Scryer's Gulch Episodes 1-10: Annabelle Arrives

Scryer's Gulch Episodes 1-10: Annabelle Arrives (Scryer's Gulch vol. 1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A newer compilation of Scryer's Gulch is available; this version is no longer available.

1875: The dawn of a magical new age of technology--no seriously, the technology's based on magic.

The world relies on the hard-scrabble mining town of Scryer's Gulch for hermetauxite, the ore that runs everything from clocks to trains to the new ethergraph system. But an unscrupulous spe...more
ebook, Smashwords Edition
Published February 5th 2010 by Sans Culotte Press (first published February 2nd 2010)

Cynthia
I was fortunate enough to receive a paperback copy of Scryer's Gulch (Magic in the Wild Wild West) Episodes 1-10: Annabelle Arrives as part of Goodreads' First Reads giveaway program. This book is also available in eForm, as are the next chapters in the serial fantasy western. And it is well worth the read. Ms. Miranda combines the best of the old West with Steampunk magic and the result is wildly entertaining. Think a combination of 'The Wild Wild West,' 'Deadwood' and 'Cat Ballou' with a smidg...more
Mike Thomas
A playful wildwest meets science fiction story filled with intrigue and drama. A fun read, suitable for older teens and adults, (it contains some adult concepts), and while there is talk of demons, death and magical creatures the story is not scary, but a good distraction from the real world.

I was hooked after reading this and continued reading the remaining currently posted chapters available in weekly installments on the Author's blog at - http://www.meilinmiranda.com/scryers-...

I received thi...more
MeiLin Miranda
Sep 25, 2010 MeiLin Miranda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-writing
I kinda wrote it, so take that into consideration. :)

This is a compilation of the first ten episodes of my webserial mashup of fantasy, westerns and soap operas; I'm told there's a steampunky vibe, too. If you were to take Dark Shadows, Deadwood and Wild, Wild West and put 'em in a blender, you'd have something of an idea as to what's going on here.
MeiLin Miranda
Oct 16, 2010 MeiLin Miranda added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this; all I wish to add is that there is now a second book in the series: Scryer's Gulch: Magic in the Wild, Wild West - Episodes 11-30. Enjoy!
Wahiaronkwas David
Either I wait for the next episodes to be made into an ebook, or I read it on the website. What to do, what to do. I've said it before: This is a fun read. I just can't pronounce Herma-whats-it.
Heidi

Steampunk magic in the wild west...how cool is that?!

Gets 5 stars because I will definitely read it again when the serial is done.

Chris Kelly
Really enjoyed this, although I ignored the tangents it sometimes wandered off in.
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Sapphire Alvarez
Sapphire Alvarez is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Stephanie Mesler
Stephanie Mesler marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Camila
Camila marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2013
Laura Donnell
Laura Donnell marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Thizyri Tanazurt
Thizyri Tanazurt marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Tina Fowler
Tina Fowler marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2013
K4tie
K4tie marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2012
Bruce Corrie
Bruce Corrie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2012
Trevor
Trevor added it
Aug 06, 2012
BluestockingBabe
BluestockingBabe marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2012
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2012
Belle
Belle marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2012
Tnkw01
Tnkw01 marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Enter to win a hard copy of Scryer's Gulch 1! 1 3 Oct 16, 2010 03:49PM
MeiLin Miranda writes literary fantasy and science fiction set in Victorian worlds. Her love of all things 19th century (except for the pesky parts like cholera, child labor, slavery and no rights for women) has consumed her since childhood, when she fell in a stack of Louisa May Alcott and never got up.

MeiLin wrote nonfiction for thirty years, in radio, television, print and the web. She always w...more
More about MeiLin Miranda...
Lovers and Beloveds Son in Sorrow An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom, Book One: The Tale of Two Kingdoms The Machine God (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #3) The Gratification Engine