Start by marking “Iris and Walter” as Want to Read:
Iris and Walter

Iris and Walter (Iris and Walter)

Together Iris and Walter discover that anything—from adjusting to a new home to facing the first day of school—is easier when you have a best friend to help you.
Published March 1st 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Iris and Walter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iris and Walter

Dayna
Jul 14, 2009 Dayna rated it it was amazing
This was the first book in a series of early chapter books. The story was about a city girl who moves to the country and has trouble adjusting at first...then she meets Walter her neighbor - and his tree house.

The story was easy and sweet. We will be sure to check out the rest of this series.
Nov 19, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone!
I thought this book was so cute. This can be used to help children with moving to different places and how to deal with that transition.
Brianna
Aug 19, 2014 Brianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-for-school
I liked it. I think it was awesome.
Heather Jo
Oct 27, 2016 Heather Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Katie Fitzgerald
When I arrived at my current library two years ago, the first question I received that stumped me was a request for the Iris and Walter books. I knew a lot of kids’ books, even then, but somehow none of the libraries I’d worked in prior to my current position had this series, so I had to admit to the nanny who asked for them that I didn’t know what they were. In the intervening two years, I have read a couple of the later books about this pair of best friends, and I have come to love Christine ...more
Aryana Ahmad
Feb 25, 2015 Aryana Ahmad rated it really liked it
This book is about a girl named Iris and her family moving to the country and leaving the loud suburbs. She doesn't like it in the country at all and everyone in her family tries to tell her to have fun. But, the only person that can make her feel better about anything was her grandpa. When they were walking and she ran into a treehouse. Going inside the treehouse was a boy named Walter. After that incident they became best friends and did everything together. She kind of forgot about her past ...more
Kyra Calnan
Nov 09, 2013 Kyra Calnan rated it really liked it
Iris and Walter is a story about a girl named Iris who is used to her big city life full of noises and people. When her and her parents move to the country, she feels lonely and bored and feels as though nothing will make her as happy as the city, until she meets Walter. Walter shows her the wonderful ways of the country, and even though she still compares the two, she finds a new love for the country through her new friend.This book has a great theme of seeing things in a different light, ...more
Becky
Jul 28, 2012 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iris is one sad little girl. Her family has moved to the country and away from everything Iris loves. What could the country possibly offer her to make up for everything she's lost? One by one her family tries to cheer her up, but, it takes a walk with her Grandpa to get the job done. For starters, he does not tell her to "cheer up." He sympathizes with her, and doesn't try to tell her how she should be feeling. He listens, just listens, and that is everything. The two go on a walk, and, on this ...more
Dolly
May 28, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is a sweet story about a little girl who moves from the city to the country and is having a hard time adjusting to her new life. Despite her parents exuberant efforts, she is not happy about the move. But then her Grandfather finds a way to help her. It's a good book to read aloud with children, especially if a family is in the process of moving. And with four short chapters, it's a good book for children who are starting to read chapter books. We will look for more books in this series.
Jack Cheng
Apr 01, 2009 Jack Cheng rated it liked it
This is a pleasant series of chapter books (4 chapters) that has some nice characters. I like that stuff actually happens. For instance, in a later book, Walter's cousin Howie comes to visit. Iris is disappointed that he's not nicer to her. Her grandpa's advice? You don't have to like Howie. Walter will still be your best friend. My 6 year old likes to read these, and the 4 year old likes having them read to her. We've read ten books in the series and they are all nice. The pictures are a bit ...more
Taylor Renfroe
Dec 05, 2013 Taylor Renfroe rated it liked it
Shelves: reading-4050
This was a very cute book and I enjoyed reading it because it reminded me of that Field mouse and City mouse books. It shows that even though you come from a different place you can still make friends and enjoy the company that you have. I think that this will be a great book to using a children's classroom because you can hold discussions with the class about what it feels like to be a new kid in a new town and finding friends.
Hannah Potter
Feb 03, 2016 Hannah Potter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd-314
I thought that this was a very sweet story that is at a level younger kids just starting chapter books will really enjoy. The story is about moving from the big city to the country and what Iris found there after missing the city. A great story to introduce the idea of how it can be hard to move, but there are always things that are wonderful and beautiful in the new place.
Katy
Sep 01, 2016 Katy rated it liked it
Iris moves from the city to the country and is super lonely because she doesn't see any other kids around. Then she finds Walter up in a treehouse. It's a sweet story about feelings, (boy/girl) friendships, and moving. The only thing I'm not sold on is the illustrations, mostly because Iris randomly has blue hair, but there isn't anything bad about them.
Marcia
Sep 14, 2012 Marcia rated it it was amazing
I love these books! Both my 5 year old daughter and my 7 year old son like to listen to them. The friendship in this book is strong yet gentle, between a boy and girl, and covers many timely childhood topics like lonliness, new schools, new siblings, bullying, etc. They are early chapter books and easy to finish in one bedtime or savored longer.
Mallory
Feb 09, 2016 Mallory rated it it was amazing
Yes, I'm counting this as a book I read in 2016. It's my childhood, I can do what I want. Anyway, I think this book resonates with me now because I've recently moved from a big city to a tiny town. I read it all the time, and won't stop.
Andrea
Sep 04, 2016 Andrea rated it really liked it
"Tell me about the big city," said Walter
"Well," said Iris, "In the big city, there are lots and lots and lots of people."
"Ah," said Walter. "But in the country there are lots and lots and lots of stars."
Maggie
Jan 03, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
My 7-year-old daughter got 2 of the books in this series for Christmas and she is really enjoying them.
Kim
Apr 06, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing
Fun level 3 chapter book for younger readers. Iris misses her city home but a walk with Grandpa helps her discover fun things about the country.

Ms. Barry
I sweet story. Moving from the city to the country is a big change - I have felt the same way Iris has. Iris finds a friend in Walter and finds out how the country can also be pretty cool.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Grace
Apr 08, 2014 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We thought it was a cute story about a girl from the big city moving to the country. She's not happy but then she meets a boy and they become the best of friends.
Jason Allen
Jason Allen rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2008
Ne'keyiciah Bibb
Ne'keyiciah Bibb rated it it was amazing
Jan 30, 2014
Yellincenter
Yellincenter rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2008
Jemimahmorta
Jemimahmorta rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Abs Brow
Abs Brow rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
iris and walter 1 3 Sep 22, 2013 12:53PM
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Paint the Porch
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Ling & Ting Share a Birthday (Ling & Ting, #2)
  • Mouse and Mole: A Winter Wonderland
  • Just Grace and the Double Surprise (Just Grace, #7)
  • The No. 1 Car Spotter (No. 1 Car Spotter, #1)
  • Great-Grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files #1)
  • Tico and the Golden Wings
  • A House in the Woods
  • Princess Posey and the Monster Stew (Princess Posey, #4)
  • Bad Bye, Good Bye
  • Amelia Bedelia Makes a Friend
  • The Vanishing Coin (The Magic Shop Book 1)
  • Pearl and Wagner: One Funny Day
  • Benny and Penny in the Toy Breaker: TOON Level 2
  • Class Clown

Iris and Walter (10 books)
  • Iris and Walter, True Friends