Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)

Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon #1)

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  31 reviews
From acclaimed author Dave Zeltserman comes a dark, captivating thriller unlike any you've ever seen, a killer unlike any you've ever imagined, and an ending unlike any you've ever dreamed of.
Published June 4th 2010 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published July 18th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Thoughts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Thoughts

Melki
Detective Bill Shannon is still coping with the memory of seeing his mother murdered over twenty years ago. Every year around the anniversary of her death, he loses time and disappears for a week or more, awakening disheveled and completely unaware of what has occurred, OR what he DID during his blackout.

Now women are being killed in the same grisly manner as Shannon's mother. Did Shannon have something to do with the murders, or is he being framed by a killer from his past?

The parts of this bo...more
Renee
A good suspense-mystery that sneaks up on you with a little magical realism. Slick.
Heather
Sep 14, 2007 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror/suspense readers
Good page-turner. The supernatural element was a little cheesy, but the twist was nice.
Maddy

Human beings have a finite capacity to digest the evil that happens around them. At the age of 13, Billy Shannon walked into his home while his mother was in the act of being murdered. Incredibly, he was able to turn the tables on the killer, Herbert Winters. But Shannon has paid the price. Now it's 20 years later, he's a cop in Massachusetts; but he's never been able to put the whole incident to rest. Every year as the anniversary of his mother's death approaches, he escapes reality by going on...more
Leland
I rarely write more than a thought or two on my Goodreads reviews, but after finishing this book, I've got lots on my mind. I could easily give this story three or even fewer stars. But I didn't. I gave it four.

I recommend this book if you like hardboiled suspense with a touch of horror. If you like books with an edgy twist of the supernatural all the better.

I personally find most books with that kind of story unreadable.

But that's just the thing. I found Zeltserman's writing to be compelling...more
Benoit Lelievre
This is a good example of really flawed book that keeps bending and twisting to keep your attention on the page despite its shortcomings. BAD THOUGHTS is melodramatic and has a plot worthy of airport paperbacks, but it's dynamic and unpredictable. It's what book you keep reading to know what-the-hell-is-going-to-happen-next?

Bill Shannon is equal parts cliché and original details. Loved that he's straight, hardass cop that is often maligned in that kind of stories. Love the detail about his finge...more
Bill Mazzola
dark, sick, twisted and utterly compelling. Upset I'm just learning about Dave Zeltserman, but excited to pick up more books from his imaginative mind
Julia
Page Turner

This book was hard to put down. It had enough twists and turns to keep things interesting. Highly recommend it.
Doctorwu51
I often enjoy creepy, violent stories, but I tend to lose interest when supernatural elements are introduced. This is, perhaps, more suited to fans of the crime/horror genre. I usually prefer my bad guys to be a little more, err, human.
J.F. Juzwik
If you want to be completely creeped out, then, this is the book for you. There is a bad guy in this story who will show up throughout under the most unusual circumstances, and will have you looking over your shoulder and investigating every creak and house whisper before you're halfway into it.

Dave Zeltserman really has a gift when it comes to creating believable characters, and showing us the strength of the human spirit in the face of a nightmare. Definitely read Bad Thoughts on a dark, stor...more
Lori Henrich
Every year around February 10th Bill Shannon has a blackout. He doesn't know why and he can't remember where he goes and what he does. It has been happening for several years now. His marriage is just about over because of it. This year is different his dreams are being invaded but a person who is supposed to be dead. Bill is desperate to find out what is going on before the police arrest him for murder.

It was a attention grabbing story. I was worried that it might be a bit gruesome, but it wasn...more
Anthony Kufner
This is an advance copy-uncorrected
Dawnandtim
Not a bedtime story! During the first few pages I came close to just closing this book and putting it in the "not worth the time" category, something I very rarely do, but kept reading and it did get quite a bit better. It's a combination of murder mystery and the supernatural, held my interest, and even though I might not recommend it to everyone because of some of the graphic brutality, it was worth the read.
Black Butterfly
Jan 18, 2014 Black Butterfly rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: BOOKBUB
I TRIED TO LIKE THIS BOOK, JUST COULDN'T. WHEN I READ THE DETAILS OF THE STORY LINE I REALLY THOUGHT, THIS SHOULD BE GOOD. THE PROBLEM I HAD WAS ALL THE CHARACTERS WERE SO SAD AND FREAKIN' DEPRESSING, EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS BOOK MADE ME DEPRESSED. EVEN THE ENDING WAS WHAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED, IT WAS JUST SAD, SAD, SAD. BUMMER! ;<
Susan
Dec 13, 2013 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a suspense novel
Recommended to Susan by: bookbub
Okay, it wasn't a great work of literature and I'm sure I'll never see this on any classics list, BUT, if you're in the mood for a good thriller, this is it. I do have to say the ending reminded me of 'Ghost' but it was a good read and it kept my attention through the end. I'd recommend it.
Karen Strumlak
Spoiler! I was hooked and enjoyed the mystery until the bad guy takes over the body of Shannon and talks to him in his dreams. I guess I'm not a believer. Found it to be weird and took away from the story.
Karsyn
SNORE fest. OMG it was boring and slow and dull and the characters were completely unlikable. If it were any longer, I would have stopped reading it, but since it was shorter and I had read 25% initially, I didn't want to lose that time. So, I read it and it sucked!
Metagion
I really liked this book...It was one of those "mind f**ks" that keeps you guessing as to what happens next...and gives you something to think about! What if you COULD do what the killer could? No spoilers here but it gives you food for thought!
Yvonne Riggs
This was a fun read even though it is not very believable.
Shelby
This book was less than perfect, but really good overall. This is a really dark book, with a lot of taboo things that most people won't talk about, and that's one of the reasons I like it so much. This book is pretty ballsy!
Ayla
I really wanted this book to be fantastic and it tried. Alas, what started out as a good story fizzled into shoddy storytelling and a truly bizarre (and not in a good way) ending.
Megan
It was a fun read, but I don't think the writing was very good and I could predict a lot of the "twists." Nevertheless, I scare easy and this book had me looking over my shoulder a lot.
Dana
interesting read with all dream travel and out of body experiences.could have used a bit more details when it came to the murders to give it some shock factor.
Marilaine
Got to have a strong stomach for this one - a mystery with a touch of the supernatural.

Can't really recommend it - too much violence and gore.
Bendy
This was a good read. I read the book in about 3 days. It is fast paced and unpredictable.
Stacey
The story wasn't quite what I expected and I'm not sure that I can say that I liked it.
Harold
A crazy read. I really enjoyed it.
Christina
Creepy characters, good mystery!
Jla2113
Grusome...craziness!
Tina
It was a good page turner.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Shamus Award winner for JULIUS KATZ. Ellery Queen's Readers Choice Award winner for ARCHIE'S BEEN FRAMED. SMALL CRIMES named by NPR as one of the 5 best crime and mystery novels of 2008, Washington Post naming it also as one of the best novels of 2008. PARIAH named by the Washington Post as one of the best books of 2009. THE CARETAKER OF LORNE FIELD (2010) shortlisted by American Library Associati...more
More about Dave Zeltserman...
Small Crimes The Caretaker of Lorne Field: A Novel Monster: A Novel of Frankenstein Outsourced Julius Katz Mysteries