Start by marking “The Secrets of the Tarot: Origins, History, and Symbolism” as Want to Read:
The Secrets of the Tarot: Origins, History, and Symbolism

The Secrets of the Tarot: Origins, History, and Symbolism

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Fully illustrated with all-new color versions of the complete traditional Tarot deck, this is an appreciation of the history and meaning of the cards.
Published 1984 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of the Tarot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of the Tarot

Warwick
Barbara G Walker is the sort of woman you imagine probably dances around her garden at midnight, naked, daubed in her own menstrual blood and wearing a tiara made of wheat. I find her very endearing, in a sort of 1980s west-coast-US kind of way. Her bibliography is neatly divided between what you might call ‘feminist spirituality’ books (mostly to do with supposed pre-modern matriarchal goddesses), and, strangely enough, knitting designs, which apparently are classics of their kind.

This book, an
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Tarot cards have intrigued me every since I've seen a deck. They're so pretty and mysterious and so different, yet so closely related in look to our familiar playing cards, and so many of the decks are rich in symbolism. I started collecting decks, and even reading them for friends for fun, even though I'm a thorough-going rationalist and don't believe they can be tools of divination.

I also don't believe in a lot of nonsense promulgated about their origins. The Wiki will tell you there's just n
Teleri
Feb 29, 2012 Teleri rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A Dianic Wiccan who is a bit eclectic but very Goddess- centered.
Shelves: tarot
Walker's feminine-centric research is often criticized. I always kind of liked her, & worked with this deck quite well for a while.
Anhelo
Anhelo is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Erriel
Erriel added it
Feb 01, 2015
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Tyleen
Tyleen marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
欣瑋 董
欣瑋 董 marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Evgenia
Evgenia marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Kelsea Dawn Hume
Kelsea Dawn Hume marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Kay Roussel
Kay Roussel marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Debrah L. Penniston
Debrah L. Penniston marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Marz
Marz added it
Apr 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Barbara Walker studied journalism at the University of Pennsylvania and then took a reporting job at the Washington Star in DC. During her work as a reporter, she became increasingly interested in feminism and women's issues.

Her writing career has been split between knitting instruction books, produced in the late 1960s through the mid-80s; and women's studies and mythology books, produced from t
More about Barbara G. Walker...
A Treasury of Knitting Patterns The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns The Woman's Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred Objects Charted Knitting Designs: A Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns