Start by marking “Fantastic Mr Fox” as Want to Read:

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  51,200 ratings  ·  1,885 reviews
Boggis, Bunce and Bean are the nastiest and meanest farmers you could meet - and they hate Mr Fox! They're determined to catch him and lie outside his hole, ready to shoot, starve or dig him out. Clever Mr Fox has other plans and manages to outwit the nasty farmers.
Published August 1st 2009 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published 1970)

karen
greg's birthday is today, so i am floating this now to remind you that you still have time to shower him with presents!

it is greg's birthday!!! and as a treat for him, i am going to create a book review in which i use plenty of pictures of foxes!!! they are his favorite!!

first, a sleepy fox:

smiling fox:

stretchy fox:

sharp-nailed fox:
Patrick
My impressions in a single word: Meh.

I recently read this to my little boy, and I have to admit I really didn't care for it.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a *terrible* book. There's nothing hideously wrong with it. (See my review of Esio Trot, if you want to see me go off on a Dahl book I hated.)

But there wasn't much right with it either. The simple fact was Mr. Fox was not, in fact, very fantastic.

The plot centers around some farmers that try to kill Mr. Fox. They try to dig him out of his ho
Afshar
این کتاب را برای آشنایی با دنیای کتابهای کودکان امروزی خواندم
رولد دال نویسنده محبوبی است ولی گاهی نمیتوانستم جلوی خودمو بگیرم و ایشان را با هانس کریستن آندرسن نویسنده محبوب دوران کودکی ام مقایسه نکنم
راستش از زمین تا آسمان فرق می کنند
شاید داستان های آندرسن مختص کودکان نباشد چون همین الان هم از خواندن قصه هایش لذت میبرم
؛)
کدام قصه را یارای برابری با جوجه اردک زشت و لباس نو امپراطور و ...است
البته در مورد لباس نو امپراطور می گویند که دزدی ادبی از مندیل خیال شیخ بهایی میباشد
خدایی خیلی شبیه هم هستند
Greg
Mr. Fox steals food nightly from one of the three disgusting and gluttonous farmers who have more then they need. The farmers get mad and set out to kill Mr. Fox. They have a hard time catching him, they destroy the earth trying to get him out of his hole, they waste many man-hours by making their workers surround the woods with weapons and ultimately Mr. Fox with the help of other underground animals find another way into the farms and go about their stealing in peace while the farmers sit endl ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a short blogpost taken from Thoughts on Roald Dahl: The BFG, The Witches & Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I wasn't sure why, but Fantastic Mr. Fox felt the most festive to me, so I thought it'd be appropriate as my sixth Roald Dahl read. Now that I've read it, it's a little festive (gathering together with friends for a celebratory meal), but it's most likely because the film adaptation seems to always be on around Christmas – and now I cannot wait to watch it. Fantastic Mr. Fox is a charming, qu
Cait Grace
I assume you're supposed to read these when you're...eight? Or ten? BUT WHATEVER. I read all of the Roald Dahl books when I was 14-15 and this is the only one I could never find. So now I have consumed it and I feel like my life is very complete with Roald Dahlness.

(Plus I had seen the movie years ago. There is a lot more in the movie than in the book. I definitely saw Mr. Fox as George Clooney though. Just sayin'.)
description

Aaaanyway. This is not my favourite Roald Dahl book (I'll always pick Matilda or
Ferdy
Loved it, mostly because of the nostalgia but even with that it was still a really fun read.
Karla
Even though Roald Dahl is one of my absolute favorite childhood authors, there are some titles that I've never read. This was one was absolutely fantastic. Sure, it promotes stealing, but only from bad guys. Like another review notes, so does Robin Hood.

But what I thought was illustrated so vividly here is that the three nasty farmers become obsessed with killing Mr. Fox for stealing their poultry, losing all perspective and sense of proportion. So much so that they take steam shovels to an enti
Salymar
― Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox

This short story reminded me of the The Three little pigs. The three little pigs here in the story are the farmers except that they are dumber, clumsier and stinkier. haha!
Chaymâa
While I was reading Fantastic Mr. Fox, I had in mind three colorful bubbles (yes, sometimes I like to tease my ideas):

1. Roald Dahl is amazing.
2. Mr. Fox is indeed Fantastic!
3. And this stupid yet hilarious song:

Seriously Chaymâa?!

Well, as Roald Dahl said in this book :

Marcus
Read it in one day to my four year old. He was fascinated and wide eyed the entire time. Then, at dinner he called his juice "strong cider" and talked about how it made his mouth and belly burn :).
Daniel Clausen
I've always been a fan of Roald Dahl books. As an ESL teacher I've had the pleasure of using his books as teaching instruments as well. In the heady days of my graduate program I find myself often turning to kids books for relief. First, there was my favorite, Where the Wild Things Are--which I am happy to say I have copies of in both Japanese and English. Then, there was Maniac Magree. This one was perhaps my favorite because I WAS Maniac Magee growing up. There are others I would like to retur ...more
Dana Salman
It was fine. I say 'fine' because it's an awful lot of discription on such a trivial thing. Nothing much happened in the story. It's only mostly all about the foxes breaking into one storage after another and stealing food. What else is there to talk about after that, though? It's not much of a story, not one I would go out of my way to read, though I have read it multiple times when I get hungry because that cider stuff sounds SWEET. But when you think about it, if Roald Dahl had said to himsel ...more
Megan
I love Roald Dahl and tore through his books as a kid, but somehow I missed this one. I saw the previews for the movie, and was completely confused because I'd never heard of this book. As soon as I opened it up I recognized that familiar art style (Quentin Blake, you're the man), and the familiar sort of world that Dahl draws into his books.

This story is very simple. Three farmers have grown weary of the fox who preys upon their livelihoods, and decide to trap him in his burrow until he comes o
Liam Leftley
Fantastic Mr Fox exhibits the very best of Roald Dahl as we see Mr Fox battle against the three mean farmers: Boggis, Bunce and Bean. Initially Mr. Fox has no problem in taking poultry from the farms to feed his family; however, Boggis, Bunce and Bean soon develop a plan that’ll end their fox problem once and for all.

The evil trio plan to dig Mr Fox out of his home and soon recruit all their staff to their mission. However, not to be outdone, the canine simply tunnels underground to each of the
Saadia Munshi
Fantastic Mr Fox- Roald Dahl

The book centres around Mr Fox, who steals food from three farmers (Boggis, Bunce and Bean) in order to provide for his wife and 4 children. The 3 farmers soon get fed up of Mr Fox and decide to catch him by leaving the farm and camp outside the fox hole. one night Mr fox decides to go and steal some duck from bunce, however as he begins his journey he gets shot in the tail by the farmers.

By this time the farmers are upset as they failed to catch Mr Fox and so bean (
Steve
My cousin gave my son this book, saying it was given to him as a child and that he really liked it, and thus inter-generational sharing of the literary tradition is shared.

I read this book to my sons over the weekend and finished it last night. Quite a joyous book. First he establishes the characters, then presents a challenge, and then Mr. Fox becomes fantastic by his ideas, and is feted by all. It's a book about mean farmers, exploiters and murderers, and wildlife.

I was absolutely thrilled to
Sara Williams
What a great disappointment Fantastic Mr. Fox was. I am a great fan of Roald Dahl and devoured his Chocolate Factory adventures and held Matilda very dear to me, but Fantastic Mr. Fox did absolutely nothing for me. Surely, it is a children's book but so were all the previous I mentioned and those caused a great impression on me.
Fantastic Mr. Fox is awfully simple, following a basic structure that repeats itself as many as 3 times. It is still a lovely story about how these 3 mean bastards try t
Petra

"Boggis and Bunce and Bean

So different in looks

Were none the less equally mean."

This tiny book is one of the famous children's classics. It was very enjoyable and clever read!

I've read many reviews and noticed that some people weren't happy that the book is so naturalistic, like for example when Mr. Fox eats chicken. This is actually what I really like about the story. I think children are often underesti
Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake

Fantastic Mr Fox, written by Roald Dahl, tells the story of a country Fox and his family. Their peace and lives are shattered by three farmers that live near-by, who become increasingly outraged and obsessed about the foxes stealing food. The farmers’ determination leads to more and more extreme measures to kill Mr Fox and his family. The story ends happily with Mr Fox managing to outsmart the farmers and living happily after.
The st
Karatepop
Read by Chris O'Dowd. He always sounds like he's about to give you the punchline. His Scottish Badger is pretty funny. Good fun!
Ciaran
Fantastic Mr Fox written by Roald Dahl and was illustrated by Quentin Blake. Although the book was published in 1970 Fantastic Mr Fox has not faded into the background and remains a must read for children. Recently the novel has been adapted into a Hollywood movie and featured the voice of George Clooney and Meryl Streep, this has added to the success of a truly great novel that is Fantastic Mr Fox.
The book is about a fox named Mr Fox who lives in a burrowed hole underneath a tree with his wife
Stef
Great and FUN story - but I would recommend talking with your kids about it too!

I *LOVED* this book as a kid and re-read it as an adult to preview it for my niece and nephew. I was a little surprised about the story I remembered and the story that *is*. It's honestly brutal about farm life (shooting the foxes) and fantastical all in the same breath - which is fun. The three human characters are almost exact caricatures of alcoholism, gluttony, etc.

Mr. Fox definitely isn't a role model in his st
Ed Fincham
Roald Dahl’s Fantastic Mr Fox is an excellent introduction to Dahl’s work, a fast paced, humorous, and well illustrated piece of writing, which at present fits into early KS2 schemes of work.

Fantastic Mr Fox is set around a tripartite of farms and farmers, Boggis, Bunce, and Bean and their respective, chicken, duck and goose, and turkey and apple farms. The farmers whose names bear some onomatopoeic relationship to their physical characteristics, are presented as evil, both in characteristics,
Matt Linzey
I have always been a fan of Roald Dahl's books and found Fantastic Mr Fox (FMF) an excellent literacy focus while on placement in a Year 2 class. Over a two-week period we read through as a class and in ability groups the entirety of the story. As we completed chapters I would set work based on the story so far. Over the two-week period the children were introduced to the concept of writing a story, using FMF as a structure to follow. The story is essentially a 'good vs evil' tale that introduce ...more
Chris
I bought this book for two reasons:
1. I'd just seen a preview for the movie and thought it looked pretty funny and I liked the animation style
2. I've enjoyed the Roald Dahl books I've read previously

With regards to the movie influence, I haven't yet seen the movie. Based on the reviews I've read, it sounds like a fun little film but definitely a bit different than the book. Eventually I'd like to watch it.

As to the book itself, it was a very quick read overall although we did read it over the
Jessica
Mr. Fox and his family live near three farms owned by three vile, disgusting, and cruel farmers.

Boggis and Bunce and Bean
So different in looks
Were nonetheless equally mean.

Mr. Fox goes out every evening and fetches his family’s dinner from one of the three farmers. The corrupt and aggitated farmers determine to cease everything until they’ve killed Mr. Fox. Sly (or should I say fantastic?) Mr. Fox, though, with the help of Mrs. Fox, his four Smal
Sinead Mccormick

Roald Dahl

As much as I enjoyed all of Roald Dahl’s books I feel a certain loyalty to Fantastic Mr Fox as it was the first of Dahl’s books that I read. A common trait throughout Dahl’s work is that of a simple story with an underlying message. This trait is clearly evident in Fantastic Mr Fox.

Dahl manages to portray the typically elusive character of a fox as the hero of this story, describing him as a family man that will go to any length to look after his wife and children. He k
Mery
Boggis and Bunce and Bean
So different in looks
Were nonetheless equally mean.

This book was okay. But don't you try to give this book to your under 10 age sisters/brothers. Because this book have many moralists problems. The lead character Mr. Fox, stealing foods from the farmers before they ever tried to kill him and his family. I know he did those things for survive. But still I can't stand with him and what he did.
And must we talk of Mr. Fox tea
Shaun

This is a fun little story about a fox who outsmarts three mean, grumpy farmers. My oldest son seems to feel it deserves more than 3.5 stars, but I'm not so sure as it doesn't quite measure up to some of Dahl's other 5 star reads like James and the Giant Peach or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It certainly gives new meaning to the phrase outfoxed. In addition, Boggis, Bunce, and Bean are priceless and the kind of absurd characters that makes his stories so memorable.

Like many of Dah
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 1- Fantastic Mr. Fox 1 6 Sep 06, 2014 01:22PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book review 3 - Fantastic Mr Fox 1 7 Sep 04, 2014 04:39AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Fantastic Mr Fox 1 6 Aug 19, 2014 12:35PM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Review 4 1 4 Aug 15, 2014 08:18AM
i dont get it 23 226 Oct 19, 2013 12:10PM
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • Elmer and the Dragon (My Father's Dragon, #2)
  • The Fox Cub Bold (Farthing Wood, #4)
  • Abel's Island
  • The Rotten Romans
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree (The Faraway Tree, #3)
  • The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck
  • Emily's Runaway Imagination
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Little Foxes
  • Dustbin Baby
  • Jenny and the Cat Club: A Collection of Favorite Stories about Jenny Linsky
  • Scrambled Eggs Super!
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) Matilda James and the Giant Peach The BFG The Witches

“I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.” 578 likes
“Badger: The cuss you are.
Mr. Fox: The cuss am I? Are you cussing with me?”
48 likes