Start by marking “Night Victims” as Want to Read:
Night Victims

Night Victims (Night #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  350 ratings  ·  33 reviews

This is a re-published book, previously entitled Night Spider.

Good Night, Sleep Tight

A computer programmer, a casting director, a call girl. The victims have nothing in common except the manner in which they spent their last night—wrapped in their own bed sheets in a bloody ritual of slow, agonizing death.

. . . And Never Wake Again

For NYPD Captain Thomas Horn, thi

Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Night Victims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Victims

Karin Wollina
I listened to the audiobookversion: the narrator (Scott Brick) saved the story for me !
Bill Shuey
This I believe is my second John Lutz book to have read. The main characters are different than the previous novel, but they are equally flawed and believable human beings with limitations.

This is another serial killer tale - and it is plausible that the events could happen, if a properly trained demented individual was so in mind to perform the horrible acts depicted in the book.

Lutz provides a surprise ending - I didn't see it coming. All in all this is an interesting book that anyone who like
RATING: 3.25

He had an abusive childhood, raised by an unstable mother who headed a religious sect which had revival meetings at their home. Whenever these took place, he was locked in a closet, alone with the spiders that would bite him. As an adult, he became a member of a top-secret military group that participated in covert operations. Now that he's returned to civilian life, he's combined all of the elements of his past to become a serial killer. He preys on confident women who live in high-
Christina Altsman
Great book, kept me guessing!!
Def be in the reread section of my bookshelf!!
Keeps you hooked til the very end every time. P.I. thriller/mystery.
Excellent! I kept reading faster and faster until I got to the end!
Summary in thirty words or fewer: An unlikely investigative duo teams up with a retired FBI profiler to catch a killer who wraps his victims tightly before leaving them to bleed to death of stab wounds.

Eh. This book was okay for its genre. The characters had a few interesting points, the story had an unexpected twist, etc. I read this aboard a Canadian Coast Guard ship when I had run out of other reading material, so it served its purpose of keeping me entertained until we returned to shore.
I would have liked this book if it wasn't the exact copy of his other book. The same plot almost. He hates his mother. He spells out the name of his the cop that is trying to catch him with the first letter of each kill. The ending was a little different but that is about it. I would have given it more stars but I just couldn't because the plot was the same.
This was not my favourite book by John Lutz by a longshot. I seem to enjoy his newer material more, although I have to admit it was still a step up from The Ex. This took me a while to read, although I'm still not sure why it didn't grab me. Atleast it had a twist at the end that I didn't see coming, and I had even guessed something completely different.
I hate it when I start reading a book only to realize I've read it before. Bought this without having done the research. This was a good book when it was first published as Night Spider. Changing the title won't make it any better. I really hate it when publishers confuse people by bringing out early works with new titles.
Very poorly researched. It was not a case where 'suspension of disbelieve' could be called for; it was simply unbelievable. It deserves one star, but I really have to hate a book to do that, and, when you love stories, that happens infrequently. Would not recommend to anyone.
Personally I would rate this a very weak 3 stars. It should have ended sooner. In fact I thought I was done 100 pages before the book ended. I will say that if you like James Patterson then you would probably like John Lutz.
Excellent plot. The writing was a bit choppy and the end was great up to the first twist at the end, but I thought the author went for too much when he added several more twists to the end. Still, very entertaining read
Viera Sedláková
This book actually had me waking up in the middle of the night scared of spiders and people trying to get to my room through the window. So I guess it was a good book. But I sure am glad I'm done with it.
Billie Cubic
This author is a little stuck on a theme in his writing so far. If you can be patient through the first few chapters to differentiate the charactors it improves greatly. Loved the twists and turns of this one.
I enjoyed this story, but there were a lot of players in this one - not unusual for Lutz - but it was hard to keep track at times. Was a little surprised by the ending - always a good thing.
I thought this book was very suspenseful and a page turner. I read this a few years ago and would recommend that you are not walking alone at night after you read this. LOL It's really a chiller.
It was a good book, I think it could have been more exciting though, I've read other books, that totally shocked you, but this was still a good book. I liked the romance parts of the book.
For on the edge of your seat suspense try John Lutz, this man spins a tale like you can't believe. I picked this book up and was caught in the web in the first sentance.
Adam Wilson
A faaantastic mystery-thriller. This one convinced me to read a lot more by Lutz.
I like the book it was a fast read. Plan on reading the rest of the Night Series.
Tracy Jones
Brilliant from start to finish. Gruesome, graphic & full of twists. Brilliant!!
Really enjoyed this book, very exciting and good characters.
Bill Schubert
Good plot and creepy villain reminiscent of Koontz.
good twists in story but beginning slow to get started
This has been re-released as Night Victims.
Good book with a serial killer and a great plot.
I knew it!! There were more than one spider.
Never saw the end coming. Great book.
  • Genesis (The Colony, #1)
  • Tiger
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • The Long Midnight Of Barney Thomson (Barney Thomson, #1)
  • Death Tidies Up (Charlotte LaRue Mystery, #2)
  • If You Have A Hat. A Silly Rhyming Picture Book For Children
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Blame It On The Mistletoe (Bright's Pond #4)
  • The Takers (The Oz Chronicles, #1)
  • Nuptials for Sale
  • Killer Crabs
  • Safe at Home: A Novel
  • Zan (Spiritdell, #1)
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • Over Her Dead Body
  • Orange as Marmalade (Biscuit McKee Mystery #1)
  • The Next to Die
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Night (6 books)
  • The Night Caller (Night #1)
  • The Night Watcher (Night #2)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • Fear the Night (Night, #5)
  • Chill of Night (Night #6)