Start by marking “Stein, Stoned (Harry Stein, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stein, Stoned (Harry Stein, #1)

Stein, Stoned (Harry Stein #1)

A Harry Stein Soft-Boiled Murder Mystery!

In the sixties, Harry Stein was the foremost authority on cannabis; writing the book on indoor cultivation, inventing thirteen different hybrids, and planting “Victory Gardens” across America behind police precincts, legislature courtyards, and legendarily in the rose garden of the Nixon White House.

Flash forward to the 20th anniver
Published August 1st 2010 by Tyrus Books (first published July 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Stein, Stoned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stein, Stoned

Katy
Oct 31, 2012 Katy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy books with extremely stupid and hypocritical protagonists
Shelves: ebook, unfinished
Book Info: Genre: “Soft-boiled” mystery/Humorous Mystery Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I picked up a free copy of this book when it was on promotion on Amazon, then received the 2nd book in the series free from Amazon Vine in exchange for an honest review. As I result, I’ve decided to go ahead and review this book, too.

Synopsis: In the sixties, Harry Stein was the foremost authority on cannabis; writing the book on indoor cultivation, inventing thirteen different hybrids, and planting “Victory
Carmen
This book has a lot of problems.

Stein is a lovable, bumbling sort. He's a former pothead, a Pot King, really - who wrote a whole book about growing and selling pot, did some anti-government protesting, generally Fought the Man in a sort of justified haze. But when his wife, Hillary, stopped loving him and asked for a divorce, he renounced all drugs and his old lifestyle in order to retain partial custody of his beloved daughter, Angie.

One day a little baggie of pot appears in his mailbox. Appare
Sophie
May 15, 2012 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Two related puzzles...a bit of confusion regarding how they were connected (at least in this reader) a protagonist about ten years younger than me but with enough experience of the 1970s' sex, weed, rock and roll, weed....oh and did I mention weed? I could relate to this guy, trying to man up to responsibly parent his 15 year old daughter, but kind of a loser nonetheless. Gainfully employed by an insurance company but still living with a longstanding reputation for breeding/ creating some of the
Clifford
Jul 07, 2013 Clifford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, mystery
Described as a "soft-boiled" mystery, this book definitely doesn't take itself too seriously. Harry Stein, a former pot aficianado, gets himself involved in three mysteries at once. They're all a little far-fetched, but that's what the suspension of disbelief is all about. The point is that Stein is turning 50 and isn't really happy about where his life is at the moment. Chasing down leads and facing a little danger is just what he needs!

I'm no mystery fan, but this was a fun, quick read.
Darcia Helle
I had this book floating around my Kindle for a couple of years, lost in the chaos of too many downloads. I was intrigued by the plot, so my lack of attention had nothing to do with disinterest. I mention this only because my copy shows as being published in 2010, whereas the Amazon copy (same cover) claims the publishing year as 2013. I noticed this because it's not showing up as a verified purchase. So it's possible the book has been edited since the first release, though I have to assume the ...more
Johnny
Dec 23, 2010 Johnny rated it really liked it
A solid addition to the private eye genre and a series that all interested readers should keep their eye on.

The book's greatest strength is Stein, himself. The character is fully developed, flawed, and unique to the genre. He steps beyond archetype and feels human. While the other characters drop a little more into familiarity, Stein holds it all together.

The first half of the book works a little better than the end, but that's nitpicking and probably just personal preference. I tend to be drawn
Tracy Tibbels
Mar 25, 2013 Tracy Tibbels rated it liked it
I thought this was just okay... as a mystery, it really didn't have me on the edge of my seat... as a book about drugs, I wasn't really impressed with the intricate descriptions of the fantastic stolen "orchids" (I mean, these were INTRICATE descriptions, but... snooze-fest!).... as an overall book, I was somewhat disappointed in the writing... There were a lot of errors (grammatical, spelling, other typos, etc.), and really, I just couldn't get into the flow of the story. It wasn't what I'd ...more
grundoon
Dec 07, 2013 grundoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If strong resolution to mystery is important, you'll be sorely disappointed. But by all means do come for the other 90% - the characters and dialog in this counterculture romp more than make up for shortcomings elsewhere. About the only thing preventing me from immediately starting in on the follow-up is wanting to savor the anticipation. Truly a pleasure!
Lynn
Feb 24, 2012 Lynn rated it it was ok
The story, itself, was pretty good but I had real problems making it through all the grammatical, typographical and/or spelling errors. I read this on my Nook so I am not sure if just the e-edition is poorly edited or if the original hard copy was also so but it definitely affected my thoughts on the book.
Steven
Aug 01, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing
Fun romp with great characters. Author is very facile with dialogue which keeps story pace-y and chuckle inducing. One of my top 3 reads in the last year. Will definitely look for more titles from this talented scribe.
Bridget
Aug 09, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I am fascinated with stoners which is why I wanted to review this book in the first place. I had no idea that the author would suck me in and then, when I turn the last page, spit me out. I hope Hal has many more books like this one up his sleeve.
Jul 10, 2012 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit-reading
I hate quitting a book when I'm halfway through, but I just couldn't stand it any more. There were a lot of characters that popped up from the protagonist's past which made the book feel more like a spin-off to a series which has already ended. It was too much for me to keep track.
Cheryl
May 03, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I liked this story. It was different. I liked the humerous conversations. Harry Stein it is an interesting character. A 70's guy in a 90's world. (In this book Clinton is still president and he is awaiting Gore to be president.)I can't wait to read the next one!
Josh
May 25, 2014 Josh rated it did not like it
I'm relatively certain you'd have to be a stoner to enjoy this book. Being stoned while reading it probably would have helped.
Phillip Frey
Sep 07, 2013 Phillip Frey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Ackerman did a wonderful job of melding humor, parenthood, sleuthing - and murder, into a very entertaining book. I highly recommend it.
Nick
Jun 15, 2013 Nick rated it liked it
Lightweight, a little short, and occasionally a bit too chuffed with itself, nonetheless an enjoyable-enough read. Might stick around for #2.
Elaine
Feb 12, 2012 Elaine marked it as started-reading-but-didn-t-finish
I haven't been able to get into this book.
Ellen
Apr 19, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book could have finished in one day but had to sleep
David Ward
May 10, 2016 David Ward rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, drugs
Stein, Stoned : “A Harry Stein Mystery” by Hal Ackerman (Tyrus Books 2010) (Fiction). Damn!! From the title I was really looking forward to this book. Unfortunately, though, once inside I found truly awful purple prose. I couldn't get past the writing to enjoy the story. DNF (Did Not Finish). My rating: 1/10, finished 2012.
Elizabeth
Mar 29, 2015 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
DNF at page 190 when Stein decides to get high after six years of being clean and his teenage daughter runs away. This book reads like it was written in the 1970s. I was surprised it was published in 2010. It was trying too hard to be funny and it didn't flow.
Tom Clark
May 10, 2016 Tom Clark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious take on stoner culture. If you like movies like the Coen Brothers, expecially The Big Lebowski, then you will enjoy this caper.
Julia
Stein is kind of annoying... as I assume he is supposed to be. Still, I'll read the next book in the series.
NM
NM rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Niki
Niki rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2010
B.
B. rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Roberta Suber
Roberta Suber rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
MomIsReading
MomIsReading rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Kay
Kay rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Double Exposure
  • Getting Sassy
  • Late Rain
  • Every Precious Thing (Logan Harper, #2)
  • Hurt Machine (Moe Prager, #7)
  • Day One
  • El Gavilan
  • Silver Lake
  • Frozen Stiff (Claire Watkins, #8)
  • Scrapbook of Secrets
  • Amos Walker: The Complete Story Collection
  • Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)
  • My Second Death
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Hand: A Henry Spearman Mystery
  • Corn Silk Days
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • The Island of Ted

Harry Stein (2 books)
  • Stein, Stung (Harry Stein, #2)