. The material is handled in an informative manner without disrupting the story.
I read to page 150 and just got bored with it. It got so nearly every page had some sexual reference. You would think that a topic as serious as school shootings could be told without "getting hard".

Language is rough in places, a few f words. I would rate this at least ages 16 and up.
Lily Harlem
I really enjoyed this. It was a difficult setting for a romance but it worked well and the author handled it brilliantly. It's a good length too so you can really get into the characters. Some nice sexy moments that release the tension that's grown between the characters.
Michelle Pendl
Love, lies, tragedy and trust

Have you ever said or heard, "you should write a book" or "That could be a soap opera" before. Those are the impressions I came away with from this book. I really enjoyed reading this book and had no trouble keeping the characters straight.
Linda Zelinsky
Loved the book and the way Kathryn Shay brought in the suspense. I have read most of her books and this one is one of the best. The story about possible high school violence is very close to life today and keeps you riveted to your chair. Highly recommend this book.
I had my doubts about 2 heroes and 2 heroines, but it turned out to be a rather heartwarming and exciting read. I loved the concept of an adult being undercover in a school and how the ramifications affected so many people. Luke was a very likable character and I like how he was able to learn from a previous mistake and earn respect of his co-worker, Joe. Joe's backstory was sad but not overdone and I like how it impacted his life and personality but he was able to overcome it. And than both Suz ...more
Ok read

Not my favorite of her books..... but overall an ok read. Was slow to get started, but sticking with it and glad I did. Might have been better to give Joe and Luke their own books.
I really enjoyed this novel. It was skillfully plotted, used a very readable writing style, had well developed and relatable characters, and was fast-paced (for the most part).
Promises to Keep - (Joe and Suzanna) H.S. violence is overcome , S.S. looses 2 agents who retire

Good read

Very easy to read. Flows very well. Hard to put the book down. I would definitely read more from this author.
Rita C
well written characters and the conflicts were resolved in a believable way. I may check out more books by this author.
It was hard to put this story down. Packed with drama, twists and turns. Great characters.
Sharon SAM Mcdougall
I like the story but found that there wasn't much interaction between the couples
Katlynn Thompson
I love the detail that Kathryn Shay puts into her books, her research into the topics of her books is amazing. This is the second book of Shay's that I've read, and while I haven't been blown away by the plot as a whole, I sincerely admire her passion; it is the reason these books have made a lasting impact on me.
Victoria Newman
Is a great book to read
Excellent read

Can Joe and Lucas get in and out of the Fairholme high school with their true identities still a secret, can they do their jobs and just leave the women that have stole their hearts. Will love finally being these two men down.
  • Daring (A-Tac, #3.5)
  • Peppermint Creek Inn (Undercover, #1)
  • In the Arms of Danger
  • Kisses to Remember
  • Christmas in Cold Creek (Cowboys of Cold Creek, #9)
  • Seeking Vengeance
  • Dare Me
  • At Long Odds (Caspian Chronicles, #1)
  • No More Running
  • Justified (Madison Knight, #2)
  • Abduction (A Shefford-Johnson Case, #1)
  • The Calling (Night Breeds, #1)
  • Jockeys and Jewels (Racetrack Romance, #3)
  • Shattered
  • Her Master Defender (Masters Men, #1)
  • First You Run (Bullet Catcher, #4)
  • Always Yesterday
  • Courage Dares (Sisters of Spirit, #4)
Kathryn Shay is a lifelong writer. At fifteen, she penned her first 'romance,' a short story about a female newspaper reporter in New York City and her fight to make a name for herself in a world of male journalists - and with one hardheaded editor in particular. Looking back, Kathryn says she should have known then that writing was in her future. But as so often happens, fate sent her detouring d ...more
More about Kathryn Shay...

Ludzecky Sisters (6 books)
  • Begin Again (The Ludzecky Sisters Book 1)
  • Primary Colors (The Ludzecky Sisters Book 2)
  • Risky Business (The Ludzecky Sisters Book 3)
  • The Way We Were (The Ludzecky Sisters Book 4)
  • Handle with Care (The Ludzecky Sisters Book 5)
  • Love Story (The Ludzecky Sisters Book 6)
In Too Deep (America's Bravest, #1) Someone to Believe In (O'Neil Family, #1) After the Fire (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #1) On the Line (Hidden Cove Firefighters, #2) America's Bravest (America's Bravest, #1-6)