Start by marking “The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)

The Bone House (Cab Bolton #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,866 Ratings  ·  345 Reviews
Hilary and Mark Bradley are trapped in a web of suspicion. Last year, accusations of a torrid affair with a student cost Mark his teaching job and made the young couple into outcasts in their remote island town off the Lake Michigan coast. Now another teenage girl is found dead on a deserted beach. . . and once again, Mark faces a hostile town convinced of his guilt.

Hilary
Published March 29th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone House

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
Can't Wait Books For 2011
409th out of 1,221 books — 6,922 voters
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin KwanDenali Skies by Danielle RohrAgainst The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Last Boat by John F. HanleyAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Summer 2013 Reading
38th out of 200 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

Gary
Jul 31, 2014 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
This book had everything I like in a mystery. The characters were well developed and likable. Mark is a teacher that has lost his job due to accusations of an inappropriate affair with a student. His wife still teaches at the same small town school that Mark did. Being in a small Minnesota town myself and in the field of education, I can imagine the consequences of it. Although Mark is innocent, no one believes him.

When another student turns up dead everything goes from bad to worse. At times, t
Michael Burton
Aug 25, 2015 Michael Burton rated it it was amazing
Great Book! The characters were very well developed and drove the story. I have to be honest, when I began the book, it sounded like your typical run-of-the-mill whodunit...not this book. It had many twists and turns. Just when I thought I knew what was going on, the storyline went another way. It was very hard to put the book down.

This is the first book of Mr. Freeman's I have read and it certainly won't be the last.
Kelly
Aug 16, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I loved this first book in the Cab Bolton series. It was fast paced with short chapters, interesting characters and an ending I did not see coming.
Paul Pessolano
Apr 04, 2011 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it
"The Bone House" is the best mystery that Brian Freema has put together since his debut novel, "Immoral". Both stories have every element of a mystery/thriller that one could possiby imagine, and both will keep the reader guessin as to the outcome until the very end.

Mark Brady is a high school teacher in a small communty around Lake Michigan. He is accused having an affair with one of his students. Although nothing can be proven and the girl insists that nothing happened between them, he is rele
Suspense Magazine
Jun 30, 2011 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a psychological thriller done by someone who knows how to write one. While basically a story of a man and wife, the plot bleeds out to include a detective and and CSI analyst, some troubled teenagers, and a terrible tragedy from the past. The tragedy, portrayed in the breathtaking prologue, reaches lethal tentacles into the future and threatens almost everyone involved.
Mark Bradley is having a tough time. He and his wife, Hillary, moved to an idyllic island in rural Door County, northern
Fmilt
Mar 14, 2013 Fmilt rated it did not like it
This book has so many people doing so many things that no one with a lick of common sense would do that it ruins the book for me. If you can suspend disbelief, the book is well written and could be enjoyed. However there are so many instances in the book where supposedly very bright and able people exhibit no common sense that it insults the reader's intelligence if they take the time to think about it. Big spoiler alert, but this major plot turn just blew my mind and spoiled the book.

This is o
The Behrg
May 19, 2016 The Behrg rated it liked it
First, let me say I'm a big Freeman fan. Second, that there are a whole lot of people who obviously loved this book, giving it outstanding ratings. I just wasn't one of them.

The premise of this story revolves around a murder mystery with a cast of characters that include a husband and wife who happened to be at the location where the murder took place. Add to it the fact that the husband lost his job because of a scandal with that girl's sister at school (he's a teacher) and you've got your prim
Beth
Aug 26, 2014 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Awesome book but I honestly don't get why Kate called Hilary to go with her to Jenson's house near the end it doesn't make sense or fit in really or more to the point it's like the author was trying to force the characters to fit.
Linda Strong
Aug 11, 2015 Linda Strong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I was a little hesitant when I first picked this book up. I've followed Brian Freeman for several years and fell in love with his Jonathan Stride series. I just could not imagine a new series that would draw me in as quickly as the other. Boy! Was I wrong!

Cab Bolton is a terrific character. He's rich, thanks to his actress mother, which usually puts him at odds with his fellow detectives. He's got some personal issues with trust, and even though he's attracted to his partner, he keeps pushing he
Stefanie
Jul 20, 2015 Stefanie rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars. I decided to start qualifying the stars I give a book with decimal points. Not to be annoying but to be clear. I rarely rate a book a 5 but I regularly use the 4, and that's because I include a pretty long range of books that I considered above average -really good for different reasons. I'm trying to get better about writing reviews since I rely so much on them.
That said this book was really enjoyable I have read all but one book in Brian Freemans other series set in Duluth Minnesot
Brenda
Mar 01, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it
There were a lot of people and events in this book. They were all nicely tangled until the end. I like it when a book keeps me guessing, makes me doubt certain characters, and pulls me into the story like I was there. Of course, if I had been there, I'd have yelled at some people for doing stupid things, yelled at others for not speaking up, and yelled at still others for jumping to wrong conclusions. How easy it is to ruin the lives of innocent people.
Marian
Aug 19, 2014 Marian rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Hilary Bradley is determined to prove that Mark is innocent, but she’s on a lonely, dangerous quest. Even when she discovers that
Magpie67
A classic Shakespearean tragedy. What if Glory was never at the scene of the fire, and Harris got help for his family? A snowball of sin and deception packed with revenge and mental illness. Throw in a couple not from the area and an innocent event... transfers evil and a path of no return. Small town people with suspicious minds, a creepy pedophile and a corrupt good ol boy sheriff. Secrets have a way of catching up even if they are hidden away with a key or the trauma of the mind.

Can't wait t
Lindsay
Jan 10, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was ok
I am always astonished when authors have their characters do things that are just plain stupid (Spoiler alert) for instance, someone tries to kill you so the next thing you do is go off to a totally deserted area by yourself. Or you think something bad/tragic is going to happen to someone so you HOP IN THE CAR and go off to stop it. Use a phone people!!! Phone the police!!!
Also, the damaged by life and unable to have healthy relationship cop is such an old saw. And yet this book is quite decentl
Karen B.
The story opens with the Prologue where a young girl, Glory, is witness to a horrific fire in which three lives were lost. The reader knows the fire was deliberately set. Six years later, Mark and Hillary Bradley find themselves embroiled in mounting suspicion after a teenage girl is found dead on a Florida beach during Spring Break. The people of the small town in Wisconsin, where the Bradleys are from, are already thinking Mark is guilty because a year ago he was accused of having an affair wi ...more
Mervat
Jun 02, 2015 Mervat rated it it was amazing
Simply amazing. I couldn't put the book down until i reached the last page.
Perri
Aug 06, 2014 Perri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-2014
The best thriller I've read in a long time. The pacing's great-each chapter ends in a cliff hanger with the suspense building. As we slowly get to know the characters, the good guys show cracks, some bad ones become sympathetic-like real life we find complexity in people. The ferry served island with its idiosyncratic people and culture really resonated with me.
Misty
Apr 27, 2012 Misty rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2012
The main plot of this book interested me and that is why I picked it up. Only a few pages into it I realized my mistake. The characters were predictable and stereotypical. Every twist and turn I saw coming 50 pages ahead. I will not be reading another one of Brian Freeman's books.
Luca Lesi
Dec 09, 2014 Luca Lesi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Una volta aveva chiesto a sua madre se la casa dei Bone fosse infestata dai fantasmi. Lei aveva fatto una faccia strana e aveva risposto che non esistevano fantasmi e mostri, ma solo persone infelici.
description
Il libro di Freeman non mi è proprio piaciuto, tanto da non finirlo.
La storia, pur scritta con un ottimo stile, è una prevedibile sequenza di ovvietà e non riesce, fin dalle prime pagine, a non sentire uno stile da serie televisiva più che da libro.
Le cose non cambiavano mai per il meglio. Peggiorav
Nancy
Jul 05, 2011 Nancy rated it liked it
For me, this book read more like a travelogue then a suspenseful murder mystery. The way Brian Freeman describes the nuance of Door County, Wisconsin, I found myself Googling the area instead of paying close attention to the story at hand. I do not know if this was his intention, but I think I can describe the area better than I can the plot and outcome of this book. Which might be a better thing since the atmosphere is much better than the storyline.

There are many characters introduced in this
Kristin
Oct 24, 2011 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I wanted to like this book ('read' it on audio). I really did. It started out strong; the plot pulls a person in...and then I completely lost interest in 2/3 of the characters. I couldn't empathize/care/give a shit about any of them. I got tired of the flashbacks. I grew annoyed with the chronic stupidity - it was a lot like watching the proverbial horror flick and shouting at the screen "NO! Don't open THAT door!".

So, on one hand, Freeman does a very good job of hooking your emotions and pulli
Chris
Apr 16, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brian-freeman
Story about a pair of married teachers Mark & Hilary Bradley who leave Chicago for a slower pace in a tight knit community of Door County Wisconsin. Mark is accused of having an affair with a student (who denies it ever happened) and he is fired. Three years later the students younger sister is found dead in Florida at a dance competition where Hilary was a former coach. Mark & Hilary were there on vacation to watch the competition so of course Mark becomes the prime suspect. When lead ...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
May 28, 2011 Mary Gilligan-Nolan rated it really liked it
Have read all his previous books, which are the Jonathan Stride series and great books which I would highly recommend, so this one was a first for me, as it had a new lead character, Cab Bolton, as the lead investigator here, but got to know him pretty quickly and he's a keeper. The story starts with a fire in a house six years previously, where a young girl had crept in to feed a kitten and almost burnt to death in what was the murder of a mother and her two boys by arson. Fast forward six year ...more
Gina
May 24, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery, crime, and police procedural readers.
Recommended to Gina by: Book Club
Shelves: book-club, mystery
I always love a good mystery read and this is the first time I have read this author. The book started out a little slow butafter the first few chapters it really sped up. I love the cliff hangers at the end of the chapters. The characters were well rounded and I felt like I knew them all. I loved the setting in the story when it moved to Wisconsin. I actually looked on a map to see where this beautiful setting is and it actually looks like a wonderful place to live. The lonliness and sparse pop ...more
Barbi
Jan 29, 2012 Barbi rated it liked it
I'm a big fan of Brian Freeman's novels featuring Lieutenant Jonathan Stride (and Serena Dial). I enjoy Brian's writing style and appreciate that he works hard to give his readers imaginative plots, terrific pacing, and pitch-perfect dialogue. I was hoping that "The Bone House," Brian's new stand-alone novel, would match the brilliance of his Jonathan Stride series. Unfortunately, this book misses the mark somewhat.

Feeling no immediate connection with the cast of characters (or the plot for tha
Fran
Mar 20, 2012 Fran rated it it was amazing
The Bone House
Author: Brian Freeman

Acts of kindness are meant to help others. But, when Glory Fischer enters the garage with her special package in hand, finding her friend and hoping to provide protection not only for the kitten she so wants to protect but hope to keep him safe from harm. Mr. Bone keeps the key under the window ledge of the garage. The night is hot, the heat is unbearable and the garage not a place anyone should be. A pickup truck with a filthy covering and a wooden ladder are
Amy
May 24, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I gave this book three stars because I'd really like to read more of Freeman's works, and I enjoyed his descriptive language and plot pacing. However, I found it difficult to invest in any of these characters - a cast with truly one of the most bizarre collection of names I've ever read. I mean wow - Tresa, Delia, Lala, Tarla, Cab, Felix, the list goes on.

There were portions of the story that were quite intriguing, but I found myself not really caring if Mark actually killed Glory or if Tresa r
Maureen DeLuca
May 17, 2016 Maureen DeLuca rated it really liked it
Brian Freeman is fast becoming one of my favorite authors! This book was great mystery right up to the very end. These characters are all very believable with questionable pasts. The reader never gets a moments rest as the suspense starts from the get go and never lets up. This is also the first in the Cab Bolton series- Cab- a rich, devilish , handsome, rich detective from South Florida. A great book and a great beginning to a new series !
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Sep 12, 2014 Agnes (BeaderBubbe) rated it really liked it
What starts this book off is a teacher accused of sexual misconduct with a student....and a fire that kills a family....and then continues with twists and turns including doubts, with murders and near deaths. Until finally the final chapters bring you up to date with what really happened at Bone House and how the fire that killed a family affected a whole town. While slow moving in some chapters I found this book intriguing and surprised at who the people were that were involved in multiple murd ...more
Darcy
Oct 26, 2011 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, audio-book, mystery
This one started out slow for me. I found myself feeling like how the community did towards Mark. I thought he was probably guilty, that the girl was just covering for him. But as things went on you realize that nothing is what you thought. The good guys weren't quite so good, the supposed bad guys weren't that bad, and the throw away characters not so benign.

Once the story started to roll you really think you know what is going on and things seem cut and dry. It is not until the end when thing
  • You're Next
  • The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street #1)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • The Devil She Knows
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • Never Look Away
  • The Dirty Secrets Club (Jo Beckett #1)
  • Under Fire
  • Bone Thief
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • A King of Infinite Space (Long Beach Homicide, #1)
  • Long Gone
  • Safer
  • Killing Kate (Riley Spartz, #4)
  • Maigret and the Nahour Case
  • The Girl Who Disappeared Twice (Forensic Instincts, #1)
Brian Freeman is an international bestselling author of psychological suspense novels, including the Jonathan Stride and Cab Bolton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 20 languages and have appeared as Main Selections in the Literary Guild and the Book of the Month Club. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled p ...more
More about Brian Freeman...

Cab Bolton (2 books)
  • Season of Fear (Cab Bolton, #2)