Start by marking “Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night (Henry and Mudge, #17)” as Want to Read:
Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night (Henry and Mudge, #17)

Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night (Henry and Mudge #17)

Henry and his dog Mudge go camping with Henry's parents in this seventeenth Ready-to-Read book of their adventures.

It's time for a camping trip with Henry's parents! They'll go on hikes and smell good smells. They'll see deer and raccoons and waterfalls and rainbows. Henry's mother will cook camp food and Henry's father will sing sappy old songs, and they'll all lie on the
Published May 1st 1999 by Simon Spotlight (first published April 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night

Aug 18, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
We're really enjoying the Henry and Mudge series. This was a level 2 reading book, and my 5 yr old is quickly becoming proficient at this level, a good portion due to Henry and Mudge. The stories about Henry and his dog Mudge are stories that young readers can relate to and find funny as well. Mudge's antics even make my preschoolers laugh. This book had a bio about the author and illustration in the back, with pictures of them and their dogs. My son was riveted and loved hearing about the peopl ...more
May 11, 2015 Chantelle rated it it was amazing
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series and were excited to find out what would happen as we started each one. Because my son was between 5-6 years old (he's an advanced reader) at the time, he easily identified with Henry and loved Mudge because (1) he desperately wanted a dog, and (2) Mudge's goofiness was endearing AND hilarious.

Read Aloud: Pre-K and Kindergarten
Introduces plot, character development, foreshadowing, and use of imagery.

Independent Reading: First or Seco
Sep 26, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Henry and Mudge make a terrific pair; after all, what friends could be closer than a boy and his dog? Though Henry lacks a brother or sister to sit beside in front of the crackling campfire after a trek into the wilderness, no sibling with whom he can whisper and giggle late into the night, sharing secrets and snacks and stories, Mudge is as solid, friendly and goofy a companion as he could want. When you're far from home, backpacking in the woods with only one of two parents knowing where they ...more
Jennifer Weiss
Henry and Mudge do many things together throughout the series. Henry is a young boy and Mudge is his dog. In this story Henry's family goes camping in the woods. Henry is very excited for the trip, he is anticipating seeing many animals, and is even apprehensive about running into a few unwanted animals. Once they got to "Big Bear Lake" Henry and Mudge went on a walk together, Henry saw many things in the woods, while Mudge did not. In this book, it gives some of Henry's perspectives and then so ...more
Cathy Smith
Aug 15, 2015 Cathy Smith rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads Giveaways. Henry and Mudge, what characters! Going camping, and no bears! They are so glad....the drawings are really well done, and the story is good for kids to understand and enjoy. It is great for kids to see that watching the stars and singing songs with adults can be fun. A great read for all.
Apr 02, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok
Although this book is part of a well-known and liked series, I was not thoroughly impressed by it. The story is somewhat repetitive which could be good for students wanting to open their knowledge in reading longer books, but I was not a huge fan.
Mar 30, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A cute story about a boy and his dog on a camping trip with his family. Reminds me of the many camping trips I have taken with my family. Fun and easy to read for new readers. My son really loves all the Henry and Mudge stories.
Bailee Sanders
This book was bearable. I can see how I could use it to teach about friendship and family time. It also could be used to introduce being outdoors or going camping.
This story is about Henry and mudge going camping together. This book would be good to give a student to read independently.
Meghan Jackson
Henry and Mudge books are great for students beginning to read. they build upon one another
Kristin B.
Reading Level: Grade 2
Interest Level: Grades K-2
Jun 17, 2014 Child960801 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Henry and Mudge go camping.
May 13, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: natalie, easy-readers
Natalie's favorite so far.
Jul 11, 2016 Nichole rated it really liked it
Jude Read.
Jul 31, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Sep 09, 2014 Nayely marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, pets
This is a great story about Henry and Mudge and Henry's parents going on a camping trip. A real camping trip, where you hike in with everything you need on your back and you are alone with nature, not in a marked camping area, with a shower and bathroom within a few yards. It was a fun story to read aloud and we talked about the constellations that were featured in the story. Good way to introduce stargazing.
Beginning Reader chapter book. Grades K-2. Themes - Families, camping trip. This is a cute story of Henry, his father, mother and dog Mudge on a camping trip. This book works well when working on comprehension skills such as drawing conclusions. It is also a good book to use when practicing reading skills such as; using picture clues, context clues, beginning sounds, and word chunks.
Feb 19, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
This book is one of many great books for beginning readers. There are many in a series about the infamous duo of Henry and Mudge. The books are in a range of different reading levels so they grow with the child as he/she gains confidence in reading.

This book pairs great with a readers theater script found online. Kids love it and it pairs great with the book. Great for reading fluency.
Nov 30, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: easy-reader
In this seventeenth book of their adventures, Henry and Mudge go camping with Henry's parents. They'll go on hikes and smell good smells. They'll see deer and raccoons and waterfalls and rainbows. Henry's mother will cook camp food and Henry's father will sing sappy old songs, and they'll all lie on their backs and look at the stars (except for Mudge -- he'll chew on a log
Jul 12, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I'm beginning to find some audio books for the beginning readers & found this by Cynthia Rylant who is always so good! This is a wonderful story about going camping. It's short, but manages to get all the good parts in: animals, hiking, backpacks, dogs sniffing, campfire cooking, cozy tent, and amazing stars at nighttime. It's good!
Andrea Thomas, Greenville
This book would go great with a nature study in science. It is a easy read for young students. You would be able to focus on the reading comprehension skill, compare and contrast. You can compare/contrast the things Mudge does on the camping trip to the things Henry does.
Feb 09, 2013 Alva rated it really liked it
My daughter Sarah is reviewing this book: I think it's a wonderful book and it has fluency words in it. I also think it's awesome and has good words to practice - like trick words. It's an interesting book.

My review - if my daughter likes reading it, it gets lots of stars :)
Tammy  King Carlton
Feb 08, 2008 Tammy King Carlton rated it it was amazing
Rebekah laughed outloud at the part where Mudge chews on the log, because that's all our Black Lab, Calvin, likes to do in our backyard - chew on sticks and logs. He has made an olympic sport of it. That, and we love to camp.
Rocheal Hoffman
Cynthia Rylant, good as always with her craft, writes an interesting serious about a boy and his dog. This one they go camping. Would be great for a spring-reading, encouraging kids to write their own camping adventure.
Jun 01, 2010 Shellee rated it liked it
Book is highlights the importance of family time. It is about a summer family camping trip which includes: hiking, animal watching, and star gazing. Makes me want to go camping.
Apr 26, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it
These are simple books that introduce kids to chapter books. My students love Henry and Mudge!
Anna Hutzky
Dec 08, 2008 Anna Hutzky rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was in second grade.
Mar 20, 2013 Tanya rated it really liked it
Love camping! So do they.
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Cat
  • Froggy Goes to Camp
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Lost Tooth (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #3)
  • P. J. Funnybunny Camps Out
  • Nate the Great and the Sticky Case
  • Do You Have a Hat?
  • Quirky, Jerky, Extra Perky: More about Adjectives
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Fairy Tales to Read Together
  • Where Is Home, Little Pip?
  • Dragon's Merry Christmas
  • My Light
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Henry and Mudge (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Henry and Mudge - The First Book (Henry and Mudge, #1)
  • Henry and Mudge in Puddle Trouble (Henry and Mudge, #2)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (Henry and Mudge, #4)
  • Henry and Mudge in the Sparkle Days (Henry and Mudge, #5)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Forever Sea (Henry and Mudge, #6)
  • Henry and Mudge Get the Cold Shivers (Henry and Mudge, #7)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Bedtime Thumps (Henry and Mudge, #9)
  • Henry and Mudge Take the Big Test (Henry and Mudge, #10)