Start by marking “One Coffee With” as Want to Read:
One Coffee With

One Coffee With (Sigrid Harald #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  785 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Detective Sigrid Harald finds herself involved with a variety of colorful and offbeat suspects as she investigates a murder in the art department of a prestigious university.
Published April 30th 1995 by Mysterious Press (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about One Coffee With, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Coffee With

The Secret History by Donna TarttWell-Schooled in Murder by Elizabeth  GeorgeMiss Pym Disposes by Josephine TeyGentlemen and Players by Joanne HarrisThe Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell
School Murder Mysteries
15th out of 68 books — 51 voters
One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDark Lover by J.R. WardThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
Series with Sass
117th out of 195 books — 142 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda Baker
I am a big fan of Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series, but had never given much thought to reading the Sigrid Harald series. It just seemed too different from Deborah Knott to interest me that much. That was before I read the most recent Knott mystery, Three Day Town, in which Sigrid played a part. I found her an interesting character, one with an intriguing back story alluded to in Three Day Town.

As this first novel in an eight book series was written in 1982, it was a bit like a trip back in
Cathy Cole
Margaret Maron is an author that I keep meaning to read-- especially after having read and enjoyed her first Judge Deborah Knott mystery-- and I keep getting sidetracked. First published in 1982, One Coffee With takes Maron back to her beginnings as a writer, and her introduction to this newest release should not be missed.

However the novel itself shows her inexperience at the time. The book is so focused on the minute ins and outs of the Art Department that the story takes much too long to get
Kilian Metcalf
In my worldview people read mysteries for two different reasons: they either focus on the puzzle elements or they enjoy the comedy of manners that the characters play out against the setting. I'm in the second category. I don't care much who killed whom or why, but I enjoy the interplay among the characters. If the books are in an interesting setting, so much the better. I loved Maron's Judge Deborah Knott series from the beginning. Judge Knott is a hoot, and Colleton, South Carolina, is as much ...more
Chris
2.5 stars. I can't figure out why I liked this mystery so much the first time I read it roughly 10 years ago. It has not aged well.
Ellen Moore
This book seemed slow to start to me. It also had a huge number of characters tied to the college setting, so I had some difficulty keeping all of them straight or understanding their connection to the victim. Once the detectives were involved, the investigation proceded in an orderly fashion; and Sigrid and her partner worked well together. I recognized a couple of characters who appear in later novels of this series since I have not read these books in order. I did not like this book as much a ...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: This is the first in a mystery series starring one of my all-time favorite detectives, Sigrid Harald. Each time I reread this I'm reminded how much I really enjoy her "presence". That intelligent, prickly, sharp-edged but actually gentle woman is a superb creation, and the mystery plots ain't bad either. Entire series is highly recommended.

Ms. Maron's first mystery novel is quite a polished accomplishment, with its excellent plot and wonderful characterizations. Herein we meet Lt.
Linda
I read this book ages ago and just finished rereading it for my Mystery Loves Company discussion. My rating remains the same. It was a good read but the cast of characters a bit difficult to keep straight at first. I especially liked the character Tillie and the diagram of the murder scene that he drew--a nod to mysteries of the past. I only wish a list of characters had also been included as was sometimes done in old mysteries as well. Maron played fair but added a surprise twist at the end whi ...more
Nikki
Margaret Maron's first novel after (according to her introduction to this Kindle edition) many years of writing only short stories, introduces New York City policewoman Sigrid Harald. Although I've been enjoying Maron's Deborah Knott series since the beginning, I was never very interested in the earlier series. But now that Maron introduced Harald into the Deborah Knott series with Three Day Town, I thought I should go back and read at least one of the Harald books.

It is somewhat evident that On
Jessie
Though the protagonist is a police detective, not an amateur sleuth, and the story is set in New York City, not a small town, this book reads like a cozy. The academic community becomes the village setting, the bickering and interplay of the staff and students just like a small town. The motive, attention to detail and nuance, spot-on characterization, and deceptively simple plot are all hallmarks of a good cozy. However it is like a police procedural in that there is a lot of plodding about and ...more
Candy Wood
Aug 23, 2011 Candy Wood added it
Shelves: mysteries
It has been a while since I read any of Margaret Maron's mysteries, and this one is a kind of time machine. Published in 1982, it brings back memories of typewriters and pantsuits. This art department of a New York City college has a young, blonde secretary, only one woman professor, and a slide library, and everyone smokes. The detective, Lieutenant Sigrid Harald, is the only woman investigating homicides, making her way methodically among prejudiced behavior of male colleagues, interviews by g ...more
Jan
I really like later books by this author, so I thought I'd check out this vintage book when I spotted it at the library. I mostly pushed through it because I felt challenged to solve the Whodunnit puzzle it presented. The negative for me was the flatness of the characters. Maron's later work clearly reflects both a maturing of her skill and perhaps an increased demand by the reading public for more complex characters.
JodiP
This was the first full-length mystery that McMahon had written and it was full of fascinating characters populating the art department of one of the schools of the city of New York. It was fun to watch the main detective blossom as well and I’m intrigued by the possibility of a relationship between her and the art department's director. The mystery was great, I loved how she set a trap to capture the real killer.
Ed
By the numbers.
One-dimensional characters, dull story, nothing special at all. Knowing how well-regarded Maron's Knott mysteries are, when I chanced on this first book in another series, set in NYC, I thought I would find it interesting. It was anything but, and it makes me wonder whether I want to read any of the mysteries in the Knott series.
Cyn Mcdonald
Happy to see this on the library shelf after so long out of print and unavailable. Intriguing story that doesn't read at all like a first novel. Interesting to see the first appearances of Sigrid Harald and Oscar Nauman. I've just requested the second book in the series so I can read them all in order.
Ellen Schauer
A time capsule of 1970s New York City academia. A couple of times, I distracted myself from drier parts by attempting to cast the movie, but mostly, I devoured the lively interaction between the (only occasionally stereotypical) characters. Slightly telegraphed ending, but otherwise enjoyable.
Sharla
I'm not sure I would have liked this book as much if I hadn't read a couple of the later ones in this series first. I already knew I liked the Sigrid character so that helped me to keep going even though the first three chapters were a bit boring. The early chapters did set up the story and introduce suspects and main characters. Things don't really get interesting until chapter four but after that it picks up nicely. Margaret Maron is most famous for her much more popular series set in North Ca ...more
Martha Nance
My first Margaret Maron novel. This one is a pretty good tale if a little simplistic. Still, the ending was a surprise. I wish there was a 3.5 star rating. Better than a 3 but not really a 4. Think I definitely will try more in this series.
April
Very different than Deborah Knott series. If I hadn't met Sigrid Harald in that series, I probably would have given up before the book became interesting several chapters in.
Christine Boris
I loved Margaret Maron's book Last Lessons of Summer, so I thought I'd try one of her series books. Very much a "cozy mystery" but not my cup of tea.
Lori Henrich
This would kind of be 2.5 stars for me. I kind of liked it but it didn't really flow well for me. I got this for free to try. Since it was just ok for me, I will try one more to be sure how I really feel.

A member of the staff of a New York college is poisoned and Sigrid Harald is assigned the case. It is a tricky case with many who could be the suspect. I kind got confused with some of the characters and the character of the lead detective didn't seem real natural. She kind of came off strange t
Cindy
Hmmmmm. Def a first in a series, and with a not quite sure detective. I'll go ahead and read book two - I want to know how Oscar changes this rather unaware of herself detective into the one I met in Three Day Town.
K.V. Witten
I knew nothing about this series of books or the author before reading this book. I started to give it two stars but raised it to three when I found out it had been written so long ago (1982) which makes certain things I found objectionable more understandable.

As a 'mystery', this was fine. My problem was with the characters. The 'beautiful swan' that thinks she's an 'ugly duckling' is rather cliched (though perhaps less cliched when the book was written). More importantly, the obigatory 'romanc
Rdonn
I have many Margaret Maron books, mostly the Deborah Knotts ones taking place in North Carolina. I once went to a lecture of hers at a book store and that started me on my collection. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get her first book, in the Sigrid Harald series set in NYC. I thoroughly enjoyed this for several reasons. She's clever, easy to read, and I can gallop through happily. This, added to a fact I graduated from a NYC City College, Hunter, as an Art Major, made this even more delig ...more
Alyson Dickerman
I hated aspects of this book. Loathed in fact. I realise it was published in 1982, so the dated feel didn't bother me as much as a "romance" between Sigrid Harald and another character did. Presumably Maron intended for her detective to be a woman intent on bucking the sexist trends of the day, but apparently that did not extend into the romantic sector. I was peeved, then irritated, and finally disgusted by the whole matter. I didn't buy it. The mystery was ok, I guess.

Kathy Nealen

I have been faithfully reading Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series for years. I knew about the Sigrid Harald series but was not interested because they were published earlier; and, I am sorry to say that I was put off by the sleuth's odd name. I became interested in reading this series immediately after meeting Sigrid in the latest Deborah Knott book. "One Coffee With" is somewhat dated but was definitely a good read with well drawn characters and a clever mystery.
Beth
This is the first book in Maron's Sigrid Harald series.

A rather unpleasant art professor is poisoned and Harald is assigned the case. She has to sort out academic politics, personal rivalries, and the current art market for a Hungarian painter in addition to the usual motive, means, and opportunity.

The case also has important consequences for her personal life.

This book is not as polished as Maron's later works but it a pretty good mystery.
Jenn
I don't know how I feel about this one. I was wrong when I guessed whodunit, and it truly was a guess. I never had a clue about who the poisoner was, and part of me really didn't care. I didn't care for the detective. She's trying too hard to be one of the guys and appears very manly. I like the art world but this college seemed wrong. Either way, unless I have other books in my collection I don't think I'll read anything else in this series.
Marcia
Margaret Maron is more well known for her Deborah Knott series. One Coffee With (1982) is the first book in her earlier series featuring Sigrid Harald, a NYPD homicide detective. Set on the campus of New York's Vanderlyn College, academic rivalry, petty jealousy, greed, and revenge form the backdrop to the murder of a prominent member of the Art Department faculty. I'm looking forward to reading the other seven books in this series.
Nell
Maron's latest Deborah Knott mystery has Deborah and Dwight in New York, where they cross paths with Sigrid Harald. She interested me enough to read the first book in that series, and I liked it, so will continue. I do find it a bit odd at first, as in the Kinsey Milhone books, when the setting is not old enough to be vintage but too old to be current--what's with the pagers?--but adapt after a while.
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • The Case of the Singing Skirt
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2)
  • Silver Lies (Silver Rush, #1)
  • Wall Street: A History: From Its Beginnings to the Fall of Enron
  • Rest You Merry (Peter Shandy, #1)
  • Snipe Hunt (Professor Simon Shaw, #2)
  • Quieter than Sleep (A Karen Pelletier Mystery, #1)
  • Never Send Flowers (John Gardner's Bond, #13)
  • The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)
  • Deadly Gamble (A Charlie Parker Mystery #1)
Born and raised in central North Carolina, Margaret Maron lived in Italy before returning to the USA where she and her husband now live. In addition to a collection of short stories she's also the author of 16 mystery novels. Her works have been translated into seven languages her Bootlegger's Daughter, a Washington Post Bestseller won Edgar Anthony, Agatha, and Macavity awards. She is a past pres ...more
More about Margaret Maron...

Sigrid Harald (8 books)
  • Death of a Butterfly (Sigrid Harald, #2)
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald, #3)
  • The Right Jack (Sigrid Harald, #4)
  • Baby Doll Games (Sigrid Harald, #5)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald, #6)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • Fugitive Colors (Sigrid Harald, #8)
Bootlegger's Daughter (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #1) Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3) Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2) Up Jumps the Devil (Deborah Knott Mystery, #4) Hard Row (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #13)