Start by marking “The After Life” as Want to Read:
The After Life

The After Life

Nineteen-year-old Will Shepherd has never met his father, even though they live on opposite ends of Manhattan. Suddenly, within twenty-four hours, Will meets his father and his two halfsiblings, Kyle and Liz, and then his father dies out of the blue.

A clause in the will requires Will to drive back to New York from the funeral in Florida with self-absorbed Kyle and gorgeou

Published October 5th 2006 by Razorbill (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The After Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The After Life

Someone Like You by Sarah DessenThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerSalvaged by Stefne MillerForever . . . by Judy BlumeAlong for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
Feet!
444 books — 314 voters
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonPaper Towns by John GreenAn Abundance of Katherines by John Green13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen JohnsonTwo-Way Street by Lauren Barnholdt
Young Adult Road Trip Novels
275 books — 1,879 voters

More lists with this book...

Lili's Bookshelf
Jul 09, 2016 Lili's Bookshelf rated it really liked it
Wow. That was quite an odd, enjoyable, and slightly disturbing read. I'm not even completely sure how to go about describing this strange little book, but I know that I found it highly entertaining.
To me, the characters are really what carried the story. The plot itself was actually kind of thin and generic (long-lost family, random, urgent road trip, etc.), but the three MCs and the supporting characters really brought it to life. Take Forrest (Liz, Kyle, and Will's father), for example: he die
John
Jun 09, 2015 John rated it liked it
The cover of the book is the the "first impression" that I had of this book, so I was "wary" of the book. I judge that I am not a "painted-toenails-on-the-dashboard" type. However, I saw a picture of the author, and he looks intriguing, read his biography, and his life sounds intriguing, so I didn't write the book off. I decided to give it a chance.

The story was not what I expected. The story was hard for me to relate to because the characters were not me. Kyle, Liz & Will are "good looking"
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Dec 21, 2011 Judy (Geeky Reading) rated it liked it
Shelves: own
~3/5
This book... This book was just, so... I was hoping for something different from this book, and what I got was not what I wanted or hoped for, in a bad way.
It's about three people: Will, Liz, and Kyle Shepherd, who are separated siblings, and who meet just before their father dies, and then go on a small road trip home from the funeral, somewhat at the request from their fathers will.
I did not like Will very much. He's nineteen, and yet is a bit of a drunk; is a drunk, which I did not like.
Sammi
Dec 14, 2009 Sammi rated it really liked it
This book is odd, but not as off-the-wall strange as many of the books I've read recently. It's basically the tale of an underage alcoholic--Will--trying to reconnect with his estranged father after the man's untimely death. This also means connecting with his half-siblings--Liz and Kyle--who want to help and get rid of Will (respectively). Together, they set out on an epic journey to get back to New York and work out what, exactly, could come of the trip in the first place.

This book may make yo
Janice
I love road trip books and so I really expected to enjoy this one. Unfortunately, it fell a little flat for me. Ironically, I enjoyed what happened beforehand more than the trip itself.

Will and his estranged half siblings, twins Liz and Kyle, drive from Florida to New York following their father's funeral in an 1988 Orange Volvo. They have 48 hours to complete the trip in order for Will to recieve his inheritance. The journey is wrought with tension, espcially between the two boys, a few creepy
Duncan Prescott
May 15, 2012 Duncan Prescott rated it liked it
I have never read a story in my life where every single character, protagonists and minor characters didn't have one redeeming or endearing quality about them until now. Sure, characters need flaws, but a quiver full? However, that said, the story was good, but the ending a little flat. I will check out one more story by this author before I totally give up on him, and likely two. A bit rambling into the literary which I don't care for, but I do like books that take us around the country.
Jackie
Jan 18, 2008 Jackie rated it really liked it
Dysfunctional doesn’t even begin to describe the Shepherd family. Will is a 19 year old raging alcoholic who is in love with his halfsister. Will’s father has been absent his entire life. When his father dies, he speaks from the grave, and commands that Will accompany his half siblings on a bizarre road trip that involves a beloved 1988
orange Volvo.
orange Volvo.
Jessica
Jul 18, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
I originally picked up the book because I liked the premise, but the actual plot was rather wacky and out there. Three stars because I really enjoyed Ehrenhaft's writing and character development. Everything else was "ehh".
Stephanie A.
Jul 21, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it it was ok
Dull. Kid's rich dad dies, he hangs out with half-siblings for a while, is typical obnoxious YA boy (as boyfriends, many of them are amazing, but somehow whenever they are the star of a book themselves, at least after 1980, they suck).
Jill Guccini
Oct 06, 2009 Jill Guccini rated it liked it
Really, really liked this book at the beginning - kind of Rob Thomas meets Gossip Girl, really entertaining - but then I feel like it got kind of strange. And I like strange usually, it just, I don't know, didn't work for me. But I'd still be interested in reading more of Ehrenhaft.
Erikka
Dec 28, 2008 Erikka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reads-of-08
A different spin on a coming of age story for a prep school kid who's drug infused, hippy father dies and in doing so, throws the guy together with his step sister and brother on a cross country trip from hell.

Funny, crass, and touching all at once.

Layla
Aug 02, 2016 Layla rated it did not like it
I enjoyed everything except for the part where things got vaguely incesty and I can't look past that at all.
Purpleduck
Sep 20, 2013 Purpleduck rated it it was ok
This book was really meh. The plot was ok but I really disliked all of the characters. This was definately not one of my favourite YA contemporaries.
Heather
Jan 03, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
weird. really weird. well-written, engaging...but a really weird story line.

I'm not sure what happened.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
May 09, 2009
Bailey
Bailey rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2012
Maria Figueroa
Maria Figueroa rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2010
Erika Flachskam
Erika Flachskam rated it really liked it
May 08, 2012
Ysabel Panagsagan
Ysabel Panagsagan rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Frances Go
Frances Go rated it liked it
May 29, 2012
Missy Barrieau
Missy Barrieau rated it liked it
May 25, 2011
Akaliene Hekele
Akaliene Hekele rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2013
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
May 03, 2012
Kendra Cash
Kendra Cash rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2013
Cristina
Cristina rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
Kayla K
Kayla K rated it did not like it
Dec 03, 2012
nimra
nimra rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Defining Dulcie
  • Zigzag
  • The Car
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
  • The Way It Is
  • More Than He Expected
  • Impossible to Resist (The Men of Wolff Mountain, #3)
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)
  • Bollywood Babes (Bindi Babes, #2)
  • Breathless
  • Castles on the Sand (Shattered Castles, #1)
  • Southern Comfort (Southern, #1)
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 fun, creative, screen-free activities to stimulate your preschooler every day of the year!
  • The Four Dorothys (Drama!, #1)
  • The Proposal/Solid Soul
  • One Hot Second: Stories About Desire
  • The Charge
Daniel Ehrenhaft is the author of several dozen books for children and young adults—so many books, in fact, that he has lost count. He has often written under the pseudonym Daniel Parker (his middle name, which is easier to spell and pronounce than his last), and occasionally Erin Haft. He lives in Brooklyn with his wife Jessica, as well as a scruffy dog named Gibby and a psychotic cat named Boots ...more
More about Daniel Ehrenhaft...