Start by marking “The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)

The Bone House (Cab Bolton #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,092 ratings  ·  266 reviews
Hilary and Mark Bradley are trapped in a web of suspicion. Last year, accusations of a torrid affair with a student cost Mark his teaching job and made the young couple into outcasts in their remote island town off the Lake Michigan coast. Now another teenage girl is found dead on a deserted beach. . . and once again, Mark faces a hostile town convinced of his guilt.

Hilary
Published March 29th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone House

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
Can't Wait Books For 2011
409th out of 1,237 books — 6,943 voters
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin KwanDenali Skies by Danielle RohrAgainst The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Last Boat by John F. HanleyAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Summer 2013 Reading
37th out of 200 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Gary
This book had everything I like in a mystery. The characters were well developed and likable. Mark is a teacher that has lost his job due to accusations of an inappropriate affair with a student. His wife still teaches at the same small town school that Mark did. Being in a small Minnesota town myself and in the field of education, I can imagine the consequences of it. Although Mark is innocent, no one believes him.

When another student turns up dead everything goes from bad to worse. At times, t
Paul Pessolano
"The Bone House" is the best mystery that Brian Freema has put together since his debut novel, "Immoral". Both stories have every element of a mystery/thriller that one could possiby imagine, and both will keep the reader guessin as to the outcome until the very end.

Mark Brady is a high school teacher in a small communty around Lake Michigan. He is accused having an affair with one of his students. Although nothing can be proven and the girl insists that nothing happened between them, he is rele
Suspense Magazine
Here's a psychological thriller done by someone who knows how to write one. While basically a story of a man and wife, the plot bleeds out to include a detective and and CSI analyst, some troubled teenagers, and a terrible tragedy from the past. The tragedy, portrayed in the breathtaking prologue, reaches lethal tentacles into the future and threatens almost everyone involved.
Mark Bradley is having a tough time. He and his wife, Hillary, moved to an idyllic island in rural Door County, northern
Fmilt
This book has so many people doing so many things that no one with a lick of common sense would do that it ruins the book for me. If you can suspend disbelief, the book is well written and could be enjoyed. However there are so many instances in the book where supposedly very bright and able people exhibit no common sense that it insults the reader's intelligence if they take the time to think about it. Big spoiler alert, but this major plot turn just blew my mind and spoiled the book.

This is o
Ⓑⓔⓣⓗ
Awesome book but I honestly don't get why Kate called Hilary to go with her to Jenson's house near the end it doesn't make sense or fit in really or more to the point it's like the author was trying to force the characters to fit.
Nancy
For me, this book read more like a travelogue then a suspenseful murder mystery. The way Brian Freeman describes the nuance of Door County, Wisconsin, I found myself Googling the area instead of paying close attention to the story at hand. I do not know if this was his intention, but I think I can describe the area better than I can the plot and outcome of this book. Which might be a better thing since the atmosphere is much better than the storyline.

There are many characters introduced in this
Chris
Story about a pair of married teachers Mark & Hilary Bradley who leave Chicago for a slower pace in a tight knit community of Door County Wisconsin. Mark is accused of having an affair with a student (who denies it ever happened) and he is fired. Three years later the students younger sister is found dead in Florida at a dance competition where Hilary was a former coach. Mark & Hilary were there on vacation to watch the competition so of course Mark becomes the prime suspect. When lead ...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Have read all his previous books, which are the Jonathan Stride series and great books which I would highly recommend, so this one was a first for me, as it had a new lead character, Cab Bolton, as the lead investigator here, but got to know him pretty quickly and he's a keeper. The story starts with a fire in a house six years previously, where a young girl had crept in to feed a kitten and almost burnt to death in what was the murder of a mother and her two boys by arson. Fast forward six year ...more
Gina
May 24, 2011 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery, crime, and police procedural readers.
Recommended to Gina by: Book Club
Shelves: book-club, mystery
I always love a good mystery read and this is the first time I have read this author. The book started out a little slow butafter the first few chapters it really sped up. I love the cliff hangers at the end of the chapters. The characters were well rounded and I felt like I knew them all. I loved the setting in the story when it moved to Wisconsin. I actually looked on a map to see where this beautiful setting is and it actually looks like a wonderful place to live. The lonliness and sparse pop ...more
Barbi
I'm a big fan of Brian Freeman's novels featuring Lieutenant Jonathan Stride (and Serena Dial). I enjoy Brian's writing style and appreciate that he works hard to give his readers imaginative plots, terrific pacing, and pitch-perfect dialogue. I was hoping that "The Bone House," Brian's new stand-alone novel, would match the brilliance of his Jonathan Stride series. Unfortunately, this book misses the mark somewhat.

Feeling no immediate connection with the cast of characters (or the plot for tha
Marian
Hilary Bradley is determined to prove that Mark is innocent, but she’s on a lonely, dangerous quest. Even when she discovers that
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
What starts this book off is a teacher accused of sexual misconduct with a student....and a fire that kills a family....and then continues with twists and turns including doubts, with murders and near deaths. Until finally the final chapters bring you up to date with what really happened at Bone House and how the fire that killed a family affected a whole town. While slow moving in some chapters I found this book intriguing and surprised at who the people were that were involved in multiple murd ...more
Sandra de koning-vd pol
Wat een geweldig boek! Al die verhaallijnen die uiteindelijk samen vallen inclusief spannend, ontroerend en een volledig vertrouwen. Deze schrijver komt als zijnde favoriet op mijn lijstje. Met dank aan Aletha voor de tip!
Robert
This is a good suspense book with a few twists thrown at the reader at the very end of the book. The engine gets started at the very beginning but you will have to wait until about two thirds of the way into the book for the transmission to shift into drive. The first part of the book is mostly the history behind the whole enchilada and character building. Then the reader can start getting into the good stuff. Some of the twists that seemed as if they were supposed to be a real surprise were a b ...more
Lin
This was a fun summer read and even better because of its settings in Green Bay and Door County. A who dun it with all the right ingredients.
Perri
The best thriller I've read in a long time. The pacing's great-each chapter ends in a cliff hanger with the suspense building. As we slowly get to know the characters, the good guys show cracks, some bad ones become sympathetic-like real life we find complexity in people. The ferry served island with its idiosyncratic people and culture really resonated with me.
Lindsay
I am always astonished when authors have their characters do things that are just plain stupid (Spoiler alert) for instance, someone tries to kill you so the next thing you do is go off to a totally deserted area by yourself. Or you think something bad/tragic is going to happen to someone so you HOP IN THE CAR and go off to stop it. Use a phone people!!! Phone the police!!!
Also, the damaged by life and unable to have healthy relationship cop is such an old saw. And yet this book is quite decentl
Sharon
A married couple moves to a small island town to get away after the husband, a teacher, had been accused of "inappropriate behavior" with a student. In a parallel story, a young girl witnessed and experienced a barn fire. Years later, these to characters meet up in Florida on a beach in the early morning. The girl is found murdered the next morning, and the husband is accused of the crime. His wife is really the main character of the book as it is from her point of view, mostly. Many twists and ...more
Tara
This was a fun read after two heavy nonfiction books. I don't normally read mysteries anymore because I find them predictable, but this one wasn't at all. My mom recommended this book since is takes place at my old stomping grounds...UW-Green Bay and Door County so it was great that I knew the area and am very familiar with the Packer sweatshirt wearing people. It has short chapters and lots of dialogue, which I love, and is a page-turning thrilling. Maybe one too many twists in the end, but it ...more
Amy
I gave this book three stars because I'd really like to read more of Freeman's works, and I enjoyed his descriptive language and plot pacing. However, I found it difficult to invest in any of these characters - a cast with truly one of the most bizarre collection of names I've ever read. I mean wow - Tresa, Delia, Lala, Tarla, Cab, Felix, the list goes on.

There were portions of the story that were quite intriguing, but I found myself not really caring if Mark actually killed Glory or if Tresa r
Dierdra Byrd
The Bone House was is a suspense about a man who is first accused of sleeping with a teenaged student, and then of murder. Marks wife Hillary is sure of his innocence, but then has some doubts. Hillary still wants to stick by her husband.
This was a good suspense, but did not have me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. The writing was good, just nothing blew me away. An author I will read again in the future and a book I would recommend.
Renae L
I was caught off guard by the twist in this book, which is a good thing. Overall a good read.
Misty
The main plot of this book interested me and that is why I picked it up. Only a few pages into it I realized my mistake. The characters were predictable and stereotypical. Every twist and turn I saw coming 50 pages ahead. I will not be reading another one of Brian Freeman's books.
Harriet
Brian Freeman is one of my favorite new authors. The Bone House was exciting, mysterious, and fast paced. Another book that I could not put down. Incredible twists and turns in the plot. To the very end, each page brought more surprises and revelations! 5 stars +
Gerard Oconnell
brilliant, could not put it down. the first brian freeman book i have read. can't wait to read more of his.
Diane S.
Murder mystery set in Door Coounty Wisconsin. Actually kept me guessing until the end and I really had no clue.
Luca Lesi
Una volta aveva chiesto a sua madre se la casa dei Bone fosse infestata dai fantasmi. Lei aveva fatto una faccia strana e aveva risposto che non esistevano fantasmi e mostri, ma solo persone infelici.
description
Il libro di Freeman non mi è proprio piaciuto, tanto da non finirlo.
La storia, pur scritta con un ottimo stile, è una prevedibile sequenza di ovvietà e non riesce, fin dalle prime pagine, a non sentire uno stile da serie televisiva più che da libro.
Le cose non cambiavano mai per il meglio. Peggiorav
Janny
The cover: A year ago, accusations of an affair with a student cost Mark his teaching job and made the couple into outcasts on their island home. Now another girl has been found dead, and Mark faces a hostile town convinced of his guilt.
Hilary Bradley is determined to protect her husband, but digging into the murdered girl’s secrets proves lonely and dangerous. Her only ally is a quirky Florida detective named Cab Bolton.
Hilary and Cab are both outsiders in a place that doesn’t trust strangers,
Julie H.
While I'm not a particular fan of suspense fiction a la James Patterson, the two things I enjoyed most about The Bone House were the setting and the author's ability to have so many different characters in play that you never saw the old "switcheroo" coming with which the plot and many (but not all) of your questions are resolved. This is first and foremost the story of what happens in small rural communities where the life-long locals band together against what they perceive to be outsiders. It ...more
Kata
I've been digging my nose in some trash lately. Can you tell? The last couple of books haven't been my typical literary chow. I've been expanding my tastes, or trying...

I read Immoral by Brian Freeman a few years ago and thought it wasn't horrendously bad, was it? I think I enjoyed it, didn't I? I still have the book on my bookshelf. I must have liked it! Okay, I'll try another. I'm expanding. Expanding. Sometimes you cannot remember if you like or dislike an author. If this has happened to you
  • You're Next
  • The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street #1)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • The Girl Who Disappeared Twice (Forensic Instincts, #1)
  • The Accident
  • A King of Infinite Space
  • Disturbed
  • The Dirty Secrets Club (Jo Beckett #1)
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Long Gone
  • Breaking Silence (Kate Burkholder, #3)
  • Bone Thief
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • Iron House
  • Afraid Of The Dark (Jack Swyteck, #9)
  • Watch Me Die  (Stacy Killian, #4)
Brian Freeman is an international bestselling author of psychological suspense novels, including the Jonathan Stride series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 20 languages and have appeared as Main Selections in the Literary Guild and the Book of the Month Club. His settings in the bleak, frozen landscape of Duluth, Minnesota, and his deeply complex characters, have drawn comparisons to ...more
More about Brian Freeman...
Immoral (Jonathan Stride, #1) Stripped (Jonathan Stride, #2) Stalked (Jonathan Stride, #3) The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5) In The Dark (Jonathan Stride, #4)