The Quick and the Thread

The Quick and the Thread (An Embroidery Mystery #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,127 ratings  ·  106 reviews
First in a new mystery series that will have readers stitching-and itching for more
When Marcy Singer opens an embroidery specialty shop in quaint Tallulah Falls, Oregon, she throws a soiree and a Stitch-In. Soon, Marcy's sign- up sheet for embroidery classes fills up and everyone in town seems willing to raise a glass-or a needle-to support the newly-opened Seven Year St...more
Published August 1st 2010 by New American Library

To ask other readers questions about The Quick and the Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quick and the Thread

Heather L
Aug 30, 2010 Heather L rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather L by: Kaye
Shelves: mystery, 2010
A good story. I liked the locale and characters, and especially the setting of a needlecrafts shop. I really wanted to give it four stars. The biggest reason for downgrading it is this: if an author is going to write a series centered around a craft, especially one she professes to have done, then she ought to be able to get the little details right.

Several times throughout the book, the author incorrectly refered to a 3/4 stitch as a half stitch. They are not the same thing. Anyone who does co...more
Ronna
This is the first book in the embroidery mysteries with Marcy Singer in Tallaluh Falls, Oregan. Marcy has just revamped her new store, The Seven Year Stitch, and has planned a gala opening. The old owner of her store's spot used to run a hardware store there. He crashed her party, drunk and making strange claims, and by the next day he was found dead in the store's storage area. Did he die naturally from drinking, or were his scratchings on the wall a clue to his murder?

This was an especially f...more
chrisa
So far I'm not really enjoying this book...I find the main character's life unbelievable. She decides she wants to move across the country and open a store, okay, she decides she needs a new car to drive up and down the coast, ok, she decides she needs to rent/buy a house, ok... Opening a shop is expensive (especially in the three months out of the blue she manages to do it in), never mind moving fees, buying stock, add onto that a new car and new residence, and I am wondering where her money is...more
Judy Iliff
What a nice story. Nothing over the top or unbelievable. The setting is Oregan where Maggie has just opened her dream sop - a crounted cross stitch and needlework shop. Unfortunately, within the first two days of her grand opening, two men who came into the shop, each on a different day, are found dead.

Maggie's character isn't one of tons who decdes to do whatever because a man told her not to.

The storyline is character driven, and the explanations of the variou cross stitch project makes me wan...more
Shonda
The Quick and the Thread is the first book of An Embroidery Mystery series. Marcy Singer leaves San Francisco for Tallulah Falls, Oregon to pursue her dream of owning her own embroidery shop The Seven Year-Stitch. Her best friend and former college roommate, Sadie and her husband Blake, also reside there. The couple owns MacKenzies’ Mochas, which is conveniently located next door to Marcy’s shop.

The night of her open house, former tenant Tim Enright crashes the party and is determined to speak w...more
Pam
It's a good first book in a new series. I liked the characters...I even liked including Angus the Irish Wolfhound being frequently mentioned. And for a person who's done a great deal of needlecraft in the past, I enjoyed the setting and the vivid details of the Marcy's shop. (There are a couple of stitch related errors but if you haven't cross-stitched, you'd never catch them).

The personalities of the characters are fairly well developed as is the mystery, and there are plenty of twists and turn...more
Julie P
Cozy, crafty mysteries are really becoming quite commonplace, so it is hard to find one that really stands out from all the rest. Amanda Lee's _The Quick and the Thread_ is definitely above average, and is worth a look. In an easy read, Lee's heroine, Marcy Singer, comes across as likable and not overly "cute" and perfect, like characters seen in other books. She may have flaws, but really she is an innocent abroad, if by abroad we mean moving from San Francisco to Oregon. Marcy fulfills her dre...more
Grey853
Zoe
I loved this book! I was amazed a the way the author created such great characters and Angus was just adorable! The plot was smart and well crafted, even though I had the killer's identity toward the end of the book, but of course this didn't spoil the fun for me.I' m now waiting for the next installment which will be out on February 1st.
Jillian
I am converting notes I made a while ago on a few embroidery crime books for my blog into Goodreads reviews. In this one, Marcie Singer, a San Francisco accountant is persuaded by a friend in Oregon to lease a vacant shop and pursue a dream of an embroidery business. After the shop's gala opening, a guest s found dead in a storeroom. Marcie becomes afraid for her own safety and starts asking questions.

Although the plot is somewhat predictable, there is interest in the building of relationships a...more
Laurel-Rain
When Marcy Singer decides to start a new life in Tallulah Falls, Oregon, where her college roommate now lives, she is very excited. Leaving her career as an accountant and her life in San Francisco, she opens her embroidery shop, Seven Year Stitch. She is poised to enjoy everything about this life, from the small town coziness to the creativity.

But almost immediately, she is thrust into a set of frightening incidents, beginning with the dead body of the former tenant in her storeroom.

Because the...more
Chris Curtis
Text Addict
So the first question in my mind was: Does the world need another needlecraft-based cozy series when Monica Ferris is still writing? The answer is, Sure. They aren't all that much alike. Marcy Singer, the protagonist of this one, opened her needlework shop because she wanted to ditch her accountant career. Her mom is a movie-industry costume designer (present only on the phone in this book). And the mystery doesn't focus on any obscure types of needlework, fabric, or yarn.

So it's a good mystery...more
Marlyn
In this first book of the Embroidery Mystery series, we meet Marcy Singer, who has given up her accounting career in San Francisco to start an embroidery shop called The Seven Year Stitch Tallulah Falls, a small town on the Oregon coast.

Marcy is understandably excited about her Grand Opening party, but the occasion is marred by the arrival of Tim Enright, owner of the failed hardware store that formerly occupied the spot. Appearing to be inebriated, Tim keeps trying to tell her something importa...more
Mirjam
Mysteries are definitely my cup of tea. If the story appeals to me, I will read it even though I may not be familiar with or even interested in something like embroidery. For Amanda Lee's The Quick and the Thread is the first book in her embroidery mysteries. And what a fabulous kick-off to a series!

Marcy Singer has always dreamt of having her own embroidery specialty shop, so it doesn't take her friend Sadie long to convince her to move to Tallulah Falls, Oregon, when a great opportunity arise...more
Angela
Marcy is on a new adventure in her life...starting her own embroidery shop and moving to a new places. She is after a fresh start and enjoys the idea of doing a dream of hers and being close to her best friend while doing it. What she doesn't expect and didn't dream of, was a dead man in her storage room. The former leaser of her shop came stumbling in to her grand opening party drunk as a skunk and saying he had to tell her something. She avoided him and then he appeared to have left, so she ne...more
Scarlett Sims
This book is reviewed according to my cozy mystery review rubric at http://sprechensiesims.blogspot.com/p....

Concept: The protagonist has just moved to a small town in Oregon to open an embroidery shop.

Integration of Concept: The embroidery wasn't integral to the mystery or the solving of the mystery; the body was found in the storeroom of the shop.

Setting and Characters: It's the standard cozy small-town setting. This is the first book in a series so the characters are just being introduced, bu...more
Dany
This was the first in an embroidery themed mystery series that is a new author for me. It was pretty good, the mystery was a good one, the dreaded "amateur sleuth gets involved by being accused of the crime" was not painful like it usually is, and the characters were good. Only two issues: one, the lead character owns a needlework shop and she has a manikin/doll she has named and who is almost a character; I find that creepy. Also it appears there is going to be some sort of love interest triang...more
Cassidy
3.5 stars. Most cozy mysteries I've tried to read lately have had terrible writing - not so with this one. It was a pretty entertaining read and I think I'll definitely be continuing with the series in the future.
Carol
Good cozy, would like to read more in the series. The characters and plot were fairly well developed, although I bogged down some on the financial scheming. But my plot-tracking ability was probably affected by reading interruptions for a couple of nonrenewable library reserves.

Very minor quibble: I don't do embroidery, so it doesn't affect me directly, but I was a little surprised that there wasn't an embroidery pattern or something else embroidery-related in the book, outside of the text. I gu...more
Marlene
Loved it. Goodreads recommended it based upon other reads. Mostly because of needlework shop setting and price of kindle editions, I followed the recommendation. Will read the entire series, I'm sure.
This is just shy of a 4* read, so more like 3.75* I adored it. It was fun, funny, and fast paced. I had some thoughts about who did it, but I was not 100% sure of the culprit. The one thing that I didn't like was that for some reason I had trouble keeping the two victims straight. I'm not sure if it was because sometime they were referred to by their first names and sometimes by their last names or what, but I kept getting confused about which victim was which. Otherwise, it was great. (view spo...more
Romilly
If you like small cozy mysteries, the Oregon Coast, and aren't too picky about wanting to strangle a cross stitch shop owner who arranges her cross stitch threads not by number, but by pretty color, you may like this book.

It's a pretty straightforward cozy mystery. New girl moves to small OR coastal town to open embroidery shop, finds previous tenant dead in her storeroom on opening day, is a suspect in murder and must clear herself.

Other than being annoyed by the aforementioned organization o...more
Miriam
Okay, I'll admit I'm a sucker for a fun mystery with a stitching theme. This one was lots of fun and I didn't figure out whodunnit until the very end.
Sheila
Good story. I didn't know who did it right until the end. It made me want to take up embroidery and cross stitch again.
Mary-kaye
I really enjoyed this. Loved the incorporation of the dog and the social aspect of her embroidery shop.
LeAnne
A cozy embroidery mystery. I had read this series out of order, so I backed up to read the first one in the series. Enjoyed it.
Jessi
Marcy Singer (like the sewing machine. For an embroiderer?) is celebrating the opening of her new shop. At least until a dead body shows up. It's the man who used to rent her building. He had crashed the party, seemingly very drunk but now he's in the basement of Marcy's shop having left a cryptic message etched on the wall. It's a link to a Ponzi scheme that occurred before Marcy moved to town but apparently is still causing repercussions.
A little convoluted and we have the eternal love triang...more
Patricia
Let's say 3 1/2 *. Found it in a book store - and almost missed my flight as I was dithering to find something to read on the plane. I liked the name as I am an embroiderer and thought it could be pretty fun to read a mystery set in an embroidery shop.

It didn't disappoint, although I have to say the main character isn't hugely consistent. One minute she's totally savvy and a real business person, the next she can't connect the dots. That's a bit disconcerting, but OK, maybe we're all like that...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I liked this book very very much. I liked the mystery, I liked the characters, and I liked the location and I liked...well, you get the idea...I liked this book.

The muder takes place in an embroidery store storage room. The body leaves a message and off we go on the adventure. I liked the store and the dog and ...oh there I go again.

What a familiar voice the book held for me. I am not familiar with Ms. Lee but felt I had read her work before...and ,I know, liked it greatly.
A mystery for me!

Treat...more
  • Sew Deadly (A Southern Sewing Circle, #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • A Crafty Killing (Victoria Square, #1)
  • Hooked on Murder (Crochet Mystery, #1)
  • Tressed to Kill
  • Button Holed (Button Box Mystery, #1)
  • Fundraising the Dead (Museum, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • Grace Under Pressure (A Manor House Mystery, #1)
  • Farm Fresh Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Pleating for Mercy (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery, #1)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)

Amanda Lee is a pseudonym of Gayle Trent.

Series:
* Embroidery Mystery

(from Gayle Trent's webpage)

"Thank you so much for stopping by my site!

I live in Southwest Virginia with my husband and two beautiful children, a boy and a girl. I’m a full-time writer/editor/mom/wife and chief cook and bottle washer, and I lov...more
More about Amanda Lee...
Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2) Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3) The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4) Thread on Arrival (An Embroidery Mystery, #5) Cross Stitch Before Dying (An Embroidery Mystery, #6)