Start by marking “Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating Details ·  1,408 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
9781558322561 Features: -Title: Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker. -Sub Title: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are. -ISBN: 1558322566. -ISBN 13: 9781558322561. -General subject: Cooking. -Subject: Cooking / vegetarian and vegan. Subject: -Cooking. Country of Manufacture: -United States. Age Group: -Adults. Dimensions: Overall ...more
Published December 25th 2003 by Harvard Common Press

To ask other readers questions about Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

Maggie
Feb 20, 2008 Maggie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
My slow cooker is my absolute favorite kitchen appliance. I have a great one from West Bend that I have to plug here: It has a 6 qt pot that sits on a heating base. You can put the pot in the oven (to roast veggies to make stock) or on the stovetop (to saute onions or other things before the slow cooking process).... It works great (only downside is that it does not have a timer). In any case, as a mostly vegetarian / pescatarian, I thought it would be hard to find vegetarian recipes to use in ...more
jess
Jan 07, 2009 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, food
Despite the "vegetarian" title, most of the recipes are vegan or easily veganizable. There are so many delicious, hearty, thick soups, stews and chowders waiting for your slow cooker. A lot of veggies & spices open up whole new levels of flavor when slow-cooking, and this cookbook exploits those properties to the fullest. There are chilis and legumes galore, recipes to please party-goers, and classics made into slow-cooked recipes for convenience in the kitchen. I haven't had a chance to ...more
Miranda Lynn
Great cookbook! Although I was disappointed by its complete lack of pictures and expected, because of that, not to like this cookbook very much...I was pleasantly surprised by how many recipes I found myself bookmarking! Lots of great ideas and fresh new ways to cook vegetarian meals. I'm not vegetarian myself, but do try to limit my intake of meat, so I found quite a few awesome recipes that I can't wait to try out with my slow cooker!
Ami
Jul 12, 2013 Ami rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Not entirely sold yet...exciting idea, but a lot of the recipes call for sauteeing stuff first as part of the prep, and that seems like a whole lot of work and dishes to dirty in the AM...wondering if it's entirely worth it and I'll probably be experimenting. Most of the recipes are vegan, which is nice. I love the idea of dumplings/biscuit crust cooked right on top of a stew, and I'm excited to see how that works.
Chris
Apr 10, 2007 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I use this book constantly during the winter, when my Crockpot is my best friend. Most slow-cooker books focus a lot on meat, so an all veggie book is a must have for us vegetarians. The results are often so-so, but then crockpots don't make the most exciting food, just the most convenient. I also like the breakfast section in the back, because waking up to fresh oatmeal makes winter bearable.
Sandra
Sep 25, 2016 Sandra rated it it was ok
Not much of interest in this book.
Lee
Sep 12, 2016 Lee rated it it was amazing
Fall is the perfect season for this wonderful cookbook when I really want a warm and hearty meal. A table of contents at the beginning of the book directs readers to individual sections divided by food type where the reader finds additional contents pages to direct them to individual recipes. I have had bad luck with recipe books in the past because when I make the food it often doesn't turn out as well as the recipes promise, but this slow cooker book is the HUGE exception. The four recipes I ...more
Jessica
Nov 26, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Slow beans bourguignon: I was disappointed to discover that I forgot to add the sauteed mushrooms to this dish at the end, but nonetheless, it was a hit -- by far the best of the three recipes I've tried from this cookbook so far! No leftovers from this dish. I will definitely make it again.

No hurry vegetable curry: I have no idea if this curry was intended to be of the Indian or Thai variety. The veggies said Indian, while the addition of coconut milk at the end said Thai. Either way, it was pr
Audrey
Jun 16, 2010 Audrey rated it really liked it
When I first considered becoming a vegetarian, one sticking point was the idea that I would have to give up my beloved slow cooker, and the magic of putting a $5.00 roast and a bottle of beer into it in the morning and having a mound of wonderful shredded beef at night. I can pass up meat but could I pass up a good deal? I am CHEAP!

Luckily I found this book. Little did I know, slow cookers are wonderful for vegetables. And I now make killer black bean soup, wild mushroom polenta, vegetarian fren
Rebekah
Feb 22, 2016 Rebekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, nonfiction
Read this book if: You like vegetables, are a vegetarian/vegan, are trying to eat healthy, are lazy, are a bad cook, are too busy to spend lots of time in the kitchen, or own a slow-cooker

This book has an excellent blend of recipes for slow-cookers, aka crock pots. The recipes vary from traditional crock pot recipes such as stews (Almost Irish Stew), soups (French Onion Soup), and potpies (Cornbread Topped Southwestern Potpie) but also include nontraditional assortments from drinks (Mulled Wine)
Colette
Sep 21, 2011 Colette rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
A really good slow-cooker compilation with recipes across a wide variety of cuisines. The recipes I've made out of here have been filling and flavorful, and are pretty cost effective if your pantry is properly stocked.

Do plan ahead when you decide to make something out of here, especially if you're like me and throwing together supper happens in the five minutes before you leave the house in the morning. My only caveat with this cookbook is that there's often about 10-15 minutes of prep work bef
Sunni
Jun 19, 2009 Sunni rated it liked it
Shelves: cookingandbaking
Okay, I admit it, I didn't try a damn recipe out of this book before I turned it back in (late). Nothing struck me as something I just couldn't resist getting the crockpot out for. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure the recipes are great, I just need someone to steer me toward one b/c I wasn't responding on my own. Many of the ingredient lists were very long too. Sigh. Complain, complain. Perhaps it's the new baby but I just want food to be easy right now - I'm sure these are easier than making them ...more
Sara
Feb 21, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
This cookbook is a surprising hit--its selection of recipes is more diverse and creatively conceived than I'd have thought from its somewhat humdrum cover (for what that's worth!). I certainly would not have ever imagined making vegetarian haggis in my slow cooker, but it turned out great! There's a lot of tastiness and utility to be found here.

My one major complaint is that the book overuses white beans, which I find to be a bit bland, and which often do not complement the flavor of the respect
Aileena
Sep 08, 2010 Aileena rated it it was amazing
This book has the most mundane cover and title. Marketing dropped the ball on it, its a miracle I even bought it... but Dont get it confused with other boring slow cooker cookbooks, it houses some of the most creative/world friendly recipes for the slow cooker I've ever come across. I love the sloppy lentils, today we had the exoctic morroccan-inspired chickpea stew complete with imported olives, dried apricots and plums, and meditterean spices. I cant wait to try the indian kidney bean stew ...more
Tamara
Jan 18, 2011 Tamara rated it liked it
Recommended to Tamara by: Maggie
I didn't know this, but every time you lift the lid of your slow cooker, you lose between 15 to 20 minutes of cooking time. Good to note, as I am very inclined to want to peak & stir!

I also never quite understood that tofu in the refrigerated section (in tubs) is regular tofu or Chinese bean curd, whereas the tofu in 12-oz aseptic containers is silken tofu. There is quite a big difference, especially in textures. Turns out I like Chinese bean curd way better than silken tofu.

Might try:
Ench
Ashley
Mar 30, 2008 Ashley rated it did not like it
I didn't finish this book because almost all of the recipes involved some cooking BEFORE using the slow cooker (i.e. stir-frying vegetables, and then putting them in the slow cooker for a soup, etc.) Since I was interested more in convenience, this book wasn't the best choice for me. However, the recipes sounded good. If saving time isn't your top priority, this would probably still be a good vegetarian cookbook for you.
Diane
Oct 10, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Alhtough there are some recipes in here that would come along with the instructions for a slow cooker (beans, oatmeal), there are some interesting ones such as vegetarian haggis, and pot-au-few. This isn't a gourmet cookbook, and I like it because it is everyday, therefore easy to use when the day is such that you pull out the slow cooker and say, "What can I make in this today without going out to buy groceries?"
Kaila
Feb 05, 2013 Kaila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
Picked this up on a recommendation from a coworker and I absolutely adore it so far. I have only made two recipes, but they have been amazing successes. It would be pretty easy to take these vegetarian recipes and substitute an item with meat, if need be. However, I love them how they are, and the beans a lot of them have add lots of protein. I can't wait to try out more recipes!

There's also a dessert and a DRINK section in the back. mmmm mulled wine sooo tasty.
Nan
Dec 15, 2009 Nan rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
It is cold outside and I'm working long hours. Seems like a crockpot of veggie goodness could help, right? This book, however, assumes I'll wake up even earlier to saute some onions and other things to dump in a crockpot before leaving for work and I have to manage to be home 6-8 hours later to stop the cooking. Maybe morning people could do this. Maybe part-timers could do this. Not me. Disappointing.
Apr 07, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, cooking
A definite go to book of mine. Love the recipes in this book, but more importantly so does my husband who is not typically fond of my meatless meals. I probably use the section on soups and stews the most as I like being able to throw the recipe togther quickly in the evening, let it cook overnight, and have fresh meals for lunch the next day.
Deandria
Jun 26, 2010 Deandria rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-cookbooks
I love to use my slow cooker and I am not a cook at all. So the fact that I have been able to successfully accomplish any of the recipes entirely on my own without help from the hubby is a nice book. The only thing is I found a lot of the recipes a bit bland ,which I have found in the other book that I have by RObin G. Robertson as well.
Mark Albright
Jul 16, 2015 Mark Albright rated it it was amazing
This is the best cookbook I read that intersects both vegetarian cooking and using a slow cooker.
The recipes are very good, not complicated and low in fat (one vegetarian cookbook for the slow cooker has recipes that include cream of whatever soups...not here).
I have bookmarks next to all the recipes I want to try...and the book is loaded with them.
Elise Cohen
"As a married mother of 6 with a full-time job and a prediliction for vegan dinners, I love this book. It's the only one I've found devoted to this subtopic. There are a number of recipes we've tried and enjoyed. The recipes are well-written, with timing and ingredients details well specified. There is a variety of soups, stews, potpies and other meals offered."
Tofu Fairy
most of these recipes use a slow cooker for reasons I will never understand...I thought it would be a bunch of dump and simmer recipes but its not...its like making cake and baking bread...no...not my fortay...still some good recipes in here...just too much work for me..the point of a slow cooker in my mind is NOT to work.
Clare
Mar 25, 2015 Clare rated it really liked it
I first borrowed this book from my local library. After trying one recipe and absolutely loving it, I went out and bought a copy straight away! I have to admit, I have only tried 2 recipes from the book over the years, but they are so delicious, I just can't bring myself to try anything else. I will, someday!
Alisha Hanson-Glatzel
I made a few recipes like the maple baked beans which was good. However, FRESH is not how I would describe the recipes in here. Lots of beans and it calls for canned beans...really? Soak over night & let them cook all day...beans & a slow cooker - that's a pair made in heaven. I checked this out from the library and I certainly wouldn't purchase it.
Devon Trevarrow Flaherty
Oct 12, 2008 Devon Trevarrow Flaherty rated it really liked it
i guess we'll have to see, after making more. this was the highest rated veggie slow cooker book i could find, but i'm not as impressed as i wanted to be. some of it just takes too much work for a slow cooker; isn't ease the point? i might as well make things on the stove. however, the tiramisu cheesecake was a big hit.
Kewannah "Health Kick Chick"
May 23, 2011 Kewannah "Health Kick Chick" rated it really liked it
I just got a slow cooker and am trying this book out before I buy it (it's on loan from the library). I'll be making a few recipes this week.

I'll buy this book because it's one of the better vegetarian slow cooker cookbooks but the lack of pictures is pointless to me. Many of the recipes won't be in my heavy rotation but it's always great to have options!
Amber
Oct 28, 2008 Amber rated it it was ok
I've heard a lot of good reviews about this book, but I'm just not seeing the results. I tried the "pot pie" recipe and was disgusted. The topping came out spongy and damp, and the stew underneath was heavy on potatoes and really bland. I think my strong desire to love this book will have me trying again, but as of now I'm really disappointed.
Jill Myers
Feb 21, 2016 Jill Myers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbook
Ok, so, lesson learned. I should NEVER read a cookbook before bed. I want to eat!!! I think this is a great cookbook for everyone, vegetarian or not. Stuffed green peppers, bread pudding, chili, fancy oatmeal and a Spiced Hot Mocha I can't wait to try. (A pint of chocolate ice cream, coffee and brandy??? When can you come over and try some with me???) Time to go to the grocery store!
Successful and less successful dishes? 2 9 Sep 03, 2008 04:33AM
  • Passionate Vegetarian
  • The Vegan Table: 200 Unforgettable Recipes for Entertaining Every Guest at Every Occasion
  • The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Vegan Express
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Vegan Lunch Box: 130 Amazing, Animal-free Lunches Kids and Grown-ups Will Love!
  • Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook
  • The Conscious Cook: Delicious Meatless Recipes That Will Change the Way You Eat
  • A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen: Easy Seasonal Dishes for Family and Friends
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Meatless Recipes from Around the World
  • The Vegan Slow Cooker: Simply Set It and Go with 150 Recipes for Intensely Flavorful, Fuss-Free Fare Everyone (Vegan or Not!) Will Devour
  • Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven: Over 200 Recipes for Uncommon Soups, Tasty Bites, Side-By-Side Dishes, and Too Many Desserts
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
  • Vegan Yum Yum Decadent (But Doable) Animal-Free Recipes for Entertaining and Everyday
  • Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking Up For—From Asparagus Omelets to Pumpkin Pancakes
An experienced chef and consultant, Robin Robertson worked for many years in restaurants and catering in northeastern Pennsylvania and Charleston, South Carolina before she began writing cookbooks. In 1988, she left the restaurant business and became vegan for ethical reasons. She then rededicated her life to writing and teaching gourmet vegan cooking.

Over the years, she has fine-tuned her plant-b
More about Robin G. Robertson...