Phoebe the Spy

Phoebe the Spy

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  509 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Someone is planning to kill George Washington, and young Phoebe Fraunces is trying to save his life. Phoebe gets a job as George Washington's housekeeper, but her real job is to work as a spy. She listens and watches very carefully, and she meets her father every day to tell him what she has learned. One day Phoebe's father tells her that Washington is planning to leave to...more
Published August 5th 2002 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1977)

This was a fabulous read, lots of fun for kids to get a different perspective of George Washington and revolutionary times from a young black girl's eyes. This is the true story of how a little free black girl and her father saved George Washington's life. I Highly recommend it! Grades 2-6
Elise Harkey
This is a fairly easy to read book (although I wouldn't classify it as a reader). I love to find "easy" books for children that have compelling characters, interesting action, historical contexts and especially ones that inspire bravery. This book does all of that, and it's enjoyable.
SCES
Jan 17, 2011 SCES rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: r
This is a great little (true) story about how an African-American girl saved the life of George Washington. This would be a great addition to your study of the American Revolution. Kids seemed to enjoy! Many wonder why they have never heard of the story. -Susan
Andrea
How a young girl discovers an assassination plot. The murderer is someone who is friendly and brings her gifts. Her watchfulness saves the day. Perfect for discussion with kids about who you can trust and what it means to be a hero.
Nicholeen
Fantastic book about the revolution. I think I am going to suggest it to the Liberty Girls, instead of Felicity. I just need to find other books to go with it. Any ideas?
Ekram
Rachael
I enjoyed this book, which I totally found by chance on the shelf at the Library, but it really left me curious and wanting more. The author's note at the end states that the book is essentially historically accurate, but what does that mean really? She says that Phoebe's father, Samuel Fraunces, really did own a tavern in New York City in the 1700s and he was rewarded for his loyalty to the newly organized USA. In fact, I found out online, that the Tavern is still open and serves very expensive...more
Avaladez1
The story of this text was very confusing and interesting at the same time. Its about a young female spy working for a rich family to spy on a certain indidvidual who has been working on a way to take the family's wealth. D uring the final chapter the crook makes his well thought out plan to take the family's wealth. Not knowing the sopposed daughter Phobe was a spy for the local authorities they upprehanded the crook and took him into coustedy.
The reason I chose this book is because during su...more
Catherine
Very interesting and suspenseful story about a little known attempt on George Washington's life and the free black teenager who saved him.
Anne
Feb 17, 2014 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: young readers
Recommended to Anne by: Sonlight
Shelves: sonlight-books
Fun little historical read; and we now have a new spot to visit the next time we're in NYC!
Nicole Flores
This children's book is interesting because it keeps the children in suspense. Phoebe is a woman assigned by her father to be a spy around George Washington Her mission is to find out who is trying to murder him. As the story unfolds the children learn how Phoebe solves this mystery. Iwould use this book during my American Revolution Unit for literature circlereading. Although the book is fiction there are many historical facts that reinforce what the children are learning in class.
Stacy Fausett
This was interesting enough to grab my children's attention even the 17 year old. Great history as well as story with suspense that holds the interest of children of all ages.
This is one of my absolute favorite books and I loved using it in my 4th grade classroom. I love Phoebe, I love George Washington, I love the mystery and the twist. I love this book so much that I want to name my dog Phoebe the Spy. Fortunately for the dog, my husband thinks this is a terrible idea.
Marilyn
The dedication in this book is to Jean Fritz. This is very appropriate. It reads like an easy reader Jean Fritz book with an element of mystery. We loved this book. It's so amazing to try and imagine revolutionary times. I'm looking forward to visiting this tavern in New York.
Kimberly
This book has been on my Mom's classroom bookshelf for as long as I can remember and I never read it. Today I was sorting through her books, deciding which to give away, and started paging through. I couldn't put it down until it was done. Great suspenseful history story for kids.
Savanna
i learned alot from this book.
one time my dad was talking and i tolled hime about a girl who saved the presidant, well he thought i was making it up.i give it an extra star for giving me a fact the 6 years later i could use to out smart my dad!
Lorena
It was a cute enough (and true) story, but the slave comments about Washington really bothered me. I think they were inaccurate and cruel. It makes me question other parts of the story. I would like to read another (unbiased) account.
Michelle Polk
A great book to include in a unit study or just read out loud to your children. It is filled with excitement and intrigue for children. There is a book two to Phoebe the Spy!
Lilly Fife
This was a really good book. It's about phoebe having to work as a maid at George Washington's house, and,and,....
you'll have to read to find out though.
Christina
Great little book about a true event set during the American Revolution. The kids were riveted, and it's nice to see a little girl as the hero.
Sydney
I remember reading this when I was younger. I even did a skit of this book with some friends for a project at a co-op we were doing.
Annarose
One of my all-time favorite books when I was a kid! It still is one. Also one of my favorite school books ever!
Alicia
Josh and I loved this short story about a 13 year old girl who saved George Washington's life.
Courtney
what a brave girl! helped me think about life during this time, how hard it must have been
Pickle
Ruthie
short,sweet,and right to the point!
Madeline
I really liked this book.
Skye
Cute book!
  • And Then What Happened, Paul Revere?
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • Om-Kas-Toe: Blackfeet Twin Captures an Elkdog (Amazing Indian Children Series)
  • Sarah Whitcher's Story
  • Pocahontas And The Strangers
  • Toliver's Secret
  • Pedro's Journal
  • The Thanksgiving Story
  • Walk The World's Rim
  • Calico Bush
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • The Corn Grows Ripe
  • Swift Rivers
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Imprisoned in the Golden City