Start by marking “Pan Tadeusz” as Want to Read:
Pan Tadeusz

Pan Tadeusz

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,231 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Translated by Kenneth R MacKenzie, Pan Tadeusz is an epic tale of country life among the Polish and Lithuanian gentry in the years 1811 and 1812. It is a poem of the love of country, to which all people belong.
Published January 1st 1992 by Hippocrene Books (first published 1834)

To ask other readers questions about Pan Tadeusz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pan Tadeusz

Lalka by Bolesław PrusFerdydurke by Witold GombrowiczKrew elfów by Andrzej SapkowskiSolaris by Stanisław LemKamienie na szaniec by Aleksander Kamiński
Best Polish Books
12th out of 406 books — 377 voters
The Street of Crocodiles by Bruno SchulzLalka by Bolesław PrusFerdydurke by Witold GombrowiczQuo Vadis by Henryk SienkiewiczPan Tadeusz by Adam Mickiewicz
Best Polish Literature
5th out of 81 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

DROPPING OUT
Jun 02, 2010 DROPPING OUT rated it it was amazing
The work is without a doubt a masterpiece among the great books of world literature. That said, I can understand how generations of Polish schoolchildren have rankled at having it crammed down their throats.

I read this edition in tandem with the MacKenzie translation. Each has its advantage. The Weyland attempts to match the meter of the Polish original, but is monolingual. The MacKenzie is in the all-too-familiar iambic pentameter, but has the Polish original on facing pages.

While my knowledge
Caroline
Pan Tadeusz, Or, The Last Foray in Lithuania; A tale of the Gentry in the Years 1811 and 1812

by Adam Mickiewicz, translated by Kenneth MacKenzie

To think of such things in a Paris Street,
Where on my ears the city’s noises beat
With lies and curses, and with plans ill-fate,
And fiendish quarrels and regrets belated!

Alas for us who fled in time of pest
And, timid souls, took refuge in the west! …

I longed to fly, a bird of feeble flight,
Beyond the thunder and the stormy zone,
And seek the sunshine and t
Bruce
Oct 12, 2013 Bruce rated it really liked it
Mickiewicz, who lived from 1798-1855, is widely considered the Polish national poet, and this present work is considered the Polish national epic. Mickiewicz was born in the Russian region of the Lithuanian part of the Polish-Lithuanian Confederation and lived during a time of constant political turmoil with recurrent changes in national boundaries. Ultimately Poland was divided up among Prussia, Austria, and Russia, and Mickiewicz spent much of his life as an exiled political activist, befriend ...more
D.W.
Jan 18, 2010 D.W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adam Mickiewicz was one of the greatest polish writers. This book shows exactly why he is considered to be so excellent. It contains the view on polish patriotism and the unity, which exists in this country in its darkest days. Intelligence in the plot, which leads to the freedom and the beauty of the polish hearts is perfectly shown in this book.
Czarny Pies
May 22, 2016 Czarny Pies rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Canadians or Americans with Polish friends
Recommended to Czarny by: My polish wife
Shelves: polish-lit
Pan Tadeusz is the great national epic of Polish literature and rallying standard Polish independence. It is very important that American and Canadian book lovers read it because it will greatly please any friends they have who have completed their high school education in Poland. Pan Tadeusz has been taught in Polish secondary schools for almost 100 years and thus is well known to all Poles. By reading it you will gain a point of entry into Polish literature that your friends will be able to us ...more
Anna
May 12, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
I have to read it every few years again adn again. I have to try in English just for fun.
DROPPING OUT
Jun 02, 2010 DROPPING OUT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While my knowledge
Lukasz Wertel
Jun 13, 2011 Lukasz Wertel rated it really liked it
This is one of the better books I read in a while. It has moments of action, like battles, but also manages to describe the local culture. It shows what the people eat, how they dress, what they do in spare time, etc. This book is written beautifully, and I have to admire the author's ability to make this story a poem. And not just any poem, my favorite kind of a poem. The kind where a line actually rhymes with the next one. The way it's written is great, and the only reason I do not give it 5 s ...more
Alyona
Aug 05, 2015 Alyona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Пан Тадэвуш" прасякнуты тугой Міцкевіча па Радзіме, настальгіяй по шчасліваму часу, які ён пражыў на зямлі паміж Навагрудкам і Вільняй. З вялікай любоўю ў паэме апісаны мясцовыя звычаі і краявіды: як варылі каву, чым частвалі гасцей, як кахаліся і сварыліся, як святкавалі заручыны, што апраналі, як палявалі і вабілі вольны час. Цікава дазнацца, як жылі нашыя продкі 200 год таму, і журботна, што ўсё гэта страчана.

Чаму паэма носіць імя менавіта Тадэвуша? Мабыць, таму, што гэты юнак - увасабленне
Wanda
Dec 23, 2008 Wanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Polish epic poetry... there's nothing quite like it.
Maciej Wojciech Markisz
"Pan Tadeusz - my, naród. Walka, kłótnie i przebaczenie."

Książka napisana określonym językiem, bardzo dawno, więc zrozumiała jest pewna nieprzystępność masowa, a także utrudnienia w czytaniu przez rzesze, szczególnie młodych czytelników.
I język ten nie pozwala śmiać się w wielu przypadkach młodzieży, podziwiać i uśmiechać się, bo ciężko im przez tę rzecz przebrnąć.
W "Panu Tadeuszu" widać rękę nie tylko pisarza ale i poety oraz publicysty politycznego. Książka mająca fabułę, akcję, parę pomysłów
Tombraiderka009
Jan 06, 2015 Tombraiderka009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: my-wonders
Jestem z siebie bardzo dumna, że przeczytałam taki klasyk polskiej literatury. "Pan Tadeusz" nie jest porywającą lekturą, ale niektóre momenty były w miarę ciekawe. Bardzo podobała mi się Księga IX, w której był opis bitwy. Rozśmieszał mnie też czasem język, jakim mówili bohaterzy. Jak można powiedzieć o sobie, że chce się być sukinsynem.? :D
Chris Gould
Apr 06, 2012 Chris Gould rated it really liked it
How Mackenzie managed to translate this epic so that it rhymed will remain one of life's great imponderables. Telimena is a wonderful strong character who acts and looks much younger than her age. It's a wonderful snapshot of elite life at that time - the cultural gems that we learn about include black soup, mushroom picking, bear hunting, banquets and Jewish concerts.

I remember the first passage about yearning for one's homeland of Lithuania. And I remember especially the last-post-style solo
Klara
Sep 18, 2013 Klara rated it liked it
A liked this book very much, but I would have preferred not to have to read it at school. Our teacher told us to focus on the details and not on the story, because the questions would be on that. So when I was reading I was stressed I would not notice something, and so I reread nearly every line.
I'm sure it would have been a great pleasure if I would have read it for myself, without having to think that I'll have to answer the questions of a test about it...
I did like the story and the way it wa
Monique
I read this in the original language when I was younger... it was a very very difficult read and I'm fluent in the language. ugh, one thing I'm grateful for is that I didn't have to go through it in high school because I went to study abroad and was saved the hard time. As much as I enjoyed the plot and the characters, it was difficult for me to get real fast through the verses. Maybe my age at the time I read this also had something to do with my slowness, I was 11 back then.
Sophie
Dec 03, 2015 Sophie rated it did not like it
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES I'M FINISHED AND I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!
Dominik
Prosta i lekka historia, w której Mickiewicz wydobył z języka polskiego całe jego piękno. Najlepsze rzeczy od wieszcza, napisane bez spiny, demonizowane jedynie przez polskie szkolnictwo.
Berneen
Jul 30, 2008 Berneen rated it it was ok
Well, Mickiewicz is for sure the greatest polish poet, and this book is the best he has ever written...but I found it too long and too difficult....I think I'll try to read it again in a few years...when I'll be older...
Anna
Mar 18, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
Adam Mickiewicz is the greatest Polish poet and Pan Tadeusz is his greatest work, but it doesn't work on me. It's good, but nowdays is rather boring stuff.
Elysa
Feb 02, 2015 Elysa is currently reading it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
this is a classic... but I wasn't in the right place to get through it... will try again in a few years (:
Kuba Sieradzan
Zacząłem czytać, jednak nie skończyłem, także brak oceny.
Misia
Jan 10, 2009 Misia rated it it was amazing
The most famous Polish reading ever :)
Izabela
Jul 12, 2008 Izabela rated it it was amazing
This is a masterpiece!
Meryfelow
Mar 22, 2012 Meryfelow rated it really liked it
jup
Klaudia
Klaudia marked it as to-read
Kinga Cygan
Kinga Cygan rated it liked it
Magdalena
Magdalena rated it really liked it
Katarzyna Jastrzębska
Katarzyna Jastrzębska rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Justyna
Justyna rated it did not like it
Jun 29, 2016
A great example why books shouldn't be forced on anyone. 4 13 Nov 10, 2015 09:23AM
  • Zemsta
  • Balladyna
  • The Morality of Mrs. Dulska: A Play by Gabriela Zapolska
  • Lokomotywa
  • Inny świat
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
  • Awantura o Basię
  • Medaliony
209272
To a Pole, the name Adam Mickiewicz is emblematic of Polishness and greatness. What Homer is to the Greeks, or Shakespeare to the British, Mickiewicz is to the Poles. He is a cultural icon, a name inextricably connected with Polish literature and history, and one mentioned with pride. Mickiewicz stands out in the consciousness of Poles both as a man of letters and a political leader.

Despite his un
More about Adam Mickiewicz...

“Wstrzymując oddech, usty chwytał jej westchnienie.
I okiem łowił wszystkie jej wzroku promienie.”
9 likes