Start by marking “The Big Garage on Clear Shot: Growing Up, Growing Old, and Going Fishing at the End of the Road” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In this winderful new gem of a book, Tom Bodett takes readers back to the End of the Road to tell some fresh stories, just like those heard around the coffeepot at the Big Garage on Clearshot. Here is a big, wise, and diverse book, shot through with simple truths of life as it's really lived. Illustrations.
Published October 1st 1990 by William Morrow & Company (first published September 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Garage on Clear Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Garage on Clear Shot

Brett
Jan 15, 2016 Brett rated it it was amazing
Another Tom Bodett masterpiece. This is a continuation of "End of the Road" where you hear more stories of the characters you came to love from the first book, plus you meet a couple new ones. Who knew that Tom Bodett of Motel 6 fame would become one of my favorite story tellers of all time?!
KennyO
Dec 03, 2014 KennyO rated it really liked it
See my review of The End of the Road for my thoughts on Bodett and his world.

More stories about the wonderful people who people the town of The End of the Road, Alaska. There's a bit of the warm and poignant in this volume.
Linda
Aug 24, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who want to be entertained
Recommended to Linda by: Bought it used at a resale shop.
I so enjoyed this book that I want to find more books by this author. It is LOL funny and also touching (both literally and figuratively). This may be set in small town Alaska but the characters are unique and universal.
Jill Porter
Mar 27, 2015 Jill Porter rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Very funny. Stories make you feel like you know them.
Milo
Nov 16, 2008 Milo rated it it was amazing
Bodett is far more than the Motel 6 voice. His writing is at the very top of what I would call the "clean, funny, informative and funny [again]" genre. His bboks on tape are a must in order to "get it". His characters become your friends. Like people in your neighborhood or old aquantences. Doug McDougan is the guy we all know, hate and love. Norman Tuttle is the new teenager lost in his hormones, Angus, the junk dealer, is the practical guy and Tamara is the greenhead taken to the ultimate degr ...more
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Delightful.
Sharon Holford
Jul 24, 2012 Sharon Holford rated it really liked it

Entertaining read reminiscent of Garrison Keillor stories in a different setting - Alaska small town. Argus is an interesting character as are they all, but he stands out. Inviting a lady to dinner - frozen TV dinners. Proposing to her via water tanks!!! All in all a very pleasant read.
Alan
Jun 20, 2009 Alan rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable. I actually like Bodett better than Garrison Keillor (and I know I spelled it wrong). His town of crazy eccentrics from his radio show is just more enjoyable to me. I've got to read the rest of the series.
Gary
Jul 25, 2009 Gary rated it really liked it
Fun relaxing story telling at it's best.
Leslie
Jan 30, 2011 Leslie added it
True Alaska
Cws
Aug 14, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Bod
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Gpswh
Gpswh marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Fish7
Fish7 added it
Apr 16, 2016
BookCrazy
BookCrazy rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Roberta Boulton
Roberta Boulton marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
James
James added it
Jan 31, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Dennis Tyler
Dennis Tyler rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
John
John added it
Jan 16, 2016
Edie Edwards
Edie Edwards rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2015
Chris Fow Cohen
Chris Fow Cohen rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Tom Bodett is an American author, voice actor and radio host. He is also the current spokesman for the hotel chain Motel 6 and is famous for popularizing the phrase, "We'll leave the light on for you".
A native of Sturgis, Michigan, Bodett had previously provided commentary for National Public Radio's All Things Considered, and was a regular columnist for the webzine Mr. Showbiz. He also did the
More about Tom Bodett...