Start by marking “A Heart Full of Peace” as Want to Read:
A Heart Full of Peace

A Heart Full of Peace

Love, compassion, and peace - these words are at the heart of all spiritual endeavors. Although we intuitively resonate with their meaning and value, for most of us, the challenge is how to embody what we know: how to transform these words into a vibrant, living practice. In these times of conflict and uncertainty, this transformation is far more than an abstract ideal; it ...more
Published November 10th 2007 by Wisdom Publications (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart Full of Peace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart Full of Peace

James Allen
Oct 25, 2016 James Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
A short but powerful book on mindfulness, compassion, and peace. Goldstein knows how to get to the heart of the matter and express it succinctly.
Aubrey
Sep 26, 2014 Aubrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of us have this inner battle in our minds, with whatever struggle we go through in that moment in time. We can be the happiest of people but still have thoughts that conflict, questions we have, things we have to work through. It could be a decision we have to make, a relationship gone downhill or any otherwise change that sets us aback in thought. In the end, how we feel is up to us. There's a balance we have to find. That balance between self-righteousness and self-judgement. And it's a jo ...more
bacabuku
Jan 15, 2015 bacabuku rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-development
Love this book. Unlike any other "self-help book", this one is straight to the point about how to be in happy, peace, free of suffering states. To conclude, it is all in your (healthy) mind.

I was so depressed for the past years and under shrink care with cocktail of medications. The depression is almost no more, however my brain was shaped by the experience of depression-state itself, and became so negative.

What i need now are factors that could reshaping my mind into positive one with less worr
Rubina
Only a 100 pages but this compact book is filled with so much insightful teachings on the practice of compassion, loving-kindness and peace. Goldstein reminds us by developing awareness of our motivations, thoughts and emotions, we can learn to accept and manage the many struggles and difficulties we face in life.
Definitely a book which should be read not just by anyone who wants to understand the basic philiosphy of Buddhism but also for advanced practitioners.
Steve Woods
Sep 04, 2010 Steve Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
This is another great little collection of readings. These collections, I use two or three, are an integral part of my daily practice. I read at least one a day, just to get my mind focused on a specific thought and to keep my own practice alive to the basics of my own path. It is a habit I strongly recommend to anyone who is walking any kind of spiritual path.
May 13, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic teacher.
Alexandrea
Jun 28, 2014 Alexandrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and gentle reminder to actively embrace peace and see the good around us.
Michelle
Sep 29, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, classic text.
Aug 30, 2008 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply Beautiful.
Steve Kemp
Apr 22, 2015 Steve Kemp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book you want to read over and over again. I have a feeling mine is going to be with me most everywhere I go ! Yes , it is that good !
Padmasiri
Padmasiri rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Andrew Romine
Andrew Romine rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2010
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2009
Dizzyca C
Dizzyca C rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Nicoletta Cinotti
Nicoletta Cinotti rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Heather Whaling
Heather Whaling rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2011
Curt
Curt rated it liked it
Jul 11, 2010
Miller
Miller rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2012
Q
Q rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2010
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Karli
Karli rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2011
Cheryl Aldridge
Cheryl Aldridge rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2008
Tùng Ive
Tùng Ive rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Elise
Elise rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Goldstein (born 1944) is one of the first American vipassana teachers (Fronsdal, 1998), co-founder of the Insight Meditation Society (IMS) with Jack Kornfield and Sharon Salzberg, contemporary author of numerous popular books on Buddhism (see publications below), resident guiding teacher at IMS, and leader of retreats worldwide on insight (vipassana) and lovingkindness (metta) meditation.

Wh
More about Joseph Goldstein...

“The commitment to morality, or non-harming, is a source of tremendous strength, because it helps free the mind from the remorse of having done unwholesome actions. Freedom from remorse leads to happiness. Happiness leads to concentration. Concentration brings wisdom. And wisdom is the source of peace and freedom in our lives.” 11 likes
“The tremendous danger is that this belief - that genuine happiness comes only from pleasant feelings - becomes a strong motivation to stay closed to anything unpleasant. But by staying closed to all unpleasantness, we also stay closed to our own wellspring of compassion.” 3 likes