Start by marking “Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3)

Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles #3)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A beautiful, iron-willed heiress to power, Joanna secretly burns with an explosive inner passion as wild and radiant as her flaming red hair. But her deepest emotions are tragically frozen by the cold fear of a man's tender love. Caught in the dangerous intrigues of King John's court, the noblewoman comes face to face with Geoffrey, an irresistible knight.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1994 by Leisure Books (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Joanna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joanna

The Bride by Julie GarwoodA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtThe Secret by Julie GarwoodRansom by Julie GarwoodHonor's Splendour by Julie Garwood
Best Medieval Romance Novels
155th out of 405 books — 654 voters
When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay PenmanKatherine by Anya SetonTime and Chance by Sharon Kay PenmanThe Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay PenmanDevil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman
Medieval England (Historical Fiction)
91st out of 168 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Misfit
Do not let the cheesy 70's cover fool you; this is solid historical fiction and not a mindless bodice ripping romance. Joanna is the daughter of Alinor of Roselynde and heiress to her mother's great landholdings. Her mother and step-father, Ian de Vipont want to betroth Joanna to Geoffrey Fitzwilliam who is the illegitimate son of King John's half brother William Salisbury. As Joanna and Geoffrey are called to court, they are caught up in the prevalent intrigues and corruption of John's court. K ...more
Lisa Kay
I loved the Roselynde Chronicles and this was a favorite of mine in the series. Joanna was so frightened and managed to be brave and fell in love with Groffery at first sight (sound - LOL).
Hillari Delgado
'Joanna' is the third volume in Robert Gellis's beloved 'The Roselynde Chronicles.' The series was recently released in ebook format so I am enjoying the chance to revisit some old favorites. (See my Goodreads reviews of 'Alinor' and 'Gilliane.')

'Joanna' is problematic for me. Usually Gellis's accurate historical detail and events is her greatest strength, giving strong context for her characters' actions and emotion and immersing the reader in another world. in 'Joanna,' however, context has tr
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
“A love so rare it becomes the deadliest risk of all” is a love that Joanna is afraid to experience.

In the time of King John before the Magna Carta, England seethed with uneasiness, uncertainty, cruel wars, and intrigues that fermented to the point of exploding.

Fifteen-year-old Joanna, Alinor’s daughter and heiress to Roselynde is capable, intelligent, and can manage a castle well. She controls servants and men-at-arms with fairness and firmness. She manages accounts and metes out justice with
Oriana
After reading the first two books of The Roselynde Chronicles, I knew I had to continue the series even if I knew that Alinor and Ian de Vipont were not the main characters of the story.

Joanna is the eldest daughter of Alinor and her first husband, Simon. She is the heiress of Roselynde and was raised accordingly to her rank. Joanna is young but of marriageable age and her parents want her betrothed to Geoffrey Fitzwilliam, the young son of William of Salisbury. Geoffrey had a hard life at court
Amanda
In the 3rd book of the Roselynde series, we spend several years with Joanna and Geoffrey. This book was very frustrating for me, because all through the book (about five years), the two are completely in love and totally at odds. They're both miserable because neither will tell each other what is really going on. They're too busy trying to protect themselves and each other. Then, at the end, instead of us getting a glimpse of some kind of illuminating conversation, they're just suddenly happy an ...more
Sharon
I happily discovered this older reissue as a free kindle download. There are several books in this Roselynde historical fiction series. It takes places during medieval times in England, Wales and Normandy. The story continues as the daughter of Elinor (Joanna) grows up during the reign of King John and Queen Isabella. They are enemies to her going back to incidents in book 1 with her mother. Joanna swears she will never allow herself to love the man she marries, to avoid being hurt as her mother ...more
Michele
I like both Joanna and Geoffrey as heroine and hero. Geoffrey is probably one of the most likeable heroes in Gellis' books. The time is during the reign of King John. The historical facts are accurate but the portraits of some of the historical figures may drive people interested in history to the texts to discover the accuracy of the portrayals.
Katie
Definitely more steamy than the previous two books in the series. It was fascinating to get a historical perspective regarding King John and the Magna Carta. Roberta Gellis is amazing at providing a historical background for her characters. Each marriage is different and offers insights into the relationship between men and women.
Jessica Lauryn
I loved the premise of this story, and watching heroine Joanna fall literally (and unknowingly) into the arms of hero Geoffrey. Their chemisty is amazing and we're rooting that they'll get together from the very beginning. Second half of the story was a little slow for me but by then I was so hooked I hardly cared.
Barb
I made it to page 419 and had to give up. For me the story just lost it's momentum. I tried two times to pick it up again and each time was disappointed.
Veronica Lindsey
Good historical romance. Lots of detail On to book 4.
Jordan Mierek
Um...somewhat disturbing.
Susan Laine
Aug 26, 2009 Susan Laine marked it as to-read
Shelves: have
have
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Miriam
Miriam added it
Dec 30, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
June
June marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Dawn
Dawn added it
Nov 29, 2014
  • Shields of Pride
  • Summer's Storm (The Graistan Chronicles, #2)
  • Red Adam's Lady
  • The Shattered Rose (Dark Champion, #3)
  • Warrior Bride
  • Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens
  • Betrothed (Montagues, #2)
  • The Angel and the Prince
  • Master of Torment (Blood Sword Legacy, #2)
  • A Winter Ballad
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Midnight (Robin Hood, #2)
Roberta Gellis has been one of the most successful writers of historical fiction of the last few decades, having published about 25 meticulously researched historical novels since 1964. She has been married to her husband Charles for over 50 years and they live together in Lafayette, Indiana with a lively Lakeland terrier called Taffy. She has one child called Mark.

Her page at the Internet Specula
More about Roberta Gellis...

The Roselynde Chronicles (7 books)
  • Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1)
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
  • Gilliane (The Roselynde Chronicles, #4)
  • Rhiannon (The Roselynde Chronicles, #5)
  • Sybelle (The Roselynde Chronicles, #6)
  • Desiree (The Roselynde Chronicles, #7)
Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1) A Mortal Bane (Magdalene La Batarde, #1) Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2) A Personal Devil (Magdalene la Batarde, #2) Gilliane (The Roselynde Chronicles, #4)