Start by marking “Always to Remember” as Want to Read:
Always to Remember

Always to Remember

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,511 Ratings  ·  154 Reviews

Branded a traitor and imprisoned for refusing to fight for the Confederacy, Clayton Holland returns home to Cedar Grove, only to be spurned by the townspeople, except for vengeful Meg Warner, who finds her hatred and grief transformed by love.

Kindle Edition
Published October 19th 2010 by Harper Collins, Inc (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Always to Remember, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Always to Remember

Sophie ♥
Dec 29, 2013 Sophie ♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical romance readers, particularly Lorraine Heath fans
Rate: 5 BRIGHT AND SHINY STARS

Lorraine Heath just blew me away with this book! I never would have imagined I'd enjoy this one so much since it's one of her earlier books and not as acclaimed as the Texas Trilogy and her newer books. But from the very beginning this book had me connecting emotionally with the characters and the story.

After refusing to fight for the Confederacy, Clayton was spurned by everyone in his hometown of Cedar Grove. To Meg, who lost her husband and brothers in the war, C
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Holy shit, this book.

I loved this. It wasn't quite my idea of perfection, mind, so four stars instead of five, but it is really quite good. The reader is absolutely disgusted by Meg from the beginning, but that's purposeful. Clay is...wow. Clay. What can I say about Clay? He's a man who withstood imprisonment and torture (physical and psychological) because he refused to dishonor his beliefs. Conscientious objectors have always been castigated in society as cowards because most people don't gra
Julianna
Apr 06, 2009 Julianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Sweet Historical Romance
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

After finishing Always to Remember, I was left with a sense of almost sheer perfection. This unique book is far more than a mere romance. It is a morality tale of a man making a stand for what he believes, and facing the scorn of an entire town because of it. This story asks and in my opinion, answers quite well the difficult question, “What truly constitutes courage?” It is about love and hate. It is about true friendship. It is about loyalty to one's convictions.
Julie
Always to Remember by Lorraine Heath is a 2010 Harper publication.

This retro-romance novel was originally published in 1997 by Jove.

Set in Texas, post-civil war, the story centers around a young widow, Meg Warner and Clay Holland, a man who refused to join sides in the war or fight in it.

Meg’s husband and brothers were killed in the war, and Clay was held prisoner for being a dissenter. He should have been executed for his beliefs, but his life was spared. Returning home to his younger twin b
Beanbag Love
May 14, 2013 Beanbag Love rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the last of my Lorraine Heath Texas story backlist and it was a very good read. A strong 4.5, I'd say.

For a romance novel it's very thought provoking. I might have been bothered by the heroine, but Heath humanized her and invited empathy. I had to wonder how I would feel in the same circumstances, knowing only the little she could know. The story touches heavily on the irrationality of grief and the variety of ways that people can show courage. I thought about it long after I turned the
Misfit
Feb 04, 2012 Misfit rated it really liked it
Shelves: virgin-hero
"I will not take up arms against my fellow man."

"I didn’t believe we should fight the Northern states, and yet, I could not in all good conscience take up arms against the South, my home, and my friends. But more than that, I would not fight because I believe it’s a sin against God to kill another man."

When Texas joined with the rest of the Confederate states, all the young men of Cedar Grove were ready and willing to join the glorious cause. All that is, except for Clayton Holland, who refuse
Ally
Mar 06, 2016 Ally rated it it was amazing
This is one of those "Did that really just happen?" moments

Lorraine Heath, where have you been all my life? Have I been living under a rock? I mean, I've read a few of your books - When the Duke Was Wicked chief among them. But in truth, I haven't much recall. Kinda like one regency flowing in to another, if you know what I mean.

But man alive, your Texas books. Hoooeeee (does that sound particularly Texified?). These books are straight up killers. I'm in love with your Texas heroes. There I sai
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Keri
May 09, 2016 Keri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am going to try and do justice about how much a I loved this book. I knew going in with the synopsis on the back that this was going to be a tough book to read. It was, but it was also beautiful as well as painful. I read the entire thing in one sitting and had a big piece of glass in my throat for most of it and tears welling up more than once. Clay didn't want to fight for the Confederacy and he didn't believe in slavery, but he did whole-heartedly support his fellow man. He just didn't want ...more
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
Buddy read with lovely ladies and friends Ally Georgie and Mariana.
Dawn
5 stars hands down.

First let me clarify that this book is 336 pages, NOT 100 pages as is noted on both GR and Amazon. I did email Amazon to make them aware of this error.

A summary of the story:

The period is just after the Civil War, and takes place in a small Texas town. The hero (Clay) is shunned by all, branded a coward who refused to fight in the war. His choice was a moral one, because he refused to kill people for his beliefs.

When the towns men depart for war, Clay is taken by the army and
Readdiction
I wish I could give justice to how perfect this story is. I cried and I laughed and when the story came to an end, I refused to let go of the characters who became so real to me.
Clayton suffers from the town's scorn; he's labeled as a deserter because he refused to fight when all the able men left for war. It is awesome to see how strong he is in braving every insult and how courageous of him to maintain his eloquent silence. He is one of the most memorable and strongest heroes I have ever read.
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star, western
Clay Holland is a passivist. Refusing to fight in the Civil War, he was branded a deserter, literally, and was beaten, starved, and imprisoned. He's now returned home to his 3 brothers and a town which dispises him. Meg Warner, his friend's widow, is one of the people who despises him most. She hates the fact that her husband was killed in the same war that Clay refused to fight in and enlists his help to carve a memorial for the fallen soldiers. She hopes to elicit guilt, remorse, and feelings ...more
Linds
This romance is really sweet and beautiful.

Clay is a different type of romantic hero, and you just fall in love with him. He's shy, quiet, thoughtful, and intense.

Clay wouldn't go off to fight in the Civil War because he was against slavery and he wouldn't kill anybody else. He was imprisoned and tortured but wouldn't give in to what he believed in.

When he gets back to his small Texas town he is shunned by everyone in the town save his little brothers. Everybody hates him and brands him a cowar
Monika
5 courage stars

“Within the shadows of honor, courage often walks in silence.”

I couldn't put the right words to describe how deeply I was touched by this book.
This is one of the best book I ever read.
What is coward and what is courage?
It took a great man to stand and fight for what he believes.
Clayton Holland is one of the bravest silent hero. He's not usual but he's so special.
sraxe
I completely loved it (mostly). Clay is such a treasure and his twin brothers are a pair of gems, too. Even with the townspeople being just really crap people overall (I felt especially resentful towards Kirk's father near the end considering his son having been best friends with Clay) and not at all deserving of Clay's presence, I think the book deserves a reading if only because of Clay and the interactions between the twins and anyone and everyone else.

I was ready to give this book five stars
❆ Crystal ❆
4.5 tearful stars. I'm not sure I've ever cried so much reading a book. It was a bleeding heart story for sure. I'm glad I read it... Clay was so wonderful... he was such a great character. He came alive for me in this book and I'll remember him always.
TJ
May 05, 2015 TJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautifully touching, poignantly written story! It is both heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. And, it accomplished this without huge theatrics. It is, instead a quiet, elegantly crafted book the deepens the emotion and tears at the heartstrings by showing honor amidst every day life and against the worst of prejudice and revenge.
Leea
Feb 01, 2012 Leea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should probably give this book 5 stars but it exhausted me too much. I have never seen a female lead that i've hated more than Meg. Her hatred and want for revenge against Clay was almost too much to read at times. Always to Remember is painful, beautiful and heartbreaking. Heath has a way with words.
SuperWendy
Oct 09, 2014 SuperWendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Emotional, heartfelt, a real gut-puncher. It took me on a roller coaster in the best possible way.
Linda
Maqluba
It was missing that IT factor for me. I felt like I was all pro-hero but I didn't understand the heroine most of the time. I thought we missed a lot of her emotional changes from hating to liking the hero-- the change was too severe for me. I feel like we were told rather than shown a lot of the emotional stuff and we missed out on a lot of background things. It's hard to explain but I just had to say it... I'm really disappointed because I've really enjoyed Sweet Lullaby and I thought we might ...more
Feminista
10+ stars.

This story is a must read historical romance. So beautiful. This book has left me with a sweet ache, wishing fervently that fiction could come to life, just once.
Urhomwen
This is a book about a man who refuses to fight in the civil war because of personal convictions and as a consequence, suffers imprisonment and ostracism.

Though there were a number of things about this book that did not add up, the biggest issue was all the time the reader has to spend with the heroine's thoughts. She was devious, vindictive and totally unsympathetic. Her initial interactions with the hero showed such spitefulness that when she (inexplicably) changed, it was simply too little, t
Julie
A lot of people raved about his book, but I thought it was just okay. It's very similar to another book I just read (Joe's Wife) in which it's post Civil War. Clay refused to carry a gun and kill in the war and he is labeled a coward and goes through all sorts of torture and indignity, but always kept to his cause. He returns to his home town of Cedar Grove, TX and everyone loathes him, particularly Meg (another Meg!) Warner, who is the widow of Clay's best friend, Kirk.

For reasons I found hard
Kylie
This was the second novel I've read by Lorraine Heath, and so far she's 2-0 in my playbook. It's irritating reading romances by the same author in quick succession because the similarities between books detract from the story. All you see is the repetition of the same characters and plot-lines. In these there were similarities, but Always to Remember was every bit as unique and refreshing as Sweet Lullaby. Jake and Clayton are both beta-heroes, but each with his own fully developed personality a ...more
Jessa ♥dhanger♥ EvilDarkSide
"Within the shadows of honor, courage often walks in silence."

This was so much more than just a fluffy romance novel....it was a story of one man who withstood hate, despair, loneliness and much more to stand up for what he believed in. Clayton never gave in and he never gave up. He stood by his beliefs even when it cost him the love of his family and friends. His scars run much deeper than what we see on the surface and his courage made him a hero even when no one else could see past their hatr
Jennifer (FFT Reviews)
An American historical that is set in the post-Civil War south. Clayton Holland was imprisoned during the war for refusing to fight for the Confederacy and must deal with his hometown's scorn upon his return. While there is a romance that is focused on, I found this story to be so much more. Clayton's treatment and how he deals with it is a true test of character. The concept of courage and what make someone courageous is primary in this book. It is a tearjerker, but worth the sadness when it co ...more
Fiona Marsden
Jun 14, 2014 Fiona Marsden rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Clay, a sculptor and a conscientious objector from the American Civil war. 22 of his friends didn't come home from the war and the townsfolk resent the fact that he survived. From the moment he refused to hold a rifle, he was vilified and despised as a coward and deserter.

The heroine, Meg, lost three brothers and her husband to the war. Texans all, they fought for the South, marching off almost joyfully to face the foe. Clay's existence is a constant affront and a reminder t
Cecilia
Clay Holland is an hero who deserves five stars and more. A great beta hero, sure in his convictions and ready to die (or at least, suffer greatly) for them, because he was a conscentious objector and didn't want to kill other people. He possessed a quiet strenght and a true depth, and he may easily enter in a list of favourite romance heroes.

Unfortunately, the rest of the book didn't live up to its hero. The romance premise (the heroine asking the hero to carve a monument) is ludicrous at best.
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Sing My Name
  • Allie's Moon
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • A Hearing Heart
  • Wild at Heart
  • Conor's Way
  • The Outsider
  • The Rainbow Season (Turner's Rainbows Saga, #1)
  • Morning Glory
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • A Reason to Live (Forrester Brothers, #1)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during
More about Lorraine Heath...

“Within the shadows of honor, courage often walks in silence.

-Engraved on the monument Clay built”
14 likes
“If he wasn't angry, he certainly did a good imitation. His voice was clipped and as hard as stone. She wrung her hands together. "I love you. Clay."
"No, you don't."
Meg felt as though he'd just slapped her. "Yes, I do. When you leave this town, I'll go with you."
Narrowing his eyes, he studied her. "Will you marry me?"
"Yes."
"Will you give me children?"
"If I can. Kirk and I were never able to conceive, but if I can have children, I want to have yours."
"In this town that we move to, wherever it is, will you walk down the street with me?"
"Of course."
"Holding my hand?"
"Yes."
"And the hands of my children?"
"Yes."
He unfolded his arms and took a step toward her. She wanted to fling herself into his embrace, but something hard in his eyes stopped her.
"And what happens, Mrs. Warner, when someone you know rides through town and points at me and calls me a yellow-bellied coward? What will you do then? Will you let go of my hand and take my children to the other side of the street? Will you pretend that you haven't kissed me, that you haven't lain with me beneath the stars?" With disgust marring his features, he turned away. "You think I'm a coward. Go home."
"I don't think that. I love you."
He spun around. "You don't believe in that love, you don't believe in me."
"Yes, I do."
He stalked toward her. She backed into the corner and bent her head to meet his infuriated gaze.
"How strongly do you believe in our love?" he asked, his voice ominously low. "If they threatened to strip off your clothes unless you denied our love, would you deny our love?"
He gave her no chance to respond, but continued on, his voice growing deeper and more ragged, as though he were dredging up events from the past.
"If they wouldn't let you sleep until you denied our love, would you deny our love so you could lay your head on a pillow?
"If they stabbed a bayonet into your backside every time your eyes drifted closed, would you deny our love so your flesh wouldn't be pierced?
"If they applied a hot brand to your flesh until you screamed in agony, would you deny our love so they'd take away the iron?
"If they placed you before a firing squad, would you say you didn't love me so they wouldn't shoot you?"
He stepped back and plowed his hands through his hair. "You think I'm a coward. You don't think I have the courage to stand beside you and risk the anger of your father. I'd die before I turned away from anyone or anything I believed in. You won't even walk by my side."
He looked the way she imagined soldiers who had lost a battle probably looked: weary, tired of the fight, disillusioned.
"You don't believe in me," he said quietly. "How can you believe in our love?”
13 likes