Start by marking “The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk

The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk (The Bedtime Story-Books)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Jimmy Skunk has a long, hard day but comes out the winner in this captivating tale that tells how Reddy Fox is tricked into doing something he never intended to do and how a mischievous Peter Rabbit gets his comeuppance for playing nasty tricks on fellow creatures of the Green Meadow. A warm, whimsical adventure.
Published May 20th 1994 by Dover Publications (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk

Jonathan Marshall
The Burgess Books

This is a phrase that brings a smile to my face as often as I hear it. As a young child, I would lose myself for hours in the simple world of the wood and pond inhabited by Little Joe Otter, Buster Bear, Grandfather Frog, and terrorized by Farmer Brown's Boy. I can remember the very shelf, even the exact spot in the little library in Felton, CA where these books were kept. I would return practically every week with a new armload to last me until our next trip to the library. Of
John Kenworthy
Dec 26, 2011 John Kenworthy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children everywhere
Recommended to John by: my father
Thornton Burgess books are guilty pleasures to be sure. I was a somewhat sickly child growing up - missing over a third of my first grade year due to bad ear infections. Like so many bedridden kids before me, I learned a love for reading and writing during those convalescent days. And much of my appreciation therein can be attributed directly to the works of Thornton Burgess. I remember with great fondness my father bringing me an armful of Burgess books from the corner library. They might have ...more
Karin
my 7 yr old gave this a 5. I agree. I liked the way morals were told in an entertaining way. I bet my daughter didn't feel she was being moralized at because she wanted to hear the whole book. I've tried others that had a distinct 'moral' or 'value' and she hates it.(Books that go ... is thankful or ... learns to be honest. blah.

Burgess books are interesting entertaining and a good read. Hopefully the little lessons learned by the animals were also learned and put away in the back of my daughter
Melissa
This one focused much more on Peter Rabbit for the first plot, and more on Ol' Billy Possum for the second plot than it did on Jimmy Skunk. I would have liked to learn more about skunks, but maybe there just isn't much to learn: everyone knows they're mainly nocturnal, and they spray a horrible smell when threatened. But the charm of the characters was still there, and the good lessons for children (don't play practical jokes, karma, and don't lose your temper) were present as well.
Brian
The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk is one of the classics. I just re-read it to see if it's appropriate for my 3.5 yr old. Enjoyed it just as much as the first 26 times I read it.
Ann
We read an absolute boat-load of Thornton Burgess's stories when our two children were little ... they absolutely loved these adventures. One of their favorites was this one about Jimmy Skunk. Thornton Burgess's tales are so sweetly written with enough misadventure to satisfy young appetites !!
Amanda
Was overjoyed to find the books of Burgess at Librivox.com. My favourite book as a child was The Adventures of Little Joe Otter, so it this was purely a nostalgic read/listen. This book was fun and full of hokey morals and great characters and silly situations. Great stuff.
Anna
Love how the author puts in character lessons throughout the story of the animals. And how Farmer Brown's boy doesn't have a name, but he knows the animal's names. Hah!
Lorelei
A charming story or collection of stories - not really sure what to call it. My youngest (9yo at the time) absolutely loved it.
Heidi
A great book to read aloud to kids! I like all the books in this series, but, this is my favourite.
Denise Kuntz
Awesome childrens story,narrator does well!
Joyce
Great series by Burgess
Cws
Jul 29, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: br
BR3-Bur
Bondboy
Bondboy marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Sarah Johnson
Sarah Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Lydia Davis
Lydia Davis marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Stacey
Stacey added it
Apr 02, 2015
Christephi
Christephi marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Terrikuns
Terrikuns marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Zeb Weese
Zeb Weese marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
  • The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver (Dover Children's Thrift Classics)
  • Three Terrible Trins
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • The Grey Woman
  • Rainbow Garden
  • Paddington at Work (Paddington, #7)
  • Doctor Dolittle in the Moon (Doctor Dolittle, #8)
  • The Window at the White Cat
  • Journey's End (The Last Dogs, #4)
  • Eve's Diary
  • The Little Duke
  • In the Path of the Storm (Farthing Wood, #6)
  • Fifty Famous Stories Retold
  • The Third Book of the Dun Cow: Peace at the Last
  • Toad Away (Toad, #3)
  • The Story of Rolf and the Viking Bow
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding
  • Air Ferrets Aloft (The Ferret Chronicles, #1)
Thornton W. (Waldo) Burgess (1874-1965), American author, naturalist and conservationist, wrote popular children's stories including the Old Mother West Wind (1910) series. He would go on to write more than 100 books and thousands of short-stories during his lifetime.
More about Thornton W. Burgess...

The Bedtime Story-Books (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Adventures of Bob White
  • The Adventures of Mr. Mocker
  • The Adventures of Old Man Coyote
  • The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad
  • The Adventures of Ol' Mistah Buzzard
The Adventures of Peter Cottontail Old Mother West Wind The Burgess Bird Book for Children The Adventures of Reddy Fox The Adventures of Old Mr. Toad