Start by marking “Parenting a Child with Sensory Processing Disorder: A Family Guide to Understanding and Supporting Your Sensory-Sensitive Child” as Want to Read:

Does your child react strongly to noises or smells or textures that other children take in stride? Or does he or she beg for more touch and massage, rocking until he or she is dizzy? This child may be living with a little-known condition called sensory processing disorder (SPD). Kids with SPD may seem unduly sensitive to physical sensations, light, and sound, or they may s ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by New Harbinger Publications

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting a Child with Sensory Processing Disorder

Lisa
Aug 16, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book is an accessible, quick read for parents of children with SPD (sensory processing disorder).

Very little time is spend discussing SPD itself (just one chapter).

Instead, the authors concentrate on SPD's impact on your marriage (or relationship with the child's other patient), your family, and your typically-developing children. I especially appreciated the chapter about siblings: I hadn't previously thought about how our son's siblings will outlive us, and continue to deal with his... c
jOi-C
Jan 28, 2008 jOi-C rated it liked it
Recommended to jOi-C by: Occupational Therapist
Shelves: info-cational
Good place to start to learn more about SPD. But half of the book was a list of family activities you can do (mainly to cope with SPD). The informational part of the book was a great place to start for me, but I wasn't impressed by relationships suggestions.
Stephanie
Jun 21, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book for two reasons: (1) it was easy to understand and follow and (2) it really did focus on family dynamics and relationships in special needs families, specifically those who have a child with Sensory Processing Disorder. Both authors bring different backgrounds and experiences to the table, and the reader benefits greatly from this.

If this wasn't a library book I feel like I would have highlighted large portions of it. While some of it was irrelevant to our family, the
Jenn
May 15, 2008 Jenn rated it it was amazing
This is a book I go back to from time to time as I'm raising my boys... it's full of information...
Stephanie Jenkins
Aug 22, 2012 Stephanie Jenkins rated it it was amazing
I still use it as a reference
Jeannie
Apr 27, 2008 Jeannie rated it really liked it
Great overview
Kristy
Feb 05, 2009 Kristy rated it really liked it
a MUST read for anyone who loves a child with sensory processing disorder. An especially awesome chapter on how to meet the needs of the "typical" siblings.
Deborah Jean Flores
Deborah Jean Flores rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Jenny Novak
Jenny Novak rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Shelley Watton
Shelley Watton rated it it was ok
Nov 25, 2015
Vivian Crayton
Vivian Crayton rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Roselyn Boarman
Roselyn Boarman rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2015
Kami
Kami rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Florence
Florence rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2017
Elaine Valente
Elaine Valente rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2010
Rene
Rene rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2013
Kay Lowenstein
Kay Lowenstein rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Elizabeth Mallers
Elizabeth Mallers rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Krista
Krista rated it it was ok
May 22, 2017
Candi
Candi rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2009
Michelle Panian
Michelle Panian rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Julie Lanphere
Julie Lanphere rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Heather Barrios
Heather Barrios rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Lisa Smith
Lisa Smith rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2010