Start by marking “Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer” as Want to Read:
Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer

Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer

Trained as a physician, and--after four decades of antinuclear activism--thoroughly versed in the science of nuclear energy, the bestselling author of "Nuclear Madness" turns her attention from nuclear bombs to nuclear lightbulbs. As she makes meticulously clear in this work, the world cannot withstand either.
Published September 20th 2006 by New Press, The

To ask other readers questions about Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nuclear Power Is Not the Answer

Mar 28, 2011 Matt rated it liked it
A short overview of the problem of nuclear power - from the costs and heavy government subsidies to the damage done to the environment and nearby communities. Caldicott predicts that another meltdown on the level of Chernobyl would essentially change public opinion and make building new nuclear power plants a risky investment. With what is going on in Japan, we're starting to see some of that. However, the bigger problem is that these plants were only built to last 40 years, meaning we have agin ...more
D Books
Oct 04, 2011 D Books rated it liked it
Since I work in the healthcare field, I really couldn’t understand the technical side of this book when it delved into kilowatts and petajules production by nuclear power plants. However, I did work my way through this type of language and got the jest of this book: we need to use more clean renewable energy sources rather than continue down the road of building more nuclear power plants and using the energy produced by them. The author does tend to sound slightly paranoid when she repeatedly di ...more
Dan Sharber
i have a good friend who is real left wing and very concerned about the environment. he is so concerned about rising co2 concentrations in the atmosphere and our need to reduce them immediately that he has said we should use nuclear power generation to get off fossil fuels. i never agreed with that logic but i was usually stumped as to how to make a clear, concise and compelling argument against it. this book has given me the tools i need to do just that. nuclear power is in no way clean. the ma ...more
May 30, 2011 Andy rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this. we definitely need better answers to our energy crisis....Ms Caldicott is very well-versed in nuclear power. She rebuffs the critics with her facts and plain-english use describing the nuclear industry, its dis and misinformation, as well the past history and what we have to look forward to..
Tim Janakos
Jul 13, 2009 Tim Janakos rated it really liked it
Of course I appreciate everything Helen has written and all the incredible work she has done to expose the lies of the nuclear power industry, but even though I find this book very enlightening, I also naturally find it quite depressing. But as a Bodhisattva, I'm called upon to go to where the suffering and injustice is, to bring light to it and change it. So I have to keep reading her works.
Jul 09, 2009 Deepgeek rated it it was amazing
The true cost includes Uranium mining deaths, mining CO2 emisssions, reprocessing chloroflorocarbon emmisions. Effects of Thermal as well as chemical and nuclear pollution are examined as well. If you are a "Geek" by nature, you will love the progression of cold hard facts to a scientific conclusion.
Nov 28, 2007 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who would like to keep living & breathing
Shelves: non-fiction
You could either take the time to go read this very interesting and well-researched book or just take my word for it when I say, on behalf of Helen Caldicott: the promise of nuclear power is a compromised, sordid lie that you would do best to spit upon.
May 18, 2012 John added it
Great overview of the main issues involved in the use of nuclear power. I hadn't realized the scope of the dangers, especially the continued risks to miners and their communities, and the limited reserves of uranium that can be easily processed.
Kelsey Ward
Kelsey Ward rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Stephen T  Webster
Stephen T Webster rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Andrea V
Andrea V rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Bunchofbeets rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2010
unfccc Bali
unfccc Bali rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2007
John McCarroll
John McCarroll rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Patrick rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Emily Chebul
Emily Chebul rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Boobarella rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2009
Rachael Marsh
Rachael Marsh rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Aya Ibrahim
Aya Ibrahim rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Oct 28, 2007 Erik09 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adults
The Role of Atom in human life
Martin Empson
Martin Empson rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2011
Bookworm rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Matt rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2012
Justin rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2009
Dave L.
Dave L. rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2012
Simon Hukin
Simon Hukin rated it liked it
May 07, 2011
David Bethune
David Bethune rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Justin rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Alyson rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012