Start by marking “Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder” as Want to Read:
Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder

Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Imagine, for a moment, that you are a parent of a child with no visible disability, but whose experiences of everyday life present constant challenges. What may be typical activities for most people-eating, dressing, making friends, taking a spelling test, responding to a hug-are a struggle, often resulting in social, emotional, and academic problems.

This is the bewilder
Published April 20th 2006 by Putnam Adult

To ask other readers questions about Sensational Kids, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sensational Kids

Mary
This was an excellent book about Sensory Processing Disorders in children. It is very readable and accessible and provides great insight and descriptions. The "case study" chapters of the individual children were especially enlightening.
If, as this book suggests, 5 to 14 percent of all children have some form of a Sensory Processing Disorder, I think that this book (or other information on the Disorder) should be mandatory reading for all of those involved in the educational system. I believe t
Stacey
This book provides a wealth of information about sensory processing disorder in an easy to understand way. I found it easier to understand than "The Out of Synch Child", however, I haven't read that cover to cover yet.

Its amazing that a glitch with one (or more) of the senses can result in behaviors that you wouldn't expect to be related. For example, a problem with the vestibular system not only affects a child's balance but also may cause the child to be inattentive, impulsive, disorganized,
Suzy
Jan 18, 2008 Suzy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those interested in Sensory Processing Disorder
This book gives an in-depth look at all the variations of sensory processing disorder and presents ideas to help children with the disorder live joyfully and peacefully. It also is the only book on the subject that I've read to explain the current research in detail; the studies are new, but they are promising, in terms of finding causes and treatment. The book also includes an excellent resources section, with support web sites, on-line sources for sensory materials, and other books on the subj ...more
Kymberlie
Many books about sensory integration dysfunction or sensory processing disorder tell you which activities are helpful for various sensory stresses. This book helps the parent understand what might be the trigger in order to help the child understand what is affecting them and then which activities to use. I found this very helpful.
Barak
I am sure this book have helped many people to feel that they can now, after reading it, cope better with their child's problems. As good as this feeling may be for a parent, unless the diagnosis is a correct one, I am not convinced this is always helpful for the child in question, and sometimes may even be harmful.

So what is my point in all this? why do I have a semi-row with this book?

One issue I have is that the book gives one name, or rather a single label, i.e. SPD, to a range of behaviours
Angela
"Sensational Kids" is a groundbreaking book about Sensory Processing Disorder, and I would recommend it to any parent who is concerned about developmental delays. The author, Lucy Jane Miller, is an occupational therapist, director of Sensory Therapies And Research (STAR) Center in Denver, and the world's best-known SPD researcher. She wrote a book that not only explains the different types and subtypes of SPD but also relates examples from families with kids who have the disorder and scenarios ...more
Ann
A good all over guide to this disorder. Good explanations of what is happening to the sensory process and how to resolve some of the problems associated with this disorder. Good solid ideas and positive outcomes with great understanding from the child and parent's viewpoints.
Alicia
Helpful and relate able. I especially appreciated the caricatures instead of a more clinical list, as seems more common in this genre. I think the subtitle does the book a disservice - many children who wouldn't be labeled SPD would benefit from these techniques.
Rachel
My son has a very mild spd and this book only really addressed extreme cases. I was hoping it would have some advice on coping with his struggles, but it just left me feeling like I am overreacting about them because so many children have it worse.
LINCCReviews
This book was easy to read, not to much doctor language :) The author also has a great activity book too! (2plus2equalsus)
Angela Wade
An ENORMOUS help! Concrete suggestions, in-depth discussions on the why and how, and filled with hope. I can't recommend this book enough!
Heather
Accessible, helpful, lots of great information
Tanya
Dec 17, 2007 Tanya rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any parent looking to get more information on Sensory Processing Disorder
This book is a must read for any parent, educator, daycare provider or person that works with children! My son has Sensory Processing Disorder and PDD-NOS (high functioning Autism)... this was the first book that laid everying out in everyday terms and helps the reader to understand what our "sensational kids" are going through on a daily basis. I have given it as a gift at the beginning of the year to Ethan's teachers and plan to do so every year. You should check it out!
Susan
This provides a great explanation of the various types of sensory processing disorders. It is helping me to understand my child and providing guidance. Dr. Miller explains this disorder in layman's terms by using case studies. The book is easy to read. This book is a fantastic read for parents who think there may be something usual about their children, but there is no readily available explanation.
Of the three books I've read on sensory processing disorders, this is, hands down, the best. It presents the information in a very easy-to-understand format. By presenting case studies of the different issues, it also gives examples of coping methods to help the kids, although I do wish it would spend more time specifically on that topic. Overall, a must-read!
Tricia
While more research has been done since this title was printed in 2006, the book offers an excellent overview of variations of sensory processing disorder. One unique aspect of the book is case studies that take the reader through the day of a child based upon how they manifest their sensory processing issues. Various appendices contain additional resources.
Leslie
Oct 25, 2009 Leslie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of kids with austims, Asperger's, sensory processing disorders
I remember finishing this in one night, skimming to find the useful bits. Unlike other books I read in order to learn about my child's disorder, this one had a lot of fluff and not much more. Check it out from the library before buying. I might have just learned enougth by the time I found this one that it just didn't offer anything new that stood out.
Mary
This book is the best most comprehensive one I have read on the topic to date. It is primarily helpful to those in the early stages of diagnoses and researching what it all means and what is happening in a child with a processing disorder. But if you are past that stage and looking for treatment plans, other books cover that topic more thoroughly.
Macandamanda Mcgee
Amazing book! I loved how the author broke down each child's case by a short story of their lives. It allowed you to get a personal observation, before explanation from the author. It helped me significantly in my Montessori Toddler classroom. I am seeing the children for the first time! Wonderful book to understand sensory issues!! highly recommend!
Renelle Pinos
Still reading this... The chapters that analyze how different kids with sensory issues go through life is great. It has strategies how to help SENSATIONAL kids thrive...
On a side note, I'm guilty of diagnosing self, friends, and coworkers to varying degrees... and using the strategies to better understand how our brains work. Very cool.
Holly
This is a really great book for explaining Sensory Processing Disorder. It goes into the different types of SPD. And describes a day-in-the-life of a typically developing child and also kids with the different types of SPD. Very informative and interesting for parents dealing with kids with sensory sensitivities.
Audra
This book gives a snap shot into SPD through case studies, but only briefly discusses the physiological/neurological science behind it, and only cites a few studies in passing. I was looking for more hard data on SPD, as well as practical techniques that I can use at home (which this book does not offer).
Vdelisa
Wow! WHat a great book full of answers. Did you know that 1 out of 20 children have Sensory Processing Disorder? This book give parents and teachers great information on early diagnosis and interventions to help improve the quality of life for these wonderful, "Sensational Kids"!
Page
This book is so great! If you have a child with SPD, you HAVE to read this book. It is the best book I have read, so far. This book clearly explains red-flags, diagnosis, options, and what to expect in the future. My son's Occupational Therapist recommended this book to me.
Danile
I learned so much about sensory processing disorder, and not only sensory processing disorder- but so much about my son. I was finally able to accept some behaviors that I had deemed "annoying quirks" and see them for what they truly were. Amazing book!
Brittany Holmes
This book was written for parents whose children have sensory processing disorder. It uses common language and helps parents who otherwise think their child's maladjusted behaviors are the result of bad parenting. It was a good academic read.
Amy
Sep 16, 2008 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy by: Kyra's OT
This book is both informative and compassionate at the same time. It feels like you are talking with a very wise woman who totally gets you. I cried multiple times throughout it. Feeling validated is extremely powerful.
Tracy
I happened to read Out of Sync Child first so that's the book that changed my whole concept of children, but this would have done the same had I read it first. Of the two I almost prefer this one. A little more succint.
Suzanne
I did not read the entire book--using it as reference but I love how the author profiles different kids and compares and contrasts their sensory behavior. A great resource and a good read.
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
  • Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • Different Minds: Gifted Children with Ad/Hd, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders (And Their Parents)
  • Unraveling the Mystery of Autism and Pervasive Developmental Disorder: A Mother's Story of Research & Recovery
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Sensory Integration and the Child: 25th Anniversary Edition
  • When the Brain Can't Hear: Unraveling the Mystery of Auditory Processing Disorder
  • No More Meltdowns: Positive Strategies for Dealing with and Preventing Out-Of-Control Behavior
  • Coping with Trauma-Related Dissociation: Skills Training for Patients and Therapists
  • Making Peace with Autism: One Family's Story of Struggle, Discovery, and Unexpected Gifts
  • Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies: The Groundbreaking Program for the 4-A Disorders
  • Gifted Grownups: The Mixed Blessings of Extraordinary Potential
Firststep Screening Test For Evaluating Preschoolers: Additional Parent/Teacher Scale Miller Assessment For Preschoolers: Additional Record Booklets Miller Assessment For Preschoolers (Map Firststep Screening Test For Evaluating Preschoolers Firststep Screening Test For Evaluating Preschoolers: Additional Record Forms Level 3