Chickens: Tending A Small-Scale Flock For Pleasure And Profit

Chickens: Tending A Small-Scale Flock For Pleasure And Profit

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Hobby Farms Chickens: Tending a Small-Scale Flock for Pleasure and Profit is geared toward the hobby farmer looking to begin his or her own flock of chickens on a small farm or even backyard. Author Sue Weaver, who keeps various exotic breeds and countless barnies on her farm, is an expert on all things livestock and an avowed chicken fanatic. This photo-filled guide begin...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Hobby Farm Press

To ask other readers questions about Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chickens

Shane Westfall
I wanted to like this one, I really did. I have enjoyed many of the authors articles. This book, however, has lots of pretty pictures and way to little info in my opinion. Perhaps it might make a nice read for one who is mildly curious about chickens, but for any novice who is seriously considering raising them I suggest skipping this one and just buying the Storey guide.
Spencer
I can't help it. I love Sue Weaver's books. I've read two of her goat books and really enjoyed them. I also love her articles in Hobby Farms. I liked this book even more.

I started this book thinking, what can this book have that all the other chicken references don't? I was immediately drawn in by her description of the history of fowl domestication. I learned quite a few things too.

The majority of the book is practical information on raising a backyard flock. Nothing earth-shattering, but all p...more
Nova
This was a good primer on chicken care for beginners with lots of nice pictures and several lists of good resources. It could have gone into more detail on topics but at least it gives you a good place to start. I found it easy to read, enjoyable and informative.
Dan
This book does exactly what it sets out to do: to educate rookies and chicken mavens, alike (although its primary target is for beginners). Full of information on life-cycle, habitats, diet, and other topics of importance for the hobby farmer, this book should be ready at hand before you bring your chicks home, and will likely be used many times during the life of your hen-house. Covering topics from breed selection for your climate, to constructing various coops, to prevention of illness, Chick...more
D.K. Kade
Sue Weaver brilliantly explains the basic ins and outs of chickens and their needs. This book is simply written and makes the prospect of raising a flock seem less daunting than other literature of the same genre. It is by no means a comprehensive encyclopedia of poultry knowledge, but it provides a clever introduction for interested hobbyists. This book will supplement your collection of chicken books quite well.

It covers topics such as chicken coops, basic incubation techniques, common fowl di...more
Marina
There is a lot of good information in this book. No breeds listed but that's ok. I liked the chapters on raising the chicks and the housing requirements. The author adding charts with the basic info was helpful for pulling everything together in one spot but then you can also read the chapter for more details.
Maureen Mantrop-utterback
love it!! Its great to read about something that really matters to you. Also good to know I've been doing it right all along, but got some helpful ideas and lots of questions answered.
Alexandrea
Sort of difficult to rate a book like this by how much I liked it. So I gave it 4 stars for being very helpful and informative in my quest towards owning chickens.
Abby
Another good starter book with a little more info than the rodale publication. This woman speaks from experience, mainly, though lacking in much natural info, as well.
April
good info section on breeds, but otherwise just kind of ok. kind of small and pamphlety, if you want to judge a book by its cover.
CFAITC
An instructional guide that directs new and experienced farmers through the nuances of tending a small-scale flock.
Mark Kricheff
Getting ready to get our Cornish cross meat and Buff Orpington dual-purpose chicks for free-ranging at the Lazy K Farm.
JoDean
Great photos! Nice, easy to read information. A good beginning book. I'd like to own it just for the photos!
Krystal
A good resource for beginners who want to raise chickens.
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Homa
Homa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Emilyh
Emilyh is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2014
Kity
Kity is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Backyard Goat: An Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese Goats: Small-scale Herding for Pleasure And Profit The Donkey Companion: Selecting, Training, Breeding, Enjoying & Caring for Donkeys Llamas and Alpacas: Small-scale Herding for Pleasure and Profit Sheep: Small-Scale Sheep Keeping For Pleasure And Profit