Promises

Promises

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  604 ratings  ·  44 reviews
With her three children, beautiful home, and loving husband, Margaret Crane is a woman others would envy.Adam's job has cushioned them nicely over the years, and it should be a time of contentment, rewards, of new challenges together.But lately Adam has been working too late, too hard, at the office. Margaret is sure it's just the rumored takeover of his company--until she...more
Published April 7th 1997 by Dell (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Promises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises

Kim
I found a lot of this book so irritating. Adam and his selfish affair. His lack of parenting. Also, I couldn't see why things had to be quite so hard for Margaret. Such as losing her home - she had very wealthy friends - why didn't they get together and buy her house and rent it back to her? Her pride wouldn't have had to suffer as it would have been an investment for them. Also - why didn't someone (Adam, friends) take the dog instead of it going to strangers? I got tired of listening to Adam a...more
Mary
Jun 07, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
Margaret Crane is a woman many others would envy. With her comfortable home, handsome husband, three beautiful children and rewarding teaching career, Margaret has the perfect life. She and Adam, her husband, have also raised an orphaned cousin, Nina, since her early childhood and she is now a sucessful young decorator in New York City. And yet...Adam is constantly working late at the office; long hours and too much stress Margaret attributes to rumors of a big company takeover as Adam draws awa...more
Meh.
This book.. was quite something.

I liked it in the beginning and towards the end but the middle. The middle made me want to rip my hair off.

So the story goes that Adam is an unfaithful peice of crap and runs off with Randi, the Other Woman. Now the sick twist is that Randi is a bitch (she made it quite obvious its all for the money) and before Adam married Marge (Margret) he cheated on her with the same whore too. So then the whore comes back, Adam leaves and Marge finds herself tumbling into a...more
Angie
Sheila Judson
Margaret has planned her whole life around Adam. Just before marrying right out of college he has an affair but Margaret never has a doubt about their life together. The world revolves around their marriage and their children. What Margaret cannot see is that Adam has never really grown up and taken responsibility for himself and his feelings. Adam finds himself superior to the world and when his old girlfriend pops into his life again, he puffs up with esteem and jumps into the affair head on....more
Barbara Loggia
Light summer read with Belva Plain---two women on opposite sides of two different stories of 'the other woman' and the men involved.
Laura Beasley
Good story but slow pace. Very true to life. Book full of emotions--love, betrayal, sadness, hurt, bitterness and so much more. A couple separate after 15 years of marriage due to the husbands adultery. How this split affects Margaret and Adam and their 3 children. The support of friends during this difficult time. Newell written book. Lots of characters as in most of Belva Plain's books but much easier to keep up with each one. Enjoyable read even though sad at times.
Joanne
A vacation read that traveled to UT, ID and WY. It is the story of a couple married for many years. The husband decides to have an affair and the family becomes dysfunctional. The Ozzie and Harriett family unit becomes prey to current lifestyles. There is a happy ending for one of the partners! This was a good book, but I've read others by Belva Plain that I loved (more of the historical type). Cover is different from the one listed.

Kristy
This was the first Belva Plain book I've read. I found it in a box of old books and I have no clue where it came from. It's a good story. Although you start to hate, I mean really hate, a couple of the characters you can appreciate the storytelling. You start out with a "perfect" family and the man of the house decides he's not happy. Especially after he meets an old flame from college. You can probably see where this is going.
Lovely Rita
Kerri
This book is about two women. One woman is married and being cheated on, and in a separate relationship, her niece is the "other woman."

This book is a bit different from some romance novels. Some books treat divorce as a glitch, and then everyone gets over it and is better off. This books shows divorce for it's very ugly side, and the disastrous effects for the children.

Kathleen
Not my favorite Belva Plain novel. It depicts the husband as a person with zero personality and zero self control and the 'other woman' as pure evil who deliberately tempts a married man away from his family and then turns on them using only sex as a weapon. Not a very realistic scenario in my opinion.
Gretchen
May 03, 2008 Gretchen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gretchen by: Kirsten
WOW! The whole time I was angry with Adam b/c of his affair. I never would have guessed what would have happened at the end. It was a good book to show how a family tries to survive during and after an affair. But it made me so angry. Affairs affect everyone and they seem to be just selfish.
Cyn
I read this long ago but decided to read again,since I couldn't remember the ending. Margaret and the kids all had strong characters that I could feel emotion for. Adam and Randi made me ill.
The story moves slowly and is rather depressing.
This is not a cheer me up type of book.
Dianne Estes
Excellent. I think every young women should read. Gives a really good view of the tragic impact on children when a divorce happens because of another woman as well as the impact on young women who are foolish enough to believe that a married man will leave his family for her.
Sue
Belva Plain's characters are always delved into. I liked this book. It was a typical story of a guy who has an affair and disrupts his entire family's lives. He was a selfish man who carried on with a temptress. It all ended well for the family, however.
Linda
A moving story about promises made and broken all in the name of love and the reprecussions those promises have on the individuals involved and their families. From broken promises, strength of character arises. Beautifully written and deeply touching.
Mary
Feb 24, 2013 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: nook
Stayed up half the night finishing this one. "Betrayed" wife story. And niece is in another relationship where she is the "other woman". Chick story but good. Had to finish it to see how their lives worked out.
Paula
Although the writing was a little strange (the characters did not sound like they were in the 1990's) the story was very interesting. It is a very interesting view into marriage and adultery.
Hubjeanne
An okay read. At least it kept me interested long enough to want to see what happened at the end. It is quite a thought provoker, though. Worth a read if you have nothing better.
MaryHelen
Although the subject matter of this book was sad, it was very well written and so interesting that I couldn't put it down. I thought it was a good read.
Sandy Rogers
So astounded by the emotions I felt while reading this book! I literally had the atlas out looking for this city and Randi!! Great read and superb ending : )
A soap opera type story. No hero and the heroine wasn't very compelling. Book was about adultry and the destruction of a family. A real downer.
Skyqueen
Listened to the audio of this one. Made it come alive. Yep, everybody gets hurt when first we practice to deceive. Humanity never seems to learn.
Andrea
Belva Plain is one of my favorites and this story was no exception. Make time to read this one because once you start, it'll be hard to put down.
Peggy Parsons
The lure of temptation and the destruction of adultery. The melancholy tone worked for the two examples given in this story.
Sandy
If you like historical fiction that tracks a family through time you will love Belva Plain.
Jane De vries
It is a recommended read for someone BEFORE an extra marital affair. Couldn't put it down.
May
T-E-A-R-J-E-R-K-E-R...But hey, it's generally a nice story, albeit kinda heavy in the chest...
Deb
I loved this book. It wasn't at all what I expected. It was an emotional rollercoaster.
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Bed & Breakfast
  • Circle of Three
  • An Act of Love
  • A Secret Affair
  • Green Calder Grass (Calder Saga #6)
  • An Isolated Incident
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • The World of Suzie Wong
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • The Affair: A Novel
  • The Richest Season
  • Nora, Nora
  • All the Numbers
  • One Last Dance
  • The Letters
  • The Red Scream
  • Blood Brother: 33 Reasons My Brother Scott Peterson Is Guilty
Belva Plain was a best-selling American author of mainstream women's fiction.

More about Belva Plain...
Evergreen Homecoming Blessings Tapestry Random Winds