Start by marking “Making Contact” as Want to Read:
Making Contact

Making Contact

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  125 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Everyone knows that love can turn your world upside down, but it can also be literally out of this world! In this selection of M/M science fiction short stories, there's romance among the shooting stars, love that matches the glory of the spheres, and passion that burns like the largest of suns, and making first contact takes on a whole new meaning.

Better Than Cola
By JL
Published August 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Making Contact, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Making Contact

SlashReader: This is one of those anthologies that I both loved and hated. I liked the range and variety of ideas that existed between its pages. However, it was one of those that struck me as really simply being all about the sex. The forgone conclusion in each story was the fact that characters were going to jump each other. While I do not mind reading such thing, I find anthologies in which all the stories are only there for the sex, tire some. But, there are plenty of people out there who wo ...more
kasjo_peja
Jan 23, 2012 kasjo_peja rated it it was amazing
One of the very, very few anthologies I've read from the beginning till the end. That in itself is a testament of its quality. Imaginative, funny, engaging, moving... there wasn't a story there I didn't like. Their rating ranged from 4 (Better Than Cola by JL Merrow) to 5.5 (Revolving Realities by Cari Z. and The Monsters Below by Lyn Gala).
I can't think of another m\m anthology, apart from Sindustry I & II, that I enjoyed so much.
Julesmarie
Nov 25, 2012 Julesmarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, sci-fi, anthologies
My new favorite M/M anthology!

I was astounded at the worlds and the characters these authors were able to create in such short works.

I like to buy anthologies so I can have shorter stories to read before bed--so I won't stay up too late unable to put down whatever book I'm reading. That totally backfired with this anthology! Each story was so good, I didn't want to stop, and ended up finishing the whole thing way too fast.

One of my favorite things was the beautiful diversity among all of the sto
Neyjour

Feral by K.R. Foster:
[science fantasy]

Ganymede’s Honor by Corneli
Liz (Bugetta)
This only reviews the first three stories since that's as far as I got before it disappeared from Scibd (I think it's out of print now).
Better Than Cola by JL Merrow was odd, but I really liked Revolving Realities by Cari Z. and The Sacrifice by Sue Brown. Wish I'd gotten to read the rest, especially Lyn Gala's story. I hope she self-publishes it. :)
Sue Brown
Jan 02, 2011 Sue Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
It was the first book I contributed to, but I had to rate it. I loved the other stories, particular Cornelia Grey.
Driima
Tough one because some stories I liked - others not so much.
Better Than Cola by J.L. Merrow: (very special because of the alien species chosen, started out very promising but unfortunaty continued without a plot I was able to enjoy)(view spoiler)
Revolving Realities by Cari Z.: (actually a nice story, just felt too short for this kind of plot)
The Sacrifice by Sue Brown: (nice little story)
Alone by Andrea Speed: (
Paris
Aug 28, 2011 Paris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, kindle
UPDATE: I finally did it. I finished it. It's been a struggle, but yesterday I read the last story, which is actually the best story of them all (Ganymede's Honor by Cornelia Grey). The other two that I can say I kinda liked are Alone by Andrea Speed and The Monsters Below by Lyn Gala.

Short stories are harder to write. You need to squeeze a full story onto few pages. Let's see how this anthology turned out. I will review as I read. Here we go:

1) BETTER THAN COLA by JL Merrow
It's so short that I
Andi
Aug 16, 2010 Andi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eros-rising
I feel a little odd about reviewing this anthology, since I have a story in it. But leaving that one uncommented upon, I thought this anthology was really great. I have not read a lot in the sci-fi area of m/m romance, although I've always been a big sci-fi fan in general, so I was delighted to find that the stories in this anthology stack up extremely well qua science fiction, as well as qua m/m romance.

The stories cover a lot of territory--from the difficulties of adapting to alien cultures, t
T.A. Webb
Oct 13, 2011 T.A. Webb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very lovely stories. Best of which is The Monsters Below by Lyn Gala. There are ten stories included in this anthology and all show the writers as skilled and imaginative. Love hate lust and passion show up in surprising ways. I read this book late at night with no interruptions and only a reading lamp on in my house. Some stories left me satisfied and some stayed with me. The Monsters Below was worth the price of admission by itself. While the premise of each of these stories is alien and human ...more
Violet Hilton
May 14, 2012 Violet Hilton rated it it was amazing
A very solid anthology - only wish I hadn't been impatient and had bought the paperback version. Enjoyed all of the stories, though didn't quite connect on an emotional level with the character in Feral.

The Monsters Below by Lyn Gala deserves special mention as it brought me to tears in the best way possible. This story was one of the most perfectly written tales I've had the pleasure of reading. The characters, the pacing, the action, the world building and the overall storytelling blew me awa
Alison
Apr 01, 2016 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved it and could not put it down.

Every story was different and well written, some almost going back the the style of the original sci-fi writers where what you thought would or should happen didn't, or caused something unexpected.

Sue Brown's "The Sacrifice" was wonderful (she was the reason I actually picked it up after debating it for months), and I will definately be re-reading the anthology a time or three in the future.

It's a must read for any sci-fi lovers and I would recomm
BTina
Feral by K.R. Foster - 2 stars
Ganymede’s Honor by Cornelia Grey - 3,8 stars
Clover
Aug 11, 2010 Clover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
all the stories were great, but the "Monster" one was really creepy. I still have mixed feelings about the way the story ends.
I hope all the authors will continue to write :)
Melanie
Sep 19, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Rating: 4.25 to 4.5 stars

Great anthology

Read my review at http://scatteredthoughtsandroguewords... on 9/20/2012
Kiki
Oct 08, 2010 Kiki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some very good stories, some very so-so stories
Nightcolors
4.5 stars.
Mark p
Mark p marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Jodi
Jodi added it
Jun 22, 2016
LOLA
LOLA marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Skm
Skm added it
Jun 06, 2016
Elliot Cooper
Elliot Cooper rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Suz
Suz marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Pikafr
Pikafr marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Alyxandria
Alyxandria rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2016
David Brown
David Brown marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Desiree  Foster
Desiree Foster marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Gift
Gift rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Noelle
Noelle marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Wunderlust
Wunderlust marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
  • Games In The Dark
  • All Wrapped Up
  • Wishing on a Blue Star
  • The Care and Feeding of Demons
  • Curious?: A Woman's Introduction to Gay Romance (includes: Ryan & Scott, #1)
  • Far from Home
  • Make Me a Match, vol. 2 (Make Me a Match)
  • Torqued Tales: Twisted Fairytales
  • Bedknobs & Beanstalks: Anthology of Gay Erotic Fairy Tales
  • British Flash: A revealing collection of short LGBT fiction
  • Details of the Hunt (Details, #1)
  • Alpha Trine (The Valespian Pact #1)
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant, #1)