Start by marking “1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die” as Want to Read:
1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die

1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  2,049 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
It's the phenomenon: 1,000 Places to See Before You Die has 2.2 million copies in print and has spent 144 weeks and counting on The New York Times bestseller list.

Now, shipping in time for the tens of millions of travelers heading out for summer trips, comes 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die. Sail the Maine Windjammers out of Camden. Explore th
Published June 7th 2007 by Workman Publishing Company (first published May 14th 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about 1,000 Places to See in the U.S.A. & Canada Before You Die

Bloodlines by Richelle MeadCrossed by Ally CondieAngelfire by Courtney Allison MoultonThe Iron Queen by Julie KagawaForever by Maggie Stiefvater
Book Expo 2011
95th out of 141 books — 171 voters
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by Peter Boxall1001 Paintings You Must See Before You Die by Stephen Farthing1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up by Julia Eccleshare1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die by Steven Jay SchneiderWIN THE HEART OF A WOMAN OF YOUR DREAMS by Sahara Sanders
A List of Lists
28th out of 247 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Apr 30, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel-books
I never leave for a vacation without this book!! I love to travel and often wonder if I am truly hitting the most important landmarks when touring cities and towns. This book gives me a guideline to follow so that I know I am hitting some of the most important places. I love that the book gives suggested restaurants and places to stay as well as important festivals and historical sites. I also love that there is background information for each location as well as historical information and addre ...more
Jeni Enjaian
For someone who loves to travel this is a must have. The descriptions of each place were well done and wide ranging. The only criticism I have is that the author often designates things such as "historic hotels" or "restaurants" for a certain city. I would rather landmarks be pointed out and hotels and restaurants (unless they are themselves a landmark like the Oyster House in Boston) for other guides like Frommer's or Lonely Planets. Maybe that way Ms. Shultz would have had room for a landmark ...more
Heidi
Dec 05, 2011 Heidi rated it it was amazing
I love these books because it inspires we to travel to all these different locations with my tiny family. If you are planning a family vacation you should read this book.
Steven Peterson
Oct 26, 2009 Steven Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun book. The reader can build vacations around it. The work is based on the philosophy that (page x):

". . .travel has always been based on removing myself from what is comfortable and safe, on seeking out experiences that broaden my horizons and enrich me in ways superficial and profound."

The author also notes that she (page xiii) ". . .discovered time and again the country that is my home."

I'm from Illinois originally, so I immediately looked at the sites in the Prairie State. Man
Lacy Cox
Lacy Cox
APA Citation: Schultz, P. (2011). 1,000 Places to See in the United States and Canada before you die (Updated ed.). New York, NY: Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
Call Number: Ref 402.03 Sch
Reference: Encyclopedia
Relevance & Relationship: This is one of the only travel books available in the reference collection. This book could be used in geography classes, marketing classes, and advertising classes. This is most relevant travel wise to students because most will not be able to expl
Alex Telander
Sep 16, 2010 Alex Telander rated it really liked it
1000 PLACES TO SEE IN THE USA AND CANADA BEFORE YOU DIE BY PATRICIA SCHULTZ: When travel writer Patricia Schultz published 1000 Places to See Before You Die on May 22nd, 2003, she expected the book to do relatively well like her other travel writings. She has written for Frommer’s, Berlitz, and Access travel guides, and has published articles in Condé Nast Traveler, Islands, and Harper’s Bazaar: a fairly accomplished travel writer in her field. This was the general idea for bookstores also: 1000 ...more
Rebecca
Aug 17, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
I only read the Prince Edward Island part of this 1100+ page book, but it included this site: http://www.visitcharlottetown.com/ Site copyright 2002, still lists events for 2007. Book was published in 2011. Boo. Several other sites were not current, but readers are encouraged to report errors on the web site.

Other than that, I like the concept of this book and would peruse it before going somewhere new, or when looking for something unusual to see nearby. As the opening quote says, "The whole o
Kim
Sep 05, 2014 Kim rated it did not like it
Basically this is her list of places she most likes of the places she's visited (I think!). Not overly impressed with this book (as a Kindle edition) and not the book I would take on a trip. Does have some beautiful pictures and her energy and enthusiasm are contagious.
Keri
May 05, 2016 Keri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.

My family has always been a family that likes to travel, especially to places no one else has ever seen, so this book is a great travel guide for us. There were dozens of places we have already seen (I was even surprised to find my hometown listed as one of the 1,000 places!), but hundreds more we have never been to. The information and websites also really makes planning a lot easier. There are already a bunch of places we are going to t
Paula
Mar 08, 2014 Paula rated it liked it
This book is great! I was surprised at how many thing that were recommended for my home state of Indiana. I would recommend this book for families taking trips anywhere in the United States and Canada.
DrLoni
Jun 23, 2014 DrLoni rated it liked it
This book gives you an excuse to live life fully (not that any of us need one) while making it crystal clear that there are only 365 days in a year, so one needs to get busy traveling.
Barb
Jun 16, 2008 Barb rated it it was amazing
The first thing I do when I pick up a book like this is look to see if the things I know for a fact are accurate. Since I was born and raised in Minnesota, that was the first place I checked. My theory being - if her writing on Minnesota is good and accurate, I can trust her writing on other locations. Her writing on Minnesota was astounding! I would give her an A for what she chose to write about, how she wrote it, and the accuracy of the information. I then found the rest of the book a delight ...more
Debbey Sperberg lukaszewicz
Jan 31, 2013 Debbey Sperberg lukaszewicz rated it really liked it
I love lists especially of the to-do variety, I love to travel and because of this I love this book! Before I bought this domestic version, I acquired the original "1000 Places to See" which I also loved but since Im usually on the broke side there was a lot of sighing and "How will I ever see all these amazing places, how oh how" Well this book has a lot less of that, of course there are a thousand(!) places so unless I spend my rest of my life on the road (if only!!) I wont be completely this ...more
Michael
Jan 02, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, 2014
1.5 star
I'm not sure there is anything in this book that you can't find with a good search online. Yes, it may help you find a couple of extra places - I don't know. The layout is poor and descriptions are underwhelming. The book does not fit the title. I don't need to know about three hotels in an area to see before I die, unless they are the most amazing structural marvels to mankind. Bleh. 2-stars because there is probably some valuable stuff in here.
E G
Mar 18, 2015 E G rated it it was ok
more of the same, but i did discover some places that sound like they'd be fun to visit someday
Rachel
Apr 18, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not a reading book. This is a browse through and dream with your loved ones then keep in the car and stop and see something on your next trip book. We've already used ours to see Carlsbad Caverns and Ojo Caliente hot springs in Santa Fe and Byrce and Zion National Parks, it even recommended trails. I hope to one day work up to the world version. If you always mean to stop and see something on the way to grandma's and never do it try this book as a way to motivate and take the fear out. I ...more
Kelly
Jun 04, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Use this as my travel log. Marking each place off one by one!
Barbara Hancher
Mar 01, 2014 Barbara Hancher rated it really liked it
Good travel guide to US and Canada. Use it when I travel.
Melissa Bond
Feb 26, 2011 Melissa Bond rated it liked it
An adventurous read, but having already visited many of the places featured, it can sometimes seem more of an advertisement for failing tourist traps than true gems that must be on every single person's bucket list. Nevertheless, this is a great book to have when you travel, just to see something that is not so often seen. And for those who do not travel, you can clearly imagine what each place is truly like by the colorful descriptions written on each and every place.
Bethe
Jan 20, 2014 Bethe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fict
Go to book for all US/Canada travel - the first place I look when travel planning.
Patty Barr
I really didn't read every word of this book, but it's one I can come back to. I checked off only 158 places that I've visited, out of 1,000 - and I thought I was well-travelled! There are actually places even in Illinois (like Nauvoo and the Frank Lloyd Wright home in Oak Park) that I haven't seen. I'm adding Macinac Island and a few spots in Louisville , KY later this summer, but I have a long way to go!
Glenn
Jun 13, 2010 Glenn rated it really liked it
A graduation gift, I was pleasantly surprised to find a concise list of "must-sees" throughout the country. While travel information of this sort is probably more accurate, broad, and tailorable online, the book does the trick of bringing it all to one place. Fun to read through and check of places I've been, daydream about places I'd like to go, and research activities for an upcoming move.
Jeanette
Mar 03, 2008 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
My husband and I have really enjoyed going through this book. We have discovered lots of places and events that we would love to go visit. I think this is a great book to get some ideas and then do some more research on the places in more detailed books. After going through this book we actually feel like maybe there is a reason to got to South and North Dakota after all! :-)
Susan
Mar 23, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I just recieved this as a first-reads-giveaway and I'm so thankful! I came at just the perfect time to start planning our spring and summer get aways. It gives just enough information to grab your interest on tons of different places. It's very well put together and easy to read. It's also just compact enough to fit nicely in my car on our trips! Thanks again for this great book!
Greg Jones
Sep 16, 2011 Greg Jones rated it liked it
An OK guide to some out of the way places you might not have been. Unfortunately the places near me were all ones I'd previously discovered, and the write ups about them didn't make me want to visit! If I were heading to a new place for vacation, this would make an excellent resource, but there are probably better ones that would specific to any area I would visit.
Jasmin
This book made me reminisce and dream.

When you pick up this book and browse through it, it would make you fall in love with the places, so absolutely, that you would really want to go to them.

This is a wonderful companion book, and I'll sure to carry this on my travels. and make sure to myself that I'll travel these 1000 places before I die. :)
Nicole
Feb 22, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
A good giant checklist and idea book of things you should do all over the US. Some of them are on the expensive end, but I find this as a great place to start when I am planning a trip to a new area. Definitely gives me the ideas about what's cool in that place and what the highlights are that I wouldn't want to miss.
Adrian Sanabria
I was disappointed. I was hoping for a book with some deep, personal insight into some of these places. Inside tips on where to go, what to do. Instead, this reads like a typical tourist guide. I checked out some of the places I've been on the list, and if you follow this guide, you're going to miss the best parts.
Suzanne
Apr 18, 2010 Suzanne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: travelers
Interesting stuff, though I dislike the "before you die" aspect, because who needs the pressure? The author and I differ in our tastes (I could do without the golfing tips, for instance) but not so widely that there was no point in the reading. Shocking omission: Lucas, Kansas and the Garden of Eden.
Angel Cowgirl
Nov 12, 2012 Angel Cowgirl rated it it was ok
Some good suggestions here, but obviously stretching to reach the 1,000 mark. So many hotels and resorts are listed that it seems like the author must have gotten some perks along the way. Irritatingly organized by region (Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, etc) rather than alphabetically by state or province.
  • Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways
  • Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
  • 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die
  • Where To Go When (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • London (Eyewitness Travel)
  • 1001 Escapes to Experience Before You Die
  • The Smart Traveler's Passport
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • Paris
  • Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die
  • Peru
  • The Travel Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the World
  • Rick Steves' Paris 2007 (Rick Steves' City and Regional Guides)
  • Frommer's 500 Places to Take Your Kids Before They Grow Up