Start by marking “The After Life” as Want to Read:
The After Life

The After Life

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Nineteen-year-old Will Shepherd has never met his father, even though they live on opposite ends of Manhattan. Suddenly, within twenty-four hours, Will meets his father and his two halfsiblings, Kyle and Liz, and then his father dies out of the blue.

A clause in the will requires Will to drive back to New York from the funeral in Florida with self-absorbed Kyle and gorgeou

Published October 5th 2006 by Razorbill (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The After Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The After Life

Someone Like You by Sarah DessenThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerSalvaged by Stefne MillerForever... by Judy BlumeAlong for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Feet!
59th out of 437 books — 308 voters
Amy and Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonPaper Towns by John GreenAn Abundance of Katherines by John Green13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen JohnsonTwo-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
Young Adult Road Trip Novels
139th out of 230 books — 1,690 voters

More lists with this book...

Janice
I love road trip books and so I really expected to enjoy this one. Unfortunately, it fell a little flat for me. Ironically, I enjoyed what happened beforehand more than the trip itself.

Will and his estranged half siblings, twins Liz and Kyle, drive from Florida to New York following their father's funeral in an 1988 Orange Volvo. They have 48 hours to complete the trip in order for Will to recieve his inheritance. The journey is wrought with tension, espcially between the two boys, a few creepy
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3/5
This book... This book was just, so... I was hoping for something different from this book, and what I got was not what I wanted or hoped for, in a bad way.
It's about three people: Will, Liz, and Kyle Shepherd, who are separated siblings, and who meet just before their father dies, and then go on a small road trip home from the funeral, somewhat at the request from their fathers will.
I did not like Will very much. He's nineteen, and yet is a bit of a drunk; is a drunk, which I did not like.
Sammi
This book is odd, but not as off-the-wall strange as many of the books I've read recently. It's basically the tale of an underage alcoholic--Will--trying to reconnect with his estranged father after the man's untimely death. This also means connecting with his half-siblings--Liz and Kyle--who want to help and get rid of Will (respectively). Together, they set out on an epic journey to get back to New York and work out what, exactly, could come of the trip in the first place.

This book may make yo
Duncan Prescott
I have never read a story in my life where every single character, protagonists and minor characters didn't have one redeeming or endearing quality about them until now. Sure, characters need flaws, but a quiver full? However, that said, the story was good, but the ending a little flat. I will check out one more story by this author before I totally give up on him, and likely two. A bit rambling into the literary which I don't care for, but I do like books that take us around the country.
Jackie
Dysfunctional doesn’t even begin to describe the Shepherd family. Will is a 19 year old raging alcoholic who is in love with his halfsister. Will’s father has been absent his entire life. When his father dies, he speaks from the grave, and commands that Will accompany his half siblings on a bizarre road trip that involves a beloved 1988
orange Volvo.
orange Volvo.
Jill Guccini
Really, really liked this book at the beginning - kind of Rob Thomas meets Gossip Girl, really entertaining - but then I feel like it got kind of strange. And I like strange usually, it just, I don't know, didn't work for me. But I'd still be interested in reading more of Ehrenhaft.
Natalie

I liked this book, I think that it'd make a great movie. But I didn't love it. I think we could have seen more about the characters and why they act the way they act but, I thought the plot was pretty cool and it's not one I'd usually pick up. A good read.
Erikka
A different spin on a coming of age story for a prep school kid who's drug infused, hippy father dies and in doing so, throws the guy together with his step sister and brother on a cross country trip from hell.

Funny, crass, and touching all at once.

Stephanie A.
Dull. Kid's rich dad dies, he hangs out with half-siblings for a while, is typical obnoxious YA boy (as boyfriends, many of them are amazing, but somehow whenever they are the star of a book themselves, at least after 1980, they suck).
Jessica
I originally picked up the book because I liked the premise, but the actual plot was rather wacky and out there. Three stars because I really enjoyed Ehrenhaft's writing and character development. Everything else was "ehh".
Purpleduck
This book was really meh. The plot was ok but I really disliked all of the characters. This was definately not one of my favourite YA contemporaries.
Heather
weird. really weird. well-written, engaging...but a really weird story line.

I'm not sure what happened.
Otmane El Rhazi
It is a great book to be recommended.

EL RHAZI Otmane.

Marla
Not sure why I even finished this book. Not very enjoyable and really not realistic. Boring.
Alexa Desocio
it was a fun read. a little bizzare, but gstill good. i liked it.
Hallie
Sooooo good very nice plot and intriuging.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Diane Powers
Diane Powers marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Hristina Petrov
Hristina Petrov marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Addison Akins
Addison Akins marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Sara Morrell
Sara Morrell marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
April Reiter
April Reiter marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Reagan
Reagan marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Kevin Lau
Kevin Lau marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Caroline G'wattage
Caroline G'wattage marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
  • Defining Dulcie
  • Zigzag
  • The Car
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
  • Spring Break
  • The Way It Is
  • Impossible to Resist (The Men of Wolff Mountain, #3)
  • Breathless
  • The Proposal/Solid Soul
  • Twenty-Somewhere
  • Bollywood Babes (Bindi Babes, #2)
  • More Than He Expected
  • The Four Dorothys
  • Southern Comfort (Southern, #1)
  • Castles on the Sand (Shattered Castles, #1)
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 Creative  Games & Activities To Occupy 2-6 Yr Olds
  • One Hot Second: Stories About Desire
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)
Daniel Ehrenhaft is the author of several dozen books for children and young adults—so many books, in fact, that he has lost count. He has often written under the pseudonym Daniel Parker (his middle name, which is easier to spell and pronounce than his last), and occasionally Erin Haft. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife Jessica, as well as a scruffy dog named Gibby and a psychotic cat named Boots ...more
More about Daniel Ehrenhaft...
The Last Dog on Earth 10 Things to Do Before I Die Friend Is Not a Verb Dirty Laundry Drawing a Blank: Or How I Tried to Solve a Mystery, End a Feud, and Land the Girl of My Dreams