Start by marking “Night Victims” as Want to Read:
Night Victims

Night Victims (Night #3)

This is a re-published book, previously entitled Night Spider.

Good Night, Sleep Tight

A computer programmer, a casting director, a call girl. The victims have nothing in common except the manner in which they spent their last night—wrapped in their own bed sheets in a bloody ritual of slow, agonizing death.

. . . And Never Wake Again

For NYPD Captain Thomas Horn, thi

Published (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Night Victims, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Victims

Karin Wollina
Feb 15, 2013 Karin Wollina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-audiobooks
I listened to the audiobookversion: the narrator (Scott Brick) saved the story for me !
Maddy
May 18, 2010 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2004-reads
RATING: 3.25

He had an abusive childhood, raised by an unstable mother who headed a religious sect which had revival meetings at their home. Whenever these took place, he was locked in a closet, alone with the spiders that would bite him. As an adult, he became a member of a top-secret military group that participated in covert operations. Now that he's returned to civilian life, he's combined all of the elements of his past to become a serial killer. He preys on confident women who live in high-
Megan
Sep 06, 2010 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Summary in thirty words or fewer: An unlikely investigative duo teams up with a retired FBI profiler to catch a killer who wraps his victims tightly before leaving them to bleed to death of stab wounds.

Eh. This book was okay for its genre. The characters had a few interesting points, the story had an unexpected twist, etc. I read this aboard a Canadian Coast Guard ship when I had run out of other reading material, so it served its purpose of keeping me entertained until we returned to shore.
Bill Shuey
Apr 15, 2015 Bill Shuey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This I believe is my second John Lutz book to have read. The main characters are different than the previous novel, but they are equally flawed and believable human beings with limitations.

This is another serial killer tale - and it is plausible that the events could happen, if a properly trained demented individual was so in mind to perform the horrible acts depicted in the book.

Lutz provides a surprise ending - I didn't see it coming. All in all this is an interesting book that anyone who like
Jenn
Nov 14, 2008 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not my favourite book by John Lutz by a longshot. I seem to enjoy his newer material more, although I have to admit it was still a step up from The Ex. This took me a while to read, although I'm still not sure why it didn't grab me. Atleast it had a twist at the end that I didn't see coming, and I had even guessed something completely different.
Eric_W
Nov 24, 2010 Eric_W rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate it when I start reading a book only to realize I've read it before. Bought this without having done the research. This was a good book when it was first published as Night Spider. Changing the title won't make it any better. I really hate it when publishers confuse people by bringing out early works with new titles.
Davin
Nov 05, 2009 Davin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would have liked this book if it wasn't the exact copy of his other book. The same plot almost. He hates his mother. He spells out the name of his the cop that is trying to catch him with the first letter of each kill. The ending was a little different but that is about it. I would have given it more stars but I just couldn't because the plot was the same.
Charles Mcdonald
A killer is about and Assistant Chief Roland Larkin thinks this case will need special help and he calls upon a retired former homicide captain Thomas Horn.

In no time, Horn discovers that the killer is targeting him in addition to the several cruel murders.

A good read - but not a great read.
Viera
Nov 29, 2014 Viera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detektivky
This book actually had me waking up in the middle of the night scared of spiders and people trying to get to my room through the window. So I guess it was a good book. But I sure am glad I'm done with it.
Billie Cubic
May 13, 2008 Billie Cubic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author is a little stuck on a theme in his writing so far. If you can be patient through the first few chapters to differentiate the charactors it improves greatly. Loved the twists and turns of this one.
Gwendolyn
Jun 13, 2010 Gwendolyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, fiction
Very poorly researched. It was not a case where 'suspension of disbelieve' could be called for; it was simply unbelievable. It deserves one star, but I really have to hate a book to do that, and, when you love stories, that happens infrequently. Would not recommend to anyone.
Ahouse4biswas
An ok read, I didn't hate it. The plot was somewhat convoluted in places. It came to an abrupt end that was not really an ending because it went on for several more chapters. Also I wasn't really impressed with the way the relationship played out with Horn and Anne.
Kay
Sep 02, 2012 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Personally I would rate this a very weak 3 stars. It should have ended sooner. In fact I thought I was done 100 pages before the book ended. I will say that if you like James Patterson then you would probably like John Lutz.
Ricardo
Excellent plot. The writing was a bit choppy and the end was great up to the first twist at the end, but I thought the author went for too much when he added several more twists to the end. Still, very entertaining read
Tiffany
Jul 28, 2011 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
It was a good book, I think it could have been more exciting though, I've read other books, that totally shocked you, but this was still a good book. I liked the romance parts of the book.
Sandie
Jun 06, 2009 Sandie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For on the edge of your seat suspense try John Lutz, this man spins a tale like you can't believe. I picked this book up and was caught in the web in the first sentance.
Lea
Nov 02, 2013 Lea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very suspenseful and a page turner. I read this a few years ago and would recommend that you are not walking alone at night after you read this. LOL It's really a chiller.
Luann
May 11, 2013 Luann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction, crime
I enjoyed this story, but there were a lot of players in this one - not unusual for Lutz - but it was hard to keep track at times. Was a little surprised by the ending - always a good thing.
Kicha
Kicha rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Christa
Christa rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Kathryn(sage)
Kathryn(sage) rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2010
Sue
May 30, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kobo, phone
good twists in story but beginning slow to get started
Ellyse H
Ellyse H rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Cabo
Cabo rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
May 29, 2014
hugh jones
hugh jones rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Henri Wrinkler
Henri Wrinkler rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Aa Bb
Aa Bb rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2010
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2011
  • Tiger
  • Orange as Marmalade (Biscuit McKee Mystery #1)
  • The Witches Of Enchanted Bay: Ax To Grind (Witches Of Enchanted Bay Cozy Mystery #2)
  • Hot Ticket (Hot Ticket Trilogy, #1)
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
  • Fatal Deception
  • Loving Lucy
  • Siren (Siren, #1)
  • The Heist
  • The Next to Die
  • The Unofficial Harry Potter Party Book: From Monster Books to Potions Class!: Crafts, Games, and Treats for the Ultimate Harry Potter Party

John Lutz published his first short story in 1966 in Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine and has been publishing regularly ever since. His work includes political suspense, private eye novels, urban suspense, humor, occult, crime caper, police procedural, espionage, historical, futuristic, amateur detective--v
More about John Lutz...

Night (6 books)
  • The Night Caller (Night #1)
  • The Night Watcher (Night #2)
  • Darker Than Night (Frank Quinn, #1)
  • Fear the Night (Night, #5)
  • Chill of Night (Night #6)