Shoveling Smoke

Shoveling Smoke

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The creator of Judge Deborah Knott and Lt. Sigrid Harald and the winner of the Edgar Award for Best Novel, Margaret Maron writes with sensitivity about how time and place influence people and events, and how the domestic situation can breed both warmth and quiet despair. Shoveling Smoke contains 22 of Margaret Maron's best short stories, including all of the short cases of...more
Published June 2nd 1997 by Crippen & Landru Publishers (first published April 1st 1997)

Carol
Shoveling Smoke collects several of Margaret Maron's short stories in one place. I had to borrow it through interlibrary loan because it is no longer available for purchase.

Maron is one of my favorite authors. She has eastern NC ties. Most of her Deborah Knott (Bootlegger's Daughter) books are set there. When I learned that there were short stories about Knott, I had to borrow this.

Whether they included Knott or not, I enjoyed them. Many were funny. Most were short.
The Death of Me
A Very Specia...more
Kathy Nealen
I never enjoy short story mysteries as much as mystery novels. The short length severely limits the complexity, i.e., twists and turns in the plot. I started reading all of the stories in this collection but after about a half dozen, I just skipped all of them but those based on Sigrid Harald and Deborah Knott, the two sleuths featured in her novels.
Lindig
Collected short stories, including two Sigrid Harald and a few Deborah Knott. Interesting to see her writing and plotting skills develop. I still think the Sigrid Harald series is the best thing she's ever done.
Twyla Knight
Twyla Knight marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Mary Cobb
Mary Cobb marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Pamela Kern
Pamela Kern marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Liz
Liz added it
Jan 30, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Suzanne Moore
Suzanne Moore marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Ginny Howerton
Ginny Howerton marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres...more
More about Margaret Maron...
Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1) Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3) Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2) Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott, #4) Hard Row (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #13)