Start by marking “The Summit” as Want to Read:
The Summit

The Summit

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It's one of the greatest challenges one can face on Earth: an ascent to the top of the world on the slopes of Mount Everest. Eric Alexander experienced grace and a faith-empowering journey he will never forget as part of a record-setting team in May 2001, scaling the heights of Everest with his friend, blind climber Erik Weihenmayer.

Experience some of the most dangerous

Published November 1st 2010 by New Leaf Publishing Group (first published September 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Summit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summit

Kathryn
"The Summit" is full of experiences that really make you think. Descriptions of the ascent are wonderfully written and you can almost feel the cold and see your breath! The life lessons in this book are wonderfully taught and wonderfully rendered in a difficult to put down book! I loved it.
Debbie
"The Summit" is a memoir by a man who has climbed some of the tallest and most difficult mountains in the world...and usually with a blind person on his team. His vivid descriptions of the various climbs gives the reader a good idea of what climbing extremely high mountains is like (both the good and the bad) and the special challenges created by climbing with a blind climber.

The author gave details about his climbs up Mt. Ama Dablam (including blind Eric W.), Mt. Everest (up to base camp, inclu
Linda
If you want the experience of a lifetime, read Eric Alexander’s book, The Summit, his account of climbing Mt. Everest while guiding his blind friend, Erik Weihenmayer. Only thing better would be to do the climb yourself!

Eric’s book is full of the excitement, dangers, health issues, blinding snowstorms, etc., all while out on the ledges of Mt. Everest and other mountains, either walking, climbing, or tented down in camp. This experience is not for the timid, faint-of-heart, or those terrified of
Bee
This is hard for me, which is probably why I've put it off. I received this book as a goodreads giveaway and I was extremely excited to read it. But I think it's important for people to see all sides of opinions: I don't think many people write bad reviews-sure they write mediocre reviews, but I couldn't finish this book.

The Story Telling is Good
First it's important to give credit where credit is due: Eric Alexander can tell a good story when he finally gets going: He made me laugh and cry, but
April
I won this book in the goodreads first read contests. :0) I honestly entered to win it because my friend heather was dying to get her hands on this.. go figure, we both won it..

this isn't the sort of book I normally read, but I think it will be a nice change of pace from the other genres I tend to stick too. Looking foward to giving this one and try, and plan on reading it as soon as it arrives. :)

_________________________________________

Just recieved this in the mail today. Thank you! Ill be u
Jerry Huffman
I recommend watching some videos on various mountaineering and Everest expeditions before reading the book. This would give some important background that would be otherwise easily overlooked when reading the book. And would help understand just how dangerous it is to attempt climbing Mount Everest.

At first I was skeptical about spending time reading this book. But now that I am finished, I find it to be an amazing testimony to faith in the Lord, genuine teamwork, and perseverance. In my opinio
David Gwartney
The Summit is the account of climber Eric Alexander's attempt to climb Mount Everest with his blind friend. The author does a wonder job of not only guiding his friend through the many obstacles that Everest presents, but also guides the reader through these same obstacles. The reader is left with a new appreciation of just what it takes to climb a mountain of this magnitude. After reading this book, I found a Nova documentary called The Death Zone that traces many of the same steps the author d ...more
Rachel Meyer
A good friend of mine is friends with the other Eric in this book!!!! Such a fantastic read!
Mark
Jan 03, 2015 Mark added it
Great stories and work Eric!
Kathbick
This was the latest of many books I have read on Mt Everest. It took me a while to finish, but couldn't put it down at the end. There are some wonderful reflections on teamwork, character, Christian faith, prayer and God. After reading this I have decided I will never attempt Everest as I don't know how I would go if I had to choose between rescuing someone and my summit attempt! I will stick to reading of others adventures!
Jenny
This is a free book from the Goodreads First Reads giveaways!
A motivational story about mountain climbing that gets a bit "preachy" at times. I did enjoy reading about the various mountains around the world that the author has scaled, since it's something that I would never do myself. It was also very impressive about the team (including a blind man) that reached the top of Everest while breaking several records.
Heather
i wont this book yesterday on Goodreads giveaways. i thoroughly enjoy books regarding real-life accounts of mountain climbing and i am quite positive that this one will not disappoint me!

this one took a little longer to read than expected. while the passion of these climbers was in abundance, the writing made it hard to get and hold my attention.
Lisa
Very interesting when people have such passion for something as this author does. He has climbed seven of the largest summits in the world, one of course being Mt. Everest. And he helped guide a blind man there also. He shows a great faith in God which is refreshing and is just very inspirational.
Bminotti
Amazing how the author from a mountain climbing experience related to my own struggles in life and helped me see things a little more clear! Terrific perspective when your life is on the line and you are focused on other's needs. We can all get something from that!
Eric Alexander
I wrote it so I therefore I like it. I gave it five stars only because it is mine - I look forward to hearing what others think.
Eliana
Dec 01, 2010 Eliana marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of The Summit in a Goodreads pre-read form.
Jason
Great book, awesome inspiration, and encouragement in ones faith.
J
J marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
M Miles
M Miles marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Holly Rusak
Holly Rusak marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Kwinters58
Kwinters58 is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Summit: Faith Beyond Everest's Death Zone Ealexb's Nolove Storm Over Babylon Dead Center Please May I Have My Football Back: The Record 125 Years of the Alexander Family at Manchester City