Start by marking “Evolving Health: The Origins of Illness and How the Modern World Is Making Us Sick” as Want to Read:

liked it 3.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  14 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews
Human illnesses can be understood as damage to those adaptations that we took on at various stages in our evolution from pre-life molecules to modern Homo sapiens. Preventing these illnesses entails avoiding what causes the damage-- which too frequently are the everyday hazards of twenty-first-century life, as the chart below shows:

Level of Evolution

Cause of adaptive fa
Published April 11th 2002 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about Evolving Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolving Health

Jodi
Mar 07, 2012 Jodi rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-books
I'm a very big supporter of the ideas behind evolutionary medicine, but this book was very poorly done and offered poor quality advice as well. There are far better books on this topic out there.

There is no depth to be had in this book, and much of the claims and content were dubious or plain wrong. At first the book seemed okay, then I thought it was okay except for a few wrong bits of information but by about halfway through I knew the book had far more poor information than good and was quite
AJ
Jan 02, 2011 AJ rated it liked it
I was excited to read this because I love the fields of evolutionary medicine and evolutionary biology. I was also really intrigued by the first section of the book that laid out 17 milestones of evolution and claimed that every human malady could be traced back to one of those 17 levels - from unicellular creatures to modern society.

However, once the book got underway it turned out to be more about modern health than about how and why we develop certain diseases. Extensive space was devoted to
Jackie
Feb 25, 2011 Jackie rated it liked it
Shelves: science
I was excited to read a book about evolutionary medicine but at times I questioned the source material. It would have helped if the material didn't come across as an opinion so much. While, I did learn a lot, I found the book, "Your Inner Fish" to be far more informative.
Luke Bell
Luke Bell marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Taylore
Taylore marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Susan Rudd
Susan Rudd marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Parham
Parham marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Gary Wilson
Gary Wilson rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Kauz
Kauz marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Mikiko
Mikiko marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2012
Persephone
Persephone marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2012
Jennifer Olsen
Jennifer Olsen rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2012
Shana
Shana rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
Pio
Pio rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Chace
Chace marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2011
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2011
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2011
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2011
Amie M
Amie M marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2011
Bill
Bill rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2011
jaron
jaron marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2010
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2010
Kaitlyn Schadler
Kaitlyn Schadler marked it as to-read
May 17, 2009
Nola
Nola marked it as to-read
May 08, 2009