Start by marking “My Kind of Girl” as Want to Read:

My Kind of Girl

"[Written] with consummate mastery. . . . A gem of delight. . . . Bose stokes the embers of the story alive till the last page."
—Indian Express

A modern-day Bengali Decameron, My Kind of Girl is a sensitive and vibrant novella containing four disarming accounts of unrequited love. In a railway station one bleak December night, four strangers from different walks of life - a
Published November 30th 2010 by Archipelago Books (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about My Kind of Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Kind of Girl

Rowena
Jul 29, 2015 Rowena rated it liked it
Shelves: indian-lit

"And yet it was in Bengal that I was born, that I grew up, that the first chapter of my life was spent. Back then, in that distant childhood, could I ever have imagined myself as I am now? Nor, for that matter, can I now picture that boy, that shy young man, as the first edition of myself. All those memories seemed to have been wiped clean, I thought I had forgotten them all-- but suddenly, after our conversation, it's all come back so clearly."

This was a relatively short and simple r
Smita Beohar
Jul 09, 2009 Smita Beohar rated it it was amazing
My Kind of Girl

Author: Buddhadeva Bose (In Bengali)
Translated to English: Arunava Sinha
Publication: Random House India
Price: 350/-

I always saw this book cooling its heels in the rack of my book store. The cover & packaging was classy and so was the price. I always felt that for a 171 page book the price was too much. And then on a rainy day I picked the book sat on red couch of the book store & was hooked to it in no time. Needless to say the book was bought & possessed.

On a cold Dec
Ryan
Apr 30, 2011 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Four men, complete strangers to each other, were stranded on a night train. They met a young couple ("clearly newlyweds") who appeared very much in love. This sight of the couple triggered memories for each of them. They began reflecting about love. They decided to pass the time sharing stories with each other. Each of the four stories that followed was rendered in very simple yet beautiful prose. They were all simple tales but together they form a subtle whole.

Romantic love is the subject of My
Stacia
May 12, 2014 Stacia rated it liked it
My Kind of Girl is ok -- a very mild, unassuming set of stories that four men stuck in a train station share to pass the time during a long, cold night. The book was originally published in 1951 & the almost knight-like quality of putting women on a pedestal from afar is certainly reflected in the modest stories these men tell, stories prompted by them seeing a couple in love, stories they share of some type of love from their own pasts. Supposedly Bose was/is considered one of the great tal ...more
Darryl
Nov 18, 2010 Darryl rated it really liked it
On a cold December night four strangers, a contractor, a government official, a doctor, and a "writer", find themselves stranded in a railway station in a small mid-20th century Indian town. The men sat together in a compartment during the first portion of their journey, and decide to keep each other company for the night, while they await the morning train that will carry them to their final destinations. As they sip coffee, the door of the station opens, and a young couple, clearly in love, br ...more
Winna
Feb 21, 2013 Winna rated it really liked it
I love this book. The premise is intriguing and after years of just putting it on my wishlist, I finally ordered and bought it.

With clean but sophisticated prose (I'm reading the translated version), the author manages to convey four people's love stories in such a simplistic way. I enjoy reading each story and the meaning in them, what love means to each person and how their love story begins, then ends. My favorite is the first and second stories, and my least favorite is the fourth but someho
Adam
A quiet, lovely stories-on-a-theme book from India. Stuck in a train depot on a cold night, four middle aged men each recount the tale of a girl from their youth, that One Girl that each of them could never forget. As a whole, the book achieves a vivid, wistful, bittersweet tone. The stories--dealing with memories of adolescence and early adulthood years--all center on the conflict between the Ideal and the Real, on the “mystery of womanhood,” and on those turning-point decisions, roads that are ...more
Capítulo IV
"La manera de narrar del autor indio es efectiva y sobria, huye de los dramatismos y consigue distinguir bien a los cuatro protagonistas". Más en https://capitulocuarto.wordpress.com/...
Portia Renee Robillard
May 09, 2011 Portia Renee Robillard rated it really liked it
Bose writes with clarity, simplicity, and tenderness concerning matters of the heart, and the unexpected paths life takes. My Kind of Girl is a novella perfect for escaping with into a lazy, reminiscing sort of afternoon.
Mar
Jun 26, 2017 Mar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: año-2014, narrativa
Cuatro hombres de profesiones distintas se ven obligados a pasar la noche juntos en la sala de espera de una estación de tren, y cada uno de ellos narra la historia de amor de juventud que les marcó. Ninguna especialmente romántica a mi parecer. No tiene más.
S M Hridoy
Dec 16, 2016 S M Hridoy rated it really liked it
মোনালিসা,
আমি ছাড়া কে তোমাকে মনে রেখেছে ।।
Dhiraj Sharma
Jun 18, 2013 Dhiraj Sharma rated it really liked it
What exactly is Love, is it the feeling that bounds two hearts together, does it need to be expressed or reciprocated, is a mere glance sufficient enough to infer the feeling of love.

“My Kind of Girl” is about four passengers stranded during the dead of the night at a Railway waiting room .

A newly married couple briefly enters the waiting room and leave in a jiffy making these men reminiscence about their own young days when they were in love with someone. Each of these four men then narrates t
Parthena
Apr 19, 2011 Parthena rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those who like to read about India and or relationships.
Shelves: shorties, culture, 2012
I'm not sure why this book is called My Kind of Girl. In any event I am pleased to have read it.

There are some touching stories in this novella. My favourite is Makhanlal's Sad Tale.

My Kind of Girl is made up of untraditional tales of love that are at times romantic. There is also exploration of life in India.

I recommend it to those who like to read about India and or relationships.
Roanna
Jan 10, 2015 Roanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ashwita Hosbettu
Recommended to Roanna by: Pooja T.
I enjoyed this book so very much... Each story is beautifully told! Bittersweet stories; I really did like all of them, the third and fourth ones - the best - and then, the first and second ones. (An observation: Bits of the fourth story reminded me of Prince Ahmed and the Fairy Pari Banu... Did anyone else think so, too?)
Caroline
Nov 29, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it
Translated from Bengali, 4 men, strangers stranded in a waiting room when their train is delayed, pass the time by telling a story from their past of a girl they had loved and lost, loved from afar, or loved and won. Very well written and the stories are captivating.
Abhaga
Jul 06, 2014 Abhaga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-challenge
Arunava Sinha's translation reads very well. I can't comment on how faithful it is to the original but it flows, never seems awkward.

The beauty here is not in the plot but in the story telling. Simple stories beautifully told.
Jose
Feb 10, 2011 Jose rated it really liked it
Livro para quem vai amar, ama, ou já amou. Combinação de quatro histórias contadas por quatro homens durante uma noite fria em uma estação de trem: burocrata, médico, empreiteiro, escritor. No background, a Índia em transformação, se modernizando.
Feb 12, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-sell, 5-reais
Beautiful stories that give you an insight on India, even if from another era :)
Frederique
I liked it a lot.It was an easy read, and really deep. But some stories were rather "weak" compare to other, really touching and quite universal.
Hector San Martin
Apr 05, 2011 Hector San Martin rated it it was amazing
yo soy una mezcla de Gagan Baran y Ramen. Muy bueno, muy muy bueno.
Jai Khatri
Oct 04, 2012 Jai Khatri rated it it was ok
This book had rave reviews when I came across it but it didn't speak very loudly to me. Lacked imagery and descriptions of the very lush culture it depicts. Meh.
Marta
Mar 06, 2012 Marta rated it liked it
Made me want to move to India...beautifully written and rich with detail
Tahmina Begum
Feb 24, 2015 Tahmina Begum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a collection of short stories in one. Nice read when you don't want to read something heavy. Going to definitely read Bengali translations more.
Julia
Apr 20, 2012 Julia rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, philosophic book on love, life and memories. Clear well-crafted prose which makes the book a fast read which one wants to savour at the same time.
Chinmaya Lal
Sep 12, 2016 Chinmaya Lal rated it liked it
There are four stories told through the frame of four travellers stuck in a railway station. Two of these stories are interesting and hold the reader's attention. The other two barely make a mark.
Louise
Apr 12, 2011 Louise rated it it was ok
Marginal. If it was more than 150 pages, I wouldn't have finished it. 5.5 out of 10
Pooja T
Jan 27, 2014 Pooja T rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Meenakshi
Meenakshi rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Archipelago Books
Archipelago Books rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Debarati
Debarati rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2014
  • The Waitress Was New
  • The Indians: Portrait of a People
  • Confessions of a Listmaniac - The Life and Times of Layla the Ordinary
  • A Bend in the Ganges
Buddhadeva Bose (also spelt Buddhadeb Bosu) (Bengali: বুদধদেব বসু) was a major Bengali writer of the 20th century. Frequently referred to as a poet, he was a versatile writer who wrote novels, short stories, plays and essays in addition to poetry. He was an influential critic and editor of his time. He is recognized as one of the five poets who moved to introduce modernity into Bengali poetry. It ...more
More about Buddhadeva Bose...

“Love story? When it's as cold as this? Fine, all right.” 1 likes