De zwarte weduwnaars

De zwarte weduwnaars (The Black Widowers #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,240 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Cover design: Robert Nix
Published 1976 by A.W. Bruna & Zoon (first published 1974)

Manny
Towards the end of his life, Asimov became obsessive about publishing as much as possible: he'd brag about having published his age in years and his weight in pounds and stuff like that. He ended up with several hundred books to his credit, but, unsurprisingly, the standard suffered.

This collection, an impulse buy at an airport bookstall, was one of the last ones I read. It's a bunch of extremely dull little mysteries; the most noteworthy point is that Asimov, apparently as interested in the pro...more
Maria João Fernandes
"O facto é que em praticamente todos os crimes de que há registo, a pessoa mais suspeita é realmente o criminoso."

Após uma introdução brilhante no início do livro, Isaac Asimov apresenta-nos o Clube dos Viúvos Negros.

Um grupo de seis homens junta-se, uma vez por mês, num jantar privado, deixando as suas mulheres em casa e concentrando-se em usufruir, ao máximo, da companhia uns dos outros. Entre eles encontra-se um escritor, um professor de matemática, um especialista em criptografia, um artist...more
Brian R. Mcdonald
Contains the short story "The Curious Omission" which in turn contains a brief go reference.

This short story started life as a bibliographic oddity, and without a go reference. The Union Carbide corporation held a "super-sleuth" contest for their customers. The company published, and distributed to "packagers, formulators, and marketers of soap and/or detergent products, chemical specialty products, and cosmetic chemicals", special editions of three of the canonical collections of Sherlock Holme...more
Hollis
With the greatest respect and admiration for Dr A, I have to say nevertheless that this has to be the most boring thing I have ever read: a collection of dull and predictable stories. (I hate to say this but: would they have even been published if they hadn't been written by Isaac Asimov?)

No, I mean it: really boring. As boring as cold shit, as boring as watching paint dry, as boring as a six-hour lecture by Isaac Asimov entitled ''Why I Am So Great'' followed by a two-hour session in which Dr...more
Uriel Ramirez
At first, when I started to read this book the content was somewhat hard to understand. The wording may be a little advanced (Book level) for some readers. Regardless to that, the use of descriptive sentences helps the reader picture in their head the ideas of what the book is telling. The author is great with mysteries and the way the characters are described. Each character has a different style (purpose) that makes things clear to the reader. I would recommend this book to someone who is grea...more
Kaligolo
I didn't know Asimov wrote crime stories. Well, he did. A ton of them, published as collections of short stories over the years.

The Black Windowers are a group of friends from various professions and social circles, who gather once a month in an Italian restaurant for their traditional dinner. The only rule being: no women. Each month (and each short story), one of the members invites a guests, who turns out to have a mystery to solve.

First, I like how diverse the mysteries are. It's not (only)...more
Giacomo Boccardo
Questa è la prima volta che leggo qualcosa di Asimov che non sia legato alla fantascienza. Si tratta, infatti, di una raccolta di racconti gialli che vengono esposti, discussi e risolti nell'ambito delle riunioni di un gruppo di conoscenti che si autodefiniscono scherzosamente "Vedovi Neri", anche perché a tali incontri non possono prendere parte le rispettive mogli.
Ad ogni ritrovo, a turno, uno degli appartenenti a tale club ha la possibilità di portare un ospite che dovrà accettare di farsi in...more
J.
The idea of the stories told-round-the-table is interesting, and Asimov is careful to have the members ask every possible question to exclude every possibility, but this brings two problems: the first is that, in trying to exclude every possibility, sometimes someone has to say silly things like, "There's no way John could have stolen the gold--he is too short." It's supposed to tell the members that that isn't a possibility, but it's frequently awkwardly unconvincing for the reader. Also, the b...more
Aries
Come ho scritto più volte Asimov è uno dei miei scrittori preferiti: la sua fantascienza è alla base della mia passione per il genere ed il suo modo di fare divulgazione scientifica ha sempre dimostrato come sia possibile esporre argomenti anche difficili in maniera appassionante.Ma Asimov era anche un autore di gialli: già nel ciclo di Lucky Starr aveva fuso il genere fantascientifico e quello più squisitamente del giallo, ma sicuramente il suo maggior risultato fu coi racconti dei Vedovi Neri....more
allimo
These are wonderful. I've been a big fan of the mystery short story genre since about kindergarten when I first picked up an Encyclopedia Brown book, and I thought I'd pretty much exhausted my supply by devouring all the Holmes stories in elementary/middle school and nearly every Poirot throughout college. It's wonderful to find more - of which, interestingly, I'd actually read one previously in a "Detective Stories" anthology that had stuck with me for ages. I remembered the story but had forgo...more
Allan Krummenacker
Isaac Asimov was one of the most prolific of writers. Known mostly for his Robots and Foundation series and other science fiction classics, he was also a master of the short story mystery. In his Black Widowers series, he introduced us to a group of gentlemen who one night every month, leave their wives to themselves and gather to eat a wonderful meal together. Their waiter, an unassuming fellow named Henry, serves his 'gentlemen' with an easy professional manner.

These men all come from differe...more
Alan Smith
Every month, the all-male society dining club known as the "Black Widowers" (based on a group of SF writers known as "The Trap Door Spiders" of which Asimov himself was a member) meet for a gargantuan feast.

And each month, whoever is acting as host not only chooses the menu, but brings along a guest. And said guest always - without fail - has some mystery,conundrum or problem that the members of the club try to solve.

And, despite their huge collective ability and intelligence, they always end u...more
Elizabeth McDonald
Isaac Asimov - writing mysteries! What more can I say? When I found this book at the library, it was like a personal present from the universe to me. Asimov's style is highly influence (he admits this himself) by Agatha Christie, with each mystery serving as a puzzle.

Each of the short stories in this volume (and its sequels) deals with the Black Widowers' Club, a fictional group of men who meet monthly for dinner with one guest. Invariably, the guest has some puzzle; in variably, the intellectua...more
Jaime
Asimov may be best known for his science fiction, but he was also a master of murder mysteries. Each Black Widowers book is an anthology of short stories with the same group of characters. The "Black Widowers" is a men's club that meets once a month to host a guest for dinner. Each guest always has a mystery that needs to be solved, and the butler Henry (also a club member) always solves it. These mysteries are heavily based on logic and are actually more puzzles than mysteries. Readers have to...more
Paleomichi
Asimov cresce sempre di più nella mia stima. Oltre al grandissimo scrittore di fantascienza che tutti conosciamo, allo spiritoso ma bravo scienziato che molti conoscono, questo libro ne dimostra le grandi capacità di giallista. Già in altri romanzi (ad esempio "Abissi d'acciaio", "Il sole nudo") Asimov aveva sviluppato trame "gialle" in ambientazione fantascientifica, ma in questi racconti dei Vedovi Neri l'ambientazione è molto più classica. Un gruppo di amici, 12 casi curiosi (non necessariame...more
Ensiform
After reading Asimov's autobiography, I was intrigued by the idea of these tales: longtime friends meet at a club every month, and each time some mystery (usually very minor) comes up, and Henry, the respectful, efficient waiter, solves it. I read with relief that it was not nearly as Wodehousian as the outline made it seem; the Black Widowers are not fools, and Henry is very much allowed to be one of them. Still, he was obviously inspired by Jeeves. Anyway, I liked the stories; some had solutio...more
Matias
I had such high hopes that this book was going to be clever and filled with unspected endings...
All I have to say is: BLEH! You could have done so much better Ikey...
Robin
The stories in this collection were entertaining, but each one pretty much ended the same way (and started, then proceeded the same way for that matter). The mysteries were fun, but the single one mystery I picked this book up for (I'll leave to your own guesses) did not live up to expectations nor unveil any insights into the longstated mystery of the missing bishops.
Lastly, the few stories that made this book but were never in a magazine did not live up to the quality of the other stories.
Woul...more
Laurel Wolfe
Fantastic! Love Isaac Asimov!
Portobellord
This is my second Asimov book and it truly surprised me. I was expecting a sci-fi tale and got instead a group of engaging gentlemen sitting in their club solving (well really the waiter solves everything for them) little mysteries. None of the mysteries are very hard to solve, but the group of characters and their interactions with each other are splendid. I very much loved this book of short stories. I especially liked Asmimov's little asides about each story. He seems like he would have been...more
Christophe

Les six membres du " club des Veufs noirs " ne sont pas nécessairement veufs ni même célibataires, mais ils se réunissent chaque mois entre eux pour boire, dîner et... résoudre des énigmes, grâce, le plus souvent, au concours de l'inégalable Henry, leur maître d'hôtel.
A travers ces " pièces de conversation " sans équivalent, on retrouve la grand Asimov : astucieusement rationnel, logique avec humour, merveilleusement intelligent.

Mazel
pal de noël...

Présentation de l'éditeur :

Les Veufs Noirs, ce sont six hommes, ni veufs ni forcément célibataires, qui se réunissent pour manger, boire, bavarder... et résoudre les énigmes que vient leur présenter leur invité.

En marge de l'immense oeuvre de science-fiction qui l'a consacré, Isaac Asimov a lorgné du côté d'Hercule Poirot et de ses " petites cellules grises " pour concocter ces soixante bijoux d'astuce et d'humour.
Beatrice Moony
Se non aveste mai avuto il piacere di leggere Asimov, basterebbe la sola introduzione ad amare questo scrittore. Un vero maestro della letteratura, un uomo ironico capace di cimentarsi con successo nei molteplici generi della narrativa. Il racconto scorre con la stessa eleganza dei suoi protagonisti, fra un pranzo e l'altro, essenziale ed allo stesso tempo ironico. Una lettura piacevole come the e biscotti delle cinque.
Susan
This is the first collection of Asimov's amusing short stories about members of a dining club whose guests bring them puzzles or mysteries. Many have low stakes, although there are some surprisingly serious crimes involved. Further collections followed as the prolific Asimov turned out many of these short tales.
Djiezes
Dutch Title : "The Zwarte Weduwnaars"

Contains the following stories:
Wie het laatst lacht
Nep Doctor
Om de waarheid te zeggen
De man die lucifersboekjes verzamelde
Zondagochten vroeg
De voor-de-hand-liggende factor
De wijzende vinger
Lullaby of Broadway
Yankee Doodle
De curieuze weglating
Uit het oog
Judith Whitten
Wonderful series, the same men meet monthly over a meal and interview a guest. There is always a mystery to be solved as the guest is asked how they "justify their life". I always look for this series in old bookstores and give away copies every chance I get.
Kathywelch
If you love mysteries and haven't tried Asimov, you've missed one of the great minds at work. The Black Widow mysteries are incredibly complex for a short as the stories are and all are so tightly woven that practically every sentence is a clue.
Andrea
This was my fourth or fifth reread of this book but I find I don't have much to say beyond that I like the conciet of a dinner where men from different walks of life play detective and their genius waiter, Henry.
Hayley
This has some of the best short stories I have ever read. I would recommend it to anyone who likes solving puzzles and likes twists in their stories. Asimov creates a group that is both diverse and similar.
Sumi
A collection of short mystery stories set in the dining room of gentlemen who meet regularly. A light mystery is introduced and all the men try to work it out, but the person with the answers is their waiter.
  • A Family Affair (Nero Wolfe, #46)
  • Killer Dolphin (Roderick Alleyn, #24)
  • The Day It Rained Forever
  • The Inheritor (Occult Tales, #2)
  • The Trouble Twisters
  • Jimmy The Kid (Dortmunder, #3)
  • The Bride Wore Black
  • Gratuitous Epilogue (Touchstone, #Extra)
  • Raffles: The Amateur Cracksman
  • The Wind From the Sun (GOLLANCZ S.F.)

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te...more
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)