Start by marking “Goodbye Mickey Mouse” as Want to Read:
Goodbye Mickey Mouse

Goodbye Mickey Mouse

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In Goodbye Mickey Mouse Len Deighton has written his best novel yet: a brilliant, multi-dimensional picture of what it is to be at war… and what it was to be in love in the England of 1944.

Goodbye Mickey Mouse is Deighton’s fourteenth novel and a vivid evocation of wartime England, the story of a group of American fighter pilots flying escort missions over Germany in the w
Published May 28th 2009 by Harper (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Goodbye Mickey Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodbye Mickey Mouse

Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in July 2004.

It seems obvious to compare this novel set in an American fighter unit stationed on a Norfolk airfield in the Second World War with Deighton's earlier Bomber. But although the setting is similar, there are many differences between the novels, at several levels. The tensions between the Americans and the locals - the pilots trying hard to live up to the "overpaid, oversexed and over here" cliché - bring a different atmosphere to the story, as does
Nicole
Maybe it was the visit to Arnhem and the D-Day remembrances but it was finally time to reread a book that has haunted me for years. When I was 16 this book broke my heart. Twenty pages from the end, with tears streaming down my face, I threw it into the sprinklers to ruin it and never finished it. The characters are subtly drawn, revealed but never fully known, just as they would be if they were real acquaintances. The plot development is well paced, building a picture and story and then ripping ...more
Vikram
Len Deighton spent several weeks at a US Airbase, living the life of an airman, wearing a flight suit, eating and drinking with flyers at their barbecues and even flying (in the back seat) of an F4 Phantom, so as to get an idea of their life.

This book, Goodbye Mickey Mouse, is a very well written account of the atmosphere on a US airbase during World War II, with a wide variety of characters woven into an interesting tale...
Ian Fraser
Evocative, poignant historical novel rich in detail. A sense of what it might have been like for young American Mustang fighter pilots in East Anglia in 1944, escorting bombers into the heart of Germany, knowing full well it might be their last mission. And what it was like, in those circumstances, being in love, and living life to the maximum, to the edge. At the centre of the novel are two young men: the reserved, but romantic, Captain Jamie Farebrother, a very fine pilot, estranged son of a d ...more
Sonja
I finished this one over the weekend... I actually picked it up for my son (the pilot), but I started it and found it was interestingly written. I don't usually read 'war' novels, but this one was more about the relationships than the war.

Kim
Len Deighton has written some very wonderful historical fiction novels that are meticulous in historical detail and enjoyable fiction reads. "Goodbye Mickey Mouse" is another of those books that tells the story of being an American Air Force pilot stationed in England in 1944. It tells the story of how they interacted with the people of the near by villages, the missions they flew and the loves they met and conquered while they were there.

A very colorful read with a few plot twists along the way
Gareth Evans
I have read a number of Deighton's spy novels and his quirky, but excellent, second world war history, so I fully expected this to be a 4 or 5 star rating. Whilst this is a good solid, entertaining book, it really didn't come alive for me. Deighton's dialogue is usually excellent, but perhaps because of the need to introduce some historical facts, it became stilted at times. I have to confess that I did read this book in relatively short snatches while on a long business trip and this may have i ...more
Edwin  Klemm
A book that started out so good turned out to be a little bit of a disappointment. It had a good title just wish the book could have been as good.
Edwin Kort
Jun 28, 2012 Edwin Kort rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Niemand
Shelves: ww2
Tjonge jonge. Wat een slecht verhaal. Geen moment van echte spanning. Gauw maar vergeten. Jammer van mijn tijd geweest. Deighton's andere boeken zijn stukken beter. Dit haalt zeker het niveau niet die ik van hem ken in het boek SS-GB by Len Deighton SS-GB.

Simon
Jul 23, 2011 Simon added it
Len Deighton does it again, another story in which the reader feels immersed in the world of the characters. Along with a detailed back drop and a unique format, each chapter from the point of view of a particular character, this novel is engrossing and entertaining but most of all involves the emotions of the reader.
Marc Dauphin
Another masterpiece by Mr Deighton.
A very moving book filled with nostalgia, yet he made me feel as if I truly was in 1943-44. Rich in historical details, and with a plot that will surprise readers at the end. A most moving book with strong, well carved out, and very believeable characters. One of my top 10 ever.
Tim
Another meticulously detailed and researched near factual novel,about an American airfield in Britain, it's pilots, crews, officers and girls.
Apparently it's very popular with women as for once Deighton does show them as very distinctive characters and he seems to have considerable empathy.
Ray Grasshoff
Not a great novel, but very readable and making a decent contribution, primarily for the light it sheds on at least some of the British population's dim view of the antics and presence of American soldiers on British soil during World War II.
Louis
The level of detail in this book is phenomenal - in his introduction, Deighton explains the lengths of research he went to, and it shows. The story is strong, but I was less keen on the epilogue - I felt it unnecessary.
Arlene Richards
This book is written more for the men with detailed technical descriptions of airplanes and flying out of Britain in WW2. However there is enough plot and human interest elements to keep me engaged and reading.
Graf
A group of American fighter pilots assigned to B-17 support settle in during the winter of 1944-45 in Cambridshire, England. The plot wanders and the characters are undeveloped. Deighton should have done better.
Jeff
Soap Opera about a group of pilots at the end of World War II and the women thvey love. The book takes off when the pilots are in the air fighting nazis, but spends the rest of the time stuck in the mud.
Chris O'neill
Thoroughly enjoyable, exciting air battles with rich texture of the time but...heartbreaking.
carl  theaker

A look at a hotshot P-51 pilot and his disenchantment
with having to do the non-glory ground support role.
As with most Deighton books, great on detail, a good read.
Matt
An enjoyable read, but i found it somewhat lacking compared to some great reviews I had read and nowhere near as strong as the previous book of his I read "bomber"
Chris
A sad story about love and war highlighting the dissonance between maximizing a fighting force while simultaneously grinding it down to the hilt.
jeffrey
It's been a long while since I read this, but I remember it being great in the details of the experience of flying a P-51 Mustang.
James
Really enjoyed it. Not the greatest war story, but something about it just made it a good read
Kristopher
A little dry, a little vague, but still a good if unsurprising read.
Mklosner2
War is sometimes funny as hell -if you live.
John Polson
Interesting - a Mustang Squadron - in 1944 UK!
Jacob Houghton
Great bedtime story at age 5 or 6.
Dustin Flint
Dustin Flint marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Kerry
Kerry added it
Dec 19, 2014
Mike Mcconnell
Mike Mcconnell marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • The Dirty Dozen
  • Patton: A Biography
  • Dirty Little Secrets of World War II: Military Information No One Told You about the Greatest, Most Terrible War in History
  • Hitler's War
  • Partisans
  • Cold Harbour
  • Most Secret
  • The Leader And The Damned
  • A Century of War: Anglo-American Oil Politics and the New World Order
  • Win, Lose or Die (John Gardner's Bond, #8)
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin (Bbc Radio Collection) Abridged
  • Bomber Command
  • Southern Lady, Yankee Spy: The True Story of Elizabeth Van Lew, a Union Agent in the Heart of the Confederacy
  • Officer Factory (CASSELL MILITARY PAPERBACKS)
  • Once There Was a War
  • Drugs, Oil & War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia & Indochina
  • The Angry Hills
  • The Annotated Turing: A Guided Tour Through Alan Turing's Historic Paper on Computability and the Turing Machine
Deighton was born in Marylebone, London, in 1929. His father was a chauffeur and mechanic, and his mother was a part-time cook.After leaving school, Deighton worked as a railway clerk before performing his National Service, which he spent as a photographer for the Royal Air Force's Special Investigation Branch. After discharge from the RAF, he studied at St Martin's School of Art in London in 1949 ...more
More about Len Deighton...
The Ipcress File (Secret File, #1) Berlin Game (Bernard Samson, #1) Mexico Set (Bernard Samson, #2) London Match (Bernard Samson, #3) Funeral in Berlin