If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)

If I Die (Soul Screamers #5)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  9,745 ratings  ·  1,050 reviews
The entire school's talking about the gorgeous new math teacher, Mr. Beck. Everyone except Kaylee Cavanaugh. After all, Kaylee's no ordinary high-school junior. She's a banshee—she screams when someone dies.

But the next scream might be for Kaylee.

Yeah—it's a shock to her, too. So to distract herself, Kaylee's going to save every girl in school. Because that hot new teacher...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Harlequin

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickDivergent by Veronica Roth
YA Novels of 2011
84th out of 1,218 books — 6,653 voters
Bloodlines by Richelle MeadOne Grave at a Time by Jeaniene FrostClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareLover Reborn by J.R. WardThe Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa
Paranormal Titles for 2nd Half of 2011!
24th out of 258 books — 947 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy Darling
*Happy happy dance.* For fans the Soul Screamers series, this book will either be everything you want...or everything you feared most. I fall firmly into the "incoherently happy" camp after reading it.

Soul Screamers as a whole is kind of a funny animal. The mythology is pretty unusual and I really like the unique world that Rachel Vincent creates with her banshees, maras, grim reapers, and demon breath. The stories are admittedly fairly straightforward (think Morganville rather than Chicagoland...more
Patricia BookExhibitionism

asdkjsdfh!!!

I'm speechless. This was so fucking good. Damn. Daaaaaamn.

Might review it later, though.. After I reread it about 349587 times..

Thank you, Rachel Vincent. This feels like all my patience through the last four books and two novellas gets rewarded.

OMG!!! HOLY COW!!! So unexpected and full of craziness, surprises, action, adrenaline and completely not what I thought would ever happen but was everything I could hope for! I might say best one yet even! TEAM TOD can pull out their party balloons, confetti, and hey don't stop there grab the streamers, noisemakers, hats, and presents because that was unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
descriptiondescriptiondescription

"Nobody likes apricot jam.”

"Sure, strawberry is the more obvious choice, but I submit that apricot has a more...more
Kaitlynne
**DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ MY SOUL TO STEAL**
Before I read the book:
This is how it could possibly end:

Tod + Kaylee
Nash + Sabine and
Alec + Emma

And, oddly enough, I would be okay with that. :)

After I read the book:

SPOILERS!!!!!!

OHHH....MYYYY....GOSH!!!!

I was right!! well, partially anyways. I can't believe it! I'm so ecstatic right now, that I'm bouncing off the walls. The last few books that I read had endings that were just kind of... Ehhh. And I was starting to get frustrated. but this b...more
Jessica
May 12, 2011 Jessica marked it as to-read
Shelves: 13-dying-to-read
SEE BELOW - UPDATE 13th MAY 2011 ((but only for those who have read book 1-4) I mean it!!!))

OMG I'm dying to read this. Dying!!!

What is going to happen?

[image error]

No seriously, what do you think is going to happen? Will somebody die? Will the relationship drama be continued? Argh, these books are driving me nuts.

UPDATE:

My friend Mel has sent me this link to an interview with Rachel Vincent and OMG I’m sick with dread O_O

UPDATE UPDATE:

Well...this sucks. Now there's one review on here and wha...more
Lupita
I cant wait i hope kaylee ends up with tod i never really liked nash i dont no why he just rbbes me the wrong way. maybe thats why rachel vincent put bina in the books so nash will realize he wants her and not kayle! if its not the last one something better happen between tod and kaylee!! (you can only go so far on hope:)

ok rachel posted the main idea so mabey kaylee dies and becomes a reaper and then she can be with tod

POST READING:ooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmggggggggggggg IM SORRY I NE...more
Rachel
Jun 13, 2012 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
Originally read 6/4-6/5/11 and reviewed. Gave it my off-the menu 6 star rating on the blog.
Re-read 6/1/12. On re-read would also give it 6 stars.

Every time Kaylee Cavanaugh thinks things are beginning to settle down at Eastlake High, something always happens. When she suddenly has to fight against singing for a soul in the middle of her new math teacher’s class, she can hardly believe it.

She knew that as long as the Netherworld’s base of operations sat just below the thin veil that separated the...more
Avery
***May contain spoilers***

It is inevitable people are going to be heartbroken by this book because Kaylee has to make some really serious and life-changing decisions to make. That being said, the heartbreak that you are bound to experience while reading this book doesn't make you dislike the book one bit, if anything, it makes you love the world that Rachel has created even more than you thought possible.

It becomes evident that Rachel has grown as an author tremendously as an author while writi...more
Neeriak
If Kaylee doesn't end up with Tod in the Soul Screamers series, I'd take off Rachel Vincent in my list of favorite authors..LOL (but so far, I still love her!)
...I just love Kaylee and Tod, I don't like Nash for her and rather let Sabine have him.

***
This book totally took me by surprise!
I was only hoping for more of Kaylee/Tod flirting but never imagined that they'll end up together in this book. And I really did my 'dorky dance' when Kaylee kissed Tod.. AHH MY GAWD!! :)
Now Rachel Vincent is one...more
Meaghan
this book for all the awards.....
* contain slight spoilers*

Prior to If I Die, Soul Screamers had always been a B series for me. When the books came out they were never must reads and I was never totally invested in them like some other series.

If I Die changed all that. In this book Rachel Vincent upped the ante in a major way and this series has become one of my favorites in the genre.

I'm not going to go into details about the plot suffice to say
description on so many levels.

One of the things that I lov...more
Jena
In the acknowledgments, Rachel states that she always says "this is her best one yet!" but with this one... She is 826% correct! IF I DIE was outstanding, it truly was the best one yet. If I Die had everything you could have ever asked for: romance, anger, death, heartbreak, struggles, laughs, triumphs, fights, and super smexy times! I could have not asked for a better fifth book. I am anxiously waiting for BEFORE I WAKE because I absolutely need more an cannot wait to see what happens next. TOD...more
Tabby
Jan 12, 2012 Tabby marked it as no-longer-interested
I really hope the author doesn't put Kaylee and Tod together, because if she does I think I will be finished with this series. Dating brothers is just wrong!

UPDATE

(view spoiler)
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
So I have no idea how to review this one without revealing major spoilers! Like I can’t even talk about pretty much the whole second half of the book so this review is going to be short and sweet. It was fantastic the end!

Ok but seriously I’ll try to do my best here. I loved this book it’s the best in the series! We get the whole crew back and tons of sexy times I won’t say with whom. I actually started to like Sabine in this book and Nash is starting to redeem himself in my eyes which I thought...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

There is a reason that IF I DIE is the first book in the Soul Screamers series to break from the “My Soul to…” formula. Everything we thought we knew, everything we’d been hoping for, planning for, and partially dreading, changes. This is a series that has been building momentum with each book, breaking rules, breaking hearts (both the readers and the characters), and IF I DIE breaks more than all the previous books combined.

I’ve learned from the previo...more
Andrea
Mary (BookHounds)
Sunny

This is me during the whole book. Just... Slow. Streaming. Tears.

WOW!!! What a book.

(view spoiler)...more
Chanelle
Wow. That's all I can say. I think this book was my favourite of the series because there are things - which I won't spoil - that happen and I was like THANK GOD FOR THAT. Seriously. I tore through most of this book in a couple of hours and could not get enough.

Kaylee remains a consistently strong character while she fights for whats right, even when dealing with her own impending death. All of our favourite characters remain, and I think what I liked most about this book was while Averi was st...more
Amy Jacobs
Just when I thought my heart would collapse from the torture of My Soul To Steal, the author ripped my heart out of my chest and fed it to the Hellion's for a new chew toy in If I Die. Talk about an emotional roller coaster of a series! I have read about Banshee's, Hellion's, Reaper's, Demons Breath and now love that can break your heart into pieces. The author brought it for this book and knocked me down hard!

I am having such a hard time writing a review on this book! Everything I want to say o...more
Chrissy
Oh. My. Tod. This book was amazing! Killer plot, new evil beings, complex relationships, and a literal life-or-death situation. I absolutely devoured it. And the ending....holy Tod, the ending. I did not expect what happened, yet it was completely fitting. I am so excited for the next installment of this series.

One of the strengths of the Soul Screamers series is the cast of characters. There are a lot of them, and Rachel Vincent doesn't forget about them or make them disappear. She weaves them...more
Kat (idangerous)
Jul 24, 2012 Kat (idangerous) rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: soul screamer fans, people who hate nash, team tod lovers
Recommended to Kat (idangerous) by: the one that started my on soul screamers aka Kat(no not me, my friend)
Oh to put in words how I feel...there are none. but I will say this:
1) *smacks Nash*
2) *punches Nash cause Sab didn't do it hard enough in my opinion*
3) *wonders what Kaylee is thinking bout*
4) *supports the kiss*
5) *Cheers on Levi* I do this because Levi is one of those people you love to hate. I can't say why though.
6) Tod I want to make you a banner! Your lines in here were really funny. Talking about how 'functional' you are cause of Emma's comments.
7) Kaylee I have to say, I think you a...more
Sunnykimmy
Updated!!

Before reading...

I was just wondering about the speculation of a possible relationship between Tod and Kaylee, and how the best way to make it work would be -and according to some will be- her turning into a reaper.

And while I agree that there is probably something there between Kaylee and Tod even though Kaylee is too involved with Nash to notice and Tod is probably in denial.

(I'm thinking that even when he's not completely in denial, I imagine an argument with himself would go some...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Andrea for TeensReadToo.com

Kaylee is just starting to get her life back to normal - again - when she walks in on her dad and Tod talking. Tod has seen the death list for that week, and Kaylee's on it! Determined not to let her last six days be for nothing, she decides to fix one more wrong at her high school.

The new math teacher, Mr. Beck, is an incubus and is set on having a son - by mating with a student! When Mr. Beck sets his sights on Emma, Kaylee knows that this will be her las...more
I heart MOLDY APPLES

Before reading
04/23/11
I don't know but I was just thinking, couldnt it be possibly that Kaylee might end up as a reaper.. I mean it would only seem right...

This book can go alot of ways....
Todd ends up with Kaylee..
Nash ends up with Sabine...
Todd has been assigned to collect Sabine...
Possibilities are endless. I do hope that Kaylee just dumps Nash. He is not good for her! Everything about him says selfish and undeserving. And if Rachel hooks her up with Todd, how the hell would that work? He is...more
Jennifer Armentrout
Wow. Loved it. Can't wait for the next
Mitchii
This is probably the hardest review to write ever. I’m still taking everything in. Yes, as in everything in this book is made of deliciously well plotted scenes, undeniably awesome characters *coughs* Tod *coughs* and heart stopping revelation that still shocked me until now. After I read it, I have this strong urge to reread it immediately, that’s how addicting it is. Once is definitely not enough to relish this book’s awesomeness. And before I start gushing like a mad fangirl, I have to get th...more
Bailey (IB Book Blogging)
Ummm....WOW. Rachel Vincent did it again with IF I DIE. With the very first line, I found myself sucked into Kaylee's world and I couldn't think of anything else until I finished the novel. Heck, I found myself thinking of IF I DIE long after I finished it! Vincent brings about many shocking and amazing situations that remind me of why I fell in love with this series. Nothing is predictable in IF I DIE and there events that happen in IF I DIE are sure to gratify fans! I don't think I can ever ge...more
Kristi-The Book Faery
THE FAERYS VIEW

The entire Soul Screamers Series by Rachel Vincent has been a favorite since I read the free prequel on my Kindle. I couldn’t believe my luck at finding such a gem! Since then, it’s only gotten better and better. Ms. Vincent writes the series tackling different issues in each novel-I LOVE that! There are the same characters in each novel but there’s always the introduction of new characters in each one, broadening the cast and keeping the series fresh and new.

In My Soul to Steal t...more
Mimi Valentine
OH MY GOSH, I LOVED THIS BOOK! I'm a total fan girl — I don't even know where to start!

If I Die is book five in the Soul Screamers series (which is honestly one of my favourites of all time) and I still don't know how Rachel Vincent keeps making each one better! This one was definitely the best one yet!

I love everything about this series. It's intense and original and filled with so many twists that it could snap your neck. Plus, it's about bean sidhes (pronounced banshees), which is way cooler...more
Lisa Howe
Oh. My. God. BEST BOOK EVER!! Seriously, for all Tod fans out there - you will LOVE this book! Ever since "My Soul to Steal", I'd pretty much been thinking: "Awww! Why does Nash get the girls fighting over him? TOD IS SO MUCH MORE AMAZING. And yet so alone..."
Oh, how I adore him. :)

Not that I didn't feel terrible for Nash when (view spoiler) but, to be honest, I was mostly just happy for Tod. After all, he HAS been waiting a...more
Team Nash or Tod???? 160 309 Mar 09, 2014 02:58PM
Team Tod Rejoice Here After Reading *Spoilers* 74 292 Jan 06, 2014 02:32PM
Crazy for Young A...: If I Die (Soul Screamers #5) by Rachel Vincent → Start Date: August 25th, 2013 44 21 Aug 29, 2013 07:41PM
how do you pronounce..... 4 19 Mar 17, 2013 12:44PM
Tod and Kaylee 41 165 Jan 02, 2013 02:31PM
Sabine: Some Thoughts 5 26 Jul 19, 2012 10:37AM
The Soul Screamer...: If I Die 2 11 Jul 16, 2012 09:31AM
  • Shift (Shade, #2)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • Reckoning (Strange Angels, #5)
  • Trial by Fire (Raised by Wolves, #2)
  • Original Sin (Personal Demons, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Muse (Mercy, #3)
  • Twisted (Intertwined, #3)
  • Surrender  (Haunting Emma, #3)
  • Charmfall (Dark Elite, #3)
  • Sirensong (Faeriewalker, #3)
  • Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
  • Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles, #4)
  • Eternity (Fallen Angel, #2)
  • One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2)
[Note: Though Rachel's blog entries are cross posted here, she does not frequent Goodreads. The best ways to contact her are FB, Twitter, or her Wordpress blog. PLEASE DO NOT SEND HER MESSAGES HERE. SHE DOES NOT CHECK THEM.]

A resident of Oklahoma, Rachel Vincent has a BA in English and an overactive imagination, and consistently finds the latter to be more practical. She shares her workspace with...more
More about Rachel Vincent...
My Soul to Take (Soul Screamers, #1) Stray (Shifters, #1) My Soul to Save (Soul Screamers, #2) My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3) Pride (Shifters, #3)

“You just say the word, and I'll make the rest of the world go away. I'll take you someplace safe, where no one else can reach us.” 235 likes
“Only two years dead, and it was getting harder for me to feel…anything. I was starting to slip into the darkness. The numbness. And the worst part is that it wasn’t even scary. I was losing myself, and I didn’t even care. Then I met you, and at first I didn’t understand what had happened. What had changed. All I knew was that I wanted to be near you. Then you helped me with Addison, even though it nearly got you killed—I nearly got you killed—and I started to understand how special you are. But by then, you were getting serious with Nash. With my brother—one of few people in the whole world I still gave a damn about. So I tried to stay away. I tried so hard.” His voice cracked on the last word, and my heart cracked with it. Tears stood in my eyes, but I was afraid to let them fall. I was afraid to even breathe for fear of missing a single word. "But you kept pulling me back. You’re the brightest thing I’ve ever seen, Kaylee. You’re this beautiful ball of fire spitting sparks out at the world, burning fiercely, holding back the dark by sheer will. And I always knew that if I reached out—if I tried to touch you—I’d get burned. Because you’re not mine. I’m not supposed to feel the fire. I’m not supposed to want it. But I do. I want you, Kaylee, like I’ve never wanted anything. Ever. I want the fire. I want the heat, and the light, and I want the burn.” 192 likes