Start by marking “The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bone House (Cab Bolton, #1)

The Bone House (Cab Bolton #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  2,600 ratings  ·  319 reviews
Hilary and Mark Bradley are trapped in a web of suspicion. Last year, accusations of a torrid affair with a student cost Mark his teaching job and made the young couple into outcasts in their remote island town off the Lake Michigan coast. Now another teenage girl is found dead on a deserted beach. . . and once again, Mark faces a hostile town convinced of his guilt.

Published March 29th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published September 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bone House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bone House

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris
Can't Wait Books For 2011
408th out of 1,221 books — 6,933 voters
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin KwanDenali Skies by Danielle RohrAgainst The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Last Boat by John F. HanleyAnna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Summer 2013 Reading
37th out of 200 books — 108 voters

More lists with this book...

This book had everything I like in a mystery. The characters were well developed and likable. Mark is a teacher that has lost his job due to accusations of an inappropriate affair with a student. His wife still teaches at the same small town school that Mark did. Being in a small Minnesota town myself and in the field of education, I can imagine the consequences of it. Although Mark is innocent, no one believes him.

When another student turns up dead everything goes from bad to worse. At times, t
Michael Burton
Great Book! The characters were very well developed and drove the story. I have to be honest, when I began the book, it sounded like your typical run-of-the-mill whodunit...not this book. It had many twists and turns. Just when I thought I knew what was going on, the storyline went another way. It was very hard to put the book down.

This is the first book of Mr. Freeman's I have read and it certainly won't be the last.
I loved this first book in the Cab Bolton series. It was fast paced with short chapters, interesting characters and an ending I did not see coming.
Paul Pessolano
"The Bone House" is the best mystery that Brian Freema has put together since his debut novel, "Immoral". Both stories have every element of a mystery/thriller that one could possiby imagine, and both will keep the reader guessin as to the outcome until the very end.

Mark Brady is a high school teacher in a small communty around Lake Michigan. He is accused having an affair with one of his students. Although nothing can be proven and the girl insists that nothing happened between them, he is rele
Suspense Magazine
Here's a psychological thriller done by someone who knows how to write one. While basically a story of a man and wife, the plot bleeds out to include a detective and and CSI analyst, some troubled teenagers, and a terrible tragedy from the past. The tragedy, portrayed in the breathtaking prologue, reaches lethal tentacles into the future and threatens almost everyone involved.
Mark Bradley is having a tough time. He and his wife, Hillary, moved to an idyllic island in rural Door County, northern
This book has so many people doing so many things that no one with a lick of common sense would do that it ruins the book for me. If you can suspend disbelief, the book is well written and could be enjoyed. However there are so many instances in the book where supposedly very bright and able people exhibit no common sense that it insults the reader's intelligence if they take the time to think about it. Big spoiler alert, but this major plot turn just blew my mind and spoiled the book.

This is o
Linda Strong
I was a little hesitant when I first picked this book up. I've followed Brian Freeman for several years and fell in love with his Jonathan Stride series. I just could not imagine a new series that would draw me in as quickly as the other. Boy! Was I wrong!

Cab Bolton is a terrific character. He's rich, thanks to his actress mother, which usually puts him at odds with his fellow detectives. He's got some personal issues with trust, and even though he's attracted to his partner, he keeps pushing he
4.5 Stars. I decided to start qualifying the stars I give a book with decimal points. Not to be annoying but to be clear. I rarely rate a book a 5 but I regularly use the 4, and that's because I include a pretty long range of books that I considered above average -really good for different reasons. I'm trying to get better about writing reviews since I rely so much on them.
That said this book was really enjoyable I have read all but one book in Brian Freemans other series set in Duluth Minnesot
There were a lot of people and events in this book. They were all nicely tangled until the end. I like it when a book keeps me guessing, makes me doubt certain characters, and pulls me into the story like I was there. Of course, if I had been there, I'd have yelled at some people for doing stupid things, yelled at others for not speaking up, and yelled at still others for jumping to wrong conclusions. How easy it is to ruin the lives of innocent people.
Aug 26, 2014 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: audio
Awesome book but I honestly don't get why Kate called Hilary to go with her to Jenson's house near the end it doesn't make sense or fit in really or more to the point it's like the author was trying to force the characters to fit.
Hilary Bradley is determined to prove that Mark is innocent, but she’s on a lonely, dangerous quest. Even when she discovers that
Simply amazing. I couldn't put the book down until i reached the last page.
The best thriller I've read in a long time. The pacing's great-each chapter ends in a cliff hanger with the suspense building. As we slowly get to know the characters, the good guys show cracks, some bad ones become sympathetic-like real life we find complexity in people. The ferry served island with its idiosyncratic people and culture really resonated with me.
Luca Lesi
Una volta aveva chiesto a sua madre se la casa dei Bone fosse infestata dai fantasmi. Lei aveva fatto una faccia strana e aveva risposto che non esistevano fantasmi e mostri, ma solo persone infelici.
Il libro di Freeman non mi è proprio piaciuto, tanto da non finirlo.
La storia, pur scritta con un ottimo stile, è una prevedibile sequenza di ovvietà e non riesce, fin dalle prime pagine, a non sentire uno stile da serie televisiva più che da libro.
Le cose non cambiavano mai per il meglio. Peggiorav
For me, this book read more like a travelogue then a suspenseful murder mystery. The way Brian Freeman describes the nuance of Door County, Wisconsin, I found myself Googling the area instead of paying close attention to the story at hand. I do not know if this was his intention, but I think I can describe the area better than I can the plot and outcome of this book. Which might be a better thing since the atmosphere is much better than the storyline.

There are many characters introduced in this
Story about a pair of married teachers Mark & Hilary Bradley who leave Chicago for a slower pace in a tight knit community of Door County Wisconsin. Mark is accused of having an affair with a student (who denies it ever happened) and he is fired. Three years later the students younger sister is found dead in Florida at a dance competition where Hilary was a former coach. Mark & Hilary were there on vacation to watch the competition so of course Mark becomes the prime suspect. When lead ...more
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Have read all his previous books, which are the Jonathan Stride series and great books which I would highly recommend, so this one was a first for me, as it had a new lead character, Cab Bolton, as the lead investigator here, but got to know him pretty quickly and he's a keeper. The story starts with a fire in a house six years previously, where a young girl had crept in to feed a kitten and almost burnt to death in what was the murder of a mother and her two boys by arson. Fast forward six year ...more
May 24, 2011 Gina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery, crime, and police procedural readers.
Recommended to Gina by: Book Club
Shelves: book-club, mystery
I always love a good mystery read and this is the first time I have read this author. The book started out a little slow butafter the first few chapters it really sped up. I love the cliff hangers at the end of the chapters. The characters were well rounded and I felt like I knew them all. I loved the setting in the story when it moved to Wisconsin. I actually looked on a map to see where this beautiful setting is and it actually looks like a wonderful place to live. The lonliness and sparse pop ...more
I'm a big fan of Brian Freeman's novels featuring Lieutenant Jonathan Stride (and Serena Dial). I enjoy Brian's writing style and appreciate that he works hard to give his readers imaginative plots, terrific pacing, and pitch-perfect dialogue. I was hoping that "The Bone House," Brian's new stand-alone novel, would match the brilliance of his Jonathan Stride series. Unfortunately, this book misses the mark somewhat.

Feeling no immediate connection with the cast of characters (or the plot for tha
The Bone House
Author: Brian Freeman

Acts of kindness are meant to help others. But, when Glory Fischer enters the garage with her special package in hand, finding her friend and hoping to provide protection not only for the kitten she so wants to protect but hope to keep him safe from harm. Mr. Bone keeps the key under the window ledge of the garage. The night is hot, the heat is unbearable and the garage not a place anyone should be. A pickup truck with a filthy covering and a wooden ladder are
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
What starts this book off is a teacher accused of sexual misconduct with a student....and a fire that kills a family....and then continues with twists and turns including doubts, with murders and near deaths. Until finally the final chapters bring you up to date with what really happened at Bone House and how the fire that killed a family affected a whole town. While slow moving in some chapters I found this book intriguing and surprised at who the people were that were involved in multiple murd ...more
This one started out slow for me. I found myself feeling like how the community did towards Mark. I thought he was probably guilty, that the girl was just covering for him. But as things went on you realize that nothing is what you thought. The good guys weren't quite so good, the supposed bad guys weren't that bad, and the throw away characters not so benign.

Once the story started to roll you really think you know what is going on and things seem cut and dry. It is not until the end when thing
Dylan Keefer
A very amazing Mystery / Thriller. It has everything you want from the genre and more, the characters and the plot are both very well developed and realistic.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
Sandra de koning-vd pol
Wat een geweldig boek! Al die verhaallijnen die uiteindelijk samen vallen inclusief spannend, ontroerend en een volledig vertrouwen. Deze schrijver komt als zijnde favoriet op mijn lijstje. Met dank aan Aletha voor de tip!
This is a good suspense book with a few twists thrown at the reader at the very end of the book. The engine gets started at the very beginning but you will have to wait until about two thirds of the way into the book for the transmission to shift into drive. The first part of the book is mostly the history behind the whole enchilada and character building. Then the reader can start getting into the good stuff. Some of the twists that seemed as if they were supposed to be a real surprise were a b ...more
This was a fun summer read and even better because of its settings in Green Bay and Door County. A who dun it with all the right ingredients.
I am always astonished when authors have their characters do things that are just plain stupid (Spoiler alert) for instance, someone tries to kill you so the next thing you do is go off to a totally deserted area by yourself. Or you think something bad/tragic is going to happen to someone so you HOP IN THE CAR and go off to stop it. Use a phone people!!! Phone the police!!!
Also, the damaged by life and unable to have healthy relationship cop is such an old saw. And yet this book is quite decentl
A married couple moves to a small island town to get away after the husband, a teacher, had been accused of "inappropriate behavior" with a student. In a parallel story, a young girl witnessed and experienced a barn fire. Years later, these to characters meet up in Florida on a beach in the early morning. The girl is found murdered the next morning, and the husband is accused of the crime. His wife is really the main character of the book as it is from her point of view, mostly. Many twists and ...more
This was a fun read after two heavy nonfiction books. I don't normally read mysteries anymore because I find them predictable, but this one wasn't at all. My mom recommended this book since is takes place at my old stomping grounds...UW-Green Bay and Door County so it was great that I knew the area and am very familiar with the Packer sweatshirt wearing people. It has short chapters and lots of dialogue, which I love, and is a page-turning thrilling. Maybe one too many twists in the end, but it ...more
This was the first novel I’ve read by Brian Freeman. IT DEFINITELY WILL NOT BE MY LAST.

When I read a novel I enjoy I usually just rate it 4 or 5 stars and move on. When I read a book I don’t enjoy I tend to vent about why I didn’t like it. Keeping in mind I rarely review a novel I like, I will in the case of ‘The Bone House.’ It was simply that great!

This book, to me, was PERFECT. It featured everything I look for and everything I like in a story.

The writing was superb. Mr. Freeman has a gift f
  • The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street #1)
  • You're Next
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Disturbed
  • Trespasser (Mike Bowditch, #2)
  • Buried Secrets (Nick Heller, #2)
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)
  • The Girl Who Disappeared Twice (Forensic Instincts, #1)
  • City Of Fire (Lena Gamble, #1)
  • Under Fire
  • Misery Bay (Alex McKnight, #8)
  • The Devil She Knows
  • The Dirty Secrets Club (Jo Beckett #1)
  • Bone Thief
  • Vodka Doesn't Freeze (Detective Jill Jackson, #1)
  • A King of Infinite Space
  • Never Look Away
Brian Freeman is an international bestselling author of psychological suspense novels, including the Jonathan Stride and Cab Bolton series. His books have been sold in 46 countries and 20 languages and have appeared as Main Selections in the Literary Guild and the Book of the Month Club. He is widely acclaimed for his "you are there" settings and his complex, engaging characters and twist-filled p ...more
More about Brian Freeman...

Cab Bolton (2 books)
  • Season of Fear (Cab Bolton, #2)