Start by marking “Mom, They're Teasing Me: Helping Your Child Solve Social Problems” as Want to Read:
Mom, They're Teasing Me: Helping Your Child Solve Social Problems

Mom, They're Teasing Me: Helping Your Child Solve Social Problems

From the acclaimed authors of Best Friends, Worst Enemies, here is the perfect companion volume: a practical, how-to guide for parents to help their children navigate the sometimes harsh terrain of social life at school, on the playground, and in the neighborhood.

Almost everyone agrees (and remembers): Childhood can be a traumatic time. Kids frequently face peer rejection,
Published December 18th 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Mom, They're Teasing Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mom, They're Teasing Me

Gena
Aug 09, 2012 Gena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the authors' perspective in these issues. I guess the book is somewhat reassuring. My impression is that it is better at giving guidelines about when to vs. when not to get involved rather than what should be done. Some of the question/answer sections are valuable if your kid is having that particular problem. More valuable than the last book on the subject that I read...
Zoe
May 09, 2013 Zoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book for anyone who wants to understand the "big picture" surrounding bullying in schools and in society. Instead of consoling targets and punishing bullies, this book advocates preventive measures for bullies and the empowerment of targets. I am starting to see that regular, consistent training for members of any social group (such as an elementary school classroom) in positive social skills is a must. This book is going to become part of my permanent tool box.
Danielle
Oct 28, 2016 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was not what I expected, or exactly what I was looking for, but it was still extremely interesting and helpful! I picked up this book because my 7 year old daughter has been saying "no one likes me" and "I have no friends" a lot lately. But all the evidence points to the contrary- she appears to make friends very easily, has almost no social fear, and is always playing with whatever other kids are around! So I wanted to get to the bottom of this, and see if there's anything I can/shoul ...more
Shana
Apr 18, 2015 Shana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seems more useful for teachers than parents, also while he has measured counsel on a few points, his viewpoint is sort of negative, that kids are horrid and cruel. I think a more current book (post Wonder) would highlight the power parents, teachers and kids have to see beyond and be kinder and more inclusive. Maybe I am naive. I was looking for tips for my child who has a sometimes visible ailment that her classmates notice and found nothing of use for how she can better deal with questions com ...more
Melissa
May 28, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This book was insightful in distinguishing between what is normal and abnormal in childhood social situations. It was helpful in illustrating many of the situations children experience in elementary, jr. high and high school. It also made me realize that often what we think might be a traumatizing situation for our child turns out to be not that bad. My only wish was that there was a little more advice on how to help children cope with the all too real pain of exclusion and teasing.
Myfanwy
Jul 21, 2010 Myfanwy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Excellent, helpful book. One of the things I find most challenging about being a parent are the social issues my child faces in interacting with other children. This book gives great advice for parents and educators in helping children through the ups and downs of social living without living their childhood for them (or imposing your own childhood woes on them).
Ling
Apr 14, 2016 Ling rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is nice and helps parents understanding kids' social world. However, it is not as scientific or helpful as I expected. The answers to many of the questions either wander away from the topics in question or sound like "common sense" to me. Not many suggestions are practical either.
Doni
Feb 08, 2011 Doni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the most realistic representation of childhood I've ever read. But I felt that most of the advice was how to have a more accurate perception of what was going on in your child's life, not as much how to help him or her change what was going on for the better.
Ruth
Feb 03, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
A great book for teachers to read.
Karen
May 19, 2011 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Interesting discussion of what is truly problematic and what is just "normal social pain".
Debbie
Mar 21, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
The book was a good read but as others said, there is not much take-away information in it.
Kim Felton
Kim Felton rated it it was ok
Apr 17, 2008
Nadine
Nadine rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2010
Alice Xing
Alice Xing rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2017
Kjdavis
Kjdavis rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2011
Christi
Christi rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Lynne Anderson
Lynne Anderson rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Abruntrager
Abruntrager rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Dana Duell
Dana Duell rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Tynan Power
Tynan Power rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2011
Sabrina Condon
Sabrina Condon rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2014
Beth Schiavo
Beth Schiavo rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Emilie
Emilie rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2009
Ana Maria
Ana Maria rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2016

psychologist, school consultant and international speaker on the subjects of children, schools and parenting
More about Michael G. Thompson...