Start by marking “Snake in the Glass (A Glassblowing Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Snake in the Glass (A Glassblowing Mystery, #3)

Snake in the Glass (A Glassblowing Mystery #3)

When a nervous stranger appears at Emmeline Dowell's glassblowing studio begging to use her kiln for an experimental gem treatment, Em finds it a little odd, though nothing to be alarmed about. After all, the annual Gem Show is in town, and everyone in Tucson seems obsessed by it. Besides, Em's too worried about her missing brother Cameron to pay much attention, until a de

Published September 1st 2009 by Berkley Books (first published August 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Snake in the Glass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snake in the Glass

Kimberly Yates
This is book 3 in the Glassblowing Cozy Mysteries. I liked them all.. What I liked most was that they take place in Arizona.

The author did a great job instilling what the main character, Em's glassblowing shop looks like and I would totally love to visit it even though it isn't real. Em lives in the upper portion of the shop and the downstairs houses her equipment for making glass items and where her classes are held. There is also a portion there where she sells her glass work, and so people
Jane Night
The characters in the book are interesting and the mystery was pretty good. I liked the interesting facts about peridot at the beginning of every chapter. I also was intrigued by Emmeline’s job. She is a glassblower which was something I knew next to nothing about before I picked up this book.

The above points were the main reason I finished the book. I thought that the story was excessively long and that the pacing was much too slow. It felt like it took FOREVER for the story to actually start a
Michelle Randall
Book three in the Glassblowing Mystery series is as well-written and interesting as the previous books, and I enjoyed the cast of characters that are central to the storyline.

Em, is flying home from Ireland. She and Allison had went on a short vacation to reconnect with Allison's family and to heal some of her old wounds, but much to the dismay of Em and the rest of the cast, Allison has decided to stay on a little longer, which sends Cam, Em's brother and boyfriend to Allison, off in a sulk.

Unc
Patty
Oct 21, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Em comes home from a vacation in Ireland with some bad news for her brother Cam, Alison has decided to stay there instead of come home with Em.

Cam takes this very hard and takes off to be by himself for a while. Meanwhile, Em is trying to get back into her glassblowing business, her relationship with Matt and generally normal life.

When a strange man stops in and asks if he can rent some time with Em's glass furnaces life turns very strange. After about a week of being gone both Alison (who came
Michelle
May 15, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This is the third book in the Glassblowing series. Em has returned from Ireland without Allison, and has to tell her brother, who is moving to Tucson to be with his girlfriend, that she does not know when she will be coming back. Cam leaves in a huff to do a contract project prior to the start of his new job. In the meantime, a professor asks to use some of Em's equipment to try to heat treat peridot stones to change their color. When Cam disappears and a body is found in the desert with stones ...more
Linda
Nov 05, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge, bingo
I really enjoyed this entry in the series. It was fun learning about peridot (my birth stone) which is what all the mystery centered around. I was right there with Em the whole time and didn't figure things out until she did. There were a couple of editing errors but overall a good story that was a lot of fun.
Carol
Oct 08, 2009 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
Or maybe one and a half stars. There are some things I like about this Glassblowing Mystery series - the characters, the sensible approach to solving the mystery, the glassblowing information. But I became very bored in the middle of this book and skipped ahead to read just the last few chapters. Then I decided I didn't need to go back and read the parts I skipped. I'm on the fence on whether I'll read the next book in the series, might give it the benefit of the doubt, but this one was not a go ...more
Kathryn
Even though this is the third book in the series, and having not yet read the first two, I never felt like I was missing anything. The story focuses around the semi-precious gemstone peridot. At the beginning of each chapter there is a tidbit of information about peridot which I found very interesting. I had a problem with only one plot point which I will not go into, for fear of spoiling the mystery. All in all a good little cozy mystery.
Linda
Jan 01, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy these mysteries featuring a Tucson, Arizone glassblower who manages to get herself embroiled in a murder. This time it has to do with gems, specially peridot, and the Tucson Gem Show. With the help of her boyfriend,(who happens to be the police chief), and assorted friends and family, Em tracks down a killer and unravels a gem of a mystery.
Christa
This is another series, where the main character, a woman, has some other profession, but solves crimes anyway. You also learn a little about glass blowing techniques and lingo.
Some added suspense to this book is her missing brother.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I'm really at lost as to whether I like this series more than the "Orchard Series" by Sheila Connolly. I think I like them both equally. Very clever writing. I look forward to more episodes.
Mark Macatee
It was okay. The ending was a bit dissatisfying but the characters remained good. I did not like that Em was basically not part of the wrap up at all.
Susan
Ms. Atwell needs to get on the ball and write another one. I enjoyed this series very much and want to find out more about Emma.
Lynne
Sep 04, 2013 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun book by this author. This time you learn about gemstones--peridot to be exact.
Vicky
Oct 01, 2009 Vicky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wasa much better read than the previous two attempts.I enjoyed this novel,
Laurie
Jul 14, 2010 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, not complicated read. Loved the glass blowing information.
Mary  (Biblophile)
I found this one rather boring and slow moving.
Sherry Markowitz
Oct 03, 2009 Sherry Markowitz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
loisa
loisa added it
Sep 23, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Lois
Lois rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Alicia Dennis
Alicia Dennis marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Jody
Jody marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Chriss
Chriss added it
Jun 26, 2016
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
  • Dipped, Stripped, and Dead (A Daring Finds Mystery, #1)
  • Death Swatch (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #6)
  • Snuffed Out (A Candlemaking Mystery, #2)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • Fatal Feng Shui (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #5)
  • Let's Play Dead (Museum, #2)
  • Death by Sudoku
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Shoe Done It (An Accessories Mystery #1)
  • Dial Om for Murder (Mantra for Murder, #2)
  • Grace Interrupted (Manor House Mystery, #2)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Ghastly Glass (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #2)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
A pseudonym used by Sheila Connolly.
As Sarah Atwell, author of the new Berkley Prime Crime Glassblower Series, in March 2008. The first sequel, Pane of Death, will be published in November 2008.

Under Sheila Connolly, One Bad Apple, Berkley Prime Crime, came out in August 2008."
More about Sarah Atwell...

A Glassblowing Mystery (3 books)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Pane of Death (A Glassblowing Mystery, #2)